Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,841 Times in 4,101 Posts
Question Was he raised in the streets?

"I was raised in the streets and I am a street judge" Judge Mathis

Was your man raised in the streets? Did he leave home at an early age to chase paper?
Mine was.
He left home at 13 and never went back to his Mother's house.
Some would say he will never amount to anything being street raised but Judge Mathis is an example of how that is just not true.
The streets can mold a man into a very strong and viable citizen.
What about your man?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2008, 11:35 AM

Haha...no...but if you ask him he'll tell you he was. He was just a suburban white kid who made some bad choices....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haleyrose For This Useful Post:
Wobabi (12-21-2008)
Old 12-21-2008, 11:36 AM
PrOpErTy Of MiChAeL

Thanked 3,591 Times in 1,607 Posts

I guess the definitions of the "streets" can be different.
Michael in my opinion was raised by a mother who wasn't all there. She tried her best I guess .... But he went out and did his own thing. he never really had any good role models at all. Luckily for him, he taught himself very well.
He started getting into trouble when he was 15 and after that only briefly lived with his mother. He was always being locked up or in rehab or living with others. Home, he never knew that until he moved in with me. Now he has a home, not just a house to live in, but a home.

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

Old 12-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Outmate missin her inmate

Streets. And I hope that Judge Mathis can change most people's opinions of our men who were raised in them/by them.

Joe's Wife For Life

WE is so much better than I, if YOU need proof, just look at US
Old 12-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,169 Times in 884 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily say he was raised in the streets, He had a home and all. The streets raised him. All of his brothers were into street stuff and he was the youngest, so he just fell into the fast life. He started his criminal stuff at the age of 9 and its just been that way now 21 years later.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Miss Him

Yes he was raised in the streets and out runnin a muck at a young age
Old 12-21-2008, 11:54 AM
True love is wonderful

Yep...raised IN the streets, BY the streets. No daddy, and moms had her own activities that weren't showing him any better. Raised into a gang from his youth. He has the smarts and influence to influence a lot of people. I hope he can cultivate that attribute into something more positive when he gets out. A lot of people look up to him and if he went on the straight and narrow...it is crazy how many others would quickly follow. It's like a game of follow the leader and although there will always be others to take their place, he can lead a lot of guys out of this life and out of the patterns of being from the streets.
" Fate, as I have come to understand works exactly like an atom. There's always going to be balance. No matter how awful the situation now feels, please know that there will be some kind of rebound along the way. Never give up. Keep fighting through your life, even though the biggest war may in fact be inside ourselves."
Old 12-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts

yes, from the age of 14, he was on the streets of dc by himself. he's told me his grandmother was very mentally ill and abused him and his brother to the point they honestly couldn't take it anymore. the streets were actually safer. he rarely comments about details. it's a subject that is extremely painful for him and so i try and respect his feelings and not mention it very much. he's told me one day when he's free and we can be alone, he'll sit down and tell me everything. i cannot imagine a child of 14 having to fend for theirselves.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:17 PM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 18,160 Times in 7,204 Posts

Not in the way I think most of you are speaking. He wasn't in a gang or homeless or whatever, but he was a wild child and running amok doing drugs, petty thieving, etc. In and out of youth camps from the age of 13.

But no - he was just a wild, Southern Cali, dope fiend white boy.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:25 PM
I drank the Kool-Aid

Thanked 3,259 Times in 1,366 Posts

Tyrone started running the streets in his early teens. He had a good father and a stable home but his father wouldn't put up with the BS. He told Tyrone it was "follow the rules or get out". Tyrone, thinking he knew it all, got out. So he was raised by the streets, DCF, and juvie.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Soooo SINFULLY IN LOVE

Default Feeling the effects more then you know!

BABI I LOVE YOUUUUUUUU!!!
You be on it!

