Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:11 PM

Default If You're Headed to a Camp

Getting ready to leave:
First things first take care of your family. It is all about them now. Your life will be put on the shelf and theirs will keep going. They are going to be lost for a few months until they are accustomed to you leaving. It will be the hardest on your wife because she is now the mom and the dad. She will make all the decisions and you will be helpless where you are. Donít try to control things when you are there because all it will lead to is frustration on your part. Youíll think back and remember this that the telephone is now the hellaphone because it will mostly bring you bad news and anger. The weeks leading up to your incarceration can be the most stressful and also can bring the family closer together. You are probably feeling lost and donít know what to expect but one thing is for sure your leaving. You will be notified by the Marshalls where to report within 72 hours of going. Either you will call them or they will call you. Make sure that you do this because it will be very important to you and you final days. On your way there donít expect much conversation because you will be thinking of what to expect when you are there.
When you get there.
Depending on where they send you and where you have to report you will get there and then the process begins. Try not to be drunk or stoned because then they will put you in the shu (special housing unit) to detox. This is known as the hole. This is not a good place to be for your first days. When you get there you will be stripped and searched for contraband and so forth. After this process depending on what time you get there you will see medical for an evaluation. Remember these are govt workers and could care les about you. After they are done poking and prodding you, you will be given a rule book and a picture ID. This is your new identity; you are now a number and not a name. Always carry this card with you. Your first five numbers are the number of people convicted in your district and the last three is you district that you are out of. You are then sent to a cube or dorm depending where you are. The cubes are 3 men and are very small so try to get along. This is your home away from home for several years. If you are in a dorm setting there are usually bunk beds as far as the eye can see and the same applies with getting along. People will ask you all kinds of questions about you and what you have done. My best response to this is not to give up any information that will be detrimental to you and you safety. They people there are not the brightest and it is like being in second grade with the bullies and the jerks. This is your new home. If you are lucky there is usually a welcoming committee per say that will get you shower shoes and some other items that will help get by until you go to commissary for the first time. Itís ok to take them they are there to help and get you thru. They are just trying to do good.
The first few days.
Depending on how things are handled there it can vary from place to place. You will be a man of leisure and will listen for your name over the speaker to go to the case managerís office and to the counselorís office to go over everything. This is where they assign you a job or should I say ask you what you are good at and what you want to do. They will also ask you about if you owe restitution and so forth. If you owe restitution they will set you up with a payment plan. You will have to follow it because if you donít you will be put on restriction. This means no phone no commissary and no visits consider them as collection agents for the government. They are not intelligent so donít get into many things with them because they wont help. So, now you have a job and are ready for work.

