Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > When the Relationship is Over...
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

When the Relationship is Over... This forum is about discussing your thoughts, feelings and issues now that you and your incarcerated (or formerly incarcerated) loved one are no longer together. (This forum is NOT for bashing - please read the rules before posting.)

Old 08-14-2019, 12:39 AM

Default Son's dad just incarcerated...

My 7 year olds father just had his probation revoked and sentenced to the full 6 years for 2nd degree burglary. I have a few questions, he seems to think that he will only end up serving 7 - 9 months? That doesn't seem right. It is his first conviction, no violence, caught on video and stole liquor and cigarettes, dumbass. I just wondered what type of time he may actually be away... Secondly, he hasn't paid child support in years, I didn't prosecute before cause what help would that be? Now I'm guessing he will be in there for at least 2 years, is it worth prosecuting to get his wages garnished while in there? Hate for him to be munching Cheetos while my kid needs school supplies! Appreciate any info, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2019, 12:57 AM

Not sure your state's laws, but here in Florida, he would be in for a rude awakening. He would have to serve 85% at least. As for the child support, again depending on state law, either way you probably wont get anything while he is in. But, haing an order established when he is released would be in your favor.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:19 AM

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing about the time, I just want to be realistic when my son asks questions, and I don't lie to him. I didn't file before because that's not going to help him find a job, however I feel like it should be on his record at least, even if he never pays... Thanks for the input!
Old 08-14-2019, 02:05 AM
Strength Keeps Me Going

If he's on child support it's already on records down town. Where you filed for child support against him, it's on his record.
The Following User Says Thank You to keywii For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 06:13 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,927 Times in 15,440 Posts

And as I understand it, past due support does not go away either. Even after the child is no longer a child.

(unless the child is disabled........I believe thats a whole nother can of worms there)

That's my dog's nose art

Old 08-14-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
And as I understand it, past due support does not go away either. Even after the child is no longer a child.

(unless the child is disabled........I believe thats a whole nother can of worms there)
I don’t know if it varies from state to state but in Ohio it definitely does not go away. My kids dad is WAY behind on his payments, about 8-9 years of payments. He is now paying but 2 of the 3 kids are over 18 and out of school but he still has to pay the back support in addition to the current amount for our last kiddo.

The Following User Says Thank You to Amandainohio For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-14-2019)