BC THIS IS THE INTERNET, I'M AFRAID TO REVEAL TOO MUCH BC @ THE END OF THE DAY THIS IS REAL LIFE FOR MY HUSBAND AND I

He went in the streets at 14 to hustle but At 17 he created a gang that was NEVER meant to grow so large. But today the monster he birthed has grown so large in their capacity that you honestly wouldn't believe it if I told you. I know you wouldn't believe it becuase as I live it, I have a hard time believing that it's really real!!! Every day it's something (good and bad) and I am like WTF It's so surreal.

PER THE NJ STAR LEDGER (JONATHAN SCHUPPE AND WILLIAM KLEINKNECHT)" XXXXX is a legend in Essex County's criminal underworld" and "Few suspects have frustrated authorities like XXXXX" "He continued to call shots for the XXXX XXXX, ordering jailhouse attacks on rivals, authorities said. He was transferred to a state prison in Arizona, where officials hope he will do less harm."

My husband is STREET TO HIS HEART as you can see.... the streets is all that he has ever known and what he has proven to be good at. Although he is being given ample opportunities to go legit and I'm scared that he isn't going to be able to turn his back on what he created, when he goes legal

Last edited by KingReeksLady; 12-21-2008 at 01:12 PM..
Old 12-21-2008, 01:02 PM
missin my hubby :(

I agree with yaya The streets raised him

He grew up in Watts which is on the south side of LA. His mom was in and out of the picture, he was the oldest had to support the family, the typical story you see on a BET movie He left home when he was young, moved to ATL left and came to NY where he met me. He held down a few jobs here and there but the streets was his life. He wanted them new jordans? he either robbed someone who had them on or robbed someone for the money to get them. He hates having a boss and listens to no authority. His social values are that of the street, Get or get got.

in love since 2.14.06
Old 12-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Miss Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyslady13 View Post
Yep...raised IN the streets, BY the streets. No daddy, and moms had her own activities that weren't showing him any better. Raised into a gang from his youth. He has the smarts and influence to influence a lot of people. I hope he can cultivate that attribute into something more positive when he gets out. A lot of people look up to him and if he went on the straight and narrow...it is crazy how many others would quickly follow. It's like a game of follow the leader and although there will always be others to take their place, he can lead a lot of guys out of this life and out of the patterns of being from the streets.
Follow the leader, that's exactly it
Old 12-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Banned

Thanked 4,309 Times in 1,765 Posts

Mine was not raised in or by the streets. He didn't have a great life growing up, but it was better than mine. I wasn't raised in or by the streets either. I left home at a young age, I did my share of stupid Sh*t, but I left home to get a job and because I was tired of raising my sisters.

While I agree that the streets don't have to beat everyone down, there are other alternatives to going there anyway. I never wanted to be any part of that life, and I refused to even be around it. I have worked jobs since I was 14 years old, taking any and everything available to me, including selling plasma and picking crops, so I wouldn't have to rely on anyone to help me.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:16 PM
all by myself

Thanked 1,355 Times in 753 Posts

mine had a mom and dad but choose the street life at a young age

also along with Judge Mathis if you have time watch the food network channel:
Chef Jeff Henderson chronicles his amazing journey from a life of crime on the rough streets of South Central, LA to his days in prison, where he discovered his passion for cooking, which led him to eventually become the executive chef at Café Bellagio in Las Vegas, to his latest endeavor helping at-risk youth realize their potential in the kitchen.
he has a show where they take young adults off the street or who just need a push in the right directions teaxhes them how to cook in the end they all get a scholarship to a culinary(sp sorry) school

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ant's wife For This Useful Post:
Wobabi (12-21-2008)
Old 12-21-2008, 05:22 PM
chin up, boots laced
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,087 Times in 806 Posts

Mine ran the streets and began paying his Momma's rent and bills, plus feeding his 7 siblings at age 11.

Ants--Was Chef Jeff the one who was executive chef at the Bellagio recently? I think I read a book about him and his wife.

Last edited by irshnrse; 12-21-2008 at 05:23 PM..
Old 12-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Donation Award 

If you understand, raised in the streets with both hard-working parents in the home.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:49 AM

Yes he was. He has been out on his own since 11 years old his mother put him out at that age can you believe it? This is the age when his older cousin passed him a gun and told him to make that sale. I guess his cousin may have thought he was helping him out but making it possible for him to get money but I really blame his mom for alot.

