Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > Virginia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Info
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Virginia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Info This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Virginia.

Old 08-29-2004, 09:20 PM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,159 Times in 599 Posts
Default Deep Meadow Correctional Center

State Farm, VA 23160
(804) 598-5503

Directions:
From Richmond: Take U.S. Route 60 (Midlothian Turnpike) West to State Route 522. Turn right on 522 and continue to its intersection with State Route 711. Turn right on 711 and continue until you see signs reading "Powhatan Correctional Center." Deep Meadow is the next correctional facility to the left.

http://www.vadoc.state.va.us/facilit...deepmeadow.htm

Last edited by Daveswife; 02-28-2006 at 11:40 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Tuff_Act2follow

My husband is at Deep Meadow and I go every weekend. It is important to tell you that these directions did not help me at all. I live in Madison and get to Pwohatan via Charlottesville. Mapquest and other such search engines also have bad directions. I made it there without to much trouble the first time but I am afraid some people could get really lost...
Also, it never fails, I mean NEVER, that someone in line in front of me is ddenied visit every week. So, please remember to make sure it is your loved ones designated day.
They alternate Saturday's and Sunday's based on DOC #.
And for real, you must be dressed appopriatly. ALWAYS take an extra set of clothes. Just in case.
P.S. I'd love to car pool
Old 12-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Donation Award 

My husband was just moved to Deep Meadow today. I haven't even been able to talk to him yet. How long did it take for you to get a visit? They told me it depended on how long it took them to clear him medically. The answering machine picked up the recording so that's how I know he was moved there today. Are the CO's jerks there? They were really decent at Coffeewood.
I'll be coming from WV, since I can't get a real mailing address, it tells me to take 81S to 64 to 522 to 711. How far off of 60 is 711 or do you not go that way?
Ok sorry for bombarding you. Thanks for any info you can give me on this place.

藕断丝连
The lotus root snaps, but its fibers stay joined.
Said of people (especially lovers) that still remain in contact though apparently separated.
Separated but still in each other's thoughts.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:16 PM

Once he sees medical you should be able to go see him that weekend. Visitation is based on their id #'s ie) this weekend odds are sat. and evens are sunday. I haven't had any problem with the CO's, they all seem really nice. You won't be getting on 60 to get there, unless you make a wrong turn. I live close to WV. Once you get off of 64 its about another 15 minutes to the prison. The turn to 711 is right at a bp gas station, not hard to see. visits usually last an hour, depending on what time you get there, if you get there right before count, which is at 1 then sometimes you get an extra half hour or so.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:32 PM
Donation Award 

Thanks for the info. Do they have vending machines also? And what time does sign up usually start? The directions were really helpful thanks again.

藕断丝连
Said of people (especially lovers) that still remain in contact though apparently separated.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:49 PM

They do have vending machines. Two with sandwiches, two with snacks and two drink machines. I believe that visitation starts at either 8 or 9. I always try to get there around 11:30 because they have count at 1:00. They will stop letting people in at 12:30 so if you are in visiting then they won't let you out until count clears and that is usually around 1:30. Therefore I am able to sneak in an extra half an hour up to an hour visit. Otherwise you only get an hour visit. The only thing is to try to get in before the close for count or you are stuck in the waiting room until it clears. I usually take our kids and they get a little anxious having to wait.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Donation Award 

Thanks so much, the info is really helpful. I forgot to ask if we can carry change in clear bags like Coffewood let us do. I found out Christmas day is his day (he's an odd), but he may not clear medical by then. So I guess it will be New Year's eve for our first visit there. Maybe I'll see you there sometime.

藕断丝连
Old 12-19-2005, 08:29 PM

You can take up to $20 in change in a clear baggie. We are also odds. If I were you I would call and ask if he had cleared yet. Mine assumed they would tell him when actually once he had seen the Dr. he had been cleared. He got there on a Tues. and I was able to see him that Sat. If you call they will tell you if he is allowed and you can call pretty much anytime.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Donation Award 

Well he finally got to see the dr today or yesterday, I can't remember what he said. So I guess I'll be making the "maiden voyage" on Sunday. Do they have lockers for your stuff or should I leave it in the car? Thanks for all the info.

藕断丝连
Old 01-05-2006, 08:44 PM

They do have lockers. Good Luck!
Old 01-09-2006, 09:10 AM
Donation Award 

Well, I had my first visit to DMCC. That was a bit different. Coffeewood is so completely different procedure wise. I found it easily thanks to the BP landmark. TY again for that bit of info. The CO's were very nice and quite laid back if I do say so. It was just so wonderful to see David for the first time since before Christmas and now that I get to hug and kiss him it's heaven.
Thanks again for all the info, it helped soooooo much!

藕断丝连
Old 01-30-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Recently moved

My son has recently been moved to DMCC. He is 20 years old and has 25 years for armed robbery. We have been estranged for several years but we are now corresponding - and we are very glad. We have never had experience with the prison system and are a little bewildered. Any advice would help. Our family lives in Texas. Thank you all and God Bless.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO and the VA forum.
It's going to be pretty overwhelming at first. The best thing to do is take your time and go through the forums here. Specially the posts in the VA forum. Try to learn as much as you can without trying to cram it all in at once.
I'm happy for you and your son being reunited. That will really help him through this.
My best advise it to just write as often as you can and stick around here. We're all here for each other. If you ever have ?'s, just post them where they seem most appropriate and I can promise you'll get some kind of response. Usually pretty quickly.
Again, I'm glad you found us and I look forward to hearing more from you.
If you need any help, please feel free to PM me (click on my name and choose send private message) and I'll do whatever I can to help ya!

