Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OKLAHOMA > Oklahoma Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oklahoma Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Oklahoma.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:42 PM
His Wife, عاكِفة

Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,247 Posts

I still have not heard from the Chaplain yet regarding our marriage packet, and my attempts to contact him lately has been unsuccessful. So, I don't know if we will be approved in time for the Jan marriage. If we are not, then we want to do the proxy marriage (JUST IN CASE there is some small chance that he will be released before July...highly unlikely, but still, better safe than sorry). In order to do the proxy marriage, is the birth certificate or social security card of the inmate required?

"Time as a measurement of love is eternal.
It extends beyond the borders of forever into the depths of infinity.
I love you this and much more."
~~M'love

Finally, happily married to m'love: 1/25/13.

Jeg lærer dansk (for et år) og norsk (for ti uger).

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 PM

Social Security Card is not required, but the birth certificate is. Originally I was told it has to be one issued in the last 10 years, then I was told the time frame it was printed is not an issue.

I would have your fiance photo copy his ID and send it to you with his notarized absentee affidavit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs_CRH For This Useful Post:
HesMyForever (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 PM

Hello HesMyForever,

I just got married by proxy this past Friday and it was pretty simple. I went to Tarrant County Fort Worth TX and all I needed was the form that he filled out and got notarized it's called absentee affidavit, a certified copy of his birth certificate, $71 for the marriage license and about $80 for the justice of the peace, you will also need the person that will stand in for him to be present for the ceremony with a valid state ID, you will also need your valid state ID.

first you have to go to the recorders office and get the license, once you get it then there is a 72 hour waiting period but you can ask for a waiver form (it's free) and take it to the court and a judge will sign it (you will have to go to each judge and ask until you find one that will do it. It's not hard they will do it you just need to find a judge that has a clear calendar). Once you get that then you just find a justice of the peace to do the ceremony. It only takes 10 minutes or so then your married.

To find the justice of the peace you just call around and check prices. There is a list online. When you find one you like set an appointment. I set my appointment for 3pm initially about 3 weeks in advance just to make sure.

Also the absentee affidavit form and instructions for proxy marriage are online and can be printed so you can mail it to him so he can do his part and send it back to you.

Hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to tea12 For This Useful Post:
HesMyForever (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 PM
His Wife, عاكِفة

Thanks Tea and Mrs_CRH.

Ugh...that's a lot of money ($71 plus $80).... Idk how the Chaplain at NFCF figures it's cheaper to do the proxy marriage (that's what he tried to tell me before, back in Oct or Nov...I knew he was full of it).

I know either way I need his birth cert...but I'm having such a difficult time getting it. His mom does not have a copy of it, and m'love has no idea where it would be. Apparently, it seems, I can't order/request a copy myself. He has been trying to get in to see the notary so he can give me Power of Attorney so I could request his birth cert, but NFCF is lollygagging around and hasn't gotten him in to see the notary, even though he's asked a few times now. Any other suggestions, ladies?

~~M'love

Old 12-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Donation Award 

Thumbs up Birth Certificate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesMyForever View Post
Thanks Tea and Mrs_CRH.

Ugh...that's a lot of money ($71 plus $80).... Idk how the Chaplain at NFCF figures it's cheaper to do the proxy marriage (that's what he tried to tell me before, back in Oct or Nov...I knew he was full of it).

I know either way I need his birth cert...but I'm having such a difficult time getting it. His mom does not have a copy of it, and m'love has no idea where it would be. Apparently, it seems, I can't order/request a copy myself. He has been trying to get in to see the notary so he can give me Power of Attorney so I could request his birth cert, but NFCF is lollygagging around and hasn't gotten him in to see the notary, even though he's asked a few times now. Any other suggestions, ladies?
You do NOT need birth certificate in all Texas counties. That's why I chose Collins County. The marriage thread here should have all my Collins County info. If not, and if you want all my info and how it went for me, just PM me. Collins County was respectful, supportive and did not require birth certificate.

