Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > Death Row & Capital Punishment Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Death Row & Capital Punishment Discussions Discussions relating to inmates on Death Row / facing capital punishment in the United States and abroad that don't fit into any of the other forums

View Poll Results: death row relationships
the dp sentence shouldn't matter, they still deserve a real relationship 173 77.23%
they are lucky they can get anyone at all and can't demand loyalty 34 15.18%
other, please explain your view 17 7.59%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Marty's Wife

Thanked 9,535 Times in 3,740 Posts
Question What kind of relationship does he deserve?

the question is do you think that a man with a harsh sentence as in dp or lwop deserves to have a faithful, dedicated woman by his side? well as oppose to someone doing a short bid and he's getting out so he can start a dedicated relationship because he'll be home soon.

in talking to a couple of women they say not someone with such a harsh sentence. actually she said, he doesn't deserve 100% loyalty. the other woman said he is lucky to have anyone there for him at all.

so are these the men who get the woman who is married or living with someone else or dating, whatever her situation but not totally dedicated to him. could he ask for more? is it fair that he ask for that dedication and loyalty?

what is your take on this?

and on the woman's part of this, is it ok she protect herself from his harsh sentence by having someone else in her life? maybe some women lead double lives, I read this in another thread. what is your take on these women who seek out men who aren't ever coming home as their "secret" relationship, or side relationship?

I'm curious to know people's opinions after I spoke with these friends and read some threads on this forum. Many posts here and there mention the responsibility of the penpal and their lack of honesty, how these men get played also they aren't the only one's playing women, etc. Also the term groupie is thrown around and I'm not sure what that really means.

Last edited by esteli; 06-02-2009 at 02:09 AM.. Reason: articulation
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to esteli For This Useful Post:
MurdererMusings (07-24-2015), saracmc (06-12-2009), wickedmimi (06-03-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2009, 02:34 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,610 Times in 1,594 Posts

IMO it doesn't matter if it is LWOP or the DP. If a woman chooses to become involved they have a responsibility just the same as any other relationship. Yes, these men will never come home, and that should be a major consideration for woman choosing to become involved.

I am not involved in any romantic relationship with anyone in prison, but I do have quite a few PP. I am honest with them all about where our friendships cannot go. I have been proposed to a few times, and asked to be a PP "special woman". I have firmly but gently told my PP that it is not a place I am willing to go, but I will be a special friend. On PP I did get close to, but found that I just could not step over the line as he wished me to and be any more than friends. He now is a really fantastic friend, and although he is serving 108 years with 18 in, I talk with him often about dreams and hopes. My DR PP are special people, they have enough crap to deal with, without me building up hopes to later dash them.

I think if you feel you could go down the romance/relationship/marriage route, you must think it through long and hard. These men are NOT coming home (or very, very unlikely too) and your relationship is going to be based around letters and visits, maybe phone calls if your lucky. It is also worth baring in mind, these men will come to depend on your love and loyalty, and they can't be picked up and put down like toys at your convenience. I fully appreciate there will be times when a time out is needed, for all kinds of reasons. However it is a (in the main) lonely roller coaster ride. I have so much respect for wives/girlfriends of DR and LWOP inmates, and the struggles they face.

All I would say is, if you do choose to become involved in a DR LWOP relationship, before you fully commit, think about the pro's and cons and what your actions could and will mean to the inmate. These relationships can and do work, and can and are very fulfilling and special, but there is a great deal of pain and heartbreak involved also!

Is he entitled to ask for loyalty? Hell yes! If you tell him your going to be his girlfriend/wife, yes he should be able to ask for loyalty the same as a free world relationship. I believe that prospective wives know what they are getting into (or they should) so yes, why should an inmate not expect the same loyalty as any other man?

Prison groupie is a derogatory name, for woman involved with any DR inmate. It is assumed that should one inmate either die, be executed etc, they will just move onto the next. It is quite common to see any woman who is involved with DR inmates at any level called a DR groupie by the pro DP morons. They think if they slate us enough we will drop our friendships and see things from their "enlightened" perspective. If anyone wishes to call me a DR groupie, then let them, it shows more about their ignorance than anything else!

