Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Canada that do not fit into any other Canada sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Lonely but not alone

Default Prison guards to strike?

When I visited my boyfriend last week, one of the guards said they were on "slowdown". We figured they meant they were taking their time and doing as little as possible to see if they strike in a couple of weeks.

Visitors were stuck in the waiting room for well over an hour before they allowed people to visit.

I'm wondering if anyone else if experiencing "slowdowns"?

I'm not sure if federal prisons have provincial employees as guards, though.

-- Swedish proverb
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Closed

Over an hour in the waiting room !!! Wow, they arent slowing down, they are mimicing the state prisons in the U.S. Just joking, but seriously, I'm a Canadian that travels to a Michigan state prison to visit my husband and I always wait over an hour, never less.

Witchlinblue
Old 05-31-2005, 11:22 PM

The federal gaurds are not OPSEU members and they will not strike as for the provinical buckets they are OPSEU and they will only have essential staff working. My dad is an OPSEU member and unfortunalty I am in a catch 22 cause they are screwing with his benefits , and pension and stuff and I support OPSEU all the way . However my man was in the bucket last time they had a strike and it was not pretty. They were in lockdown the whole time and there was major riots all over ONtario. An hour wait though that sucks... i have been there done that... london bucket must alwasy be on a " SLOW DOWN: cause everytime i visit there I wait forever.... Take care, Jill
Old 06-01-2005, 01:16 AM
Lonely but not alone

Thanks for the info. I wondered if OPSEU would deal with fed pens, too.

They're on lockdown a lot right now, the mail is slow and the captains are bringing them food. It's weird because the strike hasn't started yet. I would have thought they'd face consequences if they "slowed down" like this.

-- Swedish proverb