Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc. All information & questions relating to parole, probation, community service, half-way houses, and ex-offender employment in Michigan should be posted here.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:37 AM

Smile Thank you again and again.You have been so helpful. :)

Thank you again and again. You have been so helpful
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2013, 04:25 PM

I hope it clears some things up for you. It's tricky, navigating DOC. Anything else I can answer, please let me know. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by binniecat53058 View Post
Thank you again and again. You have been so helpful
Old 07-17-2013, 05:06 PM

My son called today and is miserable. It is overcrowded and with the heat that makes matters worse. He has an earache so that doesn't help. I wish the waiting list wasn't so long.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:35 PM

I'm so sorry he's not in the best of places. Hopefully, he will get into the program soon. I am so relieved that my son was one of the first classes...he would have caught a ticket just to go back to normalcy (for him). He hated it there...and I can only imagine that it's worse with the heat. Tell him to keep a damp towel around his neck and to sleep that way. It helped my son...

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryblocks View Post
My son called today and is miserable. It is overcrowded and with the heat that makes matters worse. He has an earache so that doesn't help. I wish the waiting list wasn't so long.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:11 PM

I have 2 questions if anyone can answer them....how much yard time do they get daily? And do they have a weight pit?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 PM

I don't remember my son telling me he was in the yard often. I don't think they have a weight pit anymore. It's all parole violators and short term guys (waiting for decision on PVs and the programing they have). There are very few guys there who are there for any length of time (just the food porters and dialysis patients). DRC is short staffed so I don't think they get too much yard time. I think the weight pit was taken out years ago (if my memory serves me correctly).

DRC isn't like regular prison. The rules for regular prison often don't apply there. There aren't any visits and no securepak...no TV, other than the TV room. It's pretty bare bones living there. The guys in the Bridges program are kept separate from the other guys...from what my son said. They have their own unit and own rules. PVs have a different unit and different rules. Other programs are on yet another unit with a different set of rules. Weight pits are paid for by the Prisoner Benefit Fund...there isn't anything like that at DRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn1534 View Post
I have 2 questions if anyone can answer them....how much yard time do they get daily? And do they have a weight pit?

Last edited by pookiedoo2; 07-19-2013 at 09:49 PM..
Old 07-21-2013, 06:46 PM

1 1/2 hours yard time 3 times a day and no weight pit.

Last edited by countryblocks; 07-21-2013 at 06:47 PM..
Old 07-27-2013, 09:34 PM

Omg ladies I'm so sad my guy just called and told me that he isn't even in the system. As some of you may know he was paroled to do rsat. however a c/o told him that there is a high chance that the group he came in with may not even start until January 2014. He was paroled there July 16th. No fans people passing out in the chow hall. Now this. I'm thinking about calling the parole board on Monday just to find out if he really suppose to be there since they have been saying that he isn't even in the system. They have them mixed up with other prisoners and they are on the yard with other prisoners and you don't even suppose to be involved with other prisoners when your on "parole". I'm going to call this lady Jessica Patterson in Lansing to let her know whats going on and what I should do next. I urge all you ladies who have guys waiting for a long time to call her as well she suppose to be the one to move things around. Idk but its worth a shot. This was some bad news for me tonight.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:36 AM