America - land of the free, home of the incarcerated.

The USA has 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the the worlds prisoners.

Last edited by JJS811; 06-02-2009 at 02:40 AM..
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to JJS811 For This Useful Post:
BamaKathy (10-24-2009), bunnybunny (01-02-2013), Charlie's Mom (12-17-2011), ciudadana06 (10-07-2011), Eclaboussure (06-02-2009), EddiesBaby (11-29-2009), goiane (06-07-2012), gypsysmagician (06-13-2009), JoLisaWalsh (06-02-2009), jwil130 (05-30-2012), KPair (12-03-2013), mammastalkin (06-12-2009), MariaFairmaiden (10-26-2015), matthewsgirl (01-14-2011), Minni (08-17-2011), mmalone517 (03-21-2014), Mrs.Haml1n (04-05-2013), MurdererMusings (07-24-2015), ohiolove (06-02-2009), outinaussie (06-27-2010), Peach&Cream (10-08-2009), RaeLR (08-19-2018), Raf's Girl (03-08-2015), saracmc (06-12-2009), Tivia (01-27-2012)
Old 06-02-2009, 05:14 AM

I think the terms of any relationship regardless of where it occurs must be a mutually agreed one. Many people have for example, non monogamous relationships which is fine as long as both parties know that is the terms of the relationship. If both parties agree to an exclusive relationship then thats the way it should be. What shouldn't happen in any relationship is if both parties agree to the terms but one person has no intention of keeping to it.

"You can take away our names and replace them with numbers, cage and store us in conditions not even fit for your family dog, and exterminate us at your whim, but we are still human beings, capable of everything from love and beauty to violence and hate." - TBW
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eclaboussure For This Useful Post:
ciudadana06 (11-10-2011), esteli (06-02-2009), leanna123 (01-08-2011), MurdererMusings (07-24-2015), ohiolove (06-02-2009)
Old 06-02-2009, 05:25 AM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteli View Post
the question is do you think that a man with a harsh sentence as in dp or lwop deserves to have a faithful, dedicated woman by his side? well as oppose to someone doing a short bid and he's getting out so he can start a dedicated relationship because he'll be home soon.

in talking to a couple of women they say not someone with such a harsh sentence. actually she said, he doesn't deserve 100% loyalty. the other woman said he is lucky to have anyone there for him at all.

so are these the men who get the woman who is married or living with someone else or dating, whatever her situation but not totally dedicated to him. could he ask for more? is it fair that he ask for that dedication and loyalty?

what is your take on this?

and on the woman's part of this, is it ok she protect herself from his harsh sentence by having someone else in her life? maybe some women lead double lives, I read this in another thread. what is your take on these women who seek out men who aren't ever coming home as their "secret" relationship, or side relationship?

I'm curious to know people's opinions after I spoke with these friends and read some threads on this forum. Many posts here and there mention the responsibility of the penpal and their lack of honesty, how these men get played also they aren't the only one's playing women, etc. Also the term groupie is thrown around and I'm not sure what that really means.
excellent thread,esteli. very well thought out. i know little about the dp not knowing or being involved with any dr inmates. to me though, if a woman pledges her fidelity,etc. to a dr inmate i think she should stand by her word. if she's unable to keep doing it(which is understandable) then i think she should be honest about everything. keeping a man on the side as a plaything to enjoy whenever the mood strikes i feel is very callous and unfair.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:32 AM
English Super Moderator

PTO Ambassador of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,565 Times in 6,759 Posts

I dont think any sentence matters every human being deserves the chance to love and be loved 100% in return

