Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MAINE Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

MAINE Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Maine - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, Visitation & Phones, mail and more

Old 08-06-2018, 05:35 PM

Default Sentenced to 10 days in county jail: Can I get house arrest? 2 days for 1?

Hi everyone,

First off, I apologize if I am posting this under the incorrect category. I am brand new here and this seemed to be the most approprite place to post this. Here is my situation and the reason for my visit to this forum: I was recently sentenced to serve 10 days in the local county jail for a low-level misdemeanor as a result of a stupid mistake that I made a while back. I also will have 12 months of probation after that (that part I'm not all that worried about, even though I think it's 100% unnecessary). I have never been in any sort of trouble before in my entire life (not even so much as a single speeding or parking ticket) and have absolutely no prior history whatsoever, so this entire ordeal is brand new to me and, frankly, is incredibly scary and intimidating because I have no idea what to expect. I was essentially the victim of overzealous and malicious prosecution and even my attorney thinks that my sentence is a bit excessive, but I digress. I won't get into all of the detailed specifics of my situation, but this was nonviolent and was not a drug or alcohol-related situation (I don't use either). I have been doing a significant amount of research online and have found several sources that indicate that you get credit for 2 days for every 1 day served in county jails. I'm not sure if that is how it is across the board at all jails and in all states, but if that is the case, I should ultimately serve no more than 5 days. Can anyone confirm if this is accurate? Also, this particular jail has serious, serious issues with overcrowding (it's on the news just about every month) and they are almost always well over capacity, so my family and close friends have said that they would be amazed if I was there for more than just a couple of days. They even said that I may just end up simply being booked and then immediately released on such a short sentence. Can anyone with experience provide any insight into this? I am scheduled to go in on a Wednesday evening and am really hoping to be out no later than that Friday. I work 2 jobs full-time (I work approximately 60-70 hours a week) and I absolutely cannot afford to be away from work for 10 days. I have a mortgage and various other bills to pay. In addition to that, my spouse has a myriad of health issues and has had open-heart surgery, so that is another reason why I would hate to be away for that long. Yes, I fully realize that to most people 10 days is nothing, but to me it is, so please don't be harsh or ridicule me for stressing over it. I have far too many responsibilities and obligations, so this is a huge stressor for me. I'm really a good, hardworking, self-sufficient person who made one stupid mistake a couple of years ago and now am having to deal with this. All that I want more than anything is to have this behind me! Never in a million years did I ever think I would end up in this sort of situation.

One last question I have has to do with the possibility of house arrest/confinement. I have been reading a bit about that and am wondering if that would be a possibility. Would this be something that a jail (especially an overcrowded one) would consider if I was to inquire about it when I get there? I have such a short sentence, so I would think that I'd be an ideal candidate for it. I work from home full-time anyway, so this option would at least allow me to continue working and would prevent me from incurring any loss of income. My attorney is currently unavailable, so I cannot ask him.

Thanks for letting me ramble. Sorry that this is a bit long. I'm just absolutely terrified and have no idea what to expect, so any insight, advice/suggestions, and any general feedback as to what I should expect as I go through this experience would be so greatly appreciated!

Last edited by GRL81; 08-06-2018 at 05:54 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2018, 05:48 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,227 Times in 15,242 Posts

Jail credit is going to depend on the state, may be different even county to county, and I'm guessing that your sentence is a local county sentence. I'm surprised that you weren't offered and/or didn't ask for serving only week-ends (technical term as any 2 days a week would usually work). If you've already been sentenced, your attorney may need to file a Motion requesting 2 days a week for 5 weeks and/or house arrest. But I would think these issues should have been broought before the Judge before or at sentencing.

Just breathe....there's no reason to be terrified of doing 10 days. It'll be over before you know it Welcome to PTO

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (08-07-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Jail credit is going to depend on the state, may be different even county to county, and I'm guessing that your sentence is a local county sentence. I'm surprised that you weren't offered and/or didn't ask for serving only week-ends (technical term as any 2 days a week would usually work). If you've already been sentenced, your attorney may need to file a Motion requesting 2 days a week for 5 weeks and/or house arrest. But I would think these issues should have been broought before the Judge before or at sentencing.

