Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New Jersey that do not fit into any other New Jersey sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:28 AM

Default Which of these 4 New Jersey facilities are best?

My little brother was just sentenced. His lawyer gave him list of different facilities he may end up. looking for any info or suggestion would be help. which would be best, hes not violent person and has strong faith with God.
any info would help.. thanks god bless

List of facilities:

Albert C. Wagner Youth Correctional Facility
Bordentown NJ, 8505

Bayside State Prison
Leesburg NJ, 8327

East Jersey State Prison
Newark NJ, 7065

Mountainview Youth Correctional Facility
Annandale NJ, 8801
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2017, 09:36 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,314 Times in 13,653 Posts

Hello & welcome to PTO I can't answer which facility is best, but I thought I'd at least gave you a little advice.

Maybe I'm a bit jaded, but in all honesty, lawyers usually don't know the first thing about how a DOC operates / DOC policies & procedures. Not knocking lawyers, but they have enough on their plate keeping up with Statutes and caseloads.

If NJ is anything like KY, your brother can request which facility he'd like to do his time in....then DOC sends them anywhere BUT the requested facility. Just a heads up

There are other members from NJ that can better answer your specific facility questions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
eze036 (07-13-2017), miamac (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 03:27 PM
Life Lovin
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,383 Posts

Mountainview and AC Wagner are youth facilities. They take offenders between 18-30 or so. I am not sure on the max age for those facilities as it seems to have changed. EJSP takes guys of any custody level so depending on which other factors their are to consider (age etc) that could be an option. Unfortinutely it does not matter what anyone thinks is best. CRAF will choose where your brother is sent based on their own opinion.

Last edited by Tina; 07-03-2017 at 03:55 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tina For This Useful Post:
eze036 (07-13-2017), patchouli (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eze036 View Post
My little brother was just sentenced. His lawyer gave him list of different facilities he may end up. looking for any info or suggestion would be help. which would be best, hes not violent person and has strong faith with God.
any info would help.. thanks god bless

List of facilities:

Albert C. Wagner Youth Correctional Facility
Bordentown NJ, 8505

Bayside State Prison
Leesburg NJ, 8327

East Jersey State Prison
Newark NJ, 7065

Mountainview Youth Correctional Facility
Annandale NJ, 8801

Take my advice...DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY LAWYER REGARDING PLACEMENT WITHIN THE DOC! They do not know the first thing about the classification process and/or facility placement. From my experience, it is best to just go into the situation not expecting to go to any one particular facility. The classification committee at CRAF will take care of that.

That being said, I can try and point you in some direction with what the classification committee is looking for when classifying someone - just understand that it is solely my opinion that I am giving you and not fact!

1.) How old is your brother?

2.) Without being specific, what type of crime was he sentenced for?

3.) What part of NJ do you live in?

4.) How long was his sentence? Does he have any mandatory minimum sentence (i.e. 4 year sentence with a 2 year mandatory minimum until parole eligibility)?

5.) How much time did he serve in jail after he was arrested, as well as while he was waiting for the disposition of his case?

Again, I will try and help you but please give me as much information as possible.

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to georgelpz For This Useful Post:
eze036 (07-13-2017), patchouli (06-29-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 06:32 AM

georgelpz is right. if possible he should try to avoid the youth correctional facilities. I was in one of them (mountainview) and they are rough. The 3 years spent there it was named the most dangerous prison in NJ because of the amount of assaults etc. They really came up with a good idea sticking all young offenders in one area. Atleast with the adult facilities they are a litttle bit more mature and are guys with longer sentences who dont really want to be bothered with a lot of petty stuff. No prison is safe but some are just less dangerous than others. I hope the best for your little brother and if you need any advice/help you can private message me. Best of luck to both of you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kronikenergy For This Useful Post:
eze036 (07-13-2017), patchouli (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronikenergy View Post
georgelpz is right. if possible he should try to avoid the youth correctional facilities. I was in one of them (mountainview) and they are rough. The 3 years spent there it was named the most dangerous prison in NJ because of the amount of assaults etc. They really came up with a good idea sticking all young offenders in one area. Atleast with the adult facilities they are a litttle bit more mature and are guys with longer sentences who dont really want to be bothered with a lot of petty stuff. No prison is safe but some are just less dangerous than others. I hope the best for your little brother and if you need any advice/help you can private message me. Best of luck to both of you.
Kronik is right on the money when he says to stay away from the youth facilities whenever possible. They are absolutely the worst places to go. He is also right when he says that adult prisons are more mature and less petty when it comes to problems and fights and that sort of thing. That being said, I was already too old when I got to prison to even be considered for a youth facility (they will consider you at 30 and under) but from what I was told talking to other inmates and COs, it's always best to stay away from the youth facilities.

As Kronik said, as well as myself, let me know if there's anything I can do to for you and the very best to you and your family.
The Following User Says Thank You to georgelpz For This Useful Post:
eze036 (07-13-2017)