Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

View Poll Results: If your loved one was eligible for prop 57 parole, did he/she get paroled?
Yes, he/she was paroled 1 7.14%
No, he/she was denied parole 2 14.29%
Unsure - we are still waiting for the decision 11 78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2020, 08:30 PM

Default Non-Violent Offender parole hearing under Prop 57, did your LO get a grant?

Hello all, I am wondering how many of you have a loved one who qualified for early parole under prop 57 (non-violent), and actually got it?

Thanks!

Kat
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2020, 10:14 AM

My girl had a date for that, and they determined some weird technicality on it and she was discreetly denied. No explanation or anything offered, just the date changed on her website.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studebaker71 View Post
My girl had a date for that, and they determined some weird technicality on it and she was discreetly denied. No explanation or anything offered, just the date changed on her website.
That's my biggest pet peeve, the lack of information. Sorry to hear that.
The Following User Says Thank You to InLoveDeep For This Useful Post:
studebaker71 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLoveDeep View Post
That's my biggest pet peeve, the lack of information. Sorry to hear that.
Yeah they don't care really. I think they would rather the girls be stuck in there since they don't get paid for not having any prisoners hahah

I brought it up to my girl and she was like "yeah the other girls know about the technicality and I didn't get my hopes up" well I did!!! We were delayed another 5 months.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:43 AM

studebaker71 - My guy said that he's seen guys get parole under 57 for way worse crimes than he did, with many more & worse rule violations than him. He is cautiously optimistic he will get it, but Im not getting my own hopes up. In your experience/knowledge, what is the percentage of people that actually get it?
studebaker71 (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
studebaker71 - My guy said that he's seen guys get parole under 57 for way worse crimes than he did, with many more & worse rule violations than him. He is cautiously optimistic he will get it, but I'm not getting my own hopes up. In your experience/knowledge, what is the percentage of people that actually get it?
I think the percentages are not very good. But the details in the acceptance is really weird. In the case for my girl, she had a release date that was within 6 months of the prop57 date, so that disqualified her. There are things like that that are "gotchas" on the prop.

I think that they are also doing a hearing that is essentially not a hearing, its just a arbitrary decision. No review panel or anything, just a guy with a rubber stamp. Also there is a victims thing, so this is a funny catch. They give the victim a notice saying that prop 57 kicking off and there is a 30 day period of time that the victim can advocate to deny parole. Now technically the inmate supporters can send in character statements etc, BUT the 30 day window is not notified to anyone but the victim. So essentially you have a rigged system that promotes this release to be suspended.

I dont know all the details for the prop 57 ins and outs but I bet tits public data.

I was glad to see the date in the cdcr, but we quickly realized that the chances of that happening are much less than 50% so its good to not put your heart into it. I still did and was of course crushed to see her date slide back 6 more months... But my problems are chickenfeed compared to others here so I will "suck it up" out of respect...

https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/proposition57/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (01-31-2020), InLoveDeep (02-01-2020), sidewalker (02-03-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I think the percentages are not very good. But the details in the acceptance is really weird. In the case for my girl, she had a release date that was within 6 months of the prop57 date, so that disqualified her. There are things like that that are "gotchas" on the prop.

I think that they are also doing a hearing that is essentially not a hearing, its just a arbitrary decision. No review panel or anything, just a guy with a rubber stamp. Also there is a victims thing, so this is a funny catch. They give the victim a notice saying that prop 57 kicking off and there is a 30 day period of time that the victim can advocate to deny parole. Now technically the inmate supporters can send in character statements etc, BUT the 30 day window is not notified to anyone but the victim. So essentially you have a rigged system that promotes this release to be suspended.

I dont know all the details for the prop 57 ins and outs but I bet tits public data.

I was glad to see the date in the cdcr, but we quickly realized that the chances of that happening are much less than 50% so its good to not put your heart into it. I still did and was of course crushed to see her date slide back 6 more months... But my problems are chickenfeed compared to others here so I will "suck it up" out of respect...

Yea, it being so close to her release date as the reason for denial is a bummer. Then what's the point of "early release"?!?!

Yes, I've heard it's one guy who does an "administrative review" of the inmates file. My guy says "it depends on if you happen to get a really liberal guy that day". So sad that this is what it comes down to - a certain personality making the decision about a persons life.

About the letters, yes I agree. I sent a letter in from "him" that he asked me to write, then I sent one from myself. I wonder if they actually open these and read them? It's all behind closed doors, so who's to say?