Just breathe....there's no reason to be terrified of doing 10 days. It'll be over before you know it Welcome to PTO

Thanks for the response!!! It means a lot! Yes, it is local county. If it helps, I am in Maine. My attorney fought extremely hard with the prosecutor who, for the longest time, was totally unwilling to budge and has a reputation for being EXTREMELY difficult to work with as he is very set in his ways. He originally wanted me to serve 45 days, then was willing to go down to 30 days, then he wanted 14 days, but my lawyer finally talked him down to 10 and he (my lawyer) told me that asking for any less would be pushing it and that I should just accept this deal and run. I've actually been dealing with this case for 2 years because my first attorney ended up becoming very ill at the beginning of my case and we kept having to file multiple continuances due to his illness and he ended up passing away last year, so then I obtained this attorney. He never even mentioned serving only on weekends or house arrest, so I had no idea that these were even options since I have never had to deal with anything like this before and was totally ignorant to the entire process. I honestly just wanted this whole thing to FINALLY be over, so I took my attorney's advice and accepted the deal. I am due to report a week from Wednesday and would REALLY love to be able to get house confinement and, if that isn't possible, at least an early release!

Last edited by GRL81; 08-06-2018 at 06:17 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to GRL81 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 07:12 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

I'm not an attorney, but I don't believe you can get house arrest at this point....so, let's hope for early release

I don't know that they'll let you, but I would call the jail and ask when commissary goes in and when do you actually get it.....depending on those answers, I may then ask if I could order before self-surrender so I would get some while I was there. Otherwise, you could spend most of those 10 days without any nutty bars or honey buns, etc LOL

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 08-06-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I'm not an attorney, but I don't believe you can get house arrest at this point....so, let's hope for early release

I don't know that they'll let you, but I would call the jail and ask when commissary goes in and when do you actually get it.....depending on those answers, I may then ask if I could order before self-surrender so I would get some while I was there. Otherwise, you could spend most of those 10 days without any nutty bars or honey buns, etc LOL
Actually, that was another question that I have. Can I bring my own hygiene products with me? I have an allergy to the sulfates that are in most shampoos/conditioners and soaps/body washes, so I have to use specific ones that are sulfate-free so that I don't break out in a painful, itchy rash. Can I also bring hand lotion? I get very dry skin that cracks, even in the summer. As far as food, I'm actually a vegan and eat a very clean diet, so the nutty bars and honey buns aren't a concern to me! These may seem like slightly ridiculous questions, but, like I said, I've NEVER been anywhere even near a jail before, so I have no idea what's allowed and what's not. I am a woman and I need my conditioner, otherwise I will never get a brush through my hair! I have it all built up in my head what this experience will be like based on what I've seen on TV and in the movies, but I have no idea if that's what it will actually be like. I'm actually a bit concerned about my safety. I'm sure there are murderers in there awaiting trial, which freaks me out a bit. Maybe I'm thinking that it will be much worse than it actually will be, one can only hope!

All I know for 100% certainty is that I have an obligation on August 25th, which is a Saturday, that will require me to travel out of town, so I absolutely need to be out before then. This is an obligation that I can't change. I am going in on the 15th, so the 25th would be my 10th day, but I don't know if they release people on weekends or not. Ugh. I just HAVE to get out of there early!

Last edited by GRL81; 08-06-2018 at 07:38 PM..
Old 08-06-2018, 08:05 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

They're not going to allow you to bring anything in, especially lotions, conditioners etc, unless this a medical condition that your doctor can verify....and its still iffy that you'd be allowed to bring it in. I'm not familiar with Maine, but I will say that large cities have large facilities and are more rambunctious than the smaller communities. But all in all, you'll be just fine

