Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New Jersey that do not fit into any other New Jersey sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:56 PM

Default Need help with sentencing

My boyfriend recently got sentenced to a 4 do 2 how much time will he serve in prison? And is he eligible for parole or the halfway house
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2017, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanswife7 View Post
My boyfriend recently got sentenced to a 4 do 2 how much time will he serve in prison? And is he eligible for parole or the halfway house
Was he sentenced to a flat 4 years? A flat 4 means there is no minimum amount of time that has to be served before becoming eligible for release on parole. If he is serving a flat four years, he could be released on parole after serving about one-third of his sentence. He could get out even earlier than that on ISP (sort of house arrest) if he is approved for that program.

If your boyfriend is not serving a flat 4, it means he is serving either a stipulated sentence or a NERA sentence. A stipulated sentence means the sentencing judge ordered that a minimum amount of time ( "the stip") has to be served before the defendant can see the parole board. The maximum stip that a judge can impose is half of the sentence, or 2 years in your boyfriend's case. A NERA (No Early Release Act) sentence applies to those defendants who have been convicted of crimes of violence. Someone serving a NERA sentence has to serve 85% of their sentence in prison before being released.

Once your boyfriend is transferred from the Essex County Jail to state prison, search for his listing on the New Jersey Department of Corrections (DOC) website. The DOC will indicate on their website the earliest date when your boyfriend can be released on parole. The DOC won't, however, indicate when your boyfriend could be released on ISP, which would be even earlier than when he could be released on parole. You can find out when your boyfriend has been transferred to the custody of the NJ DOC by registering with www.vinelink.com . Vinelink will send you an email letter whenever there is a change in your boyfriend's custody status (e.g., his transfer from the county jail to state prison).

Last edited by Jelly_Belly; 05-29-2017 at 08:48 PM..
Old 05-29-2017, 08:53 PM

Thanks for replying.he was sentenced to a 4 with a 2 for drug charges this is his first time doing a state bid . Do u think he will be eligible to go to the halfway house or any programs or does he have to do the whole 2 years in a state prison
Old 05-30-2017, 06:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for replying.he was sentenced to a 4 with a 2 for drug charges this is his first time doing a state bid . Do u think he will be eligible to go to the halfway house or any programs or does he have to do the whole 2 years in a state prison
You're welcome.

It sounds like your boyfriend received a 4 year sentence with a two year stipulation. If that is the case, he will have to serve 2 years ("the stip") in prison before he becomes eligible for release on either regular parole or ISP.

Here is a link that contains some information about the ISP program:

http://www.state.nj.us/defender/structure/isp/

Here is the actual application that your boyfriend would have to fill out if he wanted to get into ISP:

https://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/fo...85_isp_app.pdf

Here is some additional information about the ISP program, including information that mentions that those with a stipulated sentence are ineligible for ISP until after they have served the stipulated portion of their sentence:

https://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/fo..._isp_broch.pdf

Last edited by Jelly_Belly; 05-30-2017 at 07:16 AM..
Old 06-01-2017, 02:21 AM

Default Sentence

Hello there,

I was recently released from the NJDOC in March. I was sentenced to a 5 with a 2 so I will help you as much as I can, but I will need some info first.

The easy answer, as Jelly_Belly answered is that he will absolutely have to serve a minimum of two full years in some sort of state custody before he has the chance for parole. That being said, a couple of questions come to mind for you:

1.) How much jail time did he serve before being sentenced (including post-arrest and awaiting trial/plea disposition)?

2.) Where has he been classified, if he has been classified yet? Meaning, does he know what prison he has been sent to? This information is important, as it will help me determine his timeline for being eligible for the farms and then the halfway house. I KNOW it should be a standard across the board with how they (the IICC - Intra-Instutional Classification Committee) but each prison is different. Letting me know where he is will help me determine his steps.

3.) Once he sees the classification committee at the prison he will be assigned to, they will assign him a custody status. Unless there is something in his file that I am not aware of (i.g. - institutional violence, write ups, etc...) he will most likely be classified at Gang Minimum (GM). No, this has nothing to do with gangs...it's just a term used by classification to signify "minimum status, within the institution". Since he has a drug crime, he will most likely not be given Full Minimum status right away, especially since he has a stip. I can explain this in more detail when you find out what his status is.

