Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

View Poll Results: does prison help or hurt an inmate?
I think it helps them 26 24.53%
I think in a way it hurts them 80 75.47%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2011, 02:38 AM
He's coming home Jan 24th

Question Do you think prison helps or hurts an inmate?

Do you feel prison truly teaches an inmate a lesson and helps them become a better person when they re-enter society or does it make them more bitter about some of the things they have to endure while locked up?

Everyday is one day closer...
The Following User Says Thank You to tchavon1984 For This Useful Post:
Tuesday123 (10-04-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2011, 03:47 AM
------------------

Thanked 1,008 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchavon1984 View Post
Do you feel prison truly teaches an inmate a lesson and helps them become a better person when they re-enter society or does it make them more bitter about some of the things they have to endure while locked up?
It hurts them, no offense but growing up spending time in my room did not stop me from getting into trouble. Knowing that I would get my ass beat with the belt.... now that would keep me from getting into trouble.

The lack of discipline, the lack of a strong family unit, the lack of respect is the reason for the growing numbers in the system. And unless they actually get to the problem instead of increasing the time "sitting in their room" there will always be a revolving door
Old 04-03-2011, 09:51 AM

I think that it can help them and it is really what they take from it and take from it tha boo said he is done with tha street life cuz he hates prison life and never wants to put himself in tha position where he has to go back so i think to some it cases it will teach them a lesson and make them appreciate what they have in tha outside world and makes them work har and focus on keeping it

In It Til Tha Casket Drops
***I Love Him So Much***
He's
My Knight In Thug Attire
He's My Best friend

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lovinMr.SPENCER For This Useful Post:
GipsieTiger (04-03-2011), tchavon1984 (04-03-2011), ybrady72 (12-21-2017)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Joey's Juliet

I would have to say that it depends on the person. I know people who are bitter and I do know people who have learned their lesson!

As for my Joey - He has made changes and although he hates that he has been in prison for so long . . . he is also aware that it has taught hom many life lessons.

Joey is very appreciative for everything he has. He has seen many men treat their families, wives and girlfriends like crap . . . he is thankful that he has me and treats me like a queen. He says that all of these years in prison have been life lessons for him.

Yes, he has suffered several different types of abuses by the system, but he has also found God, quit smoking, drinking, doing drugs and appreciates every little thing life!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JenZ For This Useful Post:
GipsieTiger (04-03-2011), moemom (04-03-2011), Scott (04-03-2011), tchavon1984 (04-03-2011), ybrady72 (12-21-2017)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Banned

I think it all depends on the person. Some people will never change. Some people come home changed for the better.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:03 AM

I worry about that too. My husband has a 5 year Bid, and I wonder how it will be when he returns home. I think it depends on the man.. and the length of their bid. They have to adapt to a way of living that we will never truly know about... and that makes it hard to adjust to society when they come home. If they spend many many many years in prison, sometimes it seems easier to go back then to be out in the real world. You just have to love and support your man.. Show him he is better than prison. It will be very hard to adjust, harder than us wives could probably understand. But I truly feel it can make the man realize what he had, what he lost, and what he'll never want to leave again!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:09 AM
I drank the Kool-Aid

Thanked 3,261 Times in 1,367 Posts

There's really no A or B answer to this question. It all depends on at least two factors: the principle behind the incarcerating body and the mindset of the incarcerated individual. Rehabilitation only works if programs are offered to that effect and the inmate is willing to take them and follow the principles presented. Punishment only works if DOC follows those guidelines and the inmate determines that any fruit of future crime(s) is not worth dealing with being locked up again.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,208 Times in 2,544 Posts

I don't think there is a clear cut answer to this question. I think it depends on the person and most certainly can depend on the amount of time served.

