Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Friends & Families of Addicts
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Friends & Families of Addicts Information for coping, dealing & living with a loved one's addictive behavior.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:22 PM

Default Normal for a drug addict to say he's done with drugs when in jail?

Is it normal for a drug addict to say he's done with drugs when they go to jail do they really believe in their minds that they are done with drugs when they are in there or just for the moment till they can get something don't no much about addiction really can't judge people
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2020, 07:58 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,142 Times in 17,135 Posts

Yes'm. All day long. Whether they really feel that way at the moment, I can't answer one way or the other except to say that some are sincere - and stick to it. Some are sincere - but fall off the wagon. Some are big fat liars and have no intention of stopping their drug use.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
e-Tex (07-17-2020), miamac (07-29-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 09:35 PM
Donation Award 

To be honest every individual is different. Some people really strive to be through with drugs when others have a weakness. Drugs are really accessible in some jails/prisons which means that a person will have to have a strong mindset to beat addiction. I've seen people who will do anything to obtain drugs I mean anything. However, it has been a few who had a history but did not participate in those activities.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:23 AM

He could very well be finally realizing that drugs are the source of him being in and out of jail so he is feeling like he is done. As patchouli stated there’s different levels of sincerity. I would do nothing more then to help encourage him to get clean though... Don’t send him anything
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricoluv29 For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-29-2020), patchouli (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 05:24 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,442 Times in 2,240 Posts

Amber... as far as your "story" is concerned, I don't believe a word he's saying. He has proven over and over again that he's full of bull and so far has always gone back to the bad ways which has always brought him back to prison.
I'll believe it when I see it would be the motto I'd go by and until he proves to you he can be a better man/husband/father/positive addition to society I would not chose to believe him.
YOGA62 (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 05:32 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,158 Times in 521 Posts

When he’s asking for money for commissary? Sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
YOGA62 (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
When heís asking for money for commissary? Sure.
Yeah i hear ya he can't get commissary i don't think yet because he's in keep lock he's got a tier 3 ticket for absconding yeah just max out and then be done with parole already i no it's easier said then done im just so happy i found this web site saved my life gave me so much info and learned so much
The Following User Says Thank You to ambermarshall11 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzyMuffling View Post
Amber... as far as your "story" is concerned, I don't believe a word he's saying. He has proven over and over again that he's full of bull and so far has always gone back to the bad ways which has always brought him back to prison.
I'll believe it when I see it would be the motto I'd go by and until he proves to you he can be a better man/husband/father/positive addition to society I would not chose to believe him.
Yeah basically you pretty much hit the nail on the head what i was thinking just be done with this prison stuff already I've never been so i can't say but you only have 10 months left to max out
Old 07-17-2020, 09:52 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,423 Times in 2,104 Posts