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to lisainengland For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (06-02-2009), bunnybunny (01-02-2013), ciudadana06 (10-07-2011), decoprincess (02-19-2010), elsapunzi (06-12-2009), esteli (06-02-2009), his babe forever (11-26-2011), JJS811 (06-02-2009), JoLisaWalsh (06-02-2009), Joy (06-02-2009), KPair (12-03-2013), littlehoov (06-02-2009), MariaFairmaiden (10-26-2015), ohiolove (06-02-2009), outinaussie (06-27-2010), Peach&Cream (10-08-2009), pheonyx05 (06-27-2010), saracmc (06-12-2009), Tivia (01-27-2012), UKGAL (06-02-2009), welshcake (06-02-2009), xxtyvmxx (06-21-2010)
Old 06-02-2009, 05:37 AM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisainengland View Post
I dont think any sentence matters every human being deserves the chance to love and be loved 100% in return
very brief post but 1,000 % true!!
Old 06-02-2009, 05:49 AM
Donation Award 

Sometimes what needs to be said, can be done in a sentence, where I tend to write a book...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsbeth View Post
very brief post but 1,000 % true!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JJS811 For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (06-02-2009), esteli (06-02-2009), JoLisaWalsh (06-02-2009)
Old 06-02-2009, 06:08 AM
Donation Award 

im my opinion, if you cant give somebdy 100%, dont get involved....its not a game, and everyone who begins relationships/friendship with dr and people with long terms to serve know more or less what the outcome will be, so if you aint prepared to give 100%, stay away.
ciudadana06 (10-07-2011), Davis's Girl (10-01-2010), esteli (06-02-2009), goiane (06-07-2012), JJS811 (06-02-2009), saracmc (06-12-2009), UKGAL (06-02-2009)
Old 06-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Marty's Wife

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS811 View Post
IMO it doesn't matter if it is LWOP or the DP. If a woman chooses to become involved they have a responsibility just the same as any other relationship. Yes, these men will never come home, and that should be a major consideration for woman choosing to become involved.

I am not involved in any romantic relationship with anyone in prison, but I do have quite a few PP. I am honest with them all about where our friendships cannot go. I have been proposed to a few times, and asked to be a PP "special woman". I have firmly but gently told my PP that it is not a place I am willing to go, but I will be a special friend. On PP I did get close to, but found that I just could not step over the line as he wished me to and be any more than friends. He now is a really fantastic friend, and although he is serving 108 years with 18 in, I talk with him often about dreams and hopes. My DR PP are special people, they have enough crap to deal with, without me building up hopes to later dash them.

I think if you feel you could go down the romance/relationship/marriage route, you must think it through long and hard. These men are NOT coming home (or very, very unlikely too) and your relationship is going to be based around letters and visits, maybe phone calls if your lucky. It is also worth baring in mind, these men will come to depend on your love and loyalty, and they can't be picked up and put down like toys at your convenience. I fully appreciate there will be times when a time out is needed, for all kinds of reasons. However it is a (in the main) lonely roller coaster ride. I have so much respect for wives/girlfriends of DR and LWOP inmates, and the struggles they face.

All I would say is, if you do choose to become involved in a DR LWOP relationship, before you fully commit, think about the pro's and cons and what your actions could and will mean to the inmate. These relationships can and do work, and can and are very fulfilling and special, but there is a great deal of pain and heartbreak involved also!

Is he entitled to ask for loyalty? Hell yes! If you tell him your going to be his girlfriend/wife, yes he should be able to ask for loyalty the same as a free world relationship. I believe that prospective wives know what they are getting into (or they should) so yes, why should an inmate not expect the same loyalty as any other man?

Prison groupie is a derogatory name, for woman involved with any DR inmate. It is assumed that should one inmate either die, be executed etc, they will just move onto the next. It is quite common to see any woman who is involved with DR inmates at any level called a DR groupie by the pro DP morons. They think if they slate us enough we will drop our friendships and see things from their "enlightened" perspective. If anyone wishes to call me a DR groupie, then let them, it shows more about their ignorance than anything else!
Thank you so much, you have answered a lot of questions here. Groupie is a term I read a lot about in the Lifer forum here on PTO. I have always been very thankful to women who do write both LWOP and death row. Otherwise who would these men have in their lives? But I was confused by reading that term coming from the "wives" who said their men had groupies write them, etc.

