Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:56 PM

Talking Letter letter letter!!! I got a letter! Gurney Texas Prison Unit

I finally heard from Gary!! He is at Gurney, and he finally made store and got some stamps and was able to get a letter into the mail. Apparently making the mail is a little more involved than I thought for them. He said that he had trouble getting the indigent supplies, but he got some, although I put some money on his books. He just had trouble getting to the store to buy the stamps. Then he said that he had to get the letter finished before dinner time (which is at THREE PM! WTF? Are they running a Senior Saver special like at the buffets in Florida???). So he got it in the mail on 5/4, and it got to me today, on 5/7, so it's not as bad of a turn around as I feared.

He also said that they don't get mail on the weekends, or jpays.

He said that they were issued really uncomfortable black boots that had no support in them, so he bought some shoes at the store. When I told him I put money on his books, I told him to get himself something nice.

I am SO RELIEVED. He sounds so good and so positive in this letter - I am just BESIDE MYSELF.

We are walking down the hall together, babe, one step at a time. I can see the door, and I can feel your hand in mine. I love you. You will always be my Firework.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallwaywalker View Post
I finally heard from Gary!! He is at Gurney, and he finally made store and got some stamps and was able to get a letter into the mail. Apparently making the mail is a little more involved than I thought for them. He said that he had trouble getting the indigent supplies, but he got some, although I put some money on his books. He just had trouble getting to the store to buy the stamps. Then he said that he had to get the letter finished before dinner time (which is at THREE PM! WTF? Are they running a Senior Saver special like at the buffets in Florida???). So he got it in the mail on 5/4, and it got to me today, on 5/7, so it's not as bad of a turn around as I feared.

He said that they were issued really uncomfortable black boots that had no support in them, so he bought some shoes at the store. When I told him I put money on his books, I told him to get himself something nice.

I am SO RELIEVED. He sounds so good and so positive in this letter - I am just BESIDE MYSELF.
my husband is in gurney lmao...he wrote a letter complaining about the boots & dinner too....why 3pm?? i have no clue but they need commissary to keep their bellies full. when im hungry im bitchy so i can imagine them in there hungry & abused!
The Following User Says Thank You to hischubchub For This Useful Post:
Hallwaywalker (05-27-2010)
Old 05-08-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSAGGERS View Post
my husband is in gurney lmao...he wrote a letter complaining about the boots & dinner too....why 3pm?? i have no clue but they need commissary to keep their bellies full. when im hungry im bitchy so i can imagine them in there hungry & abused!
I know!! And he said that breakfast is at 2:30 AM. WTF? What is the point of having breakfast that early? I don't get it. If I get up too early, I get sick to my stomach, so I cannot imagine trying to eat at 3am. Blech.

We are walking down the hall together, babe, one step at a time. I can see the door, and I can feel your hand in mine. I love you. You will always be my Firework.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:43 PM

When did he get transferred? Have you talked to him or gotten to visit yet? Mine just got transferred this past Thursday and I want to make sure I am doing everything I am supposed to. I have put money on his jpay, registered our home phone. Can you think of anything else? I appreciate any insite.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethStarr View Post
When did he get transferred? Have you talked to him or gotten to visit yet? Mine just got transferred this past Thursday and I want to make sure I am doing everything I am supposed to. I have put money on his jpay, registered our home phone. Can you think of anything else? I appreciate any insite.
I had to get another TXDL, b/c I had an out of date addy on there, and I read somewhere on here that if your addy on your ID doesn't match the addy he puts down for you on the list, then they won't let you in. But I haven't had a visit yet, so I don't know. It sounds like you've done everything you can, for now. I'm guessing that since I haven't gotten a call from Hubs yet, he's not done with classification and whatnot yet. The bummer of it is that he's going to get done with it and be able to have visitors and I'm going to be out of the state! I had made plans to go to my little sister's graduation on the 15th, and I'm flying down the day before, and then I'm staying for 3 weeks - and he will likely be eligible for visits as soon as my plane gets off the tarmac! Grrr.

He got transferred out of Collin County on the 29th, so they apparently came in at the same time.

Where are you in TX? I'm in Fort Worth. Maybe we can share a ride to Gurney when I'm back in TX.

Last edited by Hallwaywalker; 05-08-2010 at 10:29 PM..
Old 05-09-2010, 08:56 PM

That is wonderful - Praise God!!
The Following User Says Thank You to mch1005 For This Useful Post:
Hallwaywalker (05-11-2010)
Old 05-26-2010, 09:57 PM

I am in south fort worth. I hope you have been able to hear from your loved ones. We got to visit this past Saturday, but I am worried about this weekend. I just heard they were on lock down. Let me know if you have any questions. I am still learning this process, but I will try to answer what I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to BethStarr For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Waiting Patiently

Cool shoes?

how much are the shoes? and are they tennie shoes?

my husband has a rod in his leg and doesn't needs support to be confi.

Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to MnJRod06 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Waiting Patiently

Question

what phone service does Gurney use? can you explain the phone process on both end?

Quote:

Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnJRod06 View Post
what phone service does Gurney use? can you explain the phone process on both end?
Hey -

The shoes were $30 I think?? Not sure - he told me in his letter, but I don't remember definitely. He said they were "real lace up tennies" so he was really happy with them.

As for the phones - I am still sort of about the phones. I set up our land line, got it approved with TDCJ (through the friends and family website) and then he has to do his thing on his part - there's some sort of voice recognition, and a form he has to fill out (still don't really know what the deal with the form is, either). But I'm still in NC, so even if he could call, it wouldn't do any good. We are hopeful that he will have it all done on his end (my end is all done) by the time I am home in June.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I am in south fort worth. I hope you have been able to hear from your loved ones. We got to visit this past Saturday, but I am worried about this weekend. I just heard they were on lock down. Let me know if you have any questions. I am still learning this process, but I will try to answer what I can.
I read somewhere on here (maybe the lockdown thread?) that they could still have visits, but I would call first.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 AM

The phone is a very frustrating process. You must have a home phone and after that is set up you must register it with Embark (Texas Friends and Family). You can register online or by calling them. Then you must set up an account with correctional billing services or jpay. Correctional Billing services were very difficult to deal with so I just have put money on the phone section of jpay, but he has still not done the voice recognition so it has yet to work. He had an appointment to get it done, but they went on lock down and no one moves during this time so who kjnow when he will get to go again. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to BethStarr For This Useful Post:
Hallwaywalker (05-31-2010)
Old 06-05-2010, 12:44 PM

HI Just wanted to say My husband is also at Gurney. He is actually one of them making your husband's meals right now. I believe there are only 15 kitchen workers. He is being moved up to Trustee status so may be moved soon who knows but once he moves up he gains 9 months taken off of his short way. I also know all about the lockdown and heard all about it. The boots I know are $17 if you buy some better boots there. I do have a list my husband sent me of what all the commissary amts and costs are. I am really familiar with Jpay as well as how the phone system works. Let me tell you. if your husband gets a head cold.. the phones won't work for him until his voice is clear again. we went thru that. On visitation, I do believe there is a 60-90 day wait until you can have contact visits. You can always call the unit and ask. They will tell you. Ask your husbands to send you their paperwork and time sheets and such. I keep a file here for all mine's paperwork and he sends me the medical records info from intake and anything he gets.

Hope that helps. Feel free to contact me.
Patty
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patty0669 For This Useful Post:
Hallwaywalker (06-06-2010), Lacey.Brianne (07-02-2010), MrsG22010 (06-19-2010), RCall (09-11-2010)
Old 07-02-2010, 03:42 PM
*Peace*Love*Happiness*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty0669 View Post
HI Just wanted to say My husband is also at Gurney. He is actually one of them making your husband's meals right now. I believe there are only 15 kitchen workers. He is being moved up to Trustee status so may be moved soon who knows but once he moves up he gains 9 months taken off of his short way. I also know all about the lockdown and heard all about it. The boots I know are $17 if you buy some better boots there. I do have a list my husband sent me of what all the commissary amts and costs are. I am really familiar with Jpay as well as how the phone system works. Let me tell you. if your husband gets a head cold.. the phones won't work for him until his voice is clear again. we went thru that. On visitation, I do believe there is a 60-90 day wait until you can have contact visits. You can always call the unit and ask. They will tell you. Ask your husbands to send you their paperwork and time sheets and such. I keep a file here for all mine's paperwork and he sends me the medical records info from intake and anything he gets.

Hope that helps. Feel free to contact me.
Patty

Thanks for the helpful advice. You said that your husband sends you all of his medical records and such. Is there a Release of Information form Jay should fill out so that his medical records can be released to me or does medical hand Jay the records so that he can forward them to me? I'm not married to Jay so wasn't sure if that would make a difference if there is a Release of Information involved.

You also said your husband prepares the food there so maybe you can share with us what his thoughts are on the meals? I've heard different things going in either direction...good and bad.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty0669 View Post
HI Just wanted to say My husband is also at Gurney. He is actually one of them making your husband's meals right now. I believe there are only 15 kitchen workers.
Hey Patty! If your guy is still in there, he might be in the same dorm as my guy. Hubs was put into a dorm with a whole lot of cooks, he said.

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
He got transferred out of Collin County on the 29th, so they apparently came in at the same time.

Where are you in TX? I'm in Fort Worth. Maybe we can share a ride to Gurney when I'm back in TX.
My xhub just transferred from Collin County as well. He hasnt called or written yet since he just got there July 1. I have used Jpay to send him a letter so hopefully he will get that at least. I put money on his account but I'm not really sure how much am I suppose to send? I havent had to do that before because when he went to Collin County his friend put a good amount in his books and I didnt have to.
I'm in Mesquite Tex