Work:
Work call is usually around 7am, you will report to you job site and see the C/O there and he will take attendance to make sure your there. Most of the jobs only pay around 14cents an hour. Trust me you wont get rich. The only place that you can make some money is at UNICOR. This is the government company that does a variety of things. They pay up to 1.00 dollar per hour. But if you owe fines and restitution they will take half. So it becomes a losing battle. Most of the shops that you will work for are overcrowded. So if you want to work you can and if you donít you can go and read a magazine or even sometimes sleep depending on the C/O in charge. Some are nice and some are how do you say assholes. You ill work until 11is and go to lunch and then back to work around 12pm until 3pm. That is your work day. Monday thru Friday unless you work in food service which is seven days a week. That is basically it for the work.
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner:
Breakfast is usually around 6am till 7am. There you will be greeted with oatmeal or farina on Mon wed and Fri. Tues days and Thursdays you will get cold cereal to eat. Two containers of milk a piece of fruit and maybe some sort of Danish. Do not leave the chow hall with anything but the piece of fruit. They will watch and give you a shot which is like a disciplinary thing.
Lunch:
Is usually the best meal of the day in the BOP. Someday you will get chicken or a hamburger but usually it is the best meal of the day.
Dinner:
Not the greatest meal of the day but it will cover you over.
Donít expect great portions because they are watching cost and have to feed several hundred inmates. Remember always bring your ID card with you depending on where your at you must swipe your card to get a meal.
Commissary:
Commissary is usually done once a week and it goes by the fifth digit of your ID card. If your even you might go on Tuesdays or if your odd you will go on Wednesdays and vice versa depending where you are. Commissary has all your basic needs and food. The spending limit for the month is 290.00 it might be more once again depending on where your at. This is for the month. Your first trip to the commissary is usually the most costly. You need shower shoes, soap holder tooth paste holder and of course a radio and head set. Without this you will not be able to watch TV. The TVs are set up usually on a FM frequency and you tune to the station to listen. Plus you will want it just to get away from the BS somedays. You can purchase this item for 50.00 it is a Sony Walkman that you can buy from the dollar store for ten dollars. But now you are part of the system and youíll pay. You might be able to buy a radio from another inmate but the problem is on the radio your number will be etched and if a C/O wants to be a hard on he will take it and no more radio. The prices on the food are really outrageous. And the quality is not that good. It is pretty much dollar store material and is jacked up. They say it is for sports equipment. I donít believe it.
Telephone and Commissary account:
All of your money that you get sent in will go to your commissary account and you will have to transfer it to use the phone. When you are there you will get a letter in the mail . This will be your pin code for the phone. You will not be able to make calls for a couple of until you get this code. Remember bring some money with you so it will go on your books immediately. I would say around three fifty a little bit more. So that way you can go to commissary and use the phone. Or your family can also send you money by western union or sending it in to a lockbox in Okla. But that takes time so have some money when you go there. The phone calls are expensive and as are around 35 cents a minute with and are outrageous when it comes to collect calls. By the way you will have to fill out a phone sheet with all the people you will want to call. This is priority if you want to call someone in the first couple of days. It can be updated as you go. Remember they do listen to the phones so be careful what you say it might come back to haunt you. Ok enough said.
Paying for things inside.
Everyone gets a hustle while you are there. May it be fixing radios, selling vegetables, and so forth. Everyone does something. How do you pay for these things? There are several ways
1) The barter system I got you got and so forth
2) You pay with commissary on your day
3) You pay with macks, tuna or stamps.
The last things youíll hear very often these things are just like money. Packs of Mackerel are sold on the commissary they are 1.50 but used as a dollar same things with tuna packs. This is your new economy while being there.
You can almost get anything you want as long as you have the money!!!!!!
The last thing is sending money to someone elseís account. I donít recommend this because you are now relying on people on the outside to do something. They will screw it up trust me and you will get jammed up.

Commissary and Restitution
If you owe restitution and or fines the government will collect them while you are in jail trust me on this. When you first get there the counselor will ask all these questions and set up a payment plan. Usually it starts at 25 per quarter. But it goes by this weird formula that gauges how much you have in your commissary account. The more money you have in there the more money they will take from you. So if you want to keep them off your backs just have 600 per quarter in there so you will only have to pay the 25 per quarter. If not you will be paying a large sum every quarter or possibly every month. I did not want to pay them so I kept to fewer than six hundred per quarter.
What to expect for your days while your there:
Monday thru Friday you work from 7am to 3pm with lunch at 11-12pm Breakfast is at 6am -7am and dinner is at 5pm.Breakfast on the weekends are at 6am brunch is at 11am and dinner is at 5pm.
Every day there is counts. During the week the counts are at 4:15pm this is a standup count. Do not talk and be standing because if not you will be hauled off to the shu (special housing unit) and there you will sit for a few days. The next count is at 10pm this is a count that does not require you to be standing but in your bunks for count. Remember no talking. During the weekends and holidays the counts are at 10am which is a standup count and 4:15pm standup and 10pm which is by your bunk. There are counts during the night while you are supposedly asleep. Please note if you like to be under the covers just have one arm sticking out so they can see that you are there if not they will raise the covers and will shine a light in your face. They do it.
Visits
Visits are on Friday night Saturdays and Sundays. Depending on where you are and how they work it. Friday nights are from 5pm-8pm Saturdays are from8-3 and 5-8. Same with Sundays, Holidays are from 8am-3pm.Once again depending where you are it goes like this. Odd numbers which is on your id card and is the fifth number. Like mine was 11851-067 the fifth number is 1 so I was odd. It usually goes on rotating schedules of odd and even. When you go to a visit you will be called and enter a room and be patted down and then proceed to your visit. When you are in the room you will see your loved ones who you can embrace and kiss. Donít get to friendly they will say something. Inside there are rows of chairs to sit and there are also vending machines to snack on. So tell your family to bring singles for the machine. After your visit you will kiss and embrace and wait in line to be stripped and clothed and sent on your way. For your family when they enter for a visit, they must turn off cell phones preferably leave them in the car. They will fill out a form and proceed to the visiting room and wait for you. They should bring a clear purse and leave their big purse in the car. Dress code for the women are highly enforced I seen many a girlfriend and wife be sent away because of their clothing. So women dress appropriate.
Reminder gets your visiting forms out to your friends and family so they can fill them out and get them back in to be approved. Your counselor has the forms or they are outside of their office. Without them they canít visit. Also bring a copy of them to your visit because sometimes he C/Os canít locate them.