Still to this day whenever I get a picture of him she go around boasting to everyone that that is her son and how much she misses him but it has been 8 years and she has never visited him or even wrote a letter to her son. I guess he is glad we had that chance meeting when we did because with out me and our daughter he tells me he would have nothing to live for. I love him and I will do what I can but after careful consideration we both decided that his parents will have little to no hand in raising my daughter.

I know I so went off topic but I guess I needed to vent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonette For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (12-22-2008)
Old 12-22-2008, 11:40 PM

Yes Irish it's the same Chef Jeff....the book is titled Cooked...I think it is being made into a motion picture starring Will Smith...
Old 12-23-2008, 12:02 AM
WINNING! Admin

PTOQ Editorial Team Member 

Donation Award 

Thanked 37,838 Times in 10,456 Posts

Actually there is a thread on the Chef Jeff project here's the link:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371265

Now let's get back on topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobabi View Post
"I was raised in the streets and I am a street judge" Judge Mathis

Was your man raised in the streets? Did he leave home at an early age to chase paper?
Mine was.
He left home at 13 and never went back to his Mother's house.
Some would say he will never amount to anything being street raised but Judge Mathis is an example of how that is just not true.
The streets can mold a man into a very strong and viable citizen.
What about your man?

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

Old 12-23-2008, 12:07 AM
he's home!

AJ basically raised himself.

his mom was a drunk who tried to kill him as an infant. She would pop in and outta his life as a child. Still he loved her and had a love hate relationship with her. She died a few years ago. He hasn't been able to get over it because he was locked up when she passed away and never got the chance to make peace with her.

His dad, AJ, feels like only takes care of him because he HAS to.

So, J has always had to do what he had to do to survive.

always-n-4-ever
tothemoonandback
A.'n' C.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajsangel For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (12-23-2008)
Old 12-23-2008, 09:18 AM

Thanked 1,847 Times in 1,256 Posts

My man left home early and was running the streets. His parents encouraged his activities and it is no surprise that he ended up where he did. He is a survivor and because of that experience he is a very street smart man. I can't imagine what he would be like had he not lived this way. He's got a free spirit and he's very creative...I can't see him as a doctor or a lawyer or just an ordinary guy.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Imma B Here....

Yep - although he always kept close contact with his mom droppin' by to leave money and groceries consistently. He was always with the"OG's". They took a liken to him because he was young and soooo smart and was willin' to learn. When I was 16, people used to say..."You wit' that rich N--- from the point huh?" I would blush like nobody's business, go figure...Back then you would get so much respect for being the "wife" of a baller, and it came with sooo many perks. At 16 driving drop tops and wearing diamond rings on every finger, carrying the latest designer bags was the bidness......I've grown sooo much! You wouldn't catch me dead lookin' like that now. Sorry ya'll I had a flash back and went on a tangent....
Old 12-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsangel View Post
AJ basically raised himself.

his mom was a drunk who tried to kill him as an infant. She would pop in and outta his life as a child. Still he loved her and had a love hate relationship with her. She died a few years ago. He hasn't been able to get over it because he was locked up when she passed away and never got the chance to make peace with her.

His dad, AJ, feels like only takes care of him because he HAS to.

So, J has always had to do what he had to do to survive.
that is so sad!!!!!! i'm sure he feels very blessed to have you!!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:42 PM

my babe was raised in the streets of san antonio his dad left him at 5 and his mom always worked so she didn't give him any time, so he turned to gangs, she died when he was 13 !!!! he was left with his older sister but she was too busy with her own babies she didn't have time for him. he started roaming the streets more and more and came to dallas here he caught his first charge at 15 and has been in and out nof prison ever since. He dropped outa skool in the 6th grade and "hustled" from then on...so i got me a street man but it's all good cuz i love my man no matter where he came from