Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Cooking & Recipes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2018, 07:38 AM

Thanked 5,951 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Thinking of trying to grow some winter crops. Ive never done it before, but I may this yr.
I did figure out to put some basil leaves in a jar of water.....and leave it. After a few weeks they grow roots!
Im thinking its pretty late to try to grow them outside but maybe I'll try an indoor pot and see how it does.
I have it growing in my kitchen by the sink I leave light over sink on all the time its flouresent Spelled wrong!!! But I do this with all kind of herbs!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2018, 07:51 AM

I got the crock pot out and have been doing a bunch of stuff today is going to be Gumbo. I have chicken shrimp and smoked sausage to use up. Yesterday was Chili. Last Saturday I had a semi date kind of, I invited my friend Doug and his Uncle who is 58 and good looking over for dinner. I was like a nervous wreck I made Pot roast, mashed potatoes, carrots, onions, fresh green beans with roasted red peppers onions and garlic. Had sweet rolls, and cornbread!!! I didn't do desert they ate like a lot 3 helpings each!!!LOL Good thing I cooked a lot because I hardly had any left. Everything turned out good except for the corn bread. I am never making it again!!! I can't compete when it comes to corn bread. I should have just did a garlic bread like I was going to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
choclgs (10-19-2018), sidewalker (10-14-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 07:30 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,547 Times in 14,387 Posts

Ive been slacking on cooking food.
tho I did make sort of a stew thing. lol.
Hub got these rib like strips (he told me he was gonna bbq) but from what I was reading, it said braise that cut of meat. So I did. Seared it, then added beef broth and a bunch of potatoes, onion, garlic, and brussel sprouts.
I thought it was good, but hubby was angry I didnt bbq them.
Oh well.
Next time

add: they were boneless

That's my dog's nose art

Last edited by sidewalker; 10-19-2018 at 07:32 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
xolady (10-20-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 05:50 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,356 Posts

I'm spending the night planning next week's meals. My last visit to the doctor for the year didn't go so well but I'm sure it's not solely my eating habits. So I'll be working the oven and crockpot over the weekend! Thank goodness for the cooler temperatures
xolady (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 06:17 AM

Well thursday was the third anniversary of Andy's death, I spent the dayy with my friend we went shopping and then we drank a lot of beer!! It was a good way to get thru a rough day she let me talk cry and laugh about everything, I'm very luck that I have a few friends who knew of and knew what we went thru that I don't have to feel stupid around. Even got a bunch of messages from my family checking on me, which was nice for once. I know I'm taking a long time to get over him or move on but I can't even imagine being with anyone else. Not out of any sense of guilt but because I'm 56 not all that anymore and I don't seem to fit in the weird small town crap where I live. Any way I cooked a big pot of sauce made like 10lbs of meatballs. It's cold and I am trying to still eat cheap!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
choclgs (10-21-2018), Ne Plach’ (10-20-2018), onedayatatime13 (10-20-2018), sidewalker (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 05:22 PM

Thanked 2,667 Times in 1,257 Posts

I dropped a tray of lasagna in my oven last week. Just finally cleaned it out well. I can cook again. Lol

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (10-21-2018), nimuay (10-21-2018), sidewalker (10-21-2018), xolady (10-23-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:17 AM

Donation Award 

Oh NO! ONe day, my hub did that a while back.

I cleaned it out as best I could right away but he got the seal dirty too. That wont come clean. I was pretty upset because this was a new oven. brand new.

as an aside? The automatic oven clean cycle works well.
I dont use it that often because it takes soooooooo long, and uses alot of fuel.
I try to plan oven clean cycle days in the winter time, or very cold mornings/days

That's my dog's nose art

Old 10-21-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:

I cleaned it out as best I could right away but he got the seal dirty too. That wont come clean. I was pretty upset because this was a new oven. brand new.

I dont use it that often because it takes soooooooo long, and uses alot of fuel.
I try to plan oven clean cycle days in the winter time, or very cold mornings/days
I don't have a self cleaning oven or else that day it would have been done. Had to leave ez off on for a few hrs. Just noticed it got the broiler too. Have to do that today.
Ugh. At least I made 2 trays and got to eat one.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:26 AM

Obviously I haven't read through 30 pages of comments.. so here goes.