I know that this is an overwhelming experience! I myself, was a first time offender entering the prison system so I know the feeling well. I know that it feels like he will be away forever but that certainly is not the case. I mean, I MADE it through! He will too.

Let me know what you can find out and I will be more than willing to help you with whatever I can. That goes for whatever prison related questions you have as well.

-Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to georgelpz For This Useful Post:
Rayanddeezy (06-08-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 02:24 AM

Default ISP

Also...

I would like to add that I would recommend that your loved one NOT apply for ISP. He will have to serve at the bare minimum, the two years mandated as part of his stip BEFORE he would be eligible for ISP. At the two year mark, with good time and work credits, if he gets parole, he will "max out" his sentence within 4-5 months after that, which means his parole will be over at that time and his sentence will be over as well. If he applied for ISP and was accepted, he would have to serve a MINIMUM of 16 months on ISP...makes absolutely no sense to do it.
Jelly_Belly (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 06:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelpz View Post
Also...

I would like to add that I would recommend that your loved one NOT apply for ISP. He will have to serve at the bare minimum, the two years mandated as part of his stip BEFORE he would be eligible for ISP. At the two year mark, with good time and work credits, if he gets parole, he will "max out" his sentence within 4-5 months after that, which means his parole will be over at that time and his sentence will be over as well. If he applied for ISP and was accepted, he would have to serve a MINIMUM of 16 months on ISP...makes absolutely no sense to do it.
Well said. ISP is also a lot more "intense" than regular parole as well.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:06 PM

Thanks for responding. The judge gave him 34 days jail credit at his sentencing. He hasn't reached craf yet I believe he being transferred today so I don't no his status as of yet.he was just,sentenced on friday.But I will let,I no as soon as I find out. Will he be able to call,my cell phone from craf? And also how long do u have to serve until he can go to the half way house

Last edited by Batmanswife7; 06-01-2017 at 05:11 PM..
Old 06-01-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for responding. The judge gave him 34 days jail credit at his sentencing. He hasn't reached craf yet I believe he being transferred today so I don't no his status as of yet.he was just,sentenced on friday.But I will let,I no as soon as I find out. Will he be able to call,my cell phone from craf? And also how long do u have to serve until he can go to the half way house
No problem! I know that this is tough time for you so whatever I can do to help, I will!

He very well may have been sent today...the DOC usually picks up a state sentenced inmate within two weeks after sentencing (little known fact: the reason they do this is because NJ has an agreement with the county jail system that allows a state sentenced inmate to remain in the county jail for up to two weeks after sentencing while they are awaiting transfer to CRAF, cost free to the state. After that, the state is charged $100 per day to keep an inmate at the county jail). Myself, I spent 21 days in the county jail before they came and got me. They will NOT tell you when they are coming to get for security reasons. He will know the day of when they wake him up at 3:30 AM and tell him to pack his stuff.

As soon as he gets to CRAF and gets processed, hopefully the CO that is running his tier will be nice enough to give him a telephone add/subtract form so that he can submit names with phone numbers in order to get his phone list processed. With intake inmates, they usually get the list back to them within 3-5 days. He CANNOT list any cell phone numbers in the list - only land lines. NJ is one of the only states that do not allow cell phones on inmate telephone lists; the reason for this is because there was an issue in the past with an inmate and someone on the outside using a cell phone...it always takes one to ruin it for everyone else! What I did to get around the whole cell phone thing was I turned call forwarding on with my cable company so that when I called the "approved" landline number, the call would be forwarded to my family members cell phone so that they would never miss a call. It's perfectly legal because GlobalTelLink(GTL) thinks that the inmate is calling a number off their approved list so it's a win-win. Check with your phone provider (whether you have the cable company or a phone company) and turn that service on. It's free when you have a landline through a provider. Also, do yourself a favor and go to gtl.net and sign up for GTL. You are going to have to deposit money and create an account so that your boyfriend will be able to call you, otherwise he will not be able to contact you. The rates are very reasonable now, at 4 cents a minute. When I first got in, it was about 50 cents a minute but NJ sued GTL and settled so now inmates have reasonable access to phone calls. All phone calls are limited to 15 minutes per call so keep that in mind.

Keep me posted. If you have anything else for me, please don't hesitate to ask.

