Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison > The Parents Forum Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2015, 07:59 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

Thanked 22,961 Times in 6,338 Posts
Wink The thankful thread

Thanksgiving is just around the corner again. I was thinking of the suggestions here in past thanksgivings that some of us did for our kids in prison.

I do recall tracing my hand into a turkey shape on my son's letter. I also recall writing to my son and telling him about the day he was born. I told him how thankful I am for his sense of humor, his cooking abilities, his generosity and his loyalty to family.

It's funny but I thought when he got out, we would have him at the table for thanksgiving. Turns out that he has never eaten thanksgiving dinner here since his release! By the time of his first thanksgiving as a free man, he had met his future wife. Her family celebrates Christmas on thanksgiving every year because her grandparents fly south for the winter. So they can't miss that.

I truly don't mind. I have them here a lot. But it's funny what you imagine life will be like when they get out.

Be sure to tell your kids how thankful you are that they came into this world. Be sure also to do something good for someone else. Put some clothes in the goodwill box, do a random act of kindness, smile at someone. Send your child one of those funny turkey cards. Thankfulness is infectious. It's not just about a meal on a certain day. It can be a way of life that blesses the giver as much as the receiver.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
2muchmisery4me (11-07-2015), 4orSmilez (11-06-2015), fbopnomore (11-06-2015), klw9653 (11-07-2015), Lordbew/us (11-06-2015), momofns (11-17-2015), sass4221 (11-06-2015), SwiftGrace (11-06-2015), tglsmom (11-06-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2015, 03:18 PM

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,240 Posts

jancy - I love the way you remind us, every year, of the important things to focus on as the holidays approach. Thank you!

A few years ago, my husband and I took your advice and each wrote a letter of thanks to our son. My husband wrote about all the things he was thankful for, but I made mine all about our son. This is the letter:

WHY I AM THANKFUL FOR YOU THIS THANKSGIVING
By MOM

I am thankful for your smile
I am thankful for your laughter
I am thankful for your hugs
I am thankful for your big, warm hands
I am thankful for your love of animals
I am thankful for your love of family
I am thankful for your respect
I am thankful for your sensitivity
I am thankful for your kindness
I am thankful for your courage
I am thankful for your sobriety
I am thankful that we are able to communicate
I am thankful for your love
And, most of all,
I am thankful that God put you into my life

Anyone could do something like this with thoughts that apply to their son or daughter. Our son loved receiving such personal letters from us.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tglsmom For This Useful Post:
2muchmisery4me (11-07-2015), 4orSmilez (11-07-2015), fbopnomore (11-07-2015), jancy (11-07-2015), klw9653 (11-07-2015), lizlizzie2 (12-21-2016), Lordbew/us (11-06-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 08:22 AM

So very important to remember that even though our kids (in my case, my son) is in prison, they are still people and very much loved.

Thanks.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
2muchmisery4me (11-07-2015), 4orSmilez (11-07-2015), fbopnomore (11-07-2015), jancy (11-07-2015), momofns (11-17-2015), tglsmom (11-08-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglsmom View Post
jancy - I love the way you remind us, every year, of the important things to focus on as the holidays approach. Thank you!

A few years ago, my husband and I took your advice and each wrote a letter of thanks to our son. My husband wrote about all the things he was thankful for, but I made mine all about our son. This is the letter:

WHY I AM THANKFUL FOR YOU THIS THANKSGIVING
By MOM

I am thankful for your smile
I am thankful for your laughter
I am thankful for your hugs
I am thankful for your big, warm hands
I am thankful for your love of animals
I am thankful for your love of family
I am thankful for your respect
I am thankful for your sensitivity
I am thankful for your kindness
I am thankful for your courage
I am thankful for your sobriety
I am thankful that we are able to communicate
I am thankful for your love
And, most of all,
I am thankful that God put you into my life

Anyone could do something like this with thoughts that apply to their son or daughter. Our son loved receiving such personal letters from us.
That is totally awesome! There is much to thank others for. The kids need it most especially at this time of year! I love the last sentence that you are most thankful that God put your son into your life!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
4orSmilez (11-07-2015), momofns (11-17-2015), tglsmom (11-08-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 06:19 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

You know that the "Christmas " season movies are on tv earlier and earlier every year. Many of those are about holiday dinner disasters, gramma drunk at the table, someone brings home an unexpected partner, etc. I have always thought those movies to be tamer than many of the holidays experienced in my own house.