Recreation
Depending where you are there is some sort of recreation. They might be a track to run and walk. Softball, football, basketball and other things for you to get involved. There might even be a gym with weights to work out if you are lucky. Take care of yourself all you have is time. This is your second chance use it wisely. Remember the people that you will meet are like being back in grade school so adjust your mentality. Some places take their sports seriously. They do gamble on this so be prepared.
Gambling
Yes there is even a bookie to place bets with when you are there. Be careful not to get into a jam there because you live with these people and word of mouth gets around. So pay your bill and keep your mouth shut. As they say you play you pay.
Smoking
Smoking is not allowed but of course you can find them and they are like the stock market. Supply and demand. They can get expensive. So try to quit now.
Cell phones
There is a myth and truth about them. They are there but if you get caught with one you will be quickly shuffled off to the shu and there you will stay for a while. Most likely be transferred to another facility. Just look around you if you are in a camp no fences not many rules. You will be sent behind a fence with ten minute moves and harder people to deal with.

Last thought
If there is anything that I missed just ask and I will put it in. Remember you are going to be ther for a bit so keep your mouth shut about personal things and watch who you hang out with. It can and will get you in trouble. This is your new ďhomeĒ for a while. Your word is your bond so if you say something keep to it. Itís a big thing in there. Donít talk about your case because it will only get people talking and thatís the last thing you need or want. Trust me. The time will pass as you get into your routine. If you say that you have a lot of time just look at the person who is quite he probably is just getting done doing twenty years.
I wish you the best and hope that your time goes swiftly. Remember it will come to an end some day.

The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to hogonut For This Useful Post:
06fsrk (07-04-2016), amoro82 (06-30-2014), BCMC2011 (11-06-2011), blue141 (04-12-2013), browneyes1181 (04-10-2016), candy (07-01-2017), chey99 (12-23-2012), cindysue7 (01-09-2018), Concerned23 (06-12-2011), CrazyMailMan (01-23-2011), crowghost29 (01-26-2012), Crystal57722 (05-07-2016), DuchessFord (10-29-2015), elliosh1 (01-24-2014), Endings (03-20-2019), FeelingWidowed (02-03-2011), FelonLady (08-13-2018), FemaleCV (02-10-2017), flynnman22 (01-05-2015), FriscoLady (01-18-2011), Ftf123 (02-25-2014), gettingready (03-20-2013), gettingthruthis (03-14-2012), jadtem (08-25-2014), jcsahin (01-31-2012), JH22 (07-07-2011), JStein (08-06-2013), ken's EMT (09-19-2015), kjbg1963 (04-27-2014), lank76 (06-25-2012), Martin3096 (07-09-2015), MrBW (04-07-2012), Ms. Perry (01-22-2013), MsUndrstood (02-13-2016), pameladee325 (06-02-2011), purpleiris (02-25-2011), Randy803 (05-13-2013), Roxie5166 (01-31-2017), rudy2015 (02-23-2015), SammiD (07-16-2015), sanlee911 (04-04-2012), Sele_89 (09-01-2013), Shortfatsexyguy (05-13-2017), swordc (10-11-2014), toby1118 (10-12-2015), tolik178 (09-13-2013), ZainyJoe (10-09-2011), Zoina (12-05-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2011, 11:56 AM

Thank you so much Hogonut ,I will be sentenced feb 24 to a federal camp for 5 years according to the PSI report,your report here has been very helpful I will probly read it a few more times over the next month .....
The Following User Says Thank You to FLYBYNIGHT For This Useful Post:
Endings (03-20-2019)
Old 02-22-2011, 03:06 AM

Thank you. I have to turn myself in 4/1 for 2 years. Not sure where Im going yet.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:49 PM

Default Thanks for posting this. Women?

