Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:45 AM

Default Another wacky percentages thread. Sorry in advance!

I don't want to be a pain but I am really crunching numbers and trying to understand how the calculations are done. I have a loved one that is under the following conditions and am settling on a few discrepancies in sentencing calculations. I have never been involved with this stuff and now I am learning the art of this crap too much lately. I will likely end up passing the BAR when I am done. Crazy amount of crap with all this!!

My question is where do the "percentages" apply?

Do the calculations be done based on the "whole" number of sentencing occurs?

Do the calculations apply to the "remainder" number of time after sentencing occurs?

I see that they have the incentive based numbers like good time etc, and I see that there is current over crowding numbers rating a percentage of 67 2/3%

Knowing where this applies really changes things drastically.

I did two different calculations, I did a calculation of percentage deduction based on the WHOLE sentence, then I tried doing it based on the time after credits. On both examples I notice that the dates I get none of them align with the date posted on the inmate locator. So now I am trying to really understand.

These are calculations based on the deduction from the WHOLE number sentence... then the time served statically sliding the days to adjust final date.
80% -
292 off
1168 to serve
-480 time served
688 final to serve
Monday, July 26, 2021

67% -
482 off
978 to serve
-480 time served
498 final to serve
Sunday, January 17, 2021

33% -
979 off
481 to serve
-480 time served
1 final to serve

the total sentence is 2+2
the posted "parole eligible date is 3/2021
the posted admission date is 7/9/2019

980 @ 80% = 784
Saturday, October 30, 2021
980 @ 67% = 656
Thursday, June 24, 2021
980 @ 33% = 323
Sunday, July 26, 2020
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2019, 08:11 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,080 Times in 15,517 Posts

Im not sure but did you include any of the time she was in jail prior to sentencing (if she didnt bail out)?
I forget what that calculation is.
Is it day for day?

For the record, I could never figure out when my hub was due to get out. (and they didnt have the inmate locator with a *date* of release on it when my hub was in. Quite frustrating)

That's my dog's nose art

Old 07-22-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Im not sure but did you include any of the time she was in jail prior to sentencing (if she didnt bail out)?
I forget what that calculation is.
Is it day for day?

For the record, I could never figure out when my hub was due to get out. (and they didnt have the inmate locator with a *date* of release on it when my hub was in. Quite frustrating)

Well in court they settled on getting her 480 or so days credit for time served. I have done the calculation from the base original sentence, and have done it from when admitted to state. I take off the time served after the calculation is done.

I can I guess also try a third way, and do the math after the agreed upon credits instead of after admission to state. wow three ways to do it.

Its complex but there's only so many ways to do it. I just want to find out what way reaches this march date. Once I find that, I have the formula. I have the formula and I can make a simple way and everyone can use it.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,620 Times in 8,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by studebaker71 View Post
I don't want to be a pain but I am really crunching numbers and trying to understand how the calculations are done.
Gonna be honest with you from the jump-- I read this line and stopped. Lol In the last seven years, my husband's EPD has changed...oh jeez, eight or nine times? Oh, and then they added another one, the YOPD which counts but doesn't depending on the context of the conversation. Truthfully? Unless he was under two years, which I understand her to be, I can't even think about it. He receives regular updates from his counselor and knows his credit earning total to apply. And then there's parole...so, you know. I'm pacing myself.
Hope someone helps you with an answer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (07-23-2019), studebaker71 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:40 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
I have the formula and I can make a simple way and everyone can use it.
Except they can't. I can forward you the calculations I've been sent over the years. They only get us so far. CA changes the laws, CDCR changes the regulations. Out the window it goes. I'm not trying to discourage you in the least, just sharing experience. And maybe letting my system fatigue show a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
studebaker71 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Except they can't. I can forward you the calculations I've been sent over the years. They only get us so far. CA changes the laws, CDCR changes the regulations. Out the window it goes. I'm not trying to discourage you in the least, just sharing experience. And maybe letting my system fatigue show a bit.

Yeah the regulations and all that. My real passion is to understand how they got their number and if it aligns with the court and stuff. I donít trust them at all. It was crooked to begin with.
The Following User Says Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 11:04 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Yeah the regulations and all that. My real passion is to understand how they got their number and if it aligns with the court and stuff. I donít trust them at all. It was crooked to begin with.
I hear ya. It's hard to trust a system that when questions are put to the people in charge of that aspect of their bid literally cannot tell you how the date was reached but insist that it's accurate because the computer told them so.