I'm thankful to still be alive and reasonably sane.

The Following User Says Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
tglsmom (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jancy View Post
I'm thankful to still be alive and reasonably sane.
Me too!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to tglsmom For This Useful Post:
jancy (11-21-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 05:50 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

Good morning everyone! You and your children are in my morning prayers! May you all be richly blessed with an abundance of the peace that surpasses all human understanding. May all those incarcerated experience a truly holy holiday.
Happy thanksgiving!

tglsmom (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Good morning everyone! You and your children are in my morning prayers! May you all be richly blessed with an abundance of the peace that surpasses all human understanding. May all those incarcerated experience a truly holy holiday.
Happy thanksgiving!
jancy - Looks like it was pretty quiet on here yesterday, but how nice of you to post such a wonderful message. I hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving as well. And, as always, thank you for the prayers and the continued interest and compassion that you've shown all of us on this forum through the years. I (and my husband who thinks you are very wise!) appreciate you!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tglsmom For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-29-2015), jancy (11-26-2016)
Old 11-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

Thank you. I owe my strength in a great way to the folks of PTO. Without their support and humor, and the grace of God, I would have had a much harder journey through my son's incarceration.

fbopnomore (11-29-2015)
Old 11-24-2016, 06:24 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I recall how sad those holidays can be. I want you to know that you are not forgotten. You and your children matter. You're in my thoughts and morning prayers. Please think of at least one thankful thing. It will bless your own soul.
I am thankful for the blessings of watching all the support you all display to one another.

Some funny but true butterball turkey hotline tales:

A disappointed woman called wondering why her turkey had no breast meat. After a conversation with a Talk-Line operator, it became apparent that the woman’s turkey was lying on the table upside down.

One guy cut his turkey in half with a chain saw and called to see if the chain saw oil would hurt the turkey.

Another had put the turkey outside in the snow and it unexpectedly snowed several feet, and they couldn't find their turkey.

A man called saying he left the turkey in the car all night, don't tell his wife. When they learned he lived in Florida, they told him to toss the turkey.

Find a reason to smile. Hugs!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
GaReform (11-24-2016), tatonkawia (11-24-2016), tglsmom (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 09:44 AM

Happy Thanksgiving - our son has 4+ years left but his mind is in a better place now. He keeps saying "I'm one and done Ma" and we truly hope this is the case.

Peace and joy to all of you with kids in prison! Its not an easy road...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-24-2016), GaReform (11-24-2016), jancy (11-26-2016), tatonkawia (11-24-2016), tglsmom (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I recall how sad those holidays can be. I want you to know that you are not forgotten. You and your children matter. You're in my thoughts and morning prayers. Please think of at least one thankful thing. It will bless your own soul.
I am thankful for the blessings of watching all the support you all display to one another.

Some funny but true butterball turkey hotline tales:

A disappointed woman called wondering why her turkey had no breast meat. After a conversation with a Talk-Line operator, it became apparent that the woman’s turkey was lying on the table upside down.

One guy cut his turkey in half with a chain saw and called to see if the chain saw oil would hurt the turkey.

Another had put the turkey outside in the snow and it unexpectedly snowed several feet, and they couldn't find their turkey.

A man called saying he left the turkey in the car all night, don't tell his wife. When they learned he lived in Florida, they told him to toss the turkey.

Find a reason to smile. Hugs!
I'm not on here much anymore, but I saw your Thanksgiving message this morning, jancy, and I want to wish you and everyone else a very Happy Thanksgiving. As you regularly remind us, there is always a reason to be thankful and it always helps put things into perspective for me. I know it does for others as well. Hope you have a wonderful day!
The Following User Says Thank You to tglsmom For This Useful Post:
jancy (11-26-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 12:42 PM

Default Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

Hello to everyone who is checking in, and a Happy Thanksgiving to you all -

For some reason this year I'm having a harder time smiling, but I am still going out to a friend's for dinner. I'm waiting for the sweet potato casserole to get done, and watching the birds at the bird feeder.

I hope that my boy will call this afternoon so everyone can say hello. I said a prayer this morning that he will have peace today and hopefully they will have some sort of special meal at the prison today for him.