I read your comprehensive post and some of it, particularly schedule things, reflect what I've read in other places but some of the culture things I have to wonder whether they are the same or similar for women's camps. After weeks of thinking I was going to be going to FMC Carswell, it turns out I've been assigned to Alderson (report date 3/15/11 for 40 months). We don't know yet where they're planning to incarcerate my wife. So much to do, so little time and so little information. I'm disabled and use a combination of electric scooter, bariatric rollator, and hiking sticks plus special bed padding. We doubt they'll have anything appropriate and that I'm going to be spending the next three years in pain and with considerable difficulty getting around -- but we're both grateful I'm not going to the hell-hole that is FMC Carswell.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:18 PM

I know you wrote this awhile back, but thank you so much. I am reporting to Alderson WV camp on April 1st. I know I can handle it, but going prepared takes a lot of the anxiety away. I am hoping 21 months fly by.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:16 PM

mattie_honey, we need to exchange info. I ss on April 4 to Alderson for 24months. It would be nice to know someone going in. Ive learned so much from PTO. This site has alleviated my fear of the unknown.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:45 AM

I remember when I walked to the front door of Fort Devens in MA. for a 70 month sentence. It was undescribable. A horrible horrible feeling. Then to be put in the hole for 5 days with nothing was shocking. BUT I did walk out and I want all of you to know that you will walk out. Your life will get back on course. After the initial shock wears off take advantage of the time. That sounds like a hard thing to understand right now but you will understand soon. Get in shape. I walked out of prison at the age of 36 in the best shape ever. I felt like a new person. I had taken a lot of time for physical and mental rehab. The system has already beat you down DON'T let them continue to do so. Walk out of there a better person with a new positive outlook on life. Try your best to stay away from the negativity in prison. You will recognize those people instantly. Hard to imagine but I met some of the best people in the world while incarcerated and I am thankful for that. I learned many lessons and prospered from them all. Just remember that it will end. Stay positive and appreciate what you still have. I wish you the best!!
P.S. Hogonut did a nice job..

Last edited by PrisonConsultnt; 03-14-2011 at 11:48 AM..
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to PrisonConsultnt For This Useful Post:
Abolitionist (03-02-2016), BCMC2011 (11-06-2011), candy (07-01-2017), chey99 (12-23-2012), cincyboy (11-19-2012), Crystal57722 (05-07-2016), Endings (03-09-2019), LoveNeverEnds (03-15-2011), mattie_honey (03-16-2011), misfit7 (04-24-2011), MrBW (04-07-2012), rawdeal (01-15-2012), Shortfatsexyguy (05-13-2017), swordc (07-12-2014), Yanyor (05-16-2012)
Old 03-15-2011, 09:38 PM

Sounds good, I know we will be in the same area for the first 2 weeks. Have you had any experience in a place like this? I was locked up for 1 month while being transported from California to Baltimore for trial (spent a couple of weeks in Oklahoma). Let me tell you... THERE IS A CON AIR... and I don't wish it on ANYONE. MUCH happier to be SS!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:50 PM

Anybody know if there is a camp in Aldersen for Men? Or maybe one in North Carolina?
Old 04-19-2011, 02:23 PM

Great Post,
I will be going in to the Prison Camp in Miami do you have any insight on the camp and what activities are in use?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 PM

Feeling Lost! My husband was sentenced and 2 weeks later April 11, 2001 self reported to Texarkana, Tx Camp. Not much time to prepare or gather information. Was taken in to the Min. security. He checked in with a US postal money order and the clothes on his back. I have not heard from him. I have been advised that he may still be in the min. side? My question is why? Beds? In addition, is this normal I have not heard from him?
Anyone have any information about the camp at Texarkana? I sent from a book site last week three used books but they were hard covered will they be sent back? I received his clothes yesterday? Very sad and painful!! information about Texarkana would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:52 PM

