Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:18 PM

I sent in a parole packet approx 3 months prior to his PED, was 12/24/15. The packet itself included a cover sheet, his letter, my letter, his moms letter followed by a sheet with detailed activity of all the programs, AA meetings, etc he completed/attended while he was out on bond and before incarceration. Course completions on inpatient/outpatient letterhead. Also included was a spreadsheet detailing the visits he received each weekend and who visited (relation, no names). I use the Cozi app and set up a group account where everyone enters the day and time they visit, keeps it easy to track. And lastly the packet included nice color photos printed on regular paper. Additional letters came from his AA sponsor, AA members, family members-children, grandchildren, siblings, etc. approx a total of 12 letters including the ones in the packet.
He was approved for release last week with completion of program. This week he has been moved a few times, however he is now at ETTF to begin his road to freedom! He has so many praying for him. He is in for revocation of probation for multiple DWIs. This was his first (and last) time to be incarcerated.
Will hopefully see him tomorrow...long drive.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye Felicia View Post
I sent in a parole packet approx 3 months prior to his PED, was 12/24/15. The packet itself included a cover sheet, his letter, my letter, his moms letter followed by a sheet with detailed activity of all the programs, AA meetings, etc he completed/attended while he was out on bond and before incarceration. Course completions on inpatient/outpatient letterhead. Also included was a spreadsheet detailing the visits he received each weekend and who visited (relation, no names). I use the Cozi app and set up a group account where everyone enters the day and time they visit, keeps it easy to track. And lastly the packet included nice color photos printed on regular paper. Additional letters came from his AA sponsor, AA members, family members-children, grandchildren, siblings, etc. approx a total of 12 letters including the ones in the packet.
He was approved for release last week with completion of program. This week he has been moved a few times, however he is now at ETTF to begin his road to freedom! He has so many praying for him. He is in for revocation of probation for multiple DWIs. This was his first (and last) time to be incarcerated.
Will hopefully see him tomorrow...long drive.

How long was his sentence? And how long was he in tdcj?

So happy for yall, by the way. How awesome he will be home soon! Congrats!
Old 01-09-2016, 10:09 PM

Sentence was 7 years. Incarcerated in March 2015.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:26 PM

Default Probation revocation

Hopefully someone can enlighten me. When it comes to probation revocation does the parole board only see that or do they see exactly why probation was revoked. Like for absconding? I'm assuming they see everything but just wanted to be sure. We are preparing a parole packet and need to know what issues to highlight on. Or not highlight on. The original charge is from 10 years ago. I know they'll see that charge and revocation. But will they see that he did over 7 1/2 years of his 8 years of probation? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:48 PM

Thanked 10,967 Times in 5,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccandtyte View Post
Hopefully someone can enlighten me. When it comes to probation revocation does the parole board only see that or do they see exactly why probation was revoked. Like for absconding? I'm assuming they see everything but just wanted to be sure. We are preparing a parole packet and need to know what issues to highlight on. Or not highlight on. The original charge is from 10 years ago. I know they'll see that charge and revocation. But will they see that he did over 7 1/2 years of his 8 years of probation? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Given that the Sentence and Judgment on a probation revocation includes which allegations were the basis for the Motion to Revoke (or alternately, a Motion to Adjudicate for cases with a deferred), you can safely presume that the Board knows what led to the incarceration. Further, the Motion to Revoke is included in the documents that are sent by the County to TDCJ.

How much of the Motion is referenced by the IPO varies from office to office. However, the information is absolutely there for the Board to review...

Also reflected in those materials will be whether it was an original Motion to Revoke or whether it was the 1st, 2nd, 3rd Amended Motion (or more depending on the case...the most I ever saw was the State's 8th Amended Motion to Revoke). The S&J will also contain information associated with the date of the original sentencing/placement on supervision.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (03-17-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Given that the Sentence and Judgment on a probation revocation includes which allegations were the basis for the Motion to Revoke (or alternately, a Motion to Adjudicate for cases with a deferred), you can safely presume that the Board knows what led to the incarceration. Further, the Motion to Revoke is included in the documents that are sent by the County to TDCJ.

