Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Family Scribe

Thanked 2,393 Times in 555 Posts
Default Raised from Level 2 to 3.

My son must in some deep shit. After 4 years down in general with no real problems my son lost 1 years good time, was yanked from CRC in Norco to Chino, then back to CRC but to a “sensitive needs yard.” Lost his visits and calls for 6 months. I have no idea what he did. To top it off his level is being raised from 2 to 3 and he will go to most likely go to Corcoran or Tehachapi. I know no way to find out what he did.

Could he have picked up a criminal charge?

Also does he have to wait a year before his level could drop to 2 again?

Any advice is welcomed

Thou shalt not be a victim.
Thou shalt not be a perpetrator.
Above all, thou shat not be a bystander.
By unknown
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,395 Times in 6,958 Posts

I'm sorry to hear you're in the dark about your son. :/

As far as levels go, it is my understanding that they have their points reviewed once a year. They will drop his points at that review if they feel he has 'earned' a reduction.

The move to an SNY is interesting. I hope you hear soon!
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Dances_w_Ghosts (10-06-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 08:16 PM

He could have requested to be put on a sny yard. My man was recently put on a sny level two and hates it because it's dorm living, he'd love to go back to level three but doesn't want to get in trouble to do it. Chino level 3 sny is a crazy joint.... It's not ran like other prisons.... It's pretty ghetto there on the east yard even being a level three sny it's got a lot of shady crap going on.... I won't go into detail but my man did a little time on that yard and it changed my whole perspective on prison that's for sure. Best bet is to strait up ask him what he did.... to lose visits and phone I'm guessing either drugs or cell phone but who knows.... could be any number of things.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:58 PM

Wow , that is tough . Sorry to hear that. I have to agree that the only way to find out what happened may be through your son. My son is also SNY but level 2 and he likes it better than when he was looked up either alone or with another bunkie for 23 hrs a day. It is dorm living but where he is it's only 8 to pod so not to bad. Hope he ends up somewhere decent where he can regroup and just do his time.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2muchmisery4me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2014, 06:59 AM

I guess each guy is different.... because my man enjoys his privacy and the idea of a cell... easier to gwt along with one guy or cell up with a guy you know you can live with versus eight guys in one room. Eight different personalities can't always be easy to fit in a room but every guy is different. I think it depends on what amount of time you've done, how you are use to doing it and how much time you have left. As for sny yard they are a little more laid back, race isn't as big of an issue and even though there are what they call sny gangs they aren't like gangs on a gp yard. I think the biggest thing, no offense to anyone at all is that some guys have a hard time adjusting to the fact they are serving time, living with, around a lot more child molesters and rapist.... not so common on a gp yard.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,395 Times in 6,958 Posts

My guy is a Level 4 SNY, celled up, two to a cell. He's much happier in the SNY yard and since he can't go mainline again, I guess it's good he does.

I thought maybe the OP's son requested SNY, as well, but I hate to jump to conclusions. I know at times, when a person wants to get off of the mainline, they will instigate a problem (a fight, getting caught with something, ect) so they can be pulled off the yard. It gives them the appearance of being pulled off for disciplinary reasons, but then they have the opportunity to ask for SNY status. It's frankly safer than requesting SNY publicly, especially if you're talking about a guy wanting to drop-out.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:11 PM

I agree, the truth is she really will have to hear it from her son the reasoning behind going to a sny yard and there are way to many scenarios to even attempt to speculate.... in my opinion sny use to be taboo but now there are a lot of guys there that just got fed up with prison politics.... sny yards are popping up all over California due to California using the shu to force guys to debrief in order to program... a lot of men on the sny yards are ex gang members.
miamac (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 07:31 PM

My husband is on a sny, and he asked to be put there because of the politics (he was affiliated and validated). He said there are alot more programs available on these yards, but he still is uncomfortable, at times, with all the guys in there for sex crimes and arson. He's at Valley State.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:11 PM

My man is at vsp as well so believe me I know what you mean Donna... different world fir them there.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:20 PM

Just curious , if you are level 3 are you allowed out of your cell most of the day like the level 2 are or are you in 22 to 23 hrs a day. ? It's not the people my son likes so much as more the freedom of coming and going out to the yard or common room. He was alone or with one other person 23 hrs a day for the first 8 mo awaiting sentencing and reception. Not much yard time. My sons first time in . SNY is funny . He has no sexual charges or drug charges even though he was hallucinating on drugs when all this happened but got put into SNY while doing a psych evaluation before sentencing and once you go in I guess you never come out of SNY. For me I think it's the luckiest thing
that ever happened to him. He also at VSP. He has been housed with quite a few SO but
has had no problem and just tries to mind his own business . Do all sexual offenders go SNY?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:28 PM

No not all sexual predators... but most. Level three has programs.... It's not lock down. 23 hours a day is like ad seg.... Level three sny they have yard, jobs, so forth and so on... phone calls just like level two.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:29 PM

Your son possibly could've shown worry about being harmed, manipulated.... is he young? Sometimes bring young and not street wise is enough to warrant going to a sny yard
2muchmisery4me (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 08:43 PM

Being locked down 23 hours a day is ad seg, aka as the hole....or waiting on a bed to open up. Level three is just like level two but with two man cells... more security and less freedom of coming and goings... on a level two you get to order hobby craft stuff, and if you're a short timer you get job training if the budget allows it.
2muchmisery4me (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 09:28 PM

I was at the Chino SNY 2 yard as recently as a few months ago. We sometimes get people who drop down from the lvl 3 right next door. From what i understand Chino is sort of known as an unusual prison in that the staff there just sort of do whatever they want; it is its own universe. A lot of inmates on the 2 yard used to say "You're not in CDCR, you're in Chino now".