Feeling Lost! My husband was sentenced and 2 weeks later April 11, 2001 self reported to Texarkana, Tx Camp. Not much time to prepare or gather information. Was taken in to the Min. security. He checked in with a US postal money order and the clothes on his back. I have not heard from him. I have been advised that he may still be in the min. side? My question is why? Beds? In addition, is this normal I have not heard from him?
Anyone have any information about the camp at Texarkana? I sent from a book site last week three used books but they were hard covered will they be sent back? I received his clothes yesterday? Very sad and painful!! information about Texarkana would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donni View Post
I dont know anything about Texarkana FPC but I do know they put them in the next highest facility at first then move them to their assigned unit after a month or so. So if he is assigned to a camp they put them in a min. security, if he was assigned to a min. security he would enter the Low security facility first. He will be ok. Have Faith Dear
Old 06-12-2011, 12:41 PM

Default Duluth FPC

Does anyone know how long it takes to be processed and how long before I can visit my husband if he self surrenders on July 1,2011.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:02 AM
SOON TO GO IN

Thumbs up Thanks So much

Hi I think and I hope I'm ss to otiseville and if anyone can give me some info it would be great.
Thanks for this post it was a great guild.
All the best to you all,
Lee
Old 07-29-2011, 09:02 AM

Default headed to prison

Thank you so much for taking the time out to educate those of us who are heading to prison, I was sentenced last month to 23 month in a federal prisn camp it would have been longer if I would not have taken the advice of my attorney and hired a prison consultant. My psr recommended 33-41 months and although 1 day spent in prison is to long I am happy with what I received. The judge also gave me an extra 60 days to self surrender although I have never been in trouble before I can say along with the information you have provided and the guidance from that higher power I do see light at the end of the tunnel. thanks again
Old 07-31-2011, 12:47 AM

Default dont know what to expect?

[quote=hogonut;5898748]Getting ready to leave:
First things first take care of your family. It is all about them now. Your life will be put on the shelf and theirs will keep going. They are going to be lost for a few months until they are accustomed to you leaving. It will be the hardest on your wife because she is now the mom and the dad. She will make all the decisions and you will be helpless where you are. Donít try to control things when you are there because all it will lead to is frustration on your part. Youíll think back and remember this that the telephone is now the hellaphone because it will mostly bring you bad news and anger. The weeks leading up to your incarceration can be the most stressful and also can bring the family closer together. You are probably feeling lost and donít know what to expect but one thing is for sure your leaving. You will be notified by the Marshalls where to report within 72 hours of going. Either you will call them or they will call you. Make sure that you do this because it will be very important to you and you final days. On your way there donít expect much conversation because you will be thinking of what to expect when you are there.
When you get there.
Depending on where they send you and where you have to report you will get there and then the process begins. Try not to be drunk or stoned because then they will put you in the shu (special housing unit) to detox. This is known as the hole. This is not a good place to be for your first days. When you get there you will be stripped and searched for contraband and so forth. After this process depending on what time you get there you will see medical for an evaluation. Remember these are govt workers and could care les about you. After they are done poking and prodding you, you will be given a rule book and a picture ID. This is your new identity; you are now a number and not a name. Always carry this card with you. Your first five numbers are the number of people convicted in your district and the last three is you district that you are out of. You are then sent to a cube or dorm depending where you are. The cubes are 3 men and are very small so try to get along. This is your home away from home for several years. If you are in a dorm setting there are usually bunk beds as far as the eye can see and the same applies with getting along. People will ask you all kinds of questions about you and what you have done. My best response to this is not to give up any information that will be detrimental to you and you safety. They people there are not the brightest and it is like being in second grade with the bullies and the jerks. This is your new home. If you are lucky there is usually a welcoming committee per say that will get you shower shoes and some other items that will help get by until you go to commissary for the first time. Itís ok to take them they are there to help and get you thru. They are just trying to do good.
The first few days.
Depending on how things are handled there it can vary from place to place. You will be a man of leisure and will listen for your name over the speaker to go to the case managerís office and to the counselorís office to go over everything. This is where they assign you a job or should I say ask you what you are good at and what you want to do. They will also ask you about if you owe restitution and so forth. If you owe restitution they will set you up with a payment plan. You will have to follow it because if you donít you will be put on restriction. This means no phone no commissary and no visits consider them as collection agents for the government. They are not intelligent so donít get into many things with them because they wont help. So, now you have a job and are ready for work.