How much of the Motion is referenced by the IPO varies from office to office. However, the information is absolutely there for the Board to review...

Also reflected in those materials will be whether it was an original Motion to Revoke or whether it was the 1st, 2nd, 3rd Amended Motion (or more depending on the case...the most I ever saw was the State's 8th Amended Motion to Revoke). The S&J will also contain information associated with the date of the original sentencing/placement on supervision.
Thank you for your input! One more question for you CenTexLyn... So he signed today for 4 years. 8 months back time. Waiting to be transfered to TDC. When should we send his parole packet?
Old 01-13-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccandtyte View Post
Thank you for your input! One more question for you CenTexLyn... So he signed today for 4 years. 8 months back time. Waiting to be transfered to TDC. When should we send his parole packet?
Unless he is interviewed for Parole in Absentia while he is in County, I would recommend waiting until he gets to TDCJ. Right now, your only option would be to send it to Austin and use his DPS SID number...but since he just signed today, they won't even know he exists on the new sentence.

Nobody is going to look at the materials until he is in the review process and that CANNOT happen until State Ready knows he even exists...and that will be somewhere around this time next month.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:38 AM

Hi there - I've never posted but I've read tons and I'm so grateful for whatever everyone shares. My sweetie was just approved for release earlier this week and is leaving this Wednesday. He has to travel well out of Texas, so I'm worried about him getting home. I put money in his trust fund, but where can he cash that check? It sounds like the Greyhound station in Huntsville will cash their $50, but he'll need much more. Also, does anyone know if they sell prepaid cell phones or anything there?
Old 08-10-2016, 02:36 PM

Lo took at 3 year Robbery Deal 4/7/16 (44 days credit)
PED was 6/25/16
Saw the IPO 7/27/16
Granted Parole with program on 8/8/16.

He was under the Angleton Board, first time offender , no priors.
I sent in a support letter and he also sent in one. I attempted to request a phone interview but was told it was too late.
I did contact a few parole attorney but neither would take based on the time to prepare and also based on the time he served they stated he wouldn't make this one and if we wanted to move forward we could revisit at his next review.

He Made it. :-)
Old 08-28-2016, 03:32 PM

My son is at Segovia Unit on a 9 year charge. He has served 3 years and 7 months already. In February he was given a serve all and up for another review in September 2016 but he just go a no vote August 17th. This is his 4th parole denial. He wants me to ask about a special review. Does anyone know what the qualifications are and how to go about requesting a SR. I also would like to know how to find out what has been discussed by board to cause another no vote.

Last edited by marcella711; 08-28-2016 at 03:35 PM..
Old 08-28-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcella711 View Post
My son is at Segovia Unit on a 9 year charge. He has served 3 years and 7 months already. In February he was given a serve all and up for another review in September 2016 but he just go a no vote August 17th. This is his 4th parole denial. He wants me to ask about a special review. Does anyone know what the qualifications are and how to go about requesting a SR. I also would like to know how to find out what has been discussed by board to cause another no vote.
Special Review essentially requires new information that was not previously available to the Board and is basically defined as a letter from a trial official or a victim specifically requesting that the Board reconsider the previous decision.