Since he paroled, he won't be in the system (which means no JPay). Tell him he needs to talk to his Arus IMMEDIATELY and tell him/her that he isn't in the system anymore and no one can send money, etc.! This is a glitch in the system. Happened to my son. He talked to his Arus and the Arus fixed it. He's supposed to be there. He's in a facility filled with parolees. It doesn't count when he's there (the no contact with felons rule). Tell him to not go by what the COs tell him...they really don't know much of anything. He needs to talk to his Arus. The PB can't do much about programming in a facility. I think the guys were going through this before they made DRC and that is why they transferred the programming there (isn't that ironic). I'd have him talk to the Arus first and find out what's going on. Don't ever rely on CO info...they are just as confused as the prisoners (really...I know this for a fact...the rules change daily and they can't keep up). You might want to also have HIM check about visits (doesn't matter what someone told YOU...he needs to check with his Arus). Things are all bungled there and if they are mixing the programs now, he may not have visits, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmanuelLady View Post
Omg ladies I'm so sad my guy just called and told me that he isn't even in the system. As some of you may know he was paroled to do rsat. however a c/o told him that there is a high chance that the group he came in with may not even start until January 2014. He was paroled there July 16th. No fans people passing out in the chow hall. Now this. I'm thinking about calling the parole board on Monday just to find out if he really suppose to be there since they have been saying that he isn't even in the system. They have them mixed up with other prisoners and they are on the yard with other prisoners and you don't even suppose to be involved with other prisoners when your on "parole". I'm going to call this lady Jessica Patterson in Lansing to let her know whats going on and what I should do next. I urge all you ladies who have guys waiting for a long time to call her as well she suppose to be the one to move things around. Idk but its worth a shot. This was some bad news for me tonight.

Last edited by pookiedoo2; 07-28-2013 at 05:38 AM..
Old 07-29-2013, 05:34 PM

Default update

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiedoo2 View Post
Since he paroled, he won't be in the system (which means no JPay). Tell him he needs to talk to his Arus IMMEDIATELY and tell him/her that he isn't in the system anymore and no one can send money, etc.! This is a glitch in the system. Happened to my son. He talked to his Arus and the Arus fixed it. He's supposed to be there. He's in a facility filled with parolees. It doesn't count when he's there (the no contact with felons rule). Tell him to not go by what the COs tell him...they really don't know much of anything. He needs to talk to his Arus. The PB can't do much about programming in a facility. I think the guys were going through this before they made DRC and that is why they transferred the programming there (isn't that ironic). I'd have him talk to the Arus first and find out what's going on. Don't ever rely on CO info...they are just as confused as the prisoners (really...I know this for a fact...the rules change daily and they can't keep up). You might want to also have HIM check about visits (doesn't matter what someone told YOU...he needs to check with his Arus). Things are all bungled there and if they are mixing the programs now, he may not have visits, either.
so far I haven't heard from him today but I just logged onto jpay and all his info is up there where he is able to receive money jpay messages...well at least I can write jpays idk if he can receive them. I told him that I didn't think the co's knew what they were talking about however I wonder would his arus know whether or when he would start the group. it doesn't seem reasonable that they would parole him to drc and not start group to January if that's true I will be raising hell. so hopefully he know something new whenever he decide to call. thank you pookiedoo you are such a big help.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:05 PM

Just think, though...he could have gotten a flop instead of parole and would just be sitting in another facility waiting on the class (which he may or may not get). At least this way, he's kicking out some of his parole time while he's waiting. This counts as part of his 2 year parole. His Arus could give him a better guestimate than a CO. The COs there are usually misinformed about what's going on (it's not right, but things are changing daily, so they just can't keep up).

Hopefully, it won't be January...but if it is, try and look on the bright side that he will have that much less time to do on parole on the outside.

Quote:
so far I haven't heard from him today but I just logged onto jpay and all his info is up there where he is able to receive money jpay messages...well at least I can write jpays idk if he can receive them. I told him that I didn't think the co's knew what they were talking about however I wonder would his arus know whether or when he would start the group. it doesn't seem reasonable that they would parole him to drc and not start group to January if that's true I will be raising hell. so hopefully he know something new whenever he decide to call. thank you pookiedoo you are such a big help.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:58 PM

Default DRC confusing. Please help...lol

If the programs/classes are supposed to be approx 3 months, why was your son only there at Ryan for 2 weeks? My boyfriend and I are confused because at the parole hearing she said he'd have to finish the one class he was cut short of because of a transfer... but now he'll be going to Ryan to take the violence prevention program... so does he have to do the WHOLE 3 months worth of program or just re-do the class that was cut short (only about a 30 day class)? I'm just curious why your son only had to do 2 weeks there?
Thanks