I am going to visit next weekend, so I have that to look forward to. I did write to my son to say that I have had many wonderful Thanksgivings over the years, but none will compare to the ones I will have with him when this is over.

I am praying for all the parents and their children today, that we all can find something that we are grateful for, that have made us the people we are today, and that we can bless someone else who is in need of support today.

I'm thankful for all of you,

Tatonkawia
fbopnomore (11-24-2016), GaReform (11-24-2016), jancy (11-26-2016), trauma4us (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 06:02 PM

Thanked 1,483 Times in 595 Posts

Happy Thanksgiving to all & their loved ones wherever they may be. I am thankful for 1 day closer to my son coming home, being able to share my thoughts & fears here & for all the many people working to make changes to the system we are dealing with. May next Thanksgiving find us hopeful & blessed as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
jancy (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 05:38 PM

Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,291 Posts

I hope everyone here had a good Thanksgiving and that everyone found something they could be thankful for. Son and I had a nice, quiet day with just the two of us. My son has definitely been blessed this year and is now finally off probation!
The Following User Says Thank You to klw9653 For This Useful Post:
jancy (11-29-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 09:28 AM

Early Thanksgiving morning I drove forty minutes to visit a friend's son; his mom lives six states away, and her husband won't let her come down to see him. After arriving, I found out from the others in line that it was the wrong time (visits are alphabetical, and they had changed the printed schedule without telling him). But I know such is prison.

So although I felt bad that my young friend missed a visit, there are many things to be thankful for. And I did get to see him two days later, a full visit.

He is actually doing quite well, aside from some anxiety.
He is close enough for every-other-weekend visits.
Officers and staff speak well of him.
Calls are relatively quite cheap.
He appreciates having a surrogate mom nearby.
He knows that God has better things in store for him!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to communicator For This Useful Post:
GaReform (11-30-2016), jancy (11-30-2016), lizlizzie2 (12-21-2016), trauma4us (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 11:16 AM

Thanked 1,483 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicator View Post
Early Thanksgiving morning I drove forty minutes to visit a friend's son; his mom lives six states away, and her husband won't let her come down to see him. After arriving, I found out from the others in line that it was the wrong time (visits are alphabetical, and they had changed the printed schedule without telling him). But I know such is prison.

So although I felt bad that my young friend missed a visit, there are many things to be thankful for. And I did get to see him two days later, a full visit.

He is actually doing quite well, aside from some anxiety.
He is close enough for every-other-weekend visits.
Officers and staff speak well of him.
Calls are relatively quite cheap.
He appreciates having a surrogate mom nearby.
He knows that God has better things in store for him!
You are a blessing just for being supportive. I wish my son had someone besides us to encourage him & let him know he's still valued as a person. His friends from church have disappeared since he was moved further away. They don't even write an encouraging note. It is so important for those inside to keep in contact with the rest of the world & being able to talk & see someone from outside is the best.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (11-30-2016), jancy (11-30-2016), trauma4us (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 02:38 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

What inspiring stories! Always glad when someone is finally off parole or probation. Relief!
As for the woman whose husband will not let her visit, good for her for finding someone to go in her place. What an angel you are! I have a lot of siblings but only ONE visited my son in prison. I was so grateful for that. Now that my son is out, he still calls that uncle often.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
klw9653 (11-30-2016), trauma4us (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 04:05 PM

Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,291 Posts

I also have plenty of siblings. One came with me a few times to visit and one sent him a card and put some money once in his commissary.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klw9653 For This Useful Post:
jancy (11-30-2016), trauma4us (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 07:39 PM

We have a small family: just our two sons, my husband and I and we each have a couple siblings - all have visited at least once (they all live far away) and our son is very lucky everyone has kept in touch.

He considers himself fortunate.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:48 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

My family was sick of my son being in trouble. They had given up on him. When my youngest brother went to visit my son, he walked in with a group of suspicious looking people. He was pulled aside with them and searched more fully than just the metal detector. He was questioned and detained for a while. I didn't even know he was there. He finally was allowed in and tells that story a lot. Lol

No other family members sent money for him. No one accepted his calls. If their kids ever are in, I will not do as they did.

lizlizzie2 (12-21-2016)