The denial codes used in the decision tell you exactly what the issues are if you know what you are looking at. This was discussed in one of your threads a month or so ago...
Old 09-01-2016, 06:40 PM

I have a question. I hope this is the right place for it.my lo PED was 2-22-17 on Aug10 it changed to 1-28-17. A week or so later inmate search said we are now in the Parole review process. I am not complaining. Just curious as to why the change is that a good sign. He was an L1 does that mean his classification changed also thank you for any guidance very much appreciated have a blessed day
Old 09-01-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjo View Post
I have a question. I hope this is the right place for it.my lo PED was 2-22-17 on Aug10 it changed to 1-28-17. A week or so later inmate search said we are now in the Parole review process. I am not complaining. Just curious as to why the change is that a good sign. He was an L1 does that mean his classification changed also thank you for any guidance very much appreciated have a blessed day
If he has been in TDCJ custody (not overall custody) for six months, then that would appear to be the usual promotional bump to SAT status.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Missstark (01-14-2017), sarahjo (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:37 PM

Thank you for your reply Centexlyn So if I understand correctly That is a good thing? I have never had any dealings with any kind of criminal justice system so please forgive me for being very naive. I just really miss my husband and very much ready for him to come home once again thanks God bless you!
Old 09-01-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjo View Post
Thank you for your reply Centexlyn So if I understand correctly That is a good thing? I have never had any dealings with any kind of criminal justice system so please forgive me for being very naive. I just really miss my husband and very much ready for him to come home once again thanks God bless you!
It certainly isn't a BAD thing

Since the move wasn't that drastic, the entry into review was more or less coincidental on the timing...it was due to go this month.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:50 PM

Great news for us IMO. Now of TDCJ would move him back a little closer I would be so grateful. What level SAT would that be I get all the classifications confused. Thank you for your time. Bless you
Old 09-03-2016, 09:29 PM
jetman777

Default the parole process has started

Hello everyone. My loved one received a 2 year probation revocation sentence. She was convicted on a DWI (misdemeanor) and convicted on a felony ACCIDENT CAUSING INJURY. She received 2 years Probation on the DWI and 5 years on the felony Accident Causing Injury. They both ran concurrent. She successfully completed her 2 year probation DWI But she had got to many violations on the 5 year probation with just 2 more years to go. She was sentenced and sat 2 months in county now she is at the Plane State Jail Dayton, Tx. This morning I checked the TDCJ website and discovered she is in the Parole "review process " starting now. With a PRD 2/17 yes they are right about 6 months prior to the PRD. I mailed my letter of support today to 3 different address 1) to Austin 2) to my loved one at Plain state to give to the IPO at her interview 3) to the IPO at the Plain State Jail. One or all should get put in her file that will be sent to the voting board from the IPO. the voting board will vote when it gets closer to her PRD. I know she has a slim to nothing chance on getting parole because if she cant do probation she cant do Parole. She successfully finished her 2 year DWI probation that's a positive and falling the 5 year probation well not good,. She is one for one. My support letter explained what is different now and I have a plan to prevent her from failing. So I will keep you all informed over the next few weeks and months with the latest on her case. love you all.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:23 PM

12 Years - Non-Aggravated Robbery
Eligible 2012
Approved Sept 2017
Max June 2023
3 year set off, Two 1-Year Set Offs
Approved 9/22/17 - FI-6R
Start Dec 2017 / Release no earlier than June 2018

Still waiting to see where he goes. Will update as I find out information.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:17 AM

Hello, My son has been in prison since Jan. 2009. He became eligible for parole in 2011. He has seen the parole board every year since 2011. They keep denying him every year. He is in for non-aggravated robbery (bank robbery). He received 20 years sentence. He has been a model inmate, not getting into any trouble, taking every course he can take, working, staying out of trouble. Even almost finished his college degree with honors. He robbed two banks but received two 20 yr sentences to be serve as one 20 yr sentence. They pretty much give him the same reason every time for denial. The nature of the crime and was drinking excessively when it happen. He cannot change either one of these reasons. He has finished the AA class and hasn't had a drink in 9 years being in prison. Why do you think they keep denying his parole? How long do you think he will have to serve in prison? Should we hire an attorney? Wondering what more they could want from him. He has been in a trusty camp for several years now also.