I think there could be a huge difference in someone doing five years compared to someone doing 15 years. Just that difference could really affect your mental state.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:38 AM
His Milagro

well I can say from my husbands point of view since i just asked him lol, he says it helps you if u take advantage of the schooling and things they do offer, because anyone can sit and say there different but in reality it puts rage in some individuals. It hurts him because he has missed 9 years of milestones with our daughter but she has not known him out here so it is sad but she only knows daddy in there, but he will b home in 10 months and as he cannot take back what he has missed he says he is gonna do everything a good dad does and be there every minuet and not take things for granted...
Old 04-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Account Closed

I think both but i voted for helps.
It depends on the inmate and what they take advantage of and do while in prison. My boyfriend works and hes never really held a job before.. I think hes gaining good skills to re-enter society. He also has realized he "wasted his mind" by not finishing school and doing what he had done. I think prison has stopped him from the path he was leading and helped him decide what path he actually wants to take.
But I know some people dont have the opportunities as he has had and im thankful for how he has changed for the better because of prison.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:20 PM

I think prison can hurt and also help an inmate. It depends on the inmate and the choices they decide to make while incarcerated. Everyone has a choice in life, and they can make a choice to make good changes for themselves or make the choice to hurt themselves by making the wrong choices.

It would be smart if the inmate took advantage of all the programs DOC has to offer. I believe incarceration gives the inmate time while being locked up to think about the things he/she did. In good faith, the inmate should also learn from the experience and move forward to prepare him/herself before getting released. Is the inmate serious about change? Well just have to wait, find out, and eventually see.....
The Following User Says Thank You to jovinato For This Useful Post:
SouthernGyrl (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 03:22 PM
suethompson

I think it depends on the inmate and why he's in there. If they are caught up in the haze of drug abuse and not thinking clearly, then maybe, as in the case of my loved one, it's a good thing. He's clean, has his head on straight, and now, when he's done with this time, he stands a chance.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,841 Times in 1,601 Posts

I think it depends on the inmate and their mind set.. Of course, it also depends on the prison they are in and how they are treated.

For me prison was a blessing.. It let me finally get my head screwed on the way it needed to be. Of course, the 10++ years of being in and out of county jails for violations, new charges here and there, etc, didn't matter.. I obviously wasn't ready yet.
Scott (04-03-2011), SouthernGyrl (04-03-2011), tchavon1984 (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Just don't want 2 b alone

I too, think that it hurts them. How can being locked away with other fustrated, lonely and desperate people be anything but hurtful. Especially without any real form of rehab.

Some of our men are being taught by other inmates who say that they have to be hard and stand their ground by any and all means. That they have to fight in order to stay alive in there, that they have to be ruthless to be left alone and to get what they want. Some of our men adopt that way of thinking and begain living it. They start hurting before they themselves are hurt.

If they, the system, would implement different forms of help into their daily program such as indepth counseling for various problems, schooling, real job training, and parenting classes, offer employment and other options to even the worst case senerio's. Then I could honestly say that it make inmates better people.

The system is failing us too because they are punishing society. Why do I say that? When an inmate is released, it's hard for them to find good paying steady work. So what happens? Without consistant money coming in how will they eat or house themselves? The people in charge are not willing to sacrifice the time nor the effort to develope a regimine that will build character and pride in our men and women. To make them believe that they can leave there and truly become productive in society and family relationships. To make them and the free world know that they've done the time for the crime now let them do what they must to make things right for themselves.

Once again, I think that prison hurts more than it heals.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to No More Tears For This Useful Post:
boobie1110 (08-26-2011), hisbabyny (04-03-2011), Sheryl P. (10-04-2011), Tally2 (05-21-2017), tchavon1984 (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 07:14 PM
He's coming home Jan 24th

Quote:
Originally Posted by No More Tears View Post
I too, think that it hurts them. How can being locked away with other fustrated, lonely and desperate people be anything but hurtful. Especially without any real form of rehab.

Some of our men are being taught by other inmates who say that they have to be hard and stand their ground by any and all means. That they have to fight in order to stay alive in there, that they have to be ruthless to be left alone and to get what they want. Some of our men adopt that way of thinking and begain living it. They start hurting before they themselves are hurt.