Quote:
The program is so new that the COs really don't have any info. He won't get his property. He can have the food that he brought in and his hygiene items that he brought. They do get store to buy additional stuff but no securepak and no tv/radio/electronics. He can only wear what they issue him, so his property is a mute point, really. That the less he has, the better, my son said. You can order him books like you would have in the regular prison he was at (just send it to Ryan). The COs can't make phone calls for them, to find out info or not. Tell your fiancé to write a kite to the facilitator of the class to see what's up. Tell him NO TICKETS EVER while at Ryan. It's an automatic extra week with the possibility of being flopped for 12 months and sent back to the regular prisons. He'll be released on a Wednesday only and taken directly to his PO. Tether may be part of his Parole conditions...but it won't show up until he's out and has it on, I don't think. YOU can get ready for your home inspection (or wherever he's going to live has to). Rid your house of anything that can be considered a weapon or LOOKS like a weapon (even a toy). The POs just pop up out of nowhere. My son's came out about 2 weeks after he got to Ryan. BE PREPARED FOR IT NOW....tell your fiancé to keep his cool. My son says that if you were ok when you went in, you'll be angry while you're there...it's that bad. Frustrating is what he says...
Old 08-02-2013, 05:34 PM

My son's PAROLE OFFICER came out 2 weeks after my son got to Ryan/DRC. My son was there from Feb to May this year. Your boyfriend will have to do the whole class. Right now, there is a waiting list and they say it's quite lengthy so he might not get out in the 3 months. He won't transfer to Ryan/DRC until his actual parole date, either. then, he'll be put on the waiting list and he won't get out until he finishes the class. My son did it in record speed (he said he finished the class before some of the guys who were there before him, so it is self paced). He has to do the VOP/AOP/and the SOP class (it's all rolled into one). Tell him not to freak out about the SO part of the class, they all have to do it. The VOP class was longer than 30 days. I think it was about 4 or 5 months. My son was it in before he was transferred to another facility (he only had about 6 classes left to go before they transferred him). I have all the info on the Bridges program...I know it all too well. If you have questions, please feel free to let me know and I can try and help. I think my son is the only one who has completed it (from the LOs of the posters here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by question102 View Post
If the programs/classes are supposed to be approx 3 months, why was your son only there at Ryan for 2 weeks? My boyfriend and I are confused because at the parole hearing she said he'd have to finish the one class he was cut short of because of a transfer... but now he'll be going to Ryan to take the violence prevention program... so does he have to do the WHOLE 3 months worth of program or just re-do the class that was cut short (only about a 30 day class)? I'm just curious why your son only had to do 2 weeks there?
Thanks

Last edited by pookiedoo2; 08-02-2013 at 05:36 PM..
Old 08-02-2013, 07:07 PM

I read pookiedoo post and she said her son's parole officer came out 2 weeks after he went to Ryan. My son's ERD was June 26th and that is the day he was transferred to Ryan. There is a long waiting list. The instructor left last week for a 2 week vacation . His parole officer called yesterday and showed up about an hour or so later. Home visit went well. His expected release is in November. Don't be in any hurry because there are many others there waiting to take the class. I read an article last night that was interesting. There are more than 7,000 people past their outdate. The prisons are overcrowded so I have no idea why the are still locked up.
Doesn't seem fair to me. Meanwhile, we are waiting for his release. I ordered books and word search puzzle book (biggest book I could) and newspaper to occupy his time. He got a part time job but will probably have to quit when he starts this class and that's ok because then he can get out and have A Chance For A Life.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:31 AM

Default confused to frustrated... but thankful.