There is a stereotype that all the people in SNY are sex offenders (or informants). This isn't true, though that is where people with those kinds of convictions go. I don't have the hard data (probably only CDCR does), on the perecentages of who is or isn't, but a lot of people in SNY are also just there because they decided to "drop out" of the GP gangs and essentially "retire". There are less racial politics there. I was able to hang out and eat with and be good friends with people outside my race or the races my race was supposed to be aligned with. In GP this would not have been able to happen. Some people have told me going to SNY was the best thing they could've ever done for themselves in terms of working to get back home. Others are sort of forced by their "people" to go to SNY over a disagreement. Sometimes they are made to go there for what seems to be a legitimate reason in terms of within the "prison rules". Other times it is through personal dislike or disagreement and people get forced off GP for reasons that a lot of their fellow people would say are bull. Most people i met in SNY were at one point in GP.

There are also high profile case type people, a lot of elderly people who don't want to or are done with making a career out of prison. Computer hackers, more educated people such as doctors, non career criminals who ended up with felonies like DUI or a domestic violence case, or accidental manslaughter. Met a lot of ex military in there for what tended to be more violent crimes, but they did not want to continue being like that or join a gang or use their skills for whatever prison causes. Also there are just a lot of unaffiliated people there who from what I understand just want to do their own program (whereas in GP depending on where you are there are may be mandatory workouts, you may be required to pay into a communal fund, you have to take certain assignments, etc)

From what I was told there, the SNY and GP populations are almost equal now, though this was just sort of what the word was on the yard. No one had any actual real numbers. Hope this helped.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JackSheppard For This Useful Post:
2muchmisery4me (10-02-2014), Dances_w_Ghosts (10-06-2014), jenilynn (11-07-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 09:37 PM

Yes , my son was 22 and never been in trouble and not street wise at all. He was sent to Wasco BEFORE sentencing by the judge for a psych evaluation because he was behaving odd like he was bi polar . In retrospect he was probably just de- toxing , but maybe a combo of both. They kept him away from GP and had him on SNY yard. Then went back to county in segregation for a while until he was sentenced. Then back to Wasco for for reception . Been at VSP 8 mo now and not a program in sight . Ha ha so much for rehabilitation
Old 10-02-2014, 09:53 PM

Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,251 Posts

My son went SNY level 3 about 6 months ago and, even though he wasn't happy about it at first, it really was the best thing that has happened to him since he's been in prison. He says there are no racial issues, a lot less stress and there are a lot more programs and activities available, plus more freedom in the day room and yard. He prefers level 3 because of cell living and the privacy it offers, but it also helps to have a good cellie, which he does. He said he just minds his own business when it comes to who he associates with and has actually met some really nice guys. I will say that I was very relieved when he went SNY. I don't worry as much about his safety and well-being as I did before.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:57 PM

Some SNY yards have more programs than GP ones, for others it is the total opposite. Chino 2 yard had building maintenance and carpentry when i was there, they had just begun. Not sure what was on the 3 yard but the prison is known for not having a lot of rehabilitation programs in general.
The Following User Says Thank You to JackSheppard For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2014, 10:14 PM

Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,251 Posts

I know. Unfortunately, it seems to depend on the prison and what they will or will not offer. How much better it would be if every prison was interested in rehabilitating and helping the guys before they're released. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my son stays where he now. I know it could be a lot worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to tglsmom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Family Scribe

Thanked 2,393 Times in 555 Posts

Thank you so much to everyone who posted. I know that things can turn on a dime in lock up. My son was 19 when he went in, had never been in jail or even juvie. He was not street smart (he thought he was) He is blond haired and baby faced. I was terrified.
He was charged with killing a well known child sexual predator. People took care of him when he went in (i will thank the heavens for the rest of my life for that). He was in reception 6 months and Tracy a year where I could not get up for visits. Norco is only a hour away and I could see him every two weeks. We had fallen into a "New Normal"
Now he is going North again. Corcoran's reputation was very bad with the "gladiator" fights with the guards betting on them and inmates being shot. I know that was a while back. I am just worried...

Thou shalt not be a victim.
Thou shalt not be a perpetrator.
Above all, thou shat not be a bystander.
By unknown
Old 10-06-2014, 07:53 PM

Dances w Ghost, Hopefully since there was a spotlight on that prison for those fights they are under a higher level of scrutiny . Also with him going SNY i hope it will be less conflict . I know Corocon is a ways up there but at least not as far as Tracy. I drive a little over 4 hrs so I know what a pain it is. Change is always hard . Hang in there
The Following User Says Thank You to 2muchmisery4me For This Useful Post: