Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Ohio that do not fit into any other Ohio sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:32 PM
miss myliss (:

Default case manager!

im not sure where to put this thread, so i guess ill put it here. ive been worried about the whole appeal process and about deont'e in general because i havent heard from him much lately..and i really want to get in contact with his case manager. i called a long time ago when he was first transferred to lorain and a kind lady sent me to his case managers line, but it went to voicemail..so i never got the number. now ive been calling for the past week and nobody will let me get in contact with his case manager. today the guy had an attitude like no other asking why i wanted to get in contact with the case manager. i told him and he said, well hes in general population, hes fine, and i was like "so can i still get in contact with his case manager" the guy was like..uh no and hung up on me, like what the..? is there anyway anyone knows i can get in contact with his case manager?
Old 06-12-2007, 04:42 PM
God is Good ALL the Time

I know you have to make arrangements for a special visit through the case manager, so I might think about using that excuse as the premise and then going from there. I asked about a special visit at visitation and was given the case manager's extention. I've held onto the extention, and at least at OSP, they have an automated system, and I just dial him up and lave him voice messages all the time. Good Luck.

God Bless You !!!

pam
i reach for you and find my heart"

OVERTURN THE WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS OF THE LUCASVILLE UPRISING !!!!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:12 PM
HomeSoon?

Is he still in Lorain or did he get transferred, I thought I remember you writing he was being moved to Marion (MCI) is that correct or am I wrong? If he is let me know what dorm or block he is in and maybe I can help you.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:42 AM
miss myliss (:

no he never got transferred. hes been in lorain now for about five months. we were under the impression hed only be at lorain for a few weeks. nope, still there. his case manager said he would be getting transferred to marion, BUT, apparrently hes being transferred to mansfield now..
Old 06-13-2007, 09:08 PM
HomeSoon?

The only thing I can offer is don't give up. Keep trying. Some case managers are very helpful and some are totally worthless. Keep your head up hon.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Closed

According to my coworker who works at ODRC, it's only SUPPOSED to take 6 weeks at LCI before being transferred to your parent prison. That hasn't been my case with my defendants. Many are there for 3-4 months...some even more than that.

Sit tight. You want to keep the prison folk on your side so don't call unless it's a true emergency. He may be going through a tough time and may be secluding himself from the outside world. Send him uplifting letters knowing you're supporting him and you'll probably hear from him soon.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 PM
miss myliss (:

yeah they told him "oh you'll be here for a few weeks" hes pushing five months! i for sure thought he'd been transferred off by now. well thanks for the kind words and the advice!
Old 06-15-2007, 02:36 PM

Just some thoughts ...

He was originally going to go to Marion -- a level 2 institution. He is now going to be transferred to Mansfield -- a level 3 institution. Again, these are just some thoughts, but it appears that he got into enough trouble to have his security level increased from a 2 to a 3, which would mean that he spent some time in segregation at Lorain, and this could explain why he has been there so much longer than the average inmate.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:49 PM

Ditto to what Megan said. If you are not an immediate family member (wife or parent), don't call Case Manager or anyone unless it's a true emergency. Even then, they may not want to chat with you due to the privacy laws in force. I know it's very difficult to be patient, but you have to be. There are any number of reasons why you may not hear much from him, so write to him often giving him encouragement and maybe he'll respond with a letter or a phone call. When you write, ask him if he has talked with his Case Manager about a transfer. Sometimes they have to wait for beds to open in another prison due to the over crowding. That happens a lot. Hope you hear from him soon.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Banned

I hope you get the news yer looking for. I know Im NOT my mans wife yet and while at first his previous case manager wanted to use that with me on very first phone call I was polite but I became persistant. Needless to say his case manager when he was at the max was more involved and helped him much more than the one he has at Ross. Persistance sometimes is the key and sometimes not...good luck.