10 mo ths left doesn't mean he is done. He can commit a new crime afterwards and with being a habitual offender, he could go back for an extremely long time.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
10 mo ths left doesn't mean he is done. He can commit a new crime afterwards and with being a habitual offender, he could go back for an extremely long time.
Oh really yeah well i hope not tired of prison they sentence you harsher for that Idk what's going on do you no how many days they have to give you a ticket for a tier 3 they told him it has to be 72 hrs and its 72 hrs i called parole in albany they told me to call back monday or Tuesday to see when his release date is the time calculation lady Tiffany told me he's most likely coming home for his CR date they usually don't hold you till your max out date cant he just ask them to hold him till he maxes out i dont wanna see Downstate again
Old 07-17-2020, 12:16 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermarshall11 View Post
Yeah basically you pretty much hit the nail on the head what i was thinking just be done with this prison stuff already I've never been so i can't say but you only have 10 months left to max out
Just let him talk and say nothing and expect nothing. Keep taking care of yourself and your family and let him sit this one out while you are hopefully trying to enjoy this COVID summer
Old 07-17-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Just let him talk and say nothing and expect nothing. Keep taking care of yourself and your family and let him sit this one out while you are hopefully trying to enjoy this COVID summer
I will the best i can my mom told me he's not gonna stop using prison is all he knows he's said he made a conscious decision to quit using he would of wanted to stop a long time ago she said that he's saying that because he has no access right now but when he's placed back in general population it's gonna be a different game in the ballpark he's in quarantine for 2 weeks addiction is a heart breaker so sad thank you for always being so blunt sometimes it's good that way
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ambermarshall11 For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-29-2020), MizzyMuffling (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 12:39 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,158 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Yeah i hear ya he can't get commissary i don't think yet because he's in keep lock he's got a tier 3 ticket for absconding yeah just max out and then be done with parole already i no it's easier said then done im just so happy i found this web site saved my life gave me so much info and learned so much
He gets special buys for stamps and envelopes. And if he wants to send money out for someoneís family he sure can while keep locked. Donít send him money. Donít put money on his phone.
If heís calling you, itís because you are enabling him to tell you his bs stories. If you want him to get clean, leave him alone. You are his repeating pattern.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
maytayah (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 05:20 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
I will the best i can my mom told me he's not gonna stop using prison is all he knows he's said he made a conscious decision to quit using he would of wanted to stop a long time ago she said that he's saying that because he has no access right now but when he's placed back in general population it's gonna be a different game in the ballpark he's in quarantine for 2 weeks addiction is a heart breaker so sad thank you for always being so blunt sometimes it's good that way
He'll say anything to anyone who'll listen. He's an addict and a major manipulator and I truly wish for you to stop "enabling" him as in sending money and stuff. Please stay "clean" and see it for what it is: a major manipulation.
You know I'm on your side but you have to do your part as in being straight and honest and firm. I'm rooting for you!
miamac (07-29-2020), patchouli (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
He'll say anything to anyone who'll listen. He's an addict and a major manipulator and I truly wish for you to stop "enabling" him as in sending money and stuff. Please stay "clean" and see it for what it is: a major manipulation.
You know I'm on your side but you have to do your part as in being straight and honest and firm. I'm rooting for you!
Thank you sweetie you are so honest i love it lol gotta be at i need to start getting a backbone and not have him con me anymore he knows im tired i am and i have every right to be allot of women would of left along time ago i have a good heart and he knows that he takes my kindness for weakness yeah your are correct gotta be he knows im hip to his crap anymore
Old 07-19-2020, 02:05 PM

Thanked 2,731 Times in 1,187 Posts

I quit drugs every time I got locked up, as soon as I got out. Back to chasing the bag. It took three trips to prison and tired of being sick and tired of my situation before I decided it was up to me to get clean. The first step is accepting you have a drug/alcohol problem. That you need help with this problem. This still doesn't guarantee you are going to be successful staying clean. If you continue to use while you are locked up. You will not achieve getting help or facing your addiction issue. No one can force you to clean up and stay clean. It is all up to the individual to do it. If you have a great support system in place it is still up to the individual.
Yes it is hard to stay clean. If you get a job when you get your first check. Your first thought will be. Where is the connection? I need to get high. I have been clean close to 17 years. I still have days that I jones for my drug of choice . on these days I have to fight hard and seek help from my higher power.
The bottom line here getting sober staying sober is up to the individual. I hope he decides he is ready to give up the dope and its lifestyle
kvinna20 (07-20-2020), miamac (07-29-2020), MizzyMuffling (07-19-2020), patchouli (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
I quit drugs every time I got locked up, as soon as I got out. Back to chasing the bag. It took three trips to prison and tired of being sick and tired of my situation before I decided it was up to me to get clean. The first step is accepting you have a drug/alcohol problem. That you need help with this problem. This still doesn't guarantee you are going to be successful staying clean. If you continue to use while you are locked up. You will not achieve getting help or facing your addiction issue. No one can force you to clean up and stay clean. It is all up to the individual to do it. If you have a great support system in place it is still up to the individual.
Yes it is hard to stay clean. If you get a job when you get your first check. Your first thought will be. Where is the connection? I need to get high. I have been clean close to 17 years. I still have days that I jones for my drug of choice . on these days I have to fight hard and seek help from my higher power.
The bottom line here getting sober staying sober is up to the individual. I hope he decides he is ready to give up the dope and its lifestyle
Yeah me to thank you for the advice i can't make him quit is everyone else different as far as addiction is concerned it seems that some people can quit and others can't i don't no much about addiction it's heart breaking it really is the temptation in there doesn't help either he tells me he's done but he has said this before it makes me not want to send money to him because Idk what it's going for but i ni that he needs stuff and if i send a food package he might give it away
Old 07-19-2020, 05:58 PM

Being with an addict is hard and emotionally draining. I think almost every addict wants to stop but it is so much easier said than done. It's a rough road for everyone involved.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacefinder View Post
Being with an addict is hard and emotionally draining. I think almost every addict wants to stop but it is so much easier said than done. It's a rough road for everyone involved.
Yeah it is its so sad heartbreaking I've never been with one before this is my first time im wondering how come some can stop and some can't is it easier for some to quit than others