Marie

Love is patient, love is kind.....
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Free together again by 2020
The Following User Says Thank You to Biznessgal2 For This Useful Post:
HesMyForever (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 AM

Birth Certs are easy to get. His mother could get if for you. You just need to look around the counties of texas and check their requirements then pick the one that fits for you. Remember to consider the distance of the county because TX is huge and remember you will have to have the person standing in for him travel with you....PM me if you need more details or help.... All in all it's not a hard process u just gotta do some research.
HesMyForever (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 AM
His Wife, عاكِفة

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biznessgal2 View Post
You do NOT need birth certificate in all Texas counties. That's why I chose Collins County. The marriage thread here should have all my Collins County info. If not, and if you want all my info and how it went for me, just PM me. Collins County was respectful, supportive and did not require birth certificate.

Marie
That is good to know, thank you! I thought all counties would require it. Soooo...we know what part of my day will consist of today...checking counties in TX. lol

Tea....I've asked his mom NUMEROUS times to get a birth cert for m'love...she says she will, and I know she *means* it...but she is one of those people that, she gets busy with other stuff and forgets...you know, out of sight, out of mind type deals. So, I really don't think it will get done if we rely on her.

~~M'love

Old 12-05-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biznessgal2 View Post

Marie
Collins County is the place I called as well, they told me you need it.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Donation Award 

Thumbs up Collin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_CRH View Post
Collins County is the place I called as well, they told me you need it.
I remarried my husband by proxy in Collin County, McKinney Texas last year. A birth certificate was not required.

HesMyForever (12-06-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 06:40 PM
His Wife, عاكِفة

Okay ladies...I don't mind telling you, I really dislike the Chaplain. I called today to ask if there's any news on the marriage packet. He said "Your fiance was just in here not even 2 minutes ago asking the same thing," sidenote: I love that m'love was in there right before I called...like he could read my mind, lol; anyways...he said "I told him why don't y'all just do the proxy marriage and save us all a big headache?" Can we say LAZY?!?!?
Then, I told him "The problem is that the proxy marriage will cost me more because instead of driving only 6 hours to KS, I'd have to drive a lot farther to TX; AND the marriage license is $70 there, and the justice of the peace is another $80, and altogether that is more than what I would have to pay to get married at North Fork. I'm an unemployed full-time student; I am looking for a job, but right now I don't have one, I can't afford all that."

Then...he asked me if I was taking online classes?! Idk if he meant it as a put-down, but that is how it felt, like he didn't take me seriously. I told him no, I commute 30 min each direction, 3 times a week, for classes on campus at KU, to get my B.A. Smh.

~~M'love

Old 12-07-2012, 11:29 PM

Hey HesMyForever,

I'm sorry about the chaplains laziness. I wish there was a way to make him do his job. Did he ever give you an update after her tried to discourage you?
HesMyForever (12-08-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 12:02 AM
His Wife, عاكِفة

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea12 View Post
Hey HesMyForever,

I'm sorry about the chaplains laziness. I wish there was a way to make him do his job. Did he ever give you an update after her tried to discourage you?
Yeah, he said they still haven't heard anything. So, I'm calling Cali again on Monday. Smh.

~~M'love

Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 AM

Who do you call in Cali? If you did end up doing the proxy marriage when would you do it?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I've asked his mom NUMEROUS times to get a birth cert for m'love...she says she will, and I know she *means* it...but she is one of those people that, she gets busy with other stuff and forgets...you know, out of sight, out of mind type deals. So, I really don't think it will get done if we rely on her.

Can you ask her if you can do to for her? You type up the request (not sure how it works), send it to her to sign and include a stamped envelope and then all she has to do it mail it off? lol I haven't order a BC in about 1- years, so maybe it has changed now. lol

I hope you get all this figured out soon. It is so frustrating!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:23 PM
His Wife, عاكِفة

tea....I called COCF and they gave me the name and number for the guy that does that stuff (CC1 Harris). That's the guy I spoke to back in Nov and he said he would be processing my packet "first thing in the morning." So, I'm gonna give him a call again...and if no luck with him, I also have his supervisor's name and number, so I will call him.

DJz....I think the form has to be notarized...and, well, as much as his mom means well, she doesn't follow through often, so I am not so sure she would be reliable enough to go get the form notarized.