I so, so hear ya.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
studebaker71 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 03:10 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,242 Times in 2,334 Posts

Try this.

Total sentence (year to serve multiplied by 365, so if 4 years then 365x4=1460 days, 1461 if you count the leap day.)
Minus 480 days served at sentencing credit time (980 days if 4 years to serve)

THEN!
Minus additional days served between sentencing and transfer to prison.
Minus additional credits (presumably 1 day behavior for every 2 days served)

Thatís the base from which they calculate time to serve upon arrival at the prison.

Then factor time served plus hypothetical credited time (assuming no discipline) since she arrived at prison, subtract that from whatever number.

So for hypotheticalís sake, letís say 10 days from sentence to transfer. Thatís 10 actual 5 conduct for 15

980-15=965 remaining, which would be her base (youíd just replace these numbers with her actual sentence.)

Letís say sheís served 30 days since arriving. 30 actual, 15 conduct, 45 total.

965-45=920 to serve

To get a date based on that, youíd then figure out what 2/3rds of 920 is, then calculate that many days ahead to the projected out date. If she gets milestones youíll also need to subtract those days, but that comes later since she is still in reception.

NOW! There is a curveball thrown in by Prop 57 saying that once she has served 100% of her base sentence, excluding alternative sentencing (such as doubling for strikes prior) and enhancements, she is eligible. So if she got 4 years (say 2 years sentence plus 2 years because the time was doubled for three strikes) she would be eligible for consideration at 2 years total time served (not a guarantee like 67% time with conduct time off assuming no disciplinaries, but possible.)

Sentencing has become a lot more complicated after Prop 57. So I donít know if that shed any more light on anything. The only thing I miss about the good olí days as far as time calculations were concerned.......a lot fewer things to take into account.

-Eric

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-24-2019, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
Try this.

Total sentence (year to serve multiplied by 365, so if 4 years then 365x4=1460 days, 1461 if you count the leap day.)
Minus 480 days served at sentencing credit time (980 days if 4 years to serve)

THEN!
Minus additional days served between sentencing and transfer to prison.
Minus additional credits (presumably 1 day behavior for every 2 days served)

Thatís the base from which they calculate time to serve upon arrival at the prison.

Then factor time served plus hypothetical credited time (assuming no discipline) since she arrived at prison, subtract that from whatever number.

So for hypotheticalís sake, letís say 10 days from sentence to transfer. Thatís 10 actual 5 conduct for 15

980-15=965 remaining, which would be her base (youíd just replace these numbers with her actual sentence.)

Letís say sheís served 30 days since arriving. 30 actual, 15 conduct, 45 total.

965-45=920 to serve

To get a date based on that, youíd then figure out what 2/3rds of 920 is, then calculate that many days ahead to the projected out date. If she gets milestones youíll also need to subtract those days, but that comes later since she is still in reception.

NOW! There is a curveball thrown in by Prop 57 saying that once she has served 100% of her base sentence, excluding alternative sentencing (such as doubling for strikes prior) and enhancements, she is eligible. So if she got 4 years (say 2 years sentence plus 2 years because the time was doubled for three strikes) she would be eligible for consideration at 2 years total time served (not a guarantee like 67% time with conduct time off assuming no disciplinaries, but possible.)

Sentencing has become a lot more complicated after Prop 57. So I donít know if that shed any more light on anything. The only thing I miss about the good olí days as far as time calculations were concerned.......a lot fewer things to take into account.

-Eric
Wow ok thatís kinda following some good logic. I mixed some understanding around and possibly included overlapping credits or skewed credits. But I donít understand the logic and how itís applied. Like when these percents are applied. Looks as though they are applied against remainder of time and not the ďwhole sentenceĒ. That makes a big difference.

This kinda makes it like there could be a fair bit of time left l, or in the case of 57 there might be a ticket out of this crap pretty soon.

We will soon see what the counselor will tell her, as the days count down she is closer and closer to that time. I heard she did medical and all that q&a and background and psyche stuff already.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (07-24-2019), missingdee (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 08:26 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

The counselor will be able to provide her with a lot more insight as to her time already served and how her credits break down and what she might be able to do in order to receive more time off her sentence. Her time may recalculate on the site after she sees the counselor (I donít know who does the initial calculation.)