And from a PP prespective you are very firm that yes, they need 100% committment like anyone else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to esteli For This Useful Post:
lisainengland (06-12-2009), MichealsWife (05-23-2012), Mitch67 (06-27-2009)
Old 06-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Marty's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclaboussure View Post
I think the terms of any relationship regardless of where it occurs must be a mutually agreed one. Many people have for example, non monogamous relationships which is fine as long as both parties know that is the terms of the relationship. If both parties agree to an exclusive relationship then thats the way it should be. What shouldn't happen in any relationship is if both parties agree to the terms but one person has no intention of keeping to it.
honesty!!! and mutual agreement!!!

see that's why some women do feel they've been played when the guy on death row has a bunch of women he writes. even though his situation may be one where he doesn't want to end up alone if she should walk out, that doesn't excuse him from being a "player." and I've read in many, many posts that people feel well he is desesperate, let him have what he wants. poor guy he under penalty of death, so what if he has a couple of women at the same time. How many times have people told me this!!! But even being under such penalty does not excuse this behavior on either part.

honesty and mutual agreement otherwise someone will be hurt. thank you!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esteli For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (06-02-2009), outinaussie (06-27-2010)
Old 06-02-2009, 09:11 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,295 Times in 1,887 Posts

Good post, Esteli. Very interesting to see what everyone thinks about relationships. Of course everyone needs love and is entitled to go after it. No matter what kind of sentence they are under.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mammastalkin For This Useful Post:
esteli (06-02-2009), his babe forever (11-26-2011)
Old 06-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Donation Award 

If anyone is in a relationship with another, then yes I agree honesty and mutual respect should be the order of the day. Maybe because I will only ever be a PP, I do struggle with wives/girlfriends who would not want their man to write to me, or people like me (I am talking more lifers and DR inmates). I am no threat to their relationship what-so-ever. If a wife or girlfriend asked me to stop writing, I would, but that is out of respect for sisterhood. I would explain to the PP I simply could not come between him and his relationship. One of my PP (at least) is married, his wife knows he writes others, and as far as I know she is ok with that. All I ever try to do, is make a difference, by letting people know they are not alone and people care. I also feel that inmates mail is a real lifeline. One PP said to me once "you are my eyes and ears to the outside world". I take that responsibility very seriously. To have to rely on others to remind you what grass feels like, or the breeze or rain is something I simply can't imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteli View Post
honesty!!! and mutual agreement!!!

see that's why some women do feel they've been played when the guy on death row has a bunch of women he writes. even though his situation may be one where he doesn't want to end up alone if she should walk out, that doesn't excuse him from being a "player." and I've read in many, many posts that people feel well he is desesperate, let him have what he wants. poor guy he under penalty of death, so what if he has a couple of women at the same time. How many times have people told me this!!! But even being under such penalty does not excuse this behavior on either part.

honesty and mutual agreement otherwise someone will be hurt. thank you!!!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JJS811 For This Useful Post:
elsapunzi (06-12-2009), esteli (06-02-2009), mammastalkin (06-02-2009), MelissaM03 (11-10-2013), saracmc (06-24-2009)
Old 06-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Left my heart in Negril

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,233 Posts

Interesting and thought-provoking thread! I have thought about this a lot since joining this forum and against my best judgment, I think I'm going to jump in and share my thoughts. LOL First off, I would like to state that I am not necessarily PRO-DP...however I am Pro-LIFE, and due to that fact, I do not look fondly upon people who take it upon themselves to take one...but that is not the question...

Do men on DR deserve loyalty? To be brutally honest, I do not believe that one who has done what it takes to land them on DR deserve much more than the basic necessities required to live. (I am not talking about the wrongfully convicted) I believe in GOD, and therefore, if a woman is already married to a man, and he is put on death row, I believe it is right for that woman to honor her vows (For better or worse, til death do us part). I honestly, cannot wrap my mind around the concept of a woman seeking to get involved with a man that is already on DR...but if she does, she needs to be honest about her intentions and her loyalty (or lack thereof). I say that for the simple fact that lying is wrong in the eyes of God.