~~M'love

Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 PM

HesMyForever,

The form does have to be notarized but they do have a notary at NFCF so thats no problem so can he request it himself and have it mailed to you? (the birth certificate that is)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 AM
His Wife, عاكِفة

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea12 View Post
HesMyForever,

The form does have to be notarized but they do have a notary at NFCF so thats no problem so can he request it himself and have it mailed to you? (the birth certificate that is)
That's one of the problems we're having with NFCF....he's been requesting to speak to the notary for 2 months now almost, to see about giving me Power of Attorney, and he still hasn't gotten to see them. They just wanna sit on their rumps and not do their jobs.

~~M'love

Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Donation Award 

Hello again HMF,

Just an fyi what we did. It went very smoothly, absolutely no problem anywhere. I did a county by county search of Texas proxy marriages, there is a list here on PT if you search for it, if cannot find PM me. It lists contact info for all counties. I found out which ones did NOT require much documentation because I just did not want that hassle. I PM'd a few people about Collin County-McKinney and then I went to their website and downloaded their form, completed it, and sent it in to David. He signed the form and gave to his counselor at NFCF. The counselor dealt with the notary who notarized the form and a copy of David's ID from North Fork. I flew into Love Field and drove to McKinney, where I was treated with friendly respect even though I am an older white woman marrying a black inmate; they treated me wonderfully. Three days later I was remarried to my life partner and soul mate. Please just PM me if any of this is something you want to know more about. Best of luck and love, Marie

HesMyForever (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Donation Award 

Default POA forms

Quote:
That's one of the problems we're having with NFCF....he's been requesting to speak to the notary for 2 months now almost, to see about giving me Power of Attorney, and he still hasn't gotten to see them. They just wanna sit on their rumps and not do their jobs.
I researched thoroughly and then downloaded and completed the necessary POA forms. I completed all but his signature and date section, sent them into him, he completed and gave to his counselor who brought them back to him notarized in two days. Hope this helps HMF

HesMyForever (12-10-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 01:04 AM
His Wife, عاكِفة

So, I called Cali and spoke to CC1 Harris. He said that yes, he did do the paperwork for our packet and his supervisor has it. He said that his supervisor won't be in til Wed, but that he will talk to his supervisor then to find out what the status is on the paperwork. I explained to him that NFCF only does weddings in Jan and July, so that's why I keep bugging. He said he will call me back on Wed to let me know what he finds out. I also asked about filing a complaint against the Chaplain...he said I'd have to talk to CCA about that, but he said he's never heard of anyone making a complaint against a Chaplain before and asked why. I told him about how the Chaplain said about "why don't y'all just do the proxy and save us all the headache," and how I felt like he was talking down to me. He was like "Wow! I'm really surprised a Chaplain would say that; I completely understand why you want to file a complaint." So, anyways, hopefully on Wed...I will be able to update y'all some more.

~~M'love

The Following User Says Thank You to HesMyForever For This Useful Post:
Biznessgal2 (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 11:12 PM

I'm anxious to hear the update tomorrow. And as far as the chaplain goes you can use me too because he told me to just do a proxy wedding also.
HesMyForever (12-11-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 05:18 PM
His Wife, عاكِفة

I'm back ladies, with not-so-good news. CC1 Harris called me back today, he said his supervisor stated that m'love and I were not explicit enough in explaining what he was incarcerated for, so he denied it. CC1 Harris said he would put it in the mail today, sending it back to NFCF so that we can remedy that one issue; other than that the rest of the packet was good.

~~M'love

Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 PM
His Wife, عاكِفة

Question for those that have done the proxy....do you HAVE to get the proxy done by the Justice of the Peace? I'm wondering if an imam (Islamic clergy) would be able to do it for us....?

~~M'love

Old 12-13-2012, 02:44 AM

I was told Justice of the Peace but they were not specific by saying it had to be a justice of the peace so i'm not sure. But you can call the county that you are going to because they all seemed pretty knowledgeable about proxy marriages when I called. Sorry I couldn't help with that one.
HesMyForever (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Donation Award 

Unhappy

Quote:
Question for those that have done the proxy....do you HAVE to get the proxy done by the Justice of the Peace? I'm wondering if an imam (Islamic clergy) would be able to do it for us....?
Yes, it has to be a JOP because it is a simple legal ceremony. We intend to have our religious rites when he comes home. I am sorry for your long struggle with the chaplain and the CDCR beaurocrats HMF.

HesMyForever (12-13-2012)