Work:
Work call is usually around 7am, you will report to you job site and see the C/O there and he will take attendance to make sure your there. Most of the jobs only pay around 14cents an hour. Trust me you wont get rich. The only place that you can make some money is at UNICOR. This is the government company that does a variety of things. They pay up to 1.00 dollar per hour. But if you owe fines and restitution they will take half. So it becomes a losing battle. Most of the shops that you will work for are overcrowded. So if you want to work you can and if you donít you can go and read a magazine or even sometimes sleep depending on the C/O in charge. Some are nice and some are how do you say assholes. You ill work until 11is and go to lunch and then back to work around 12pm until 3pm. That is your work day. Monday thru Friday unless you work in food service which is seven days a week. That is basically it for the work.
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner:
Breakfast is usually around 6am till 7am. There you will be greeted with oatmeal or farina on Mon wed and Fri. Tues days and Thursdays you will get cold cereal to eat. Two containers of milk a piece of fruit and maybe some sort of Danish. Do not leave the chow hall with anything but the piece of fruit. They will watch and give you a shot which is like a disciplinary thing.
Lunch:
Is usually the best meal of the day in the BOP. Someday you will get chicken or a hamburger but usually it is the best meal of the day.
Dinner:
Not the greatest meal of the day but it will cover you over.
Donít expect great portions because they are watching cost and have to feed several hundred inmates. Remember always bring your ID card with you depending on where your at you must swipe your card to get a meal.
Commissary:
Commissary is usually done once a week and it goes by the fifth digit of your ID card. If your even you might go on Tuesdays or if your odd you will go on Wednesdays and vice versa depending where you are. Commissary has all your basic needs and food. The spending limit for the month is 290.00 it might be more once again depending on where your at. This is for the month. Your first trip to the commissary is usually the most costly. You need shower shoes, soap holder tooth paste holder and of course a radio and head set. Without this you will not be able to watch TV. The TVs are set up usually on a FM frequency and you tune to the station to listen. Plus you will want it just to get away from the BS somedays. You can purchase this item for 50.00 it is a Sony Walkman that you can buy from the dollar store for ten dollars. But now you are part of the system and youíll pay. You might be able to buy a radio from another inmate but the problem is on the radio your number will be etched and if a C/O wants to be a hard on he will take it and no more radio. The prices on the food are really outrageous. And the quality is not that good. It is pretty much dollar store material and is jacked up. They say it is for sports equipment. I donít believe it.
Telephone and Commissary account:
All of your money that you get sent in will go to your commissary account and you will have to transfer it to use the phone. When you are there you will get a letter in the mail . This will be your pin code for the phone. You will not be able to make calls for a couple of until you get this code. Remember bring some money with you so it will go on your books immediately. I would say around three fifty a little bit more. So that way you can go to commissary and use the phone. Or your family can also send you money by western union or sending it in to a lockbox in Okla. But that takes time so have some money when you go there. The phone calls are expensive and as are around 35 cents a minute with and are outrageous when it comes to collect calls. By the way you will have to fill out a phone sheet with all the people you will want to call. This is priority if you want to call someone in the first couple of days. It can be updated as you go. Remember they do listen to the phones so be careful what you say it might come back to haunt you. Ok enough said.
Paying for things inside.
Everyone gets a hustle while you are there. May it be fixing radios, selling vegetables, and so forth. Everyone does something. How do you pay for these things? There are several ways
1) The barter system I got you got and so forth
2) You pay with commissary on your day
3) You pay with macks, tuna or stamps.
The last things youíll hear very often these things are just like money. Packs of Mackerel are sold on the commissary they are 1.50 but used as a dollar same things with tuna packs. This is your new economy while being there.
You can almost get anything you want as long as you have the money!!!!!!
The last thing is sending money to someone elseís account. I donít recommend this because you are now relying on people on the outside to do something. They will screw it up trust me and you will get jammed up.

