Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 02-05-2018, 12:35 PM

Default After Expungement: What are the agencies that need to be notified?

After the court approves an expungement, what is the list of agencies that need to be notified?

I know there's the police department, state and federal fbi, but who else?

Also, these websites that offer to clean up your internet record. Are they legitimate?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2018, 09:34 PM

Check FBI for NCIC and the Marshals.

The websites that offer to cleanup your record, I wouldn't hold your breath. You may be able to do most of it yourself but the best thing you can do is SEO to try to bury your records to at least page 2 of google.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de8er View Post
Check FBI for NCIC and the Marshals.

The websites that offer to cleanup your record, I wouldn't hold your breath. You may be able to do most of it yourself but the best thing you can do is SEO to try to bury your records to at least page 2 of google.
What is SEO?
Old 02-05-2018, 10:47 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,860 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdj View Post
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization.

It's a method of trying to conceal unfavorable publicity about yourself, by trying to push Google articles about your arrest, nature of your charges, etc. deeper down the list so they don't show up on the first page of the search results when other interested parties (future dates, employers, landlords, etc.) search your name to try to find out about your history.

The idea is that if the bad news is buried deep enough, hopefully other people will give up before they find it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-06-2018), GaReform (02-06-2018), xolady (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 06:59 AM

Thanked 10,917 Times in 5,922 Posts

ANY agency that might have a record...that means the arresting agency, any jail that might have records, any office maintaining records (ie. Clerk) to include computer entries, State criminal record office, FBI and the list goes on...I know some that specifically ensure the Order addresses the third-party aggregators known to exist. An expunction does no good if there are records that remain in the possession of an office...
Old 02-06-2018, 07:08 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,020 Times in 14,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
ANY agency that might have a record...that means the arresting agency, any jail that might have records, any office maintaining records (ie. Clerk) to include computer entries, State criminal record office, FBI and the list goes on...I know some that specifically ensure the Order addresses the third-party aggregators known to exist. An expunction does no good if there are records that remain in the possession of an office...
Does this include the Parole Office? Another offender's PSI / DOC records?

Old 02-06-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Does this include the Parole Office? Another offender's PSI / DOC records?
If those were applicable, then yes, those agencies should be noticed and afforded the opportunity to respond in accordance with the Rules for the jurisdiction and yes, the Order should include them where appropriate.

Fortunately, we don't have many cases that meet expunction requirements in Texas that have such issues (basically no felony is going to qualify). Of those that do get filed, some get challenged on notice requirements (or lack thereof).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
patchouli (02-06-2018), xolady (02-06-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 04:55 PM

Default expungement ?

I have a question concerning online records and expungements. My attorney filed for an expungement on my behalf on the 29th of March. The reason I know is because when I looked at the online court cases, it had it listed as having been filed as a civil miscellaneous, and when I opened it up to look at it, it said I was petitioning for an expungement. It's not the end of the world or anything if it stays on there, but if and when the expungement is granted, will that filing, along with my other cases, also be taken off? I'm just curious because it seems like if the public record of me seeking an expungement to begin with stays on there, then that kind of defeats the whole purpose, doesn't it?

On a positive note, even if it stays on there, the other stuff will be taken off.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,468 Times in 2,775 Posts

I had to deal with this for someone today.

If the expungement is asked for in all cases and is granted in all cases, and then the order is sent to all people/agencies (court, police, FBI, etc) to be notified, yes it will fall off the court site.

(Kentucky court sites only show active cases to the public. If a case isn't active, it's not available online to the public)
Old 04-05-2018, 06:08 PM

So, if you got a case expunged, you are responsible to contact the local PD, etc yourself? Isn't that something that is sent to them?
Old 04-09-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbfan View Post
So, if you got a case expunged, you are responsible to contact the local PD, etc yourself? Isn't that something that is sent to them?
I don't know. It'd be nice if all the party's ever involved in the arrest were notified by the court, but at this point, I'm not taking any chances, and plan on getting in contact with all these agency's myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to tdj For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-09-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:02 AM

Went to court on May 16, and as of last night the online court dockets have taken the conviction off, but the link to the appeals courts still has my case up. Is this unusual, or do the different agencies not necessarily all work in sync?
Old 06-05-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Went to court on May 16, and as of last night the online court dockets have taken the conviction off, but the link to the appeals courts still has my case up. Is this unusual, or do the different agencies not necessarily all work in sync?
Was that site and court included in the Court's Order? In many States, if an agency or entity is not named, then they don't get covered by the Order.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Was that site and court included in the Court's Order? In many States, if an agency or entity is not named, then they don't get covered by the Order.
Yes, the appeals cases were included also. I had a total of two criminal cases and two appeals cases. The appeals website is no doubt updated by someone else then the criminal online case, so I'm just hoping they work on a different time frame. Someone else had mentioned that 3 weeks was an incredibly short amount of time for me to have had my criminal cases removed from the site.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Yes, the appeals cases were included also. I had a total of two criminal cases and two appeals cases. The appeals website is no doubt updated by someone else then the criminal online case, so I'm just hoping they work on a different time frame. Someone else had mentioned that 3 weeks was an incredibly short amount of time for me to have had my criminal cases removed from the site.
Have they been properly served with a copy of the Order? After all, an Order does no good if not served upon the parties impacted BY the Order...
Old 06-07-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Have they been properly served with a copy of the Order? After all, an Order does no good if not served upon the parties impacted BY the Order...
Oh, gosh, I don't know. I don't recall of all the agencies having been notified, them being on that list. But I think after about six months or so, I'll look it up again, and if it's still on there, mail them a copy of the order.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Oh, gosh, I don't know. I don't recall of all the agencies having been notified, them being on that list. But I think after about six months or so, I'll look it up again, and if it's still on there, mail them a copy of the order.
You need to know the process for the jurisdiction...sending a copy by the individual is not always sufficient. It MAY be such that you have to pay for proper service originating with the Clerk's office.