Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New Jersey that do not fit into any other New Jersey sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:40 PM

Default I know I'm going away- Have a few questions

How's it going,

I'm 55 years old and not new to prison. Back in the 80's early 90's I did white collar time in Florida, Oregon, Pa, and Jersey. I lived off the grid and haven't had police contact since 1993.

Flash foward 14 years. I got myself into a jamb a couple of weeks ago where I was taken into custody.. (Traffic moving violations). The police threw me in a holding cell for a couple of hours. I was thinking to myself, "Ya know what, betcha they find that 14 year old detainer from that other jurisdiction -- "Son, you aint going anywhere")

I think it's a failure to appear over other motor vehical crap and I have a detainer for theft in PA from like 26 years ago but PA never came and got me after my last 1991 to 1993 NJ stint.
(Now you know why I was living off the grid)

Two hours later the holding cell door opened / they handed me a playing card deck full of tickets and cut me loose.
(I'm guessing the Police didn't run me locally or NCIC)

I know I am not leaving the Courtroom.
I haven't done time since 93 and I know it's a whole new ball game in the joint now-a-days.
By the way. None of my priors were violent, dealing with drugs, guns or gangs. I don't even have tattoos.

Can someone give me the intake / bunk situation rundown on this Mercer County Corrections Facility (Better known as The Workhouse) because I'm positive that will be my mailing address for quite a while.

Secondly, should I take $3 / $400.00 with me in court for commisary because family isn't to up on computers or that JPay. Can I still carry my own cash in to jail and have them put it on the books ?

At my age, this is gonna suck!

Thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2017, 01:57 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,091 Times in 605 Posts

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with your state. I feel sure someone will come along soon with some helpful info. I did want to say welcome to PTO.
The Following User Says Thank You to OnlyInTexas For This Useful Post:
Handyman5 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 02:31 PM

Can't you just send in the $$ for the tickets ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf9785 For This Useful Post:
Handyman5 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the Welcome, Texas!

Wish I could just send in the money for the tickets. I got hit with everything except the kitchen sink - The kitchen sink being a DUI. If I didn't walk away from the accident (Leaving the Scene) I most certainly would have been charged with a DUI. Did I mention I had a open 6pac of beer on the back seat floor.
(My attorney even said that was a good move on my part)
Leaving the scene over a DUI.

I was hit with :
Leaving the Scene of a Accident with property damage. No personal injury.

Failure to produce Registration and Insurance. The vehical was legal, I wasn't.
Failure to produce a Drivers Licences.

Driving on the revoked list. 3rd offence
Driving on the sidewalk even though you have to cross over a sidewalk when entering or leaving the business since it's on a highway.
(I'll tell ya, these cops banged me with everything over their frustration at my home so they couldn't charge with with the DUI.)
At my house, I was taken in to custody (2hrs) for refusing to coperate.

A lot of of the tickets are BS but most are Court Appearance Required.
I have a attorney. Many tickets will be dismissed.

My concern is a 3rd offence driving on the revoked list. Last Drivers Lic offence occured well over 20 years ago. Not to mention the Failure to Appear in another jurisdiction and my prior record.

I am not sweating the tickets. I'm also aware it will run in the thousands.
I was just curious how the inner-workings of the Jail system currently is 14 years later.
Guess I'll find out first hand in a few weeks.

*Back to wearing 2 pairs of drawers and 3 pairs of socks to court so I have a fresh change once inside*