Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Georgia Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:30 PM

Default Punishment for posting on facebook from prison

The inmate who murdered my 27 year old son and his 25 year old friend is now at Calhoun State prison. He posted a picture of himself in his jail cell and also in the shower area. We are from the Augusta area and contacted The Austin Rhodes Show who has a very active Facebook page and also a 3 hour talk show in the afternoon. Mr. Rhodes posted the pictures on his facebook page and there were over 200 comments from irate members and he also notified the warden at Calhoun State Prison. What consequences will the murderer of my son and his friend get for doing this?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2020, 04:03 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEPHZIBAH56 View Post
The inmate who murdered my 27 year old son and his 25 year old friend is now at Calhoun State prison. He posted a picture of himself in his jail cell and also in the shower area. We are from the Augusta area and contacted The Austin Rhodes Show who has a very active Facebook page and also a 3 hour talk show in the afternoon. Mr. Rhodes posted the pictures on his facebook page and there were over 200 comments from irate members and he also notified the warden at Calhoun State Prison. What consequences will the murderer of my son and his friend get for doing this?
If you want to have the person reprimanded for using social media, why did you contact the media and not the warden of the prison?
GingerM (01-24-2020), nancyginnm (01-24-2020), wholeshabang (01-25-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 07:20 PM

Thanked 1,132 Times in 507 Posts

They’ll get moved because now they’ have targets created by the frenzy of social media.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
GingerM (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,193 Times in 3,583 Posts

The inmate may also be charged with new crimes which may be tried while he's still inside, which means he may serve more time.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
choclgs (01-25-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 08:08 AM

When my facility finds pictures of inmates on social media that were taken inside of a prison (especially if they were an active participant of the photo and not background) then they can face a few extra charges or policy infractions. Depending on the way the prison's laws and policies are written certain things can happen.

Unauthorized contact with the public (say harassment of others through social media)
Use of a cell phone
Possession of a cell phone
Operating a social media page

These can be ether new legal charges or administrative violations. Loss of good time, time in SHU or more time added to the original sentence are all things that can happen to the inmate.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
Ang613 (01-24-2020), choclgs (01-25-2020), GingerM (01-25-2020), maytayah (01-25-2020), MizzyMuffling (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 08:32 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,553 Times in 2,059 Posts

“If you want to have the person reprimanded for using social media”

The OP never said they wanted the inmate reprimanded - they asked a question about what might happen once Facebook use had been noted.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
“If you want to have the person reprimanded for using social media”

The OP never said they wanted the inmate reprimanded - they asked a question about what might happen once Facebook use had been noted.
I didn’t get from the tone that they were trying to prevent him from being reprimanded. Maybe the OP can clarify.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:09 PM

Thanked 4,055 Times in 1,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimimi View Post
I didn’t get from the tone that they were trying to prevent him from being reprimanded. Maybe the OP can clarify.
I didn’t get that at all. It reads more like they are a bit giddy at the prospect of the inmate receiving punishment.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Firstly I'm very sorry that your son and his friend were murdered. My condolences go out to you and your family.

Secondly, What i don't understand is why are you stalking the murderers facebook page? I understand you wanting revenge but regardless of the reasons why it would have been better reported to the warden of the prison and have him deal with the situation.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

We do not know the OP's intent. There are many ways those few words can be interpreted. The difficult part of text communication is that often tone of voice is lost.

Here is the OP's question:
Quote:
What consequences will the murderer of my son and his friend get for doing this?
Until/unless the OP clarifies what their interest is in the answer, none of us can give any information other than the fact that taking pictures in prison with a cell phone and posting to social media can result in the inmate receiving more punishment of some sort, ranging from 'the hole' (solitary confinement) to longer sentence to a new sentence added on to the first sentence.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
choclgs (01-25-2020), Lordbew/us (01-25-2020), marco1969 (01-25-2020), Ms Sunny (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 09:33 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts

[quote=GingerM;7808627]We do not know the OP's intent. There are many ways those few words can be interpreted. The difficult part of text communication is that often tone of voice is lost.

Until/unless the OP clarifies what their interest is in the answer, none of us can give any information other than the fact that taking pictures in prison with a cell phone and posting to social media can result in the inmate receiving more punishment of some sort, ranging from 'the hole' (solitary confinement) to longer sentence to a new sentence added on to the first sentence.[
/QUOTE]

I'm not sure they want an answer.
GingerM (01-26-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
We do not know the OP's intent. There are many ways those few words can be interpreted. The difficult part of text communication is that often tone of voice is lost.

Until/unless the OP clarifies what their interest is in the answer, none of us can give any information other than the fact that taking pictures in prison with a cell phone and posting to social media can result in the inmate receiving more punishment of some sort, ranging from 'the hole' (solitary confinement) to longer sentence to a new sentence added on to the first sentence.
The op stated the following paragraph which made me question her acts. Why would she be stalking the inmates Facebook page and why report it to a talk back show if her intent wasn't to get some public outrage and to further punish the inmate? When all she had to do is report it to the prison warden alone.

"The inmate who murdered my 27 year old son and his 25 year old friend is now at Calhoun State prison. He posted a picture of himself in his jail cell and also in the shower area. We are from the Augusta area and contacted The Austin Rhodes Show who has a very active Facebook page and also a 3 hour talk show in the afternoon. Mr. Rhodes posted the pictures on his facebook page and there were over 200 comments from irate members and he also notified the warden at Calhoun State Prison.

Then she further states, which indicates to me that she's wanting to know what further punishment the murderer will get for those media shots

What consequences will the murderer of my son and his friend get for doing this?
Old 01-26-2020, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Quote:
We do not know the OP's intent. There are many ways those few words can be interpreted.
How about this: the person who posted this is actually the loved one of the incarcerated. They do not want to post their first post (see the OP's post count) admitting that their loved one is in prison for murder as they're afraid of the fallout from other users here.

Their loved one pulled a stupid and posted pictures of themselves, and since this is their loved one, they want to find out what will happen to him without admitting to being concerned for his well-being.

I can see this scenario easily. Speculating leads down a rabbit hole that is not worth the bytes of storage. Unless the OP comes back and explains themselves, speculation is all we have to go on.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Ang613 (01-27-2020), fbopnomore (01-26-2020), LifeTraveler (01-26-2020), safran (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 02:13 PM

I guess we won't know till he/she comes back and clarifies if they wish. But thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
choclgs (01-28-2020), GingerM (01-27-2020)