Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:26 PM

Default Under Investigation for Embezzlement

All,

I was fired from my employer for possible embezzlement and fraud.

I hired and attorney and am sitting here .... Waiting.

No idea how long the wait may be or what the final number will be either. It is over 200K.

My attorney is hoping for a plea deal with full restitution BUT my former employer is piling up any and all that he can. Even stuff i did not do.

I have never been arrested and am sitting here wondering --- When are they coming and when will i get arrested. My attorney said it could be months and to "live your life"

Any advise would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2019, 02:13 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,467 Times in 12,940 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Your lawyer is correct, what happens will be up to the police and prosecutors, and will take as long as they decide. Your lawyer will be working to get you the best possible outcome, and time passing can sometimes be a good thing. Your lack of a criminal history will help too.

Your employer has little to do with the eventual outcome, and anything you are accused of taking will have to be proven.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk. Your lawyer is correct, what happens will be up to the police and prosecutors, and will take as long as they decide. Your lawyer will be working to get you the best possible outcome, and time passing can sometimes be a good thing. Your lack of a criminal history will help too.

Your employer has little to do with the eventual outcome, and anything you are accused of taking will have to be proven.

Thank you for the reply. I literally wake up with a pit in my stomach every day. And every time my lawyer talks to me he tells me that the number has gone up. How long can my former employer keep piling up the amount?
Old 03-17-2019, 08:39 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,467 Times in 12,940 Posts

As long as the investigation continues I'm afraid. Technically it could go on until just before the statute of limitations expires in 5 or 6 years, but realistically it will end whenever the government decides to end it. Try to relax, and stop worrying about what your employer wants. You are in for a long, bumpy ride with the prosecution system, so try not to make it even worse than it already is.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
As long as the investigation continues I'm afraid. Technically it could go on until just before the statute of limitations expires in 5 or 6 years, but realistically it will end whenever the government decides to end it. Try to relax, and stop worrying about what your employer wants. You are in for a long, bumpy ride with the prosecution system, so try not to make it even worse than it already is.
Thank you again -- I very much appreciate the responses. The stress and anxiety is driving me nuts. In a way -- I think it is all a bad dream that I will wake up from, Then I wake up and realize that it is real. My attorney said -- Live your life. So hard. But thank you again.
The Following User Says Thank You to tddtex For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-17-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 09:36 AM

You were smart to retain an attorney. Depending on the circumstances, they may be able to head a criminal charge off before it even gets that far.

Can you start making restitution now? Or at least put that money aside? If you can, that factor alone will help you at any potential sentencing in the future. Voluntarily paying back va being forced to can lower your potential exposure.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to ttexrbomb For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexrbomb View Post
You were smart to retain an attorney. Depending on the circumstances, they may be able to head a criminal charge off before it even gets that far.

Can you start making restitution now? Or at least put that money aside? If you can, that factor alone will help you at any potential sentencing in the future. Voluntarily paying back va being forced to can lower your potential exposure.

Good luck.
I am putting money aside. Selling off some things. I want to have a decent number aside so we can make an offer when needed.

My other issue is -- If i do get any time for this -- and then get out -- how do i pay back anything if i can not get a job?? Still feeling stuck
The Following User Says Thank You to tddtex For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-19-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 06:48 AM

Hello and welcome. I do not have any information on your question but still wanted to support you.
I know exactly what you are going through as it has been my life for the past year and a half.
My loved one recently self surrendered to federal prison for embezzlement,tax evasion.
I wasn't aware of his crime until they kicked open the door! I thought I was living a fairly normal life until that point.
I don't want to compare his case to yours though because I don't want to scare you. He pleaded guilty, he embezzled a lot more money than you mentioned here so I'm sure the penalties will be different. I don't want to scare you.
I hope you decide to stick around here though because lots of people have priceless information here to help you along. There's plenty of people who have been through it. There's also lots of people who will support you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidebiotch For This Useful Post:
Endings (03-29-2019), fbopnomore (03-29-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 07:56 PM

Thanked 1,611 Times in 814 Posts

Your attorney should be able to call the Feds and find out exactly what is going on in your case. My husband's biggest mistake was not having his attorney do this and thinking it would just go away if he did nothing. Meanwhile, on the last day of the statute of limitations he was indicted. He had no idea what was going on, the gov't had never spoken to him, but had built their case by talking to other people only. All along they thought he was the big fish, but by the time they realized he wasn't, it was too late for them to go after the big fish, and too late for my husband to really help them. Hence he learned it's much better to come out ahead of something then to sit there and wait. So definitely have your attorney stay on top of things and know what's going on. Our attorney kept us in the loop, so we had a good idea when the indictment was coming down, as unsettling as it was.

You can also try to head things off by working out a deal with your old employer now before you are actually charged. If you can do that, it may save you a lot of headaches later.

Otherwise, it can be a long road while the government does their investigation, but again, your attorney can keep abreast what is going on. If they start subpoenaing your accounts you will know what they're looking for. If you're saving $ to pay it back and it's in your name, they can just take it once they determine you owe it, so be prepared for that aspect.

Don't just assume if you're charged, take a plea, and go away (all depends on the amount and your criminal history) that you'll never be able to get a job again. People are generally forgiving and the key is to own up to what you did, admit the mistake, etc. but first and foremost is definitely to try to make the person you embezzled from whole again, even before waiting for the hammer to drop. That will show good faith, your attorney may even be able to handle that kind of arrangement/settlement.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
GaReform (03-31-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 05:17 PM

Do everything you can to save up that much money, or as close to it as you can. The more you can make the victim whole the better. Be able to show the court this if you’re indicted.