If they, the system, would implement different forms of help into their daily program such as indepth counseling for various problems, schooling, real job training, and parenting classes, offer employment and other options to even the worst case senerio's. Then I could honestly say that it make inmates better people.

The system is failing us too because they are punishing society. Why do I say that? When an inmate is released, it's hard for them to find good paying steady work. So what happens? Without consistant money coming in how will they eat or house themselves? The people in charge are not willing to sacrifice the time nor the effort to develope a regimine that will build character and pride in our men and women. To make them believe that they can leave there and truly become productive in society and family relationships. To make them and the free world know that they've done the time for the crime now let them do what they must to make things right for themselves.

Once again, I think that prison hurts more than it heals.
If I had to write why I think it hurts them I would have wrote just about everything you just said I agree with you 100%

Everyday is one day closer...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tchavon1984 For This Useful Post:
hisbabyny (04-03-2011), Klewis (05-31-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,241 Times in 684 Posts

Quote:
in most cases i think it does more harm than good

its also ran like a business, and care nothing about rehabilitation and helping the prisoners to do better in life and treat them like garbage. IMO

prison destroys familys and our loved one's spirit
in rare case's our loved one would be dead if it were not for prison but its still a high price to pay
regardless, by the time they come home they have been forever scarred
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hisbabyny For This Useful Post:
MIKAER (04-03-2011), tchavon1984 (04-04-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 PM

Thanked 1,355 Times in 780 Posts

Quote:
I think prison isn't designed to --teach-- anything, it has long since pasted being rehabilitation. I think prison sucks the self esteem out of a young man and replaces it with "got it's going on..." The inmate gets his self worth (love and respects ) on the inside... He gets caught up in cycle of self destructive behavior, coupled with low self worth, and hidden in foolish pride and he keeps going back, getting more and more trapped in the cycle of need for self worth, until one day that door closes behind him and he wakes up from the coma he thought was his life.
The Following User Says Thank You to MIKAER For This Useful Post:
RowenaLee (08-24-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:27 PM
will always be his girl

i think prison is more hurtful then helpful. prison is ran like a business if it aint getting paid for an inmate they dont want them there, inmates how have done non violent crimes are housed with prisoners who are there for extreme violence and dont care who they hurt. there for non violent prisoners are havin to become violent to protect themselves its that sayin either its me or them. it does have a lot to do with the mind set of the person but i do have to say many people have been mentally broken from being in prison. i do feel that if you commit a crime you should take the punishment, but i also feel the punishment should fit the crime. our system is broken and they are willing to hand out extreme amounts of time and not think about tryin to rehabilitate an individual to help them become a successful person in society. they say are prisons are over crowded but they dont look at things that could help stop that problem. that is where things like education, job training, rehab, and counsiling would help stop the cycle. giving an inmate the chance to succeed in making positive changes for themselves would make a diff in their outlook on life.

It'S oUr TiMe To ShInE
The Following User Says Thank You to serenothompson For This Useful Post:
tchavon1984 (04-04-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:43 PM

This is certainly a very complex question that cannot be answered very easy as everyone is different.

Speaking from experience, I was busted for selling drugs at 18, put on probation and did not learn. I went back to selling drugs and was popped again at 21. I did a 3yr bid and got out changed for the better. Today, 9 yrs later, I am married, have kids and have a very productive career and make alot of money "the right way".

Gipsie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GipsieTiger For This Useful Post:
MIKAER (04-04-2011), tchavon1984 (04-04-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,998 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Can't really be answered...

Gotta through my weight (hmmm, was that a pun?) with the "Can't really be answered group " because it depends on each individual person.

Prison isn't a good place or a bad place. It's just a place. Like everyplace else. It's our perception of it, individually (or in psychological terms, "existentially") that defines it as a good/bad experience for each of us.