Commissary and Restitution
If you owe restitution and or fines the government will collect them while you are in jail trust me on this. When you first get there the counselor will ask all these questions and set up a payment plan. Usually it starts at 25 per quarter. But it goes by this weird formula that gauges how much you have in your commissary account. The more money you have in there the more money they will take from you. So if you want to keep them off your backs just have 600 per quarter in there so you will only have to pay the 25 per quarter. If not you will be paying a large sum every quarter or possibly every month. I did not want to pay them so I kept to fewer than six hundred per quarter.
What to expect for your days while your there:
Monday thru Friday you work from 7am to 3pm with lunch at 11-12pm Breakfast is at 6am -7am and dinner is at 5pm.Breakfast on the weekends are at 6am brunch is at 11am and dinner is at 5pm.
Every day there is counts. During the week the counts are at 4:15pm this is a standup count. Do not talk and be standing because if not you will be hauled off to the shu (special housing unit) and there you will sit for a few days. The next count is at 10pm this is a count that does not require you to be standing but in your bunks for count. Remember no talking. During the weekends and holidays the counts are at 10am which is a standup count and 4:15pm standup and 10pm which is by your bunk. There are counts during the night while you are supposedly asleep. Please note if you like to be under the covers just have one arm sticking out so they can see that you are there if not they will raise the covers and will shine a light in your face. They do it.
Visits
Visits are on Friday night Saturdays and Sundays. Depending on where you are and how they work it. Friday nights are from 5pm-8pm Saturdays are from8-3 and 5-8. Same with Sundays, Holidays are from 8am-3pm.Once again depending where you are it goes like this. Odd numbers which is on your id card and is the fifth number. Like mine was 11851-067 the fifth number is 1 so I was odd. It usually goes on rotating schedules of odd and even. When you go to a visit you will be called and enter a room and be patted down and then proceed to your visit. When you are in the room you will see your loved ones who you can embrace and kiss. Donít get to friendly they will say something. Inside there are rows of chairs to sit and there are also vending machines to snack on. So tell your family to bring singles for the machine. After your visit you will kiss and embrace and wait in line to be stripped and clothed and sent on your way. For your family when they enter for a visit, they must turn off cell phones preferably leave them in the car. They will fill out a form and proceed to the visiting room and wait for you. They should bring a clear purse and leave their big purse in the car. Dress code for the women are highly enforced I seen many a girlfriend and wife be sent away because of their clothing. So women dress appropriate.
Reminder gets your visiting forms out to your friends and family so they can fill them out and get them back in to be approved. Your counselor has the forms or they are outside of their office. Without them they canít visit. Also bring a copy of them to your visit because sometimes he C/Os canít locate them.

Recreation
Depending where you are there is some sort of recreation. They might be a track to run and walk. Softball, football, basketball and other things for you to get involved. There might even be a gym with weights to work out if you are lucky. Take care of yourself all you have is time. This is your second chance use it wisely. Remember the people that you will meet are like being back in grade school so adjust your mentality. Some places take their sports seriously. They do gamble on this so be prepared.
Gambling
Yes there is even a bookie to place bets with when you are there. Be careful not to get into a jam there because you live with these people and word of mouth gets around. So pay your bill and keep your mouth shut. As they say you play you pay.
Smoking
Smoking is not allowed but of course you can find them and they are like the stock market. Supply and demand. They can get expensive. So try to quit now.
Cell phones
There is a myth and truth about them. They are there but if you get caught with one you will be quickly shuffled off to the shu and there you will stay for a while. Most likely be transferred to another facility. Just look around you if you are in a camp no fences not many rules. You will be sent behind a fence with ten minute moves and harder people to deal with.

Last thought
If there is anything that I missed just ask and I will put it in. Remember you are going to be ther for a bit so keep your mouth shut about personal things and watch who you hang out with. It can and will get you in trouble. This is your new ďhomeĒ for a while. Your word is your bond so if you say something keep to it. Itís a big thing in there. Donít talk about your case because it will only get people talking and thatís the last thing you need or want. Trust me. The time will pass as you get into your routine. If you say that you have a lot of time just look at the person who is quite he probably is just getting done doing twenty years.
I wish you the best and hope that your time goes swiftly. Remember it will come to an end some day.

