Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Parole, Probation & Legal Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2018, 10:26 AM

Default Gladeau Court

I'm wondering if someone can give me some information about Gladeau Court? I've watched a couple of Youtube videos and have a general idea but I'm wondering about how long it takes and what type of cases go before this court etc. It's not my partners first rodeo but it's mine and I have no contact with him since his arrest. Not sure if its an issue getting a phone, whether he forgot the number ( he lives across the hall from me so he seldom called me to begin with) or if he thinks my number is still blocked (I didnt realize it was and I have since had the block removed)
Sorry for the ramble. I'm scared and feeling alone and have had little to no experience with the Canadian legal system. My friends dont get it.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2018, 03:54 PM
OnparoleinTO

Hi Esmay. I've recently gone through the Canadian system so may be able to be helpful with various questions. I'm also in Toronto, not that that matters.

Gladue requires the court to take into fuller account the background and circumstances of any Aboriginal person charged with a crime. Unfortunately implementation of Gladue is very uneven. As I understand it, it's not a separate court but a process to be used in any court.

How long ago was he arrested? Also, he is at Lindsay? Which presumably makes it hard to visit? If he phones you it will be collect and quite expensive (just so you know). On some jail ranges it can be hard to get access to a phone. You might try writing him a letter.

Do you know who his lawyer is? If so, I'd suggest contacting the lawyer and seeing what she or he will tell you.

Feel free to ask further questions, either here or via private message if you prefer. You will find lots of support on this site; everyone on here has gone through something similar and has the scars. We can share your fear and worry.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
Esmay (06-21-2018)