Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Illinois should be posted here.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:53 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,154 Times in 13,313 Posts

If one of his parole conditions is no drugs, and he tests positive, the consequences could be a return to prison for the violation, for as long as the law allows. In some jurisdictions the violation can lead to a brand new criminal prosecution.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2020, 08:41 AM

On the conditions page it says no illegal substances but marijuana is now legal. So would he be allowed to use it?
Old 01-10-2020, 10:19 AM
Green Eyed Monster

From what I understand, if you live in a state that legalized medical or recreational marijuana use, you are still committing a federal crime by possessing, buying, or selling marijuana.

The problem is, despite the liberalization of state laws across the country, federal law still treats marijuana as a controlled substance, just like cocaine or heroin.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4Bobby For This Useful Post:
chris idoc (01-20-2020), fbopnomore (01-10-2020), yourself (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 02:26 PM

Default Parole conditions questions

I have a couple more questions about parole conditions or rules. Does every offender get a curfew? If youíre on parole do you need a land line for the PO to reach you or is a cell phone sufficient? If a PO wants to see the offender and the offender is not home, like a drop in, are they allowed to do so?
Old 01-10-2020, 04:16 PM

In NYS every offender will have a set curfew the parole officer will give them one when they go to their inital appearance when they get out if the PO goes there and he's not home it's a violation if it's past his curfew my boyfriend just got violated for that as we speak you can use a landline or cell phone they are allowed to come when ever they please
Old 01-10-2020, 04:20 PM

Thank you for your response. What is the typical curfew? And, what happens if they work third shift? Are they allowed to work third shift?
Old 01-10-2020, 07:07 PM
attorney

Thanked 22,135 Times in 7,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH141504 View Post
On the conditions page it says no illegal substances but marijuana is now legal. So would he be allowed to use it?
No. Illegal federally makes it illegal period. And if he is not allowed to drink in IL, he won't be allowed to toke in IL even if it were legal federally.

That it is now legal in IL is why every PO in the state will be running UAs in the next 30 days on just about everybody they oversee.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:30 PM

Do you really think so? I don’t know if he’s allowed to drink. It didn’t say anything about alcohol on conditions paperwork. Thank you for responses. I don’t know how all of this works. I wanted to know because much of what he had told me is not true or accurate or has been half truths. We have children together, and he is acting like he’s invencible. Sadly. But I still wanted to understand some of the conditions and rules. Thank you.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:51 PM

My boyfriend's curfew was 9 pm if they work that would be different I suppose he would have to tell how parole officer that he is working and she would have to verify that he is working there they will also go to the job to make sure I'm glad to hear that your significant other will be home soon so good to hear I no that you can't wait lol he will have to ask them if he can work 3 Rd shift they all operate differently
The Following User Says Thank You to ambermarshall11 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-11-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 07:58 PM

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,827 Posts

If you dont believe him, ask to see his paperwork. Every state works differently. Every offender will be given a threat to the community rating. This will determine their conditions as their original offense.

Over time and with good behavior, they will lessen.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:30 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,362 Times in 16,758 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for all your responses. They are so helpful. If a parolee does tear positive for marijuana even though itís legal in my state now, what will happen or could happen to parolee?
Some states (ky does) have a "sanctions matrix" for parole violations. Technical violations (dirty UA, out past curfew, leaving supervision area, etc) have lesser penalties such as AA/NA or other drug/alcohol counseling or 10 days in county jail. The penalty gets a tad harsher with every technical violation. New charges, IMHO, are pretty much guaranteed revocation.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-11-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 08:35 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,362 Times in 16,758 Posts

We're in KY....My Mr has paroled with a curfew (10 pm) and without a curfew. If the PO stops by and the offender isn't home its usually no big deal - unless like amber said, its after curfew. Cell phone is fine, unless on ankle monitor/gps. Monitors require a land line. Not so sure on the 3rd shiift question....I believe that's going to depend on the offender, their charges, and the mindset of the PO.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 01-15-2020, 07:28 AM

Default Parole conditions say no contact, can PO approve?

If an offenders parole conditions say no contact with victim and states her name can the offender get letís say approval from his PO to see and speak to her? This was a domestic battery charge. The conditions sheet states no contact with victim unless court order. The victimís family reached out to the police and possibly doc about it. The victim will not report it unfortunately because she is easily manipulated and caught in abuse cycle. There are pictures of him at her home on social media. There is a child support case too, which is most likely how he began to talk to her. Her family has notified doc and the PO I believe and nothing is done. Why? How? In domestic violence cases weíve been told some of these laws are strict and the abuser usually canít talk to victim. We donít know if itís the PO who is not following up or do the conditions he was given do they mean nothing? Please help with any of your knowledge. Itís greatly appreciated. The abuser most likely wants to woo her and be able to get something from her such as her dropping child support, but she received cash asst so from what I understand heíd still have to pay all the back pay. If he convinces her to drop child support or he will charm her and pay support only for him to ask her to give it back to him. These are things that will hurt her and the children. Unfortunately prison was not a place that helped him deal with these exploitive issues he has. Please any thoughts would be comforting. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:21 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
If an offenders parole conditions say no contact with victim and states her name can the offender get letís say approval from his PO to see and speak to her? This was a domestic battery charge. The conditions sheet states no contact with victim unless court order. The victimís family reached out to the police and possibly doc about it. The victim will not report it unfortunately because she is easily manipulated and caught in abuse cycle. There are pictures of him at her home on social media. There is a child support case too, which is most likely how he began to talk to her. Her family has notified doc and the PO I believe and nothing is done. Why? How? In domestic violence cases weíve been told some of these laws are strict and the abuser usually canít talk to victim. We donít know if itís the PO who is not following up or do the conditions he was given do they mean nothing? Please help with any of your knowledge. Itís greatly appreciated. The abuser most likely wants to woo her and be able to get something from her such as her dropping child support, but she received cash asst so from what I understand heíd still have to pay all the back pay. If he convinces her to drop child support or he will charm her and pay support only for him to ask her to give it back to him. These are things that will hurt her and the children. Unfortunately prison was not a place that helped him deal with these exploitive issues he has. Please any thoughts would be comforting. Thank you.
Itís rare but under special circumstances itís happened. Proof of counseling by both parties, etc. And some poís just donít care...