[right now i am so worried about my wife and kids,and mom and dad! thier the ones taking this the hardest,been in jail a few times didnt like that much,but this is much differant looking at 3 1/2 to five years! all this seems like a bad dream]
The Following User Says Thank You to dave48 For This Useful Post:
Lyngirl (08-08-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 08:13 AM

Default I know how you feel

I lost my mom and dad while I was in prison. There isnt a day that I dont miss them and want to tell them that I loved them and miss them so. Right now take care of your family the best you can do. The way it sounds is 42 to 60 months from what you are saying. Hopefully it will go quick and noyhing drastically happens in your life. Ask yourself this question you remember when you were around 18 and thought your parents were wrong . Go back to there and tell your parents your sorry for everything . They will look at you like your crazy but they will eventually understand good luck swift journey We need you back here to help the next
john
Old 08-16-2011, 10:44 AM

Default elf surrendering next week

Hello to all I am new to the site and was directed to this heading to prison forum I was suppose to report on the 25th of August to Dublin Ca Fed Camp got a call from my Attorney and he said the judge changed my report date so im not sure when im reporting or where, My attorney said the judge was not confortable with me being sent to Dublin when there is a Fed Camp in AZ where I reside and I have kids so im playing the waiting game nevertheless I have everything in order for my 23 months vacation and I am so ready to get it over with and reunite with my family, good luck to all of you who are heading to a camp and my prayers go out to you on a successful journey.
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertgyrl For This Useful Post:
HylaLeah (04-03-2012)
Old 08-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Am a new member of this informative site, and have benefitted greatly by the hundreds of posts I have read. I face the distinct possibility of one day being at a Federal camp and I have seen in other posts that most (if not all) of the camps have a library. I have read that these almost always have legal books, but am curious as to other materials available in the library. Additionally, if I find out which camp I will be in, is it possible to donate books to that camp's library in advance? I know this is an odd line of questions, but almost all of my other questions have been answered elsewhere. Thanks for any reply.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:24 PM

I had the same question when my brother was sent off. He's been at two places [low and a camp]. I'm able to mail him paperback books [usually I send 1 or 2 in a bubble pack]. You can only get hardbacks directly from a bookstore, so I now mostly order books from Amazon since they have good delivery timelines and prices, but make sure you limit an order to 5 books per box. His bunkies/cellies are also avid readers so they have a steady inflow of books. They can keep a limited number in their cubes, so the rest go to the camp library, although the good books usually get taken quickly. I've subscribed magazines for him [news, cars]. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to fred's sister For This Useful Post:
chey99 (12-23-2012)
Old 08-21-2011, 09:55 PM

Thank you for the reply. If I understand correctly, I will be able to keep five books in my area at a time--and I will. When you say the others go to the camp library, does that mean that when your brother finishes a book, it goes to the library? That seems nice.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Account Closed

Yes, once you finish a book pass it along to another inmate or give to library. You can mail them home, but I never did. I also only buy used paperback from Amazon or Thriftbooks.com.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 PM

I just got done doing 18 months in Fort Worth FCI the place is a Low and not to sound like it was a good time but it was very easy time to do,Other than the cops about 98% of them were cocksuckers lock you up for anything and very smart mouths too.. I was on the Houston unit the roughest unit on the compound and never had any problems at all other than with the Punk Ass Cops. If you can put in for a prison that has good food and laid back no bullshit that is too big just stay out of the way that is the place to go. I know a bunch of people there still doing lots of time and can hook you up with a few good folks to lookout for ya. Just request Fort Worth..
The Following User Says Thank You to Dieselman For This Useful Post:
Rodhope (02-23-2013)
Old 11-01-2011, 06:48 PM

Default looking advice/ RDAP

hello im new to this page..I just got sentenced to 24 months. and have to self surrender Jan 3 of 2012. My case was a drug case and the judge did recommend the RDAP program for me. i dont have any history of a abuse problem other then a D.U.I over 10 years ago. Do u think based apon her recommendation i will qualify? The judge also asked me if i perferred any particular prison camp. i asked for a recommendtion to Taft camp not knowing there wasnt a RDAP program. I know Lompoc camp has the RDAP program,but its a little futher, but if i could get up to a year cut off my sentence it would be worth it. just looking some advice. anything will help. thank you all..