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 08-06-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
They're not going to allow you to bring anything in, especially lotions, conditioners etc, unless this a medical condition that your doctor can verify....and its still iffy that you'd be allowed to bring it in. I'm not familiar with Maine, but I will say that large cities have large facilities and are more rambunctious than the smaller communities. But all in all, you'll be just fine
Ugh. I don't know what I'm going to do. I have allergic reactions if I use hygiene products containing sulfates, so I'll have to try and figure that one out. I'm a bit of a hygiene freak and absolutely have to shower daily, so hopefully something can be worked out! I'm just hoping, praying, and crossing my fingers that I will be there for significantly less than 10 days. All I know for certain is that this jail has had overcrowding issues for quite some time now. In fact, the news just did a story on it a few weeks ago. They have been having to send some inmates to other counties, which costs them a great deal of money. The last I heard, they had about 50-75 more people in there than they were equipped to handle and didn't know what they were going to do. The sooner I am out of there and able to move on with my life, the better. I'm still can't help but worry about my safety. We are far from a huge city, but decent sized, more like a very large town. Hopefully, I won't be around any murderers or other mentally unstable people!
Old 08-06-2018, 08:40 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

What is the capacity of the jail? The one I was in had a capacity of 300, which is really small compared to a city like Louisville - capacity 983, but way more than that are usually booked in.

Don't worry about other's charges, don't ask about other's charges....and don't worry about your safety. Read, write letters, keep mostly to your self...you're gonna be just fine

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 08-06-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
What is the capacity of the jail? The one I was in had a capacity of 300, which is really small compared to a city like Louisville - capacity 983, but way more than that are usually booked in.

Don't worry about other's charges, don't ask about other's charges....and don't worry about your safety. Read, write letters, keep mostly to your self...you're gonna be just fine
This is what I found from a news article from about 6-7 months ago! "licensed to house 157 inmates but on average exceeds that capacity by about 60 people. The issue has burdened staff, exposed the county to liability and run up the costs of operating the facility, which pays between $60 and $100 to board overflow inmates elsewhere, commissioners said."

Read the entire article HERE.

Edited by Admin to conform with PTO Copyright Rules

Last edited by patchouli; 08-07-2018 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Copyright Rules
Old 08-07-2018, 10:23 AM

Well, I surprisingly received a voice mail from my PO this morning. I just called him back and he informed me that the reason he called was to let me know that he doesn't cover my area anymore and that someone else will actually be my PO, so he gave me his name and the date that I need to meet with him. I did ask him about the possibility of doing my time on home confinement and he told me that would be up to the jail to make that decision. I asked him if it is something that they typically do and he said that he has a guy currently doing home confinement for a violation, so it does happen, but that I would need to contact the jail regarding this. I plan to call them in a bit. Fingers crossed! If I was allowed to do home confinement, then I could continue to work and not lose all that income. My normal life is kind of like home confinement anyway since I work 70-80 hours 6 days per week from home and have been doing so for almost 16 years!
patchouli (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 01:26 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

If Maine is like KY, the home incarceration will include an ankle monitor and fees. Here its call HIP = Home Incarceration Program. But 10 days, even at KY's rate of $5 per day is only $50. Maine may be more or less, but still well worth it if you can get it

That's a very small jail, 157 inmates + 60 overage is still only 217...and the majority of those will be men. Though I will say that the number of women incarcerated is increasing fairly quick.

Keep fingers crossed for ya to do HIP!!! Let us know what you find out

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 08-07-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
If Maine is like KY, the home incarceration will include an ankle monitor and fees. Here its call HIP = Home Incarceration Program. But 10 days, even at KY's rate of $5 per day is only $50. Maine may be more or less, but still well worth it if you can get it

That's a very small jail, 157 inmates + 60 overage is still only 217...and the majority of those will be men. Though I will say that the number of women incarcerated is increasing fairly quick.

Keep fingers crossed for ya to do HIP!!! Let us know what you find out
It's really not a very large facility at all! They are actually in the works of trying to purchase another facility, but it apparently is going to take some time. I'd be more than willing and able to pay the fees for home confinement! In fact, I'd be HAPPY to pay for it if it means that I can be at home and continue to work!