Yes, my initial scouting is showing that that the actual percentage of people getting released on 57 is like 10-15%, if that. I've learned with CDCR to never get my hopes up. In my mind, I still have 6 months to wait until August, but it will be a happy surprise if he's released early on 57 - but def not counting on it.

My guy was in the firehouse at san quentin, but got kicked out because we conspired to bring him a cell phone, so now he's on the expedited list to go to susanville, then a firecamp from there. I've read your adventures about that, so helpful. I haven't physically seen him since October, and am aching for him. I am hoping once he gets transferred, I can visit, but not sure if I'll get approved because I was suspended from SQ. I heard on this site that the initial visiting approval transfers to all CDCRs, but am wondering if the suspension also follows me (even though the letter from the warden at SQ only says "suspended from visiting at SAN QUENTIN" - it does not say ANY institution). Sigh. We'll see I guess.

Happy February - a SHORT month!

Kat
studebaker71 (02-03-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 12:45 PM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,364 Times in 8,235 Posts

Just a quick refresher on Prop 57 and its 'fallout'.
The phrase "getting out under Prop 57" is sort of misleading as there is no exit that 57 promises. What 57 did for non-violent offenders was create an early review of status and parole consideration. What it didn't do was create a ton of opportunity for the inmate to guarantee grantment. This was clear from the beginning (we're talking years, folks...).

For non-violent offenders, Prop 57 created a paper review process at the end of the person's base sentence. In other words, if you received 2 years for your crime and 5 years for enhancements or strikes, you would be reviewed at the end of 2 years. For folks serving 50%+ of their total, this was an opportunity to exit early. But that opportunity is only to be granted to those showing above and beyond rehabilitation during those two years. 57 very loosely outlined what above and beyond looks like through programming and a credit system overhaul. The problem lies in that there was very little done on the front end to open up programming for folks. It's trickling in now, but it's been what-- three years? The other thing to bear in mind is that with many non-violent offenses, your base sentence is so short that you literally don't have time to participate in said programming. If it takes 6 months to get out of reception and then another handful of months to get into programming, you're already halfway through your base of 2 years. So above and beyond is a bit of a pipe dream.

All of these issues were debated before the passing of 57. Very few of them were acknowledged by those spearheading 57 or administration. So here we sit, with a very low percentage of folks being granted parole from the NVO review as the framework for 57 foretold.

Also, be aware that 57's main target was not NVOs. It was VOs who had been consistently ignored and barred from programming and time reduction on unduly long sentences. 25 years and up. In that regard, it is working. It may not be the numbers we'd like to see, but there are folks seeing an earlier gate time under the credit expansions that came with Prop 57.

Last edited by miamac; 02-03-2020 at 11:20 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (02-04-2020), InLoveDeep (02-02-2020), kvinna20 (02-02-2020), sidewalker (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Yea, it being so close to her release date as the reason for denial is a bummer. Then what's the point of "early release"?!?!

Yes, I've heard it's one guy who does an "administrative review" of the inmates file. My guy says "it depends on if you happen to get a really liberal guy that day". So sad that this is what it comes down to - a certain personality making the decision about a persons life.

About the letters, yes I agree. I sent a letter in from "him" that he asked me to write, then I sent one from myself. I wonder if they actually open these and read them? It's all behind closed doors, so who's to say?

Yes, my initial scouting is showing that that the actual percentage of people getting released on 57 is like 10-15%, if that. I've learned with CDCR to never get my hopes up. In my mind, I still have 6 months to wait until August, but it will be a happy surprise if he's released early on 57 - but def not counting on it.

My guy was in the firehouse at san quentin, but got kicked out because we conspired to bring him a cell phone, so now he's on the expedited list to go to susanville, then a firecamp from there. I've read your adventures about that, so helpful. I haven't physically seen him since October, and am aching for him. I am hoping once he gets transferred, I can visit, but not sure if I'll get approved because I was suspended from SQ. I heard on this site that the initial visiting approval transfers to all CDCRs, but am wondering if the suspension also follows me (even though the letter from the warden at SQ only says "suspended from visiting at SAN QUENTIN" - it does not say ANY institution). Sigh. We'll see I guess.

Happy February - a SHORT month!

Kat

Ouch conspire to give cell phone. Ugh. I would be willing to bet that will follow. I know my approval followed, and I know they take my license every single time and look me up every single time on the computer. So they must have notes on the record. I will hope that it does not follow for you though. I do know that in the camps there is lots of contraband and they are really trusted, lots of shenanigans can happen so they want to avoid that but they are really trusted at the one my girls at. As much as there would be temptation to have some life conveniences, I will never compromise her good time and I will be REALLY pissed if she does as well. It is a non negotiable for me that she does everything she can to get out of that place.