God now I'm not sure what to tell my boyfriend... he's been asking if he should go to DRC or recind his parole? His max out date is May of 14. Sound like he's going to be going through hell to what come home and deal with the hassel of parole for 3 months?? and owe be in debt for a torture program that is only going to get him out 3 months sooner??? Does that make sense to someone and I'm just not getting it?? Wonder if he is better staying where he's at?? Atleast he can have visits, tv, and all his other stuff. The only reason he's considering dealing with DRC is cause he thought he'd be home by Thanksgiving... before Christmas MAX. But the way you guys are talking it sounds more like February. He's due to transfer to DRC mid August. He hasn't met with anyone since he got transferred to this sitting facility to understand whats going on... no one has explained anything to him.. they just slid him a parole and transferred to where he's at now 2 days later. So its the weekend so we're hoping someone will be talking to him Monday... like a counsellor or something... can't stand the unknowns and the hurry and waits... frustrating enough for me... so I feel especially upset for him. Time will tell though... Wish I could see the future to give him advise he could use and ease his stress. Thank you all for all the helpful input and support.

Don't be in any hurry because there are many others there waiting to take the class. I read an article last night that was interesting. There are more than 7,000 people past their outdate. The prisons are overcrowded so I have no idea why the are still locked up.
Doesn't seem fair to me. Meanwhile, we are waiting for his release. I ordered books and word search puzzle book (biggest book I could) and newspaper to occupy his time. He got a part time job but will probably have to quit when he starts this class and that's ok because then he can get out and have A Chance For A Life.[/quote]
Old 08-04-2013, 04:49 AM

The program is what he makes of it. He can get it done and over with or he can drag his feet and be in a bit longer. It's a self paced program but I think he has to be done with it within a certain time frame. I doubt he'll be home by Christmas if he goes to DRC, with the waiting list but anything is possible. My son HATED DRC. He said the class wasn't bad but DRC is no joke. He hated it so bad, he refuses to go back. He's living the straight and narrow. They can only keep a person on parole for 2 years max. My son is on a tether with some pretty strict guidelines (he's not a SO, so it really makes no sense). Countryblock's son doesn't have to do tether but my son said everyone in the Bridges program is released on tether...so that might be a hit or miss with your guy. The COs and ARUSs and others in DOC don't know what's going on with the program. He probably hasn't met with anyone because no one knows anything. The rules change daily, it seems. Your guy will have to make the best decision for himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by question102 View Post
God now I'm not sure what to tell my boyfriend... he's been asking if he should go to DRC or recind his parole? His max out date is May of 14. Sound like he's going to be going through hell to what come home and deal with the hassel of parole for 3 months?? and owe be in debt for a torture program that is only going to get him out 3 months sooner??? Does that make sense to someone and I'm just not getting it?? Wonder if he is better staying where he's at?? Atleast he can have visits, tv, and all his other stuff. The only reason he's considering dealing with DRC is cause he thought he'd be home by Thanksgiving... before Christmas MAX. But the way you guys are talking it sounds more like February. He's due to transfer to DRC mid August. He hasn't met with anyone since he got transferred to this sitting facility to understand whats going on... no one has explained anything to him.. they just slid him a parole and transferred to where he's at now 2 days later. So its the weekend so we're hoping someone will be talking to him Monday... like a counsellor or something... can't stand the unknowns and the hurry and waits... frustrating enough for me... so I feel especially upset for him. Time will tell though... Wish I could see the future to give him advise he could use and ease his stress. Thank you all for all the helpful input and support.

Don't be in any hurry because there are many others there waiting to take the class. I read an article last night that was interesting. There are more than 7,000 people past their outdate. The prisons are overcrowded so I have no idea why the are still locked up.
Doesn't seem fair to me. Meanwhile, we are waiting for his release. I ordered books and word search puzzle book (biggest book I could) and newspaper to occupy his time. He got a part time job but will probably have to quit when he starts this class and that's ok because then he can get out and have A Chance For A Life.
[/quote]
Old 08-05-2013, 06:38 PM

I want to make a correction. My son called and he is allowed outside 1 hour 3 times a day, not 1 1/2 hours. He still hasn't started the class and not too happy right now.
I know things do change from time to time, but sure wish he could get in that class that he is ready for.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:34 PM

Update
My son called a couple of days ago and now he was told he starts the class at the end of this month. I know I'm supposed to try to offer encouragement but it is hard when they don't the facts straight. He volunteered for 6 classes since he went in and doesn't know why the parole board said he has to go there for the class. They talk about the same thing. I don't thinks it's rehabilitation. I call it frustration and not fair to send him there with nothing and wait for a class. He cannot have visits either. So once again, I will say to anyone that has to go there not to be in any hurry. Seems like somebody there should know what's going on. At this rate, he won't be home in November. Already had a home visit. Sorry for rambling on. I just wish this was done and he gets out of prison.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:53 PM

I'm so sorry they are dragging their feet! It's frustrating. Tell him to kick those presentations out and get it over with...hopefully, he can do that and come home!!