My father just stopped by and said that he stopped by the sheriff's office this afternoon and spoke to them about the possibility of home confinement (I didn't even know he was going to do that). My dad was an elected city official for many years, so knows a lot of people here. He was told that home confinement IS a possibility, but that I would need to go in and apply for it, which I plan to do this week. They said if approved, I would have to serve 1/3 of my sentence in the jail, which would only be 3 days, and then could come home to do the rest. I should be an ideal candidate since I have no prior criminal history, my charge was nonviolent, and I have steady employment. Fingers crossed!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GRL81 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-07-2018), Sunnielg (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 03:21 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Yea! Sounds very promising In the meantime, try to relax, focus on something / anything but those 10 days!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 08-07-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Yea! Sounds very promising In the meantime, try to relax, focus on something / anything but those 10 days!
All I'm doing is working and training for my marathon in October, trying to keep my mind preoccupied! It does sound very promising that I will qualify for home confinement! I just have to go in and do that screening assessment for it. I guess they just ask you several different questions to determine if you qualify, which I'm very confident that I will! I looked at the requirements for home/community confinement in our state and I meet all of them! Feeling very hopeful! If I'm at home and working, the time will FLY by and then I can finally move on with my life and leave all of this in the past!
patchouli (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 04:16 PM

Now that I have some free time from work, I'll go ahead and explain my situation a bit more. Essentially what happened was when my husband was out of work for several months after having his open-heart surgery, we had difficulty paying our electric bill because our bills are quite high since we have electric heat, my husband had medical equipment, and I work from home full-time, so things are always running. We also have some of the highest electric rates in the country. We had a TON of medical bills from my husband and medical bill collectors were threatening to put a lien on our home if we didn't pay them, so we had no choice. Our electric company refused to offer us an affordable payment arrangement, even though I tried very hard to work with them and explained the situation. We were relying solely on my income while my husband was out of work (and the very small amount he was getting from short-term disability). We had no idea what we were going to do. We had never been in that sort of financial predicament before. They were threatening to shut us off if we didn't pay a ridiculous amount, which, at the time, we didn't have, and we didn't have anybody who we could ask for help. My parents are retired and I absolutely refused to ask them for financial help. We obviously need electricity in order for me to do my job and earn a living and my husband needed it for his medical equipment and to keep his insulin refrigerated. So, what I ended up doing was asking my parents if I could use my mother's name to open up a new account with the electric company since their account is in my dad's name, which they were completely fine with. However, the electric company wasn't. A few months later, they found out about it while they were doing audits and called and told me that what I did was illegal, which I never knew and thought it was completely fine since I had my mother's permission to use her name and I was actively paying on the old account as much as I could to try and pay it off, and they ended up reporting me to the police for theft of services and I was issued a summons. I paid them full restitution well over a year ago, but the DA took a very firm stance on this and was incredibly difficult to talk down, even though I have no criminal history and had paid full restitution to the power company, and I also explained the entire situation and provided my husband's medical bills to prove the hardship that we had been experiencing at the time. He tried to hit me with a low level felony theft of services charge since the amount was over $1000, but luckily my attorney was eventually able to talk him down to the lowest level of misdemeanor there is. My attorney really wanted me to get a deferred disposition for a year, but the DA wouldn't go for that, no matter how hard he tried. I (along with my family and friends) feel that I was maliciously and overaggressively prosecuted, especially given the circumstances that led to this. It has been a huge ordeal for the past 2 years in dealing with this, but thank goodness the whole thing will be over once I do this time. I feel like my life has been on pause for 2 years because I've had this looming over my head! I've been humiliated and demoralized and my self-esteem and sense of self-worth have been totally shattered throughout this process and I've been made to feel like a horrible person. I'm also emotionally and mentally exhausted. Two years of dealing with this sort of thing is draining! I'm not a horrible person at all. I actually have great respect for the law. Heck, I even went through 12 years of school without a single detention! I'm usually very cerebral, but I made a poor decision during a time of great stress and I'd give anything to be able to go back and do things differently!

Last edited by GRL81; 08-07-2018 at 05:02 PM..
patchouli (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 06:00 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,474 Times in 7,511 Posts

You are training for a marathon on a treadmill, right? Can’t go for a run on home confinement.

You do realize you are going to have to get permission from your PO to leave the state, right?

Your gut is going to go through hell for the time you are jail. Access to vegan dishes is limited, and the quality of food is never very good (except in jails with capacities under 25, where they farm out dietary to local restaurants). Be prepared for this. nutty bars and honey buns are much more palatable to most people, even vegans and clean eaters, when faced with most jail food.

