Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Georgia should be posted here.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 PM

Exclamation Could this be true??~Husbands security level dropped. Could he get early release?

Icalled DOC this morning and wanted to know what my husband security level was if it has been changed. I talk to someone who was really nice. She told me his securitylevel change form medium to minium. I ask was this good and she said yes. I was told that the board looks at it all. She even told me that some inmates do less than a 1/3 of their time and that the system is overcroweded. She said every year they give inmates early release dates do to securiy levels and non violent charges and classes they need to be elgible. I also find out my husband has a detainer, but she said he still can get a tpm but he would be transfered to the county to clear that charge or he has to clear it before he gets a date. Well what do yall think of this?
Old 12-31-2010, 03:10 AM
Donation Award 

Thumbs down Don't Get Your Hopes Up

GA DOC has been over 100% (or darn close to) capacity for years now. They keep just enough locked up not to warrant federal (government) interference. There are thousands of non violent offenders with minimum classifications who have completed classes and are DR free (Mr. Kae included) but I don't see them being released in droves. Its been documented if they let all eligible inmates out just a mere 30 days earlier the state would save tens of millions of dollars. GA DOC would rather cut meals and medical treatment, get rid of technical trade courses, close prisons, and lay off personnel than let inmates out 1 day earlier.

The info that this woman gave you sounds good but personally I'd like to see it in black and white. I would've asked her what is the percentage of those released before 1/3 - hell I would've asked what's the percentage is released at the 1/3 mark. I would've also asked what is her definition of early release because parole is a privilege not a right so technically anything before a max out date is "early".

Its great your husband classification level has dropped. Its a step in the right direction. You should be proactive with your husband's detainer. Have it taken care of before he is close to being paroled. You don't want something like this to delay him coming home. A few of the ladies whose husbands were released recently had to deal with detainers. I'm sure some of them can give you advice on the best way to handle it.

Last edited by kae; 12-31-2010 at 03:27 AM..
Old 12-31-2010, 08:35 PM
Donation Award 

Ok the whole detainer thing is a pain.I think it just depends on how close he is to the other county. My husband had a hold on him in a county that was 8 hours away and his counselor in prison said he has never seen that other county come and get anyone there. So my husband would just sit there until his max out date. Luckily I got the hold lifted and a new court date set for the other charges. My advice to you is make some calls. If you have a lawyer see if they can talk to someone in the other county and get some kind of insight into how likely it will be that the other county will actually come get him. Good luck to you. I know this was a VERY stressful issue for us.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:18 PM

Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kae View Post
GA DOC has been over 100% (or darn close to) capacity for years now. They keep just enough locked up not to warrant federal (government) interference. There are thousands of non violent offenders with minimum classifications who have completed classes and are DR free (Mr. Kae included) but I don't see them being released in droves. Its been documented if they let all eligible inmates out just a mere 30 days earlier the state would save tens of millions of dollars. GA DOC would rather cut meals and medical treatment, get rid of technical trade courses, close prisons, and lay off personnel than let inmates out 1 day earlier.
Thanks for all your input and i kinda use common sense on everything she told me. I knew better than to get my hopes up, but it then give the idea of each day my hubby is away that the next day could be better. I will pray more than ever for the right answer.
The info that this woman gave you sounds good but personally I'd like to see it in black and white. I would've asked her what is the percentage of those released before 1/3 - hell I would've asked what's the percentage is released at the 1/3 mark. I would've also asked what is her definition of early release because parole is a privilege not a right so technically anything before a max out date is "early".

Its great your husband classification level has dropped. Its a step in the right direction. You should be proactive with your husband's detainer. Have it taken care of before he is close to being paroled. You don't want something like this to delay him coming home. A few of the ladies whose husbands were released recently had to deal with detainers. I'm sure some of them can give you advice on the best way to handle it.
I made a mistake writing a reply back to you. I believe it was place in the wrong place.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswifey1 View Post
Ok the whole detainer thing is a pain.I think it just depends on how close he is to the other county. My husband had a hold on him in a county that was 8 hours away and his counselor in prison said he has never seen that other county come and get anyone there. So my husband would just sit there until his max out date. Luckily I got the hold lifted and a new court date set for the other charges. My advice to you is make some calls. If you have a lawyer see if they can talk to someone in the other county and get some kind of insight into how likely it will be that the other county will actually come get him. Good luck to you. I know this was a VERY stressful issue for us.
Thanks for your reply. I know right, but we talk about a lawyer that we have use in the past thats good, so the only problem we have is not really knowing when he will get a tpm, so we can have the money ready when its time. I know that with that we will know just how quick we have to move, but i doubt it will be this year.