-Dave
Old 06-01-2017, 09:59 PM

Default Halfway house

Also to answer your question about the halfway house.

Your boyfriend is "technically" eligible for the halfway house as soon as he gets to prison, which is a good thing. In NJ, you must be within 24 months of your parole/release date in order to be eligible for the halfway house, so your boyfriend has that going for him. That being said, you must meet certain criteria before the classification committee even thinks about sending you to the halfway house:

1.) you must already be an inmate at "full minimum" status, which means that an inmate must already be at a full minimum farm or camp (for example, Jones Farm, Bayside Farm, Rahway Camps, etc) to be considered for the halfway house. Once an inmate is there, the INMATE must drop a remedy form to classification asking to be considered for the halfway house.

2.) even if an inmate is eligible for a halfway house, the DOC still wants them to do at least SOME time "behind the wall" before they consider them for a halfway house. Every prison is different - some may want a couple of months and some may want up to a year. Unfortunately, it's completely up to them.

3.) once an inmate is approved to go to what's called "community supervision", they must first go to a halfway house assessment center, of which NJ has two - Talbot Hall in Kearny and Bo Robinson in Trenton. They will stay there for 90 days while they are being evaluated and then they are told which halfway they will go to after that time period has been exhausted.

I'm not the classification committee, however if I had to put a time frame on when your boyfriend would get to the halfway house, I would say within the year. I must stress that he should be incident free and on his best behavior in order to get to the halfway house. I saw too often in prison someone getting jammed up with getting to the halfway house over something petty and stupid. If your boyfriend is lucky, they will send him straight to Jones Farm (which is a satellite work farm of CRAF) and he can drop for the halfway house as soon as he gets there and he could get taken within 3 months. They like to move fast there. That's also a relatively good place to be too. A lot more freedoms and the environment is pretty low key there as well.

Let me know if you need anything else!

-Dave
Jelly_Belly (06-03-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Your boyfriend is "technically" eligible for the halfway house as soon as he gets to prison, which is a good thing. In NJ, you must be within 24 months of your parole/release date in order to be eligible for the halfway house, so your boyfriend has that going for him. That being said, you must meet certain criteria before the classification committee even thinks about sending you to the halfway house:

1.) you must already be an inmate at "full minimum" status, which means that an inmate must already be at a full minimum farm or camp (for example, Jones Farm, Bayside Farm, Rahway Camps, etc) to be considered for the halfway house. Once an inmate is there, the INMATE must drop a remedy form to classification asking to be considered for the halfway house.

2.) even if an inmate is eligible for a halfway house, the DOC still wants them to do at least SOME time "behind the wall" before they consider them for a halfway house. Every prison is different - some may want a couple of months and some may want up to a year. Unfortunately, it's completely up to them.

3.) once an inmate is approved to go to what's called "community supervision", they must first go to a halfway house assessment center, of which NJ has two - Talbot Hall in Kearny and Bo Robinson in Trenton. They will stay there for 90 days while they are being evaluated and then they are told which halfway they will go to after that time period has been exhausted.

I'm not the classification committee, however if I had to put a time frame on when your boyfriend would get to the halfway house, I would say within the year. I must stress that he should be incident free and on his best behavior in order to get to the halfway house. I saw too often in prison someone getting jammed up with getting to the halfway house over something petty and stupid. If your boyfriend is lucky, they will send him straight to Jones Farm (which is a satellite work farm of CRAF) and he can drop for the halfway house as soon as he gets there and he could get taken within 3 months. They like to move fast there. That's also a relatively good place to be too. A lot more freedoms and the environment is pretty low key there as well.

-Dave
My boyfriend has been sent to bayside state prison i still haven't heard from him there moving him around pretty fast do u have any info about bayside state prison thanks in advance
Old 06-08-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:

-Dave

Even though you was responding to another poster i appreciate your post it helped me a lot thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to Rayanddeezy For This Useful Post:
georgelpz (06-08-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Hello there,

I was recently released from the NJDOC in March. I was sentenced to a 5 with a 2 so I will help you as much as I can, but I will need some info first.

The easy answer, as Jelly_Belly answered is that he will absolutely have to serve a minimum of two full years in some sort of state custody before he has the chance for parole. That being said, a couple of questions come to mind for you:

1.) How much jail time did he serve before being sentenced (including post-arrest and awaiting trial/plea disposition)?