On 57.....the regulations have been very confusing to a lot of us and a lot of questions remain as to calculations. Many people have tried to understand it. Many have failed. What does simplify her calculation a little as far as credit application is that because her entire sentence has been served since May 1st, 2017 (that is an important cutoff date as far as calculations in Prop 57 history) she doesnít have to worry about the old calculation system (80% for second strikers, 85 for violent offenders.)

-Eric

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
The counselor will be able to provide her with a lot more insight as to her time already served and how her credits break down and what she might be able to do in order to receive more time off her sentence. Her time may recalculate on the site after she sees the counselor (I donít know who does the initial calculation.)

On 57.....the regulations have been very confusing to a lot of us and a lot of questions remain as to calculations. Many people have tried to understand it. Many have failed. What does simplify her calculation a little as far as credit application is that because her entire sentence has been served since May 1st, 2017 (that is an important cutoff date as far as calculations in Prop 57 history) she doesnít have to worry about the old calculation system (80% for second strikers, 85 for violent offenders.)

-Eric
yeah she got the base 80% second striker but didn't get tagged violent though so that was a blessing. it wasn't freaking violent at all anyways which is a joke.
missingdee (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 10:33 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Quote:
yeah she got the base 80% second striker but didn't get tagged violent though so that was a blessing. it wasn't freaking violent at all anyways which is a joke.

Not sure what her conviction was for exactly, but if it did not fall under penal code 667.5(c) then it would not be a violent offense.

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-24-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Not sure what her conviction was for exactly, but if it did not fall under penal code 667.5(c) then it would not be a violent offense.
No it doesnít fall under those at all. It was ďstalkingĒ. And if you think 4 Instagram pictures and 2 care packages to her kids with magazines and notebooks and chocolates is bad... That is literally the items in discovery and the one charge that ďstuckĒ to our plea date. Of course like the system works, itís all about stressing the person out till they plea, so damn shitty. In another universe I would have told her to fight to forever but we were both scared, they pressured it to try and give her 12 years. It was the worst damn thing ever. Nobody hurt, nothing broken, nothing stolen, no drugs used or involved, nothing.

Now Iím getting all worked up again hahaha
missingdee (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 09:38 PM

Thanked 1,520 Times in 627 Posts

Quote:
No it doesnít fall under those at all. It was ďstalkingĒ. And if you think 4 Instagram pictures and 2 care packages to her kids with magazines and notebooks and chocolates is bad... That is literally the items in discovery and the one charge that ďstuckĒ to our plea date. Of course like the system works, itís all about stressing the person out till they plea, so damn shitty. In another universe I would have told her to fight to forever but we were both scared, they pressured it to try and give her 12 years. It was the worst damn thing ever. Nobody hurt, nothing broken, nothing stolen, no drugs used or involved, nothing.

Now Iím getting all worked up again hahaha
12 years is hard to digest, I still get worked up. As Dee has described, understanding CDCR math is well....understanding the new new math. Over time I convinced myself they do get calculations correct on the inmate locator.

Using their math....

You seem to be diving in trying to understand WTF is going on. That is the right first step to do if you want to help. Good for you on that. Answers that might help, if they exist, will only come if you keep doing that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
missingdee (07-25-2019), studebaker71 (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
12 years is hard to digest, I still get worked up. As Dee has described, understanding CDCR math is well....understanding the new new math. Over time I convinced myself they do get calculations correct on the inmate locator.

Using their math....

You seem to be diving in trying to understand WTF is going on. That is the right first step to do if you want to help. Good for you on that. Answers that might help, if they exist, will only come if you keep doing that.

Knowing this stuff could be a total business. The way I think about it, these people and this information should be attainable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
missingdee (07-25-2019), sidewalker (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 07:36 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,080 Times in 15,517 Posts

**these people and this information should be attainable.**
Well now, we cant have THAT now can we?

Hear ya on the getting worked up. I avoid thinking about it all or I'd be a raving b!tch.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
missingdee (07-25-2019), qwerty (08-22-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 06:13 PM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
I avoid thinking about it all or I'd be a raving b!tch.

Me too!

Let's give 'em something to talk about!

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-23-2019)