ďIíd like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.Ē

Old 01-15-2020, 10:16 AM

Yes they can I have dealt with that myself in NYS my boyfriend had one for me and he went to his initial parole when he got out she switched it it says that when they are in there to cover them selves so there can be no lawsuit if he was to come home and do something to her they wouldn't be responsible for it I think every facility would say that and it's up to the parole officer to swicth it or not when they go
Old 01-15-2020, 10:20 AM

Most people that are victim to domestic violence are easily manipulated especially if they stay. I don’t know the answer but I’m wondering if PO’s have a boss or manager that you could report the issue to. Normally I would say she had to learn herself but I probably would at least try to take it to a higher up for the kids sake if it was my family.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:26 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermarshall11 View Post
Yes they can I have dealt with that myself in NYS my boyfriend had one for me and he went to his initial parole when he got out she switched it it says that when they are in there to cover them selves so there can be no lawsuit if he was to come home and do something to her they wouldn't be responsible for it I think every facility would say that and it's up to the parole officer to swicth it or not when they go
Illinois has MUCH stricter DV laws

ďIíd like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.Ē

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jessesgirl1111 For This Useful Post:
MJH141504 (01-15-2020), trauma4us (01-16-2020), yourself (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessesgirl1111 View Post
Illinois has MUCH stricter DV laws
If our laws are stricter how can he get away with this?
Old 01-16-2020, 06:25 AM

Thanked 1,124 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
If our laws are stricter how can he get away with this?

He just hasn't been caught...YET
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
MJH141504 (01-16-2020), patchouli (01-16-2020), sidewalker (01-16-2020), yourself (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 11:17 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 31,853 Times in 15,894 Posts

Ok. Let me say a few things.
First off....if the ex gf/wife is on govt assistance he will HAVE to pay up. At some point. That obligation never goes away. Does not matter what she says/wants. Unless she were to get off of assistance but he would still owe back support payments.
(paid to the state)
As to the curfew part........that is totally up to the Po. He could in theory get a waiver for a special event or job obligation but again....up to PO.

As to the no contact order.....also up to the PO. Doubtful PO would give permission for a curfew waiver for someone with a no contact order.

Pot usage or alcohol usage.......also up to po. He will at his whim....decide on a UA.
(my hub had no restrictions on alcohol and they threatened him once in a while and he said......go ahead. Waste your money and time. Your call)

All that said......you gotta get away from this concern. Unless it involves YOU and your kids directly........step away. Its not good for you. Let his PO and the others involved (his ex, your ex, families........)

Not your circus, and not your monkeys.

All the best to you and yours.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (01-17-2020), patchouli (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 12:09 PM

Thank you. You’re very right. I just want to understand. I’m trying to forget and let go but he’s hurt us too.
The Following User Says Thank You to MJH141504 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 01:14 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 19,118 Times in 7,412 Posts

Quote:
Thank you. Youíre very right. I just want to understand. Iím trying to forget and let go but heís hurt us too.
All the more reason to let it go.

The Following User Says Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 11:48 AM
attorney

Thanked 22,135 Times in 7,694 Posts

If you have been a victim of him, and you are having difficulty moving on, you need to get into therapy. Seriously - it does not make you crazy or weak. Weak is sitting in anxiety and misery instead of dealing with everything that is going on that you cannot drop. See a therapist. Process the trauma. Heal. Move on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-17-2020), sidewalker (01-19-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 01:26 PM

I am and have been. Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to MJH141504 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
My ex is a classic abuser. Sadly. He triangulated his ex and I against each other. He was physically abusive to her, very badly, and she called the police. He was charged 1-2 felonies and went to prison. She had emergency op only and didnít want it renewed because she was hoping that this would make him beg for her (Iím guessing). The cycle of abuse is something that defies logic. Itís addictive and changed the chemical make up of your brain. Once he was sentenced and on parole it said no contact and her name. Her family reported the social media photos to police and to i think someone in parole. Someone in her family contacted me, asking to help report it but I didnít want to get involved since we are both his exes. I feel like heíll get away with it. I think they have child support case thatís open. Knowing him he is probably trying to get her to stop it or god only knows. I just hope that the PO listened to her family because I have been in therapy for 2 years because of him. Luckily, I left this cycle. For myself and my family. His ex on the other hand relies fully on government assistance and does not work. She was at his disposal and clearly prison and DV classes have done nothing. Thank you for your responses I appreciate them!
If it was temporary there's a good chance there is no longer and order and that is why the po isnt violating him. If the victim does not want and order no one can force one on her especially if Illinois is not a state that issues mandatory protection orders. There are some states that do and some that dont.