As for "DR Groupies"...I find this a little disturbing and a little bit comical at the same time, and this is why:

By definition, a groupie is a borderline-obssessive fan who follows a celebrity/musician usually seeking sexual intimacy. To place that term along side the term "Death Row" is a little bit ironic due to the sexual undertone of the word "groupie", and the sexless existence that is DR. To chronically involve yourself with DR inmates, must mean that there is something about where they are that fascinates you, that you admire...something about being on DR makes them desirable. This is what I have a hard time with...it's basically glorification. IMHO, there is nothing there to be glorified...it is a place where you will find men/women who commit the most heinous, violent crimes. Do I believe they deserve to die? That's not for me to decide...NO, that is for GOD to decide. But no, I do not believe they should have "groupies". I am not speaking for the friends(PP)/family who reach out to these men to be of spiritual/moral support or what have you...that is a different story altogether. I am speaking about females that are considered "DR Groupies". I believe to single out men on DR is to glorify the type of crimes they have committed...to me it seems wrong on several levels.

To the loyal wives of men on Death Row, God be with you through this painful journey. You are to be commended for your faith and your strength and I believe you have a place of peace and rest awaiting you in the next life. If I have offended anyone, it was not my intention...just my honest opinion.
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
- Marilyn Monroe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleWing13 For This Useful Post:
CC_007 (11-24-2009), esteli (06-02-2009)
Old 06-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Donation Award 

my pp has often said that he wiuld rather have friends who he loves and he knows care for and love him than any form of romance while he is on dr, because he wouldnt want to tie somebody down with never having a normal life with him, as well as the feelings and thoughts he would have, wondering what that person was doing in the "free world" while he was locked up waiting for death, with too much time on his hands to think and become jelous and; in his words "not a nice person to know"
esteli (06-02-2009)
Old 06-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing13 View Post
Interesting and thought-provoking thread! I have thought about this a lot since joining this forum and against my best judgment, I think I'm going to jump in and share my thoughts. LOL First off, I would like to state that I am not necessarily PRO-DP...however I am Pro-LIFE, and due to that fact, I do not look fondly upon people who take it upon themselves to take one...but that is not the question...

You say you are pro life, but claim you are not necessarily pro DP? If you are pro life you are 110% ANTI DP.

Do men on DR deserve loyalty? To be brutally honest, I do not believe that one who has done what it takes to land them on DR deserve much more than the basic necessities required to live. (I am not talking about the wrongfully convicted) I believe in GOD, and therefore, if a woman is already married to a man, and he is put on death row, I believe it is right for that woman to honor her vows (For better or worse, til death do us part). I honestly, cannot wrap my mind around the concept of a woman seeking to get involved with a man that is already on DR...but if she does, she needs to be honest about her intentions and her loyalty (or lack thereof). I say that for the simple fact that lying is wrong in the eyes of God.

When anyone is sentenced to death, THAT is the punishment. Making their lives a daily living hell, is not what the court decrees as their sentence!

As for "DR Groupies"...I find this a little disturbing and a little bit comical at the same time, and this is why:

By definition, a groupie is a borderline-obssessive fan who follows a celebrity/musician usually seeking sexual intimacy. To place that term along side the term "Death Row" is a little bit ironic due to the sexual undertone of the word "groupie", and the sexless existence that is DR. To chronically involve yourself with DR inmates, must mean that there is something about where they are that fascinates you, that you admire...something about being on DR makes them desirable. This is what I have a hard time with...it's basically glorification. IMHO, there is nothing there to be glorified...it is a place where you will find men/women who commit the most heinous, violent crimes. Do I believe they deserve to die? That's not for me to decide...NO, that is for GOD to decide. But no, I do not believe they should have "groupies". I am not speaking for the friends(PP)/family who reach out to these men to be of spiritual/moral support or what have you...that is a different story altogether. I am speaking about females that are considered "DR Groupies". I believe to single out men on DR is to glorify the type of crimes they have committed...to me it seems wrong on several levels.