My husband is waiting to take his plea and will likely be sentenced 3-5 years. I had to go back to work after nearly a decade off. He and I both love to cook and our grown son lives with us. Obviously when he goes away I'm going to be fending for myself. He's on disability, not to mention house arrest currently so I often come home from work to dinner ready.

I'm so glad that before all of this went down I had recently bought an electric pressure cooker and an Air Fryer Oven. We have used the hell out of it already but I expect that once he's gone they will be the best investments I have ever made. I can do a full roast with potatoes and carrots in the pressure cooker in one hour and that is from FREEZER to plate. I'm all about fast and easy but I also love to cook and have good, healthy meals and this will come in handy when life gets busy and depressing!
Old 10-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,356 Posts

Well I had my first cooking/baking fail in a while. I attempted to make a peach cobbler. I don't know what it is but I think I need to do something different with the batter which happened to be an pack of Bisquick that I found in the back of the cabinet. I know I added too much nutmeg because that's all I taste in the batter. Next time I'll try a smaller recipe and see how that goes.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
Obviously I haven't read through 30 pages of comments.. so here goes.

My husband is waiting to take his plea and will likely be sentenced 3-5 years. I had to go back to work after nearly a decade off. He and I both love to cook and our grown son lives with us. Obviously when he goes away I'm going to be fending for myself. He's on disability, not to mention house arrest currently so I often come home from work to dinner ready.

I'm so glad that before all of this went down I had recently bought an electric pressure cooker and an Air Fryer Oven. We have used the hell out of it already but I expect that once he's gone they will be the best investments I have ever made. I can do a full roast with potatoes and carrots in the pressure cooker in one hour and that is from FREEZER to plate. I'm all about fast and easy but I also love to cook and have good, healthy meals and this will come in handy when life gets busy and depressing!
Which pressure cooker did you get?

Old 10-21-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
Which pressure cooker did you get?
I got the Power Pressure Cooker XL.

I saw it on an infomercial but picked it up at Walmart. Two weeks later I saw one on the Air Fryer Oven and ordered it online. Although everyone agrees that they were both worth their money (80 and 250) I've been banned from watching infomercials, especially those involving kitchen items lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (10-21-2018), xolady (10-23-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:

If you mean the seal on the door.... and does it have a glass door? I managed to get stuff in there... I think that must be one of my talents. Anyway, I opened it and cleaned it. Took me a long time to realize I could do that. LOL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mg81 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (10-21-2018), sidewalker (10-21-2018), xolady (10-23-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 05:10 AM

Donation Award 

Yes, my oven has a glass door. The fabric (?) around the glass on the inside is what got a lasanga bath.

I had one of the power pressure cookers too. It was an earlier model.
I used it alot, and it finally bit the dust.
So I got another one, its the instant pot. I like it better in some ways because it has a stainless steel inner pot which is much easier to clean (for me anyway)
I dont know how to use it quite as well as the old one but Im sure coming up here, I will.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 10-22-2018, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,567 Times in 11,011 Posts

I've finally got an Instant Pot on the way to me - shipped via Walmart.....looking forward to using it!
sidewalker (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 07:09 AM

Donation Award 

I think your gonna love it Nim.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 10-23-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I dropped a tray of lasagna in my oven last week. Just finally cleaned it out well. I can cook again. Lol
I dropped a baked Ham with pinapple and brown sugar glaze it went every where. I have cleaned this oven about 50 times but I can still smell burnt sugar and ham sometimes!!LOL It got in every crack and crevice!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
lolo21216 (10-23-2018), sidewalker (10-23-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 07:33 AM

Donation Award 

anyone used puff pastry before?

I tried it. Hub bought a bunch of pears that were gonna go south soon.
So I was gonna make a pear tart with the pears and puff pastry.
Hub wanted to slice up the pears which he did. (he told me he was gonna use the banjo to do it. LOL! He meant the mandolin. oops)
Instead of slicing them in half lenghtwise he sort of cut them in the size of french fries.

