Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina General Prison Talk, Introductions and Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina General Prison Talk, Introductions and Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in South Carolina that do not fit into any other South Carolina subforum. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind in addition to prison.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:24 AM

me to mine was 75 also any questions im here as well and i just gotten married aug of this year
Old 12-31-2008, 11:21 PM

how much alone time did anyone get after getting married?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:37 PM

Exclamation Prison marriages...

FYI...

Be sure to verify all of this information with an ATTORNEY or JUDGE before proceeding. I am a law student who specializes in the study of family law in this state and from what I've been taught (as recently as Nov. '08), prison marriages are not recognized in this state and marriage licenses cannot be issued to someone while in the custody of SCDC. It may be different if the inmate is only in county jail, but I'm pretty sure it always applies to SCDC.

Common law marriage is recognized in this state, but will only be recognized if there was an existing common law marriage prior to incarceration.

Also, even you are able to be considered "married", there are NO conjugal visits or "alone" time for married couples while the inmate is in custody. EVER. Not even for lifers.

Like I said, I'm only a law student, so don't take my interpretation as a "true" interpretation of the law -- I'm merely repeating my understanding of class lectures and reviews of statutes -- check this out thoroughly with your own independent legal counsel before getting your hopes up.

I hope this helps...

Old 01-01-2009, 04:06 PM
COUNTING IT ALL JOY!!!!

I have received my packet and it contains an application for a marriage liscense and there is an affadavit that is specifically for incacerated persons and it has to be completed and notarized so I would think that i would be recongized in this state. Although there is only one county that issues them. I have not heard of any one having any problems thus far. There are others here that have taken this route I would like to here what they have to say about the previous post

Tonya

He's HOME , AMEN

Last edited by Fellaswifey; 01-01-2009 at 04:09 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamnjay View Post
Hello ladies in gents if you are looking someone to perform the cermony for you I have just become a notary and I understand how this means to you guys cause it meant so much to me to become one with my love so after you done with your paperwork I can perform the cermony !

Can you help me and my fiancé get married he is in Evans correctional and Chaplin said he can do it but is giving us the run around
Old 05-17-2017, 04:31 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,241 Times in 15,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittnicole View Post
Can you help and my fiancé get married the Chaplin in there at Evans correctional said he would do it but he is giving us the run around
Hi Brittnicole, welcome to PTO This is a 9 year old thread and as I understand it, SC no longer allows inmate marriages

If I'm wrong, someone will correct me....but I just don't think its allowed anymore.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 08:27 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,383 Times in 2,368 Posts

You cannot get married by a chaplain, personal pastor, or anyone else licence to do so in a state prison in South Carolina because NO county will grant a marriage license unless both parties are present.

This young lady was able to do so by proxy by going out of state,

http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695461

Best wishes.
patchouli (05-18-2017)