Last edited by sue55; 11-22-2017 at 11:21 AM..
Old 11-23-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue55 View Post
Hello, My son has been in prison since Jan. 2009. He became eligible for parole in 2011. He has seen the parole board every year since 2011. They keep denying him every year. He is in for non-aggravated robbery (bank robbery). He received 20 years sentence. He has been a model inmate, not getting into any trouble, taking every course he can take, working, staying out of trouble. Even almost finished his college degree with honors. He robbed two banks but received two 20 yr sentences to be serve as one 20 yr sentence. They pretty much give him the same reason every time for denial. The nature of the crime and was drinking excessively when it happen. He cannot change either one of these reasons. He has finished the AA class and hasn't had a drink in 9 years being in prison. Why do you think they keep denying his parole? How long do you think he will have to serve in prison? Should we hire an attorney? Wondering what more they could want from him. He has been in a trusty camp for several years now also.
Without seeing the file, there are two distinct possibilities that come immediately to mind: 1) you have victims who are protesting after being placed in fear for their life during the robbery and/or 2) these were NOT the only two offenses in the criminal history.

Excess alcohol consumption is something that often returns once alcohol becomes readily available. That he has not, to YOUR knowledge, consumed alcohol in prison does not mean he has not had anything to drink.

The decision to hire counsel is yours and yours alone. I have discussed on more than one occasion here on PTO what people should be looking for in their decisions to engage competent counsel.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:07 PM

My husband was interview this past Monday. The IPO was very nice and helpful. Told my husband that his file looked very good. Lots of completed courses(including GRAD), no cases for over a year, support letters from family members(one who was the actual victim-his mother - Burglary), even an employment letter from someone willing to put him to work as soon as he is paroled. My husband said that as soon as the interview was over, they sent him to reentry services to see about getting him his social security card and his Texas ID.

Now is it just me, or does it sound like he may be coming home soon? He's done 6yrs on a non agg 13yr burglary sentence.

If your heart is happy then it must hear me from these many miles away. "~JDS~(My Husband)
Old 12-10-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trampstrouble View Post
My husband was interview this past Monday. The IPO was very nice and helpful. Told my husband that his file looked very good. Lots of completed courses(including GRAD), no cases for over a year, support letters from family members(one who was the actual victim-his mother - Burglary), even an employment letter from someone willing to put him to work as soon as he is paroled. My husband said that as soon as the interview was over, they sent him to reentry services to see about getting him his social security card and his Texas ID.

Now is it just me, or does it sound like he may be coming home soon? He's done 6yrs on a non agg 13yr burglary sentence.

Do not make the mistake of confusing re-entry with an approval. The processes run parallel to each other, but the reality is that they try to track people to re-entry if they are in the review process and have not previously been through re-entry. Also place no faith in comments from an IPO. Too many of them are holdovers from when that process was under the Parole Division and NOT the Board and they have ZERO clue about the decisioning process...

With six years in, no cases in the past year is not a stellar record of institutional adjustment. If there is a denial, expect it to include either 4D or 11D (Other- Institutional Adjustment). The biggest plus he has going for him is the completion of GRAD since that does typically equate to an approval at the first review post-completion.

Be advised that persons released from TDCJ as a graduate of GRAD who return to gang life can expect to do a VERY substantial portion of their next sentence.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:02 PM

My husband will also return to a life of being single if he returns to the gang life as well. I am not going to live a life like that.

If your heart is happy then it must hear me from these many miles away. "~JDS~(My Husband)
The Following User Says Thank You to Trampstrouble For This Useful Post:
CenTexLyn (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trampstrouble View Post
My husband will also return to a life of being single if he returns to the gang life as well. I am not going to live a life like that.
Digressing from the original topic, but I applaud you for that stance.

I see far too many people that allow the imprisoned spouse/partner/friend to be an anchor that costs them far too much.

I was watching videos today across a span of about six years and covering roughly 20 different arrests. Each one included a vehicle in the name of the wife or where the wife was IN the vehicle and where drugs were found. That means the vehicle was placed at risk of forfeiture in each of those cases. I can see putting up with it once. After that, time to cut bait...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Holly8312 (12-11-2017)