Tart was ok. but I dont think the puff pastry cooked on the bottom. (I didnt eat any til last night)

Has anyone used puff pastry before?

Do you think slicing the pears larger would have made it a bit more likely to cook the pastry on the bottom, better?

That's my dog's nose art

Old 10-24-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
anyone used puff pastry before?

I tried it. Hub bought a bunch of pears that were gonna go south soon.
So I was gonna make a pear tart with the pears and puff pastry.
Hub wanted to slice up the pears which he did. (he told me he was gonna use the banjo to do it. LOL! He meant the mandolin. oops)
Instead of slicing them in half lenghtwise he sort of cut them in the size of french fries.

Tart was ok. but I dont think the puff pastry cooked on the bottom. (I didnt eat any til last night)

Has anyone used puff pastry before?

Do you think slicing the pears larger would have made it a bit more likely to cook the pastry on the bottom, better?
Fruit was probably to wet. I used to make apple tarts using it but had to precook apples. Also butter the dough.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,567 Times in 11,011 Posts

xo is right - Keeping the moisture from the pastry is vital; moisture turns it into cardboard. One of the things you can do with pears, apples, peaches and anything else that's going south is to sauté them. Or make a cobbler. Ridiculously easy and very tasty.
sidewalker (10-25-2018), xolady (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 09:36 AM
Полезный дурак

If we are sharing „ dropped food ” experiences, I can share too !

In secondary school, although I was in the program for future university students, we had to take home skills. Girls learned to cook and sew. Boys learned plumbing, other such things.

I got assigned a pineapple upside down cake for grading. It came out nice until I dropped it in the sink by accident.

That cake was truly upside down then .... now it gives me shivers for the cake I must bake Friday ...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
choclgs (10-25-2018), sidewalker (10-25-2018), xolady (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne Plach’ View Post
If we are sharing „ dropped food ” experiences, I can share too !

In secondary school, although I was in the program for future university students, we had to take home skills. Girls learned to cook and sew. Boys learned plumbing, other such things.

I got assigned a pineapple upside down cake for grading. It came out nice until I dropped it in the sink by accident.

That cake was truly upside down then .... now it gives me shivers for the cake I must bake Friday ...
Ha ha I took what they called Home economics in Junior High. I wanted to cook dinner for my family my Dad swore I tried to kill the whole family!!!LOL I substituted white vinegar for Italian Dressing in a recipe!!!LOL I ate mine and pretended it was great!!!LMAO Years later anytime I'd wash the floor using white vinegar on (white tile) My Dad would say oh Your cooking dinner tonight??? That was a huge cooking failure!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
choclgs (10-25-2018), Ne Plach’ (10-25-2018), nimuay (10-25-2018), sidewalker (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 04:47 AM

Okay I'm burned out baby sitting I ate what was put on my plate. My friends grandson only eats chicken nuggets and mac & cheese. Gag me!!! I can't eat this crap and I hate feeding a kid this stuff. Any kid friendly ideas???
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 05:34 AM
Полезный дурак

Ha ha ha ha, xolady! How funny and I love the response of your dad when you washed the floor !!

Back in secondary school [ again ... ], I lived in a village outside of the main town of the region. Some other students and I had to make the „ commute ” to school.

Back in home skills class, our first assignment, was a loaf of bread, made as a group. My group was 2 other village girls and one girl from the city proper. [ it was a small city ...]

I figure we were delinquents from the village. She never ate our bread. Next assignment? Again, she did not eat. She moved over to the next group, of more „ civilized ” [ cool ... ha ha ha ] people and she ate their food !!

One of my group members said, „ Look at her! She’s eating but she wouldn’t eat our stuff!” We got so angry cause like it was a slap to the face, a slap to our honour ! The other girl said, „ Let’s beat the **** out of her! ”

And today, I look back thinking 1. no wonder people thought people from our area are nuts 2. that went 0 - 100 km fast over stupid recipes !
The Following User Says Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
xolady (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 05:46 AM

LOL now I am glad if someone doesn't want me to cook!!! I'd rather eat out anyway!!!