I got more details and I guess if your release date is within 240 days of your prop 57 date, they will deny the prop 57 date. It is just too close to the date to go through the administrative work I guess. So here we are, I am waiting on the July, but she is taking two classes till then which should bump 20 days off so should be mid June at that possibility.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
InLoveDeep (02-03-2020), miamac (02-03-2020), sidewalker (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studebaker71 View Post
Ouch conspire to give cell phone. Ugh. I would be willing to bet that will follow. I know my approval followed, and I know they take my license every single time and look me up every single time on the computer. So they must have notes on the record. I will hope that it does not follow for you though. I do know that in the camps there is lots of contraband and they are really trusted, lots of shenanigans can happen so they want to avoid that but they are really trusted at the one my girls at. As much as there would be temptation to have some life conveniences, I will never compromise her good time and I will be REALLY pissed if she does as well. It is a non negotiable for me that she does everything she can to get out of that place.

I got more details and I guess if your release date is within 240 days of your prop 57 date, they will deny the prop 57 date. It is just too close to the date to go through the administrative work I guess. So here we are, I am waiting on the July, but she is taking two classes till then which should bump 20 days off so should be mid June at that possibility.
Yea, it was an incredibly stupid decision to try and bring him a cell phone, I knew better. I also didn't want to risk it because I didn't want more time added on, and said no the first few times he asked. Then, it was "sold" to me as very low risk, so I agreed. Then it was our luck that we got caught. Only way I can explain why I did it was I was in love and sometimes when someone's in love, they might do things they wouldn't normally do. I've never been arrested or in trouble with the law, until this. And believe me, it was the first, and last, time I'll ever do something like that again. It kinda irks me, though, because many, many guys in there have cell phones and are not caught. Anyway, we made our mistake, and are paying our consequences now, rightly so. Yes, I also hear they are really trusted at the firecamps, so I understand them not wanting that compromised. I will just apply for visitation when he gets there, and be honest on my application, and hope for the best.

I'm so happy for you that she's getting out soon, June/July will be here before you know it! And, you get to visit in the meantime, yay!
studebaker71 (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Yea, it was an incredibly stupid decision to try and bring him a cell phone, I knew better. I also didn't want to risk it because I didn't want more time added on, and said no the first few times he asked. Then, it was "sold" to me as very low risk, so I agreed. Then it was our luck that we got caught. Only way I can explain why I did it was I was in love and sometimes when someone's in love, they might do things they wouldn't normally do. I've never been arrested or in trouble with the law, until this. And believe me, it was the first, and last, time I'll ever do something like that again. It kinda irks me, though, because many, many guys in there have cell phones and are not caught. Anyway, we made our mistake, and are paying our consequences now, rightly so. Yes, I also hear they are really trusted at the firecamps, so I understand them not wanting that compromised. I will just apply for visitation when he gets there, and be honest on my application, and hope for the best.

I'm so happy for you that she's getting out soon, June/July will be here before you know it! And, you get to visit in the meantime, yay!

Oh you don't have to explain yourself, I know I love my girl, and I know that in these situations you can really hurt and be vulnerable. Its not a scenario that is easiest when a loved one is incarcerated.

So you actually got arrested too? Oh damn I'm sorry!!

I hear some crazy stuff goes on in the camps since they are trusted. It does blow me away though that they are in such a fortunate position and they are still pushing the limits! I make sure my girl stays on the level but she is mature and knows the path!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (02-04-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 12:02 AM

Thanked 1,631 Times in 681 Posts

This thread is about prop 57 NVO early parole. Mia gives solid background that most people (like 99%) did not understand. The NVO portion of the prop amounted to 2 or 3 sentences. No one had the slightest idea what they were voting on, thinking big numbers were going to be released. Hardly. 57 passed and the result was CDCR generating dozen plus pages of regulations into their Title 15 filling in the details lacking in those 2 or 3 sentences. That's what passing 57 did - give CDCR an open book to write whatever they thought appropriate.

NVO early parole is an opportunity. It is a paper review where a CDCR Parole Board bureaucratic reads your file and decides. Those dozen plus pages of regulation guide the bureaucrat. Amongst the multitude of reasons for denying involves looking back multiple years and a single violation over that time, especially if remotely serious, and you can forget it. Denial.

