Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of New Jersey, including lockdowns.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:51 PM

Default I have questions about classification in CRAF Please help

My boyfriend is in Southern State Prision. He was sentenced to 3-6 years. he told me that when he went for classification in CRAF. They told him that he would be eligible for parole in March of 2006 he was incarcerated on March 21,2005. Does that sound right? They judge that sentenced him told him that he could put in for a reconsideration after some of hiss other charges were dropped. I know that he doesn't want to worry me but he's telling me that he could be in a halfway house by, june of 2006. Can anyone help me? Does this sound right?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Register
Donation Award 

KC I am sorry I don't have the answers for you. But I have moved your question to the NJ forum, were someone may better know the answers.

softie
Old 10-05-2005, 09:40 PM

KC
is he serving a 6 year sentence with a 3 year mandatory minimum? If he is he won't be eligible for parole until he does the 3 years (minus any jail credit)
NJ doesn't impose 3 to 6 years sentences anymore...that was the old 2A Criminal Code. The current Criminal Code (2C) imposes a specific term such as a 3 year or 6 year sentence. Your boyfriend should write (thru the proper channels) to the parole counselor at SSCF and ask for an interview so they can explain his eligbility calculation to him. Also you can go to the Parole Boards' web page...they have a section explaining how the calc's are done.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:55 AM

Thank You Blue Eyes,
Yes it's a 3 min and a 6 max. When I spoke with him last night he told me that he can go to a halfway house after a year and a half if he does a drug program and take up a trade. The Parole's web page is very confusing but I'll work on the calculations today and let you know what I come up with. Unless your really good with numbers and you could help me out. I will tell him tonight to speak with a counselor there and see what he can find out.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:19 PM

KC,
since he's serving a mandatory minimum the parole eligibility date listed on the DOC web page is probably correct
Old 10-07-2005, 01:07 AM
loved!

Thanked 1,148 Times in 716 Posts

hi KC,

your boyfriend technically IS eligible to spend half of that 3 year mandatory time in a halfway house, but he has to be approved for a "change of custody" before it happens (it's a motion that must be approved). if he is approved, then he can spend time in the halfway house until he is parole eligible. the longest i've known anyone to spend in a halfway house was i believe 8 months. but i'm not sure how long an inmate CAN be there. also, he should definitely do as many programs as possible to help him not to get a parole hit after the three years are up if all else fails.