Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 01-08-2020, 08:15 PM

Default Prison reluctant to give medical treatment

Hi everyone!

Wasn’t sure where else to go so figured I’d post on here for some advice.

My friend has been in an Ohio prison for 6 years now and over this time has developed a hernia inside his bellybutton (umbilical hernia)

He saw the prison nurse a while ago and she basically sent him away. She’s a really nasty lady and honestly has no intention of helping anyone. In fact her response to most things is “I don’t care!” Awful!!!

He planned on just getting it fixed when he got out but last night he woke up with pain around his naval area and the bump is now firm and irritated. His clothing does not rub against it and he is very careful in the gym.

From what I’ve read online, when a hernia is firm and painful like that it needs to be treated. I know this isn’t exactly a major medical problem but it’s obviously important and many things can go wrong if not treated properly.

How can I help him to get this sorted? It’s not a major surgery, it doesn’t require expensive aftercare, but of course prisons aren’t really known for their “happy to help!” attitude.

He is writing another kite to ask for an appointment, but once he gets in there he’s only going to be told he’s fine and they’re not going to do anything about it. When this inevitably happens, what’s the next step?

Anyone been in a similar situation where a family member or friend has needed surgery but the prison aren’t willing to help?

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2020, 09:20 PM

A hernia is a very serious problem, I know when i had mine it ended up being a strangulation and if i didn't go into hospital when i did i would have died. I ended up losing quite a bit of intestines due to loss of blood supply and the strangulation. I don't know much about the prison system or what you can do about it but i'm sure that your loved one can request to bee seen by a hospital. I do hope that someone more knowledgeable would respond to your question and be able to help you out further.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:20 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,146 Times in 13,309 Posts

You can complain to whoever oversees prisoner health care for that system. Many government prisons/jails also have an Inspector General who investigates wrongdoing by prison employees.

He can file an inmate grievance, but be aware that formal complaints often result in retaliation.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysaskia View Post
Hi everyone!

Wasn’t sure where else to go so figured I’d post on here for some advice.

My friend has been in an Ohio prison for 6 years now and over this time has developed a hernia inside his bellybutton (umbilical hernia)

He saw the prison nurse a while ago and she basically sent him away. She’s a really nasty lady and honestly has no intention of helping anyone. In fact her response to most things is “I don’t care!” Awful!!!

He planned on just getting it fixed when he got out but last night he woke up with pain around his naval area and the bump is now firm and irritated. His clothing does not rub against it and he is very careful in the gym.

From what I’ve read online, when a hernia is firm and painful like that it needs to be treated. I know this isn’t exactly a major medical problem but it’s obviously important and many things can go wrong if not treated properly.

How can I help him to get this sorted? It’s not a major surgery, it doesn’t require expensive aftercare, but of course prisons aren’t really known for their “happy to help!” attitude.

He is writing another kite to ask for an appointment, but once he gets in there he’s only going to be told he’s fine and they’re not going to do anything about it. When this inevitably happens, what’s the next step?

Anyone been in a similar situation where a family member or friend has needed surgery but the prison aren’t willing to help?

Thanks for reading!
Hey, I've been a prison nurse for years. If he feel that it is an emergency tell him to go to lieutenant for a self declared emergency. They will assess him. If he still feel like it is a problem ask him to feel a release of information form for you so that you can speak to the nurse supervisor. How long do he have left in his sentence?
Old 01-09-2020, 02:02 PM

They do have a nursing policy to follow. But she has no right to talk to him that way!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lifetime30 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (01-10-2020)