Bella
Old 06-18-2007, 04:16 PM
God is Good ALL the Time

respectful persistence. you get more with honey than you do vinegar. I don't always get responses to my contact, but it usually produces results. then again, I DO pick my battles. It lets the Case Workers know that your man does have family on the outside that cares and isn't going to sit back if your man is being mistreated.

Good Luck and God Bless You.

pam
i reach for you and find my heart"

OVERTURN THE WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS OF THE LUCASVILLE UPRISING !!!!!!
Old 07-01-2007, 08:02 PM

Hope I can give you guys some insight as I am a prison employee. I and many others do realize that there are some very good people locked up with caring families. Now here's the part that you don't want to hear. Case managers on the inside are very different from case managers in the free world and as such have very different duties. They are very much micro managed and task directed that it gives them very little time to return phone calls or sad to say one on one time with all the inmates. They can have up to 500 inmates on their case load and most deal with what we call "putting out fires". So unless it is an emergency your probably not going to hear from one. What do they do??? Respond to the judge's inquires, prepare release packets, run programs, set up treatment plans, conduct security level reviews, read the psi's, sit on the rules infraction board, work with the parole board, social security, all the while having a stream of inmates in and out of their office, and document, document, document... Their number one complaint is that they can't get anything done due to the phone calls from the families. Believe me when I say it is impossible to return all the phone calls. When you do finally make contact with one you can bet that there is a line of inmates looking in their office and more than likely one sitting across their desk from them. Try to remember that they are in an adult facility and as such your information regarding them should primarily come from them. I know that most of your loved ones have put their families through the ropes. Just imagine having hundreds of them either whining or demanding at you for 8 hours. We are not hidden away from them and are in their housing units in their sight during our shift. Please read between the lines when they complain to you and when it comes to your concerns ask yourself this.......is this a concern that can wait for an answer from the inmate. However, we do want to know about anything that you become aware of that may be harmful to your loved one including statements he may make about hurting himself. Those are critical and will be taken very seriously. In the smaller institutions the case manager may have time to address other areas of interest with you also. However keep in mind in the bigger institutions that may not be possible, however all will listen to the very serious concerns. I don't mean to be unfeeling but try to find a support group (such as this forum) for yourself to talk to as the case managers are extremely busy taking care of the needs of all inmates on their caseload. They all have open office hours and are accessable to the inmates, the phone calls only cut into the inmate's time with the staff. The problem is most don't want to wait in line to see their case manager and will then ask their families to call. Some inmates have a very hard time adjusting and do require and do receive more one on one time. I will be glad to answer as many questions as I can if you care to ask me.

Last edited by mystery1; 07-01-2007 at 08:04 PM..
Old 07-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Closed

That's a very helpful post, mystery. You might want to consider posting something similar in the general prison talk boards...because I think it would apply to darn near every prison in the country.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:27 PM
miss myliss (:

as meganlea said, that was very helpful, thanks a lot mystery! its good to hear from someone who works on the inside and knows whats really going on! thanks again!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:28 PM

I never encountered a response like that from the case manager. They're usually pretty nice and pretty helpful but I haven't contacted them often.

I did have a lot of problems with the mailroom at the place he is now (Warren) but that wasn't just me having the problems and there have been staff changes and things are now better.

At least they did tell you he's in general population and okay.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:35 PM

I was once a case worker for Department of Social Services in Michigan with 383 families on my caseload (over 500 people) so I know what Mystery 1 is saying. For a while we had "group reviews" where I would have to put people through the indignity of cattle calls where I would go to the reception area and call 30 households at a time. Now I ask you how could I possibly help anyone with that many people and about 4 minutes per client at the group reviews.

I can just imagine how difficult it must be for the people who manage caseloads in the prisons. My loved one is innocent and has had a rough time because he's not a trouble maker and tries to stay busy and positive.

Though our loved ones are unique and special to us the system has to probably basically treat everyone as the worst possible offender to keep everyone safe. It's discouraging that it has to be this way, especially when the loved one is in no way shape or form guilty of any of the charges and waiting for a new trial.