Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Raising Children with Parents in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Raising Children with Parents in Prison For the Parent left behind with children AND for the Children that have a parent inside. Discussion of unique challenges facing this group!

Old 09-25-2007, 04:40 PM

Smile Daughter of Incarcerated Father

I noticed that seem to be a lot of parents with questions about what to do or say to their kids. My father was sentenced to 25-life for murder. This happened when I was a freshman in high school and I'm now 26 years old. If anybody would like to ask me any questions I'm here to answer.

I realize the hardest part of this situation would be when the children are very young, I doubt I'd be able to help there. But if it means anything, I'm actually glad my father went to prison in a way (but after this long I think it's time for him to come out). Since he went in he's stopped drinking, stopped doing drugs, has a relationship with me now (never did before), started working out, attended and graduated from a school program in there to learn a new trade, he has even lost his temper. My dad is a changed man and it took prison to do it. If he would of kept on the path he was headed then he'd be dead now, without a doubt.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

tarita, I'm glad your dad has changed for the better and you guys have a relationship now. Sometimes it does take people "hitting their bottom" before they realize they need to change their lifestyle... Good luck and I do hope he's able to come home soon..

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 09-28-2007, 07:14 PM
hATiN' iS A WEAk EM0Ti0N

that's great that u now have a relationship with him and that he's changed so much for the better. my dad has been locked up pretty much my whole life and still has 5 years to go. i'm 18 now and when i was 14 i finally became curious and decided to write him, but i stopped because i just cant bring myself to forgive him. not for being in prison, but for never being there for me the short time that he WAS out. i dont know if my dad has changed because i never knew him before... but i assume he hasn't because i tried to go see him and he said he was going to get me a special visit but he never even tried. as much as it hurts... i give up on him =/

Old 10-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarita
I noticed that seem to be a lot of parents with questions about what to do or say to their kids. My father was sentenced to 25-life for murder. This happened when I was a freshman in high school and I'm now 26 years old. If anybody would like to ask me any questions I'm here to answer.
My story is similar to yours:

My dad went to prison for 88 years to life when I was 17. He's been gone for 7 years this month and the worst thing is knowing he's not going to give me away at my wedding, he won't be there when his grandchildern are born and all of the milestones that you would normally share with your dad. I miss him like crazy and my only wish would be for him to one day come home. But sadly, that will never happen.