DR 'groupies' do not have to particularly single out nor glorify men on DR. The term DR groupie is a derogatory name given to (usually) woman who support the men on DR. There was a particularly vicious attack on a female member of this forum, on another, shortly after her husband was executed. The people (said very loosely) from the other forum, were laughing suggesting it would not be very long before she hooked up with another DR inmate. They failed to see nor comprehend the level of grief this woman suffered when her husband was killed. Few woman and certainly none I have ever come across, choose to have relationships with DR men exclusively, these kind of relationships, just tend to happen after a period of correspondence.

To the loyal wives of men on Death Row, God be with you through this painful journey. You are to be commended for your faith and your strength and I believe you have a place of peace and rest awaiting you in the next life. If I have offended anyone, it was not my intention...just my honest opinion.
In my experience, a little thought for others feelings will generally result in no offence given! Just my honest opinion.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JJS811 For This Useful Post:
elsapunzi (06-04-2009), esteli (06-02-2009), gypsysmagician (06-13-2009), JoLisaWalsh (06-02-2009), Joy (06-02-2009), jwil130 (05-30-2012), lisainengland (06-12-2009), Lucy2050 (12-29-2012), Mayone (06-04-2009), Mitch67 (06-27-2009), myheartaches (11-29-2009), welshcake (06-02-2009)
Old 06-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Account Closed

I met and married my hubby while he was on DR, i have always been 100% devoted, faithful, loyal to him, he has every right to expect that from me too as im his wife,
like welshcake said if you cant be devoted stay away.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Marty's Wife

Quote:

Thanks for your thoughts. I understand you are defining "groupies" as if they are followers of the Grateful Dead or the Rolling Stones. NOT here, people call women who I guess are pen pals and maybe have romantic relationships here and there with different guys.

Everyone needs someone. Having a someone enter your life can do so many things to the soul. I believe these men are still alive and are entitled to continue to have some sort of life.

Someone said that being sentenced to death is the punishment for the crime. Isn't that enough????? Really! These are living breathing human beings! Don't they deserve to have conversations, and human emotions? Do you really believe you know what is behind the crime? Some of these men are wrought with guilt, there are migitating circumstances, and all sorts of others things that led to that particular crime. Can an individual be defined by this one act in their lives? Maybe they will never have their freedom, maybe they will die for their crime, but in the meantime, why can they have human exchange with another?

Also I want to add that the reason it's beneficial to have new people come into their lives after they are already convicted is because many of these men and women on death row lose contact with family and friends and are left very much alone.

Thank you for your honest opinion. It's thought provoking as well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to esteli For This Useful Post:
JoLisaWalsh (06-12-2009), LittleWing13 (10-08-2009), saracmc (06-24-2009), Sheryl P. (11-26-2011)
Old 06-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Old Timer

Thanked 1,174 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
This statement seems to be a little like an oxymoron... You do not look fondly upon people who take it upon themselves who take a life.... what do you think those that partake in an execution is doing? THEY are taking a life?

Just kinda confused by this statement is all.

As to the question of this thread..... The relationship really is no ones business to try to decide whether it is right or not.

Last edited by Joy; 06-02-2009 at 06:58 PM..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Joy For This Useful Post:
esteli (06-02-2009), gypsysmagician (06-13-2009), JJS811 (06-03-2009), JoLisaWalsh (06-12-2009), lisainengland (06-12-2009), MurdererMusings (07-24-2015), welshcake (06-03-2009)
Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Left my heart in Negril

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,233 Posts

Well, I knew when posting, that I would get these types of replies....HOWEVER, I don't think that my post was thoroughly understood. No worries.