So, I'm sorry, but being caught conspiring to bring in a cell phone kills the NVO early release possibility likely for years to come. It sucks but that's prop 57 for you and that's a consequence your guy apparently did not understand.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-05-2020), Patrickj (02-05-2020), sidewalker (02-05-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
This thread is about prop 57 NVO early parole. Mia gives solid background that most people (like 99%) did not understand. The NVO portion of the prop amounted to 2 or 3 sentences. No one had the slightest idea what they were voting on, thinking big numbers were going to be released. Hardly. 57 passed and the result was CDCR generating dozen plus pages of regulations into their Title 15 filling in the details lacking in those 2 or 3 sentences. That's what passing 57 did - give CDCR an open book to write whatever they thought appropriate.

NVO early parole is an opportunity. It is a paper review where a CDCR Parole Board bureaucratic reads your file and decides. Those dozen plus pages of regulation guide the bureaucrat. Amongst the multitude of reasons for denying involves looking back multiple years and a single violation over that time, especially if remotely serious, and you can forget it. Denial.

So, I'm sorry, but being caught conspiring to bring in a cell phone kills the NVO early release possibility likely for years to come. It sucks but that's prop 57 for you and that's a consequence your guy apparently did not understand.
I know what the thread is about, I started it. And there's more to our story regarding 57, which I'm not going to get into. There have been people released on 57 with RVRs, so the part that an RVR equals an automatic denial just isn't true.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I know what the thread is about, I started it. And there's more to our story regarding 57, which I'm not going to get into. There have been people released on 57 with RVRs, so the part that an RVR equals an automatic denial just isn't true.
Rules define all that. A serious RVR, no chance. You can find title 15 and various emergency regulations on 57 online. There have been several over the years that define those portions of title 15. I recommend anyone hoping for relief, download and read them. The latest changes to title 15 regs involved last years McGhee decision. I'll get to that in a minute.

Regulations include a screening process for referrals to BPH that mandate certain exclusions. Some of them include:

Any SHU term last 5 years...no
Any SERIOUS RVR last 5 years...no
Any two non-serious RVR's last year...no
Within certain time to the gate on EPRD (1 year I "think")...no
No RVR's or any RVR's outside of above restrictions...OK

An OK means CDCR refers your case to BPH for their paper hearing. If you get that far, have no RVR's, good programming etc you are looking good. If you have any RVR's, BPH will think about it. So you are right, it is possible BPH will let it happen with an RVR, but it better be minor and you better be otherwise solid. BPH is friend of no one.

As to the McGhee case. He had a SHU term in last 5 years. Denied. Took it to court. Lost. Appealed to the 4th / 1st and won. Court told CDCR they couldn't "denial referral to BPH" based on SHU and some of those other "behavior" restrictions and ordered CDCR to rewrite some of those regs. I think CDCR is doing that. Or has done it.

But the court specifically said CDCR referral can't do that screening, that it's BPH job to do the screening. You get the referral to BPH. They use the exact same criteria. In effect BPH excludes and denies on the same basis and criteria CDCR had been using to deny referrals. Final result is the same.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
InLoveDeep (02-09-2020), miamac (02-06-2020), sidewalker (02-07-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 01:07 AM

I assume this is a state a city not feds right?
Old 02-14-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej6493 View Post
I assume this is a state a city not feds right?
Correct. Applies only to CA state inmates in CDCR system. Not fed BOP inmates.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:10 PM

I spoke to the parole board, they are quite behind right now, by like two months, just FYI.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:39 PM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,364 Times in 8,235 Posts

Quote:
I spoke to the parole board, they are quite behind right now, by like two months, just FYI.
Thanks for sharing this. It would be nice if they could inform the inmates when this happens. We waited three YEARS for his hearing because they were so far behind. No one could tell us why, just …"the computer says you were eligible...". Very frustrating.
For what it's worth, if anyone reading this is waiting on a granted release, they're pushing the 120+30 over by about a week. Meaning be prepared to wait about four months for actual release.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Thanks for sharing this. It would be nice if they could inform the inmates when this happens. We waited three YEARS for his hearing because they were so far behind. No one could tell us why, just …"the computer says you were eligible...". Very frustrating.
For what it's worth, if anyone reading this is waiting on a granted release, they're pushing the 120+30 over by about a week. Meaning be prepared to wait about four months for actual release.
Wow, I read another thread somewhere where you said it took 3 YEARS. That is just criminal (pun intended). My guy is planning to be a very squeaky wheel and officially inquire over and over if his decision starts to get behind.

Regarding the 120 days for release, I believe that is for the situations where they have an actual hearing in front of the people on the Board - right? My guy is being considered under the "determinately sentenced nonviolent" process - which is a paper/administrative review process only - he will not go in front of the board. With this process, the letter (and the legislation) says they have to be released within 60 days of the decision. I sure hope they stick to that!