2.) Where has he been classified, if he has been classified yet? Meaning, does he know what prison he has been sent to? This information is important, as it will help me determine his timeline for being eligible for the farms and then the halfway house. I KNOW it should be a standard across the board with how they (the IICC - Intra-Instutional Classification Committee) but each prison is different. Letting me know where he is will help me determine his steps.

3.) Once he sees the classification committee at the prison he will be assigned to, they will assign him a custody status. Unless there is something in his file that I am not aware of (i.g. - institutional violence, write ups, etc...) he will most likely be classified at Gang Minimum (GM). No, this has nothing to do with gangs...it's just a term used by classification to signify "minimum status, within the institution". Since he has a drug crime, he will most likely not be given Full Minimum status right away, especially since he has a stip. I can explain this in more detail when you find out what his status is.

I know that this is an overwhelming experience! I myself, was a first time offender entering the prison system so I know the feeling well. I know that it feels like he will be away forever but that certainly is not the case. I mean, I MADE it through! He will too.

Let me know what you can find out and I will be more than willing to help you with whatever I can. That goes for whatever prison related questions you have as well.

-Dave
I finally heard from my boyfriend he is in bayside state prison. He says craf classified him as full minimum but he's waiting to get classified at bayside .He was giving 34 days jail credit. I see on the doc site that his parole eligible date is 3-2019.Can u give me any insight on how long before he can go to the halfway house. I don't believe he has any violence or anything in his file this is his first time doing a state bid and he's only been incarcerated since May 26 2017

Last edited by Batmanswife7; 06-14-2017 at 08:20 PM..
Old 06-15-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I finally heard from my boyfriend he is in bayside state prison. He says craf classified him as full minimum but he's waiting to get classified at bayside .He was giving 34 days jail credit. I see on the doc site that his parole eligible date is 3-2019.Can u give me any insight on how long before he can go to the halfway house. I don't believe he has any violence or anything in his file this is his first time doing a state bid and he's only been incarcerated since May 26 2017
Well, that's good to hear. Since he was classified full minimum at CRAF and then was sent to Bayside, that means that he is either going to end up at Bayside Farm or at Ancora (which is a full-minimum work unit of Bayside)...either way, once he is out from behind the wall at Bayside, it will not be that bad. The farm isn't bad at all there, but as always, tell him to keep his head down, ears open and mouth shut. There are lots of people there that will try and take advantage of him, especially if he's a good natured person. He isn't in any danger at all, but just remind him to be smart and keep his head down.

As far as the HH goes, he is technically eligible right away. DOC guidelines state that an inmate must be a minimum of 24 months short of either their projected parole release date or the end of their sentence, which he is. I would tell him to "drop" (which is prison slang for submit a remedy slip) to classification once he is at Bayside Farm and request to go to the HH. Remember, as I said before, everything moves at DOC pace, which means SLOW. He could be out of there in 3 months and to the assessment center or they could make him wait longer. There is no rhyme or reason to their methods. Whatever you do, DO NOT attempt to try and understand it. The more you try and understand, the more it will frustrate you. Prison is not like everyday life...what is rational here on the outside isn't necessarily rational there.

I hope this helps...as always, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Again, and I can't stress this enough - make sure you hammer into his head to stay clean and free of any trouble while he's at the farm. That way, when it comes time for them to decide on whether or not to send him to the HH, there isn't any reason for them to deny him.

-Dave
Old 06-19-2017, 04:53 PM

Hi! my man had a 3 do 1. He is currently at Bayside State Prison. He was given an approval for a halfway house drop a couple weeks after he had been there. He is being moved tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Well, that's good to hear. Since he was classified full minimum at CRAF and then was sent to Bayside, that means that he is either going to end up at Bayside Farm or at Ancora (which is a full-minimum work unit of Bayside)...either way, once he is out from behind the wall at Bayside, it will not be that bad. The farm isn't bad at all there, but as always, tell him to keep his head down, ears open and mouth shut. There are lots of people there that will try and take advantage of him, especially if he's a good natured person. He isn't in any danger at all, but just remind him to be smart and keep his head down.

As far as the HH goes, he is technically eligible right away. DOC guidelines state that an inmate must be a minimum of 24 months short of either their projected parole