First off...I NEVER said I was PRO-DP. It is honestly not something that I am okay with, and I think I made it pretty clear that I don't believe it is MAN's place to take life from another. ??? I don't know what is so hard about that or how that was just totally twisted around....but I somehow knew it would be. As for my PRO-Life statement, I personally focus my passion on the issue of abortion and the general lack of value for innocent life these days. Just like many of you feel very strongly about the DP...I feel very strongly about that. I tried to tie it in to explain the value I hold for "Life" in general. OBVIOUSLY, if I am pro-life, that makes me anti-DP...I believe that was the point I was trying to make. The statement, "I do not look fondly upon one who takes it upon themselves to take a life" applies to both the DR inmates AND the system who has sentenced them to death because both have done just that. Although I can see both sides to this incredibly complicated issue...I do NOT side with capital punishment. I repeat, I DO NOT SIDE WITH CAPITAL PUNISHMENT.

I think that my thoughts on the whole "DR Groupie" thing was also taken completely out of context. I was speaking about the irony of the label itself!!! JEEZ!

I do believe that there are girls who make a habit of reaching out to DR inmates for the wrong reasons...I've heard about it...and I was referring to the ones who that label actually "suits". Let's get real, cause we all know what I'm talking about. I very clearly stated that I was NOT referring to the people who write to these inmates to be of moral/spiritual support...I admire those who do that, because of course, there is always the hope and the chance that people can change and make right with God. I give mounds of respect to wives of DR inmates who stand by them...that takes a great deal of strength, faith, and courage.

To be honest, I DID put thought for others feelings into that post. I was very careful about how I worded it as to not be harsh or offensive to loved ones of inmates...I gave an honest answer to the question in the OP, did I not? I am not a cold person, and I feel so much sympathy for the loved ones of both the DR inmates and their victims. It is an utterly heart-breaking situation for everyone involved, and I pray that i never have to know what it feels like to be directly effected by it. Life truly isn't fair. I really wish that people would actually read and try to understand the whole post and think about it before jumping to the defense. We are all different and have different perspectives...you can't always be right and you can't always be wrong...and sometimes there's even a little gray in there...

Esteli...I think you got what I was trying to say, and you are the one who posted the question, so I guess that's really what matters. Thank you, because I rarely come across a thread that actually makes me think. This one has forced me to give thought to defining where I stand on an important issue (especially in TX)....If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything, right?

THE MAIN POINT OF MY POST: I BELIEVE IN HONESTY- no matter the nature of the relationship. <phew>
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
- Marilyn Monroe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleWing13 For This Useful Post:
esteli (06-07-2009)
Old 06-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Much loved and sorely missed PTO Hero!

Thanked 1,310 Times in 1,094 Posts

i agree with all JJ had to say, i think that each and everyone one of the guys deserve to have loyalty and love in their lives, it does not matter where they are, after all dont we excpect the same from our loved ones/friends
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to elsapunzi For This Useful Post:
esteli (06-07-2009), his babe forever (11-26-2011), JJS811 (06-04-2009), JoLisaWalsh (06-12-2009), mammastalkin (06-12-2009), SouthernGyrl (06-06-2009)
Old 06-11-2009, 10:30 PM

well i think it would be unwise to make a romantic relationship with a dr or lwp for the fact that it could never be more than a friendship with a horible ending. ofcourse there could be a romantic attraction there but the chances of the two being together are gone. we all only have one life to live and its a shame if its wasted on coulda woulda shoulda's. i dont understand woman that devote their lives to lifers with marriage being the acception but hey its just not my situation so i really cant even say what i would or wouldnt do because i've never been there..thank goodness.

i have looked through penpal sites and i wrote a few that were states away and had many more years to do. i wrote to a dr inmate..their crimes dont really matter to me but i am picky about the time and distance cause i dun really know them. and i am being very clear that im only offering friendship because im involved with sumone i luv very much and we have a baby...i dont think they get it tho..they want pictures and phone conversations...i dont think im comfortable with all that i just wanted to bring sum happyness to their day...hmm? is friendship not enough for them?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Donation Award 

Do they deserve a loyal and faithful relationship?????
Its my first view at this thread this morning and I havent read all posts yet but MY fiancé, who is on death row, is the man who deserves me and our very serious and faithful relationship the most because he is a very warm hearted and faithful, caring and loving human being.
Yes, somebody this can be on death row! Believe it or not!
Never in my whole life I have met somebody that special and I never had such a real and honest relationship. We meet each other as often as possible, we call every day and we write every day since two years.
That means we communicate every day for a minimum of one hour via telephone plus one hour letter writing every day = two hours FULL ONE TO ONE COMMUNICATION AND FULL CONCENTRATION on the other EVERY DAY!
Do you do that with the man you live together with?
Its more than I ever did with my ex husband and we had a pretty good relatonship and lived together for ten years.