It would be like asking "...do you think marriage helps or hurts a person?" Well, that depends on the people, and the marriage. Some are tremendous opportunities for love and growth, others are deadly. Can't really broad-brush something like that.

For me, prison was helpful and I came away from it a richer, stronger more insightful person (did I mention more humble and modest? ) I have other friends whose experience was not so good. But, all to do with us, and nothing really to do with prison...
GipsieTiger (04-04-2011), MIKAER (04-04-2011), Waitil723 (05-16-2017)
Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,803 Times in 837 Posts

I think it depends on the person and the system - different countries, different systems and different outcomes.

Personally I think both the USA and the UK have it totally wrong. In the USA in my opinion the sytem is too harsh with lots of prisoners spending a lot of time locked up alone with very little to do. In the UK the system is too relaxed with prisoners given the choice of employment education the gym or just playing on the XBox. I mean over here the system is so relaxed that we have a high percentage of prisoners leaving for work in the morning and then 'forgetting' to return to their cell and at the moment prisoners are fighting for their 'right' to claim social security payments while they are detained at HMP. How stupid is that?

I think these two extremes are failing and both countries have a high level re-offending rate.

I believe that we should look to countries in northern Europe like Norway and Sweden and Denmark where the re-offending rate is significantly reduced. They have to be doing something right and both the USA and UK need to take some advice because right now what we have is not working and failing those people who need it to work most.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't think prisons are designed to created better people. It depends on the person, if they have learned from their mistakes, take advantage of the programs instead of just trying to get over. No system, program or prison can't rehabilitate a person unless they are willing to change. The first step in making a change is accepting responsibility, but often times you hear excuses instead. It's someone else's fault, or no one is perfect, we all make mistakes, etc. No one is perfect and we all make mistakes, true but we all don't go to prison. As I've said before when you see the posts about people being judgmental or non-supportive-if someone gets out of prison and is making a difference in society even mentoring to others (ex-gang members, addicts, at risk youths, etc.) no one would have an issue with that person, no one. Unfortunately this result is too few and too far between and society is just fed up.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,779 Times in 636 Posts

Quote:
Wow...having been there, I am divided. Did prison force me to change? Yes, but honestly, it was all up to me. It had nothing to do with the unit that I went to. It was me.

Really, this question and it's answer is up to each offender to answer. It was not prison that made me change, it was the fact that I was in a time vacuum and life had gone on without me.

With that being said, I saw many people come, go and then come back. They did not change and realistically, for many, why should they? For many inmates, they don't have "real life" skills and so being locked up is not bad. For them it's three meals a day, bills are paid, they can work or be educated (of course they don't get paid or have to pay). I saw many people time their crimes to where they would be locked up for the cold months ( I was at a state jail that had a min sentence of 6mos.)

Change comes from the realization that your life is a shambles, that your actions are totally unacceptable. Most offenders have committed many crimes that they did not get caught for so they feel like an occasional bid here and there is not so bad.

I don't know what the answer should be in making prisoners want to change but for some people the prison experience helps them, for some it does not and yet for others, it just makes them worse.

This is just my opinion. I appreciate you hearing it out.

Waiting, I have been in perpetual waiting. At the end of the waiting, my family will be reunited and complete. Until then, I will keep waiting, praying, and loving each one with patience and strength. I love you all, I miss you all....until that day comes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OffenderNoMore For This Useful Post:
Scott (06-04-2011), tchavon1984 (04-06-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 11:18 PM

I think for some it helps. I think they get to sit back and analyze things. They start thinking about how we take so much of the little things for granted. They are not free to go and please as they want. They are told when to eat, sleep, shower and etc. I think for some its a wake up call.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:47 PM
I Smell Shenanigans

Thanked 2,372 Times in 1,117 Posts

Depends on the inmate. I personally think it can do BOTH.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeStrange For This Useful Post:
Scott (06-04-2011)