藕断丝连
Old 01-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Donation Award 

Oh, I forgot. Please take a minute to introduce yourself to the rest of the forum.
Thanks and see ya 'round!

藕断丝连
Old 02-02-2006, 07:04 AM

Smile Intoductions

Hi I'm new here and very curious about Deep Meadow and the rules governing the inmates. I have a few questions - My son says that we can send him money but it has to be a Post Office Money Order. Is it a good idea to send money and does it have to be a Post Office Money Order or will any money order do? We are not in Virgina (Texas) so we cannot visit him. Can we send him anything else? Thanks for your help. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Always Doin' My Best

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,168 Posts

According to the business office at Deep Meadow, they prefer the post office money orders, but they will accept Western Union. No cash, no personal checks. You mail it to them and throw in a note to your son telling him you sent in a money order and for how much. THey will take out the MO and then put in a receipt for it and pass the note along to your son. She told me it can take 3 days to show in his account so make sure you get it there early before he goes to commisary. He must buy everything from the commisary.

I sent in an article I got online and it had an ad for mortgage rates and had a small map of the US on it. They rejected it. I also had ordered a magazine subcription and they are rejecting it as well. The counselors have to approve it.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Donation Award 

Well Crap I just sent his FHM mag to him (changed his addy from Fairfax). David told me that they hold money orders that are not from the P.O. for up to 14 days. The P.O. ones they post right away. I think there is a maximum that they can have on the books at one time too. I'll have to check into that.
I sent him all the stuff I printed from the VA Legislature and they let him have it no problems. I also sent him some info on a new medication for alcoholics which I printed off the puter, no prob there either. I wonder why they gave you such a way to go?
Also make sure to get his building # and bed # and use it in the addy when you write. David said they are sticklers about that.

John Doe #000000
Bldg 7A Bed 5A
DMCC
State Farm, VA 23160

藕断丝连
Old 02-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Always Doin' My Best

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

LOL! A lot of stuff I sent went through, no problems. But that stupid mortgage ad map rejected the whole thing. I cut all around it and will resend it. Along with the other stuff. I can see taking the one thing and letting the rest go, but they sent the whole thing back with the form saying MAPS. Gimmeabreak!

Old 02-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Donation Award 

Ok, My question then is. What the heck is wrong with maps? What is he going to plan his escape with a mortgage lender? Geeeeeeezzzzzzzzz
Old 02-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Always Doin' My Best

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

It was all of 2" wide and 1.5" high. Very colorful. The whole continental US. You can hardly see the states let alone plot anything!

When he told me something was rejected because of maps, I was like "HUH? I didn't send any maps". You should have seen my face when I got it back.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:03 PM
mrstowns

hi my name is ke ke and my fiance just got moved to dmcc on friday feb 3. i live in chesapeake va and i really have no way to get there. we have a three month old son and i would really like to see him. if there is anybody close and they would like to car pool i would love to. i will also help with the gas what ever the cost. can somebody give me some info about dmcc. he really does not know anything about prison and this is his first time going. what else can i send him besides money? how do they treat the inmates there? how long is there visiting hours.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Always Doin' My Best

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Welcome ke ke!! You can't send anything BUT money orders to Deep Meadow. He can't have visitors until cleared by medical and you have to call to find out on Friday after 5pm. Don't even bother calling before then, they will just tell you to call back then. Visiting is based on his DOC number. Odds one day, Evens the other. You get a minimum of an hour. Getting medical attention there is hit or miss and I have had to call out there several times about it. The guards seem to be fair from what I have heard and seen. There are a bunch of us with men there so if you read all these forums, you will find a lot of information. Holler if you have any other questions.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:41 PM
mrstowns

thanx for the info to all
Old 03-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Always Doin' My Best

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

I wanted to add in some additional information about Deep Meadow.

If you are coming in from the SE, along 288 from 95, you can get off at the Hugenot Trail exit on 288. This is SR711. Take it west. It is a winding rural VA road we all know so well. You will pass a Citgo about half the way. Then the turn in will be on your right, blue sign. That saves about 20 minutes from going all the way up to 64 and then coming back down in the other way. Deep Meadow and the other institutions are all off SR711.

I asked what gets on their books fastest - Post Office money order or Jpay. She checked and told me that Jpay goes direct to their account. Money Orders get processed and may take several days to actually get posted to their account. Of those, they clear the post office ones first.

Last edited by dwfighterva; 03-05-2006 at 05:59 PM..
Old 04-04-2006, 10:29 AM

HEllo my huband was sent to deap meadow correcftional center today. have no idea what. please help

what do i have to do to get calls from him?? do i need an account?

call from DMCC to fairfax va are 2.25 to connect and .25 per min after you could only talk for 20 min. this is bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Daveswife; 04-19-2006 at 10:36 AM..