Quote:
Update
My son called a couple of days ago and now he was told he starts the class at the end of this month. I know I'm supposed to try to offer encouragement but it is hard when they don't the facts straight. He volunteered for 6 classes since he went in and doesn't know why the parole board said he has to go there for the class. They talk about the same thing. I don't thinks it's rehabilitation. I call it frustration and not fair to send him there with nothing and wait for a class. He cannot have visits either. So once again, I will say to anyone that has to go there not to be in any hurry. Seems like somebody there should know what's going on. At this rate, he won't be home in November. Already had a home visit. Sorry for rambling on. I just wish this was done and he gets out of prison.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:13 PM

He was told that he would start the class yesterday. He's been studying and said he had a study buddy who is in the class. The counselor told him now that it starts at the end of August. He said he is ready for the presentations. What level are they when they go there? I looked him up and it's blank and he was level 1. I wonder why RSAT can have visits and he can't.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:44 PM

He's not a level, since he's technically paroled. Not sure why RSAT can have visits, other than it's a longer program (and they may not have visits because DRC is severely understaffed). I don't think they have them on any type of decent schedule, if they do.

Quote:
He was told that he would start the class yesterday. He's been studying and said he had a study buddy who is in the class. The counselor told him now that it starts at the end of August. He said he is ready for the presentations. What level are they when they go there? I looked him up and it's blank and he was level 1. I wonder why RSAT can have visits and he can't.
The Following User Says Thank You to pookiedoo2 For This Useful Post:
countryblocks (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 06:58 PM

That makes sense now LOL. There isn't a level when you have a parole.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:35 PM

M fiancée told me that he start his RSAT classes the end of this month as well. They do have visits. I went to see him yesterday. Its from 5-8:30 on Thursday and I forgot the times on the weekend. One counselor said that some people from the board has been to DRC and they are talks of cutting the classes in half for the people that have been there waiting for awhile. So we shall see
Old 08-09-2013, 03:43 PM

Glad you got to see him!! It doesn't sound like visiting is any length of time if someone is traveling (3 1/2 hours isn't really a lot of time). I figured the days would be cut wayyyyy back, because of the staffing shortage. Hopefully, something will give pretty soon and the guys can start getting things done in a timely manner. I'm so glad my son got in on the start of this program! He was in and out in 90 (I think he'd have caught a ticket if he had to be in there any longer, just to go back to some semblance of a normal life inside).

Quote:
M fiancée told me that he start his RSAT classes the end of this month as well. They do have visits. I went to see him yesterday. Its from 5-8:30 on Thursday and I forgot the times on the weekend. One counselor said that some people from the board has been to DRC and they are talks of cutting the classes in half for the people that have been there waiting for awhile. So we shall see
Old 08-09-2013, 04:03 PM

Default rsat

Quote:
Glad you got to see him!! It doesn't sound like visiting is any length of time if someone is traveling (3 1/2 hours isn't really a lot of time). I figured the days would be cut wayyyyy back, because of the staffing shortage. Hopefully, something will give pretty soon and the guys can start getting things done in a timely manner. I'm so glad my son got in on the start of this program! He was in and out in 90 (I think he'd have caught a ticket if he had to be in there any longer, just to go back to some semblance of a normal life inside).
It really wasn't but it only takes me 30 minutes to get there. The real wait is how long they take to process you. that's what I was saying the guys are losing their mind because they don't wanna sit there. especially not knowing whats going on.