Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 PM

Default Trying to know how much money I can deposit if I have restitution?

Hi!

Well I have to pay restitution money and I am trying to understand the system, the judge said I have 2 options: if I get a job in Unicor they will thake 50% of my paycheck, if not they will take $25 every 3 months, but reading here I have found they decide different what the judge decides, then because I won't have my family (just my mom and she doesn't have money) doing money deposits to me, I was thinking to deposit like $300 the day I surrender and buy just the main things for the whole time (like the tennis shoes, sweaters, and my radio), and ask my mom to deposit me $25 every month to pay the restitution and try to live just with the stuff they give.

Do you think to deposit that $300 in the begining will afect the calculation they do for the montly payment??

Can somebody help me understand this???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2009, 07:40 AM

You will receive a written policy for the facility where you are housed on how they will calculate and withhold restitution. You are correct, it is based on the prior 3 months deposits. The more money you receive, the more they will take from your commissary account. That being said, I know that several inmates complained that they took whatever they wanted regardless of the policy statement. There was a rumor that they the staff received commission on collections, but I have no idea if that is true. I would doubt it. If you have been designated, you can write or call the facility to see if they will provide you with informaiton. I emailed my facility with a list of questions that they answered prior to my reporting date.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:26 PM

thanks a lot for your answer I will email them too!
Old 12-15-2009, 07:39 PM

What about the first month? they will start taking money from the account since the beginning or they wait until the 3rd month?

Thanks again!
Old 12-20-2009, 08:41 AM

Default Restitution Starting Point

When you arrive at the facility, you will give them your money order to initially fund your account. This is important because you cannot make phone calls until you have funds in your account. Sometimes, you'll be in administrative lockup until your status is confirmed and/or a bed becomes available. If this is the case, the C/O should allow you to make phone calls during that period without charging your account.

Anyway, once you are in your facility, you will go through what is called A&O (Administration & Orientation). One of the things you'll do during this phase is fill out your telephone list and submit it for approval. Be sure to take a list of phone numbers and complete addresses with you or have someone mail it to you after you report.

As for restitution, they will not take funds out of your commissary account until they have met with you during A&O to review the program. This usually takes place in your first 30-45 days. So you should be able to get all of the clothes, food and other supplies you need out of your initial deposit. Should probably plan on putting in at least $300 to make sure you can get all of your essentials (deoderant, shampoo, soap, nail clippers, hair brush/comb, tweezers, etc.) and food.