You are going into the women’s sentenced section of the jail. This means you will be surrounded by women who have been sentenced and are serving less than a year. Unless the population of women is so small that they combine pre-trial and sentenced women in the same area.

You are going to have to suck it up when it comes to sulfates and other things because you will be wearing jail issue, right down to your underwear. No matter what your skin condition, always keep your feet covered, hope there’s not a breakout of lice or other cooties, never share cups, cutlery, or take a bite out of anything somebody else has bitten into. It doesn’t matter if you’re there 3 days or 10 days - Hep C doesn’t discriminate.

Keep a journal, read, keep occupied. Don’t play cards. Don’t gamble. Practice good prison etiquette.

You are lucky you didn’t get a felony for fraud. Btw, this will follow you the rest of your life as crimes involving dishonesty don’t usually expire.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
You are training for a marathon on a treadmill, right? Canít go for a run on home confinement.

You do realize you are going to have to get permission from your PO to leave the state, right?

Your gut is going to go through hell for the time you are jail. Access to vegan dishes is limited, and the quality of food is never very good (except in jails with capacities under 25, where they farm out dietary to local restaurants). Be prepared for this. nutty bars and honey buns are much more palatable to most people, even vegans and clean eaters, when faced with most jail food.

You are going into the womenís sentenced section of the jail. This means you will be surrounded by women who have been sentenced and are serving less than a year. Unless the population of women is so small that they combine pre-trial and sentenced women in the same area.

You are going to have to suck it up when it comes to sulfates and other things because you will be wearing jail issue, right down to your underwear. No matter what your skin condition, always keep your feet covered, hope thereís not a breakout of lice or other cooties, never share cups, cutlery, or take a bite out of anything somebody else has bitten into. It doesnít matter if youíre there 3 days or 10 days - Hep C doesnít discriminate.

Keep a journal, read, keep occupied. Donít play cards. Donít gamble. Practice good prison etiquette.

You are lucky you didnít get a felony for fraud. Btw, this will follow you the rest of your life as crimes involving dishonesty donít usually expire.
You seriously think I don't know all of these things????
Old 08-08-2018, 04:15 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,474 Times in 7,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRL81 View Post
You seriously think I don't know all of these things????
Never know what people know or donít know.

Most people donít know that some counties have really, really small jails with only 1 cell for women, or that they farm out food contracts to local restaurants. This is markedly different from say, Cook County, IL, where people are divided up a lot more, food is prepared on location, and the food stuff is the lowest grade possible. Or say CT, where the meals come pre-packaged, heat and eat, and are still of the lowest quality.

My brother, who was on parole at the time, decided to leave state to attend the birth of my little brother's first child. It was a whim. I have had to ask permission of the court to have clients travel 6 miles, to another state, to get dental care while out on bail. Iíve had other clients wonder why something suddenly became federal because they traveled less than a mile.

Might want to exercise caution as you travel this road, or the road is going to get a lot more difficult. I never assume clients actually know what a fraud conviction means for the rest of their lives. I never assume clients know that home confinement means they canít go for a run, or out their driveway for that matter. I never assume that people know that they need permission to go to church when on an ankle monitor.

It would be silly of me to assume that you actually know the detergent that they use for laundry at the facility, or that youíre not going to be wearing your own underwear. And if basic hygiene was so axiomatic that we could assume people already knew it, Hep C, scabies, lice, athletes foot, and the like would not be problematic in prison. 98% of all TB infections are related to incarceration - and thatís in part because not even COs all understand how to prevent or contain an outbreak.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (08-08-2018), safran (08-08-2018), Sarianna (08-09-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 04:35 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,835 Posts

"Unless the population of women is so small that they combine pre-trial and sentenced women in the same area."

I was in 9 different county jails; not one of them had separate housing for sentenced versus non-sentenced women and to be honest, it was less stressful to bunk with somebody accused of murder than it was to have somebody that felt their crime was less bad than the next persons.

After all we were all in jail.

Last edited by safran; 08-08-2018 at 04:42 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 PM

Our county jail does NOT even house women. They are transported two counties way.