Somebody who is not in my shoes doesnt know anything about this kind of relationship and should never judge it.
Of course he deserves me like I deserve him. Seems like we both did something right in life because our prayers were answered.

FOR MY FRIEND MARK
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. you are free now Honey

Last edited by sweetnina; 06-12-2009 at 12:17 AM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sweetnina For This Useful Post:
esteli (06-13-2009), gypsysmagician (06-13-2009), JJS811 (09-19-2009), lisainengland (06-12-2009), Melissa22 (06-12-2009), saracmc (06-24-2009)
Old 06-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Donation Award 

Jessica, of course you can have only friendship with a dr inmate, I also have a few penpals and I love them as friends and we write like friends and everybody knows about the other.
But my relationship is so much more than a friendship and yes, its possible.
And I dont devote my life to anyone! We are partners and we both get so much out of it. If there is devotion, then we both are devoted to each other but it costs us nothing! Its a gift!
I love him, I am proud of my relationship and whatever will happen to us, this love cant be taken away and will stay in our hearts and souls no matter what will happen to him or me.
Thats what love is about. I feel blessed.
Maybe people on the outside should start thinking about their own relationships and marriages and ask honestly if they still are like they were meant to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica7661 View Post
well i think it would be unwise to make a romantic relationship with a dr or lwp for the fact that it could never be more than a friendship with a horible ending. ofcourse there could be a romantic attraction there but the chances of the two being together are gone. we all only have one life to live and its a shame if its wasted on coulda woulda shoulda's. i dont understand woman that devote their lives to lifers with marriage being the acception but hey its just not my situation so i really cant even say what i would or wouldnt do because i've never been there..thank goodness.

i have looked through penpal sites and i wrote a few that were states away and had many more years to do. i wrote to a dr inmate..their crimes dont really matter to me but i am picky about the time and distance cause i dun really know them. and i am being very clear that im only offering friendship because im involved with sumone i luv very much and we have a baby...i dont think they get it tho..they want pictures and phone conversations...i dont think im comfortable with all that i just wanted to bring sum happyness to their day...hmm? is friendship not enough for them?

FOR MY FRIEND MARK
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. you are free now Honey

Last edited by sweetnina; 06-12-2009 at 12:23 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetnina For This Useful Post:
elsapunzi (06-12-2009), esteli (06-22-2009), Patience_8 (05-03-2014)
Old 06-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Donation Award 

I am with you here Nina. I have seen some beautiful relationships formed and surviving on DR. Just because one partner is on DR does not minimise the love. I admire people who have relationships and marriages to DR inmates, it is a tough road, but the love I have read and heard about is heartwarming to say the least.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JJS811 For This Useful Post:
elsapunzi (06-12-2009), esteli (06-22-2009), JoLisaWalsh (06-12-2009), mammastalkin (06-12-2009), saracmc (06-24-2009)
Old 06-12-2009, 07:14 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,295 Times in 1,887 Posts

All these opinions by people with no ties to a DR person!! I have two friends on DR and they are friends only. Of course they like photos, cartoons, sports articles. I send them nature photos that I have taken just to help brighten their day. As for a love interest, I can't judge that as I have never had that experience. I see that my friends are happy and that is all that matters. As for a tragic ending, isn't that possible for anyone?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mammastalkin For This Useful Post:
EddiesBaby (11-29-2009), elsapunzi (06-12-2009), esteli (06-22-2009), gypsysmagician (06-13-2009), JJS811 (06-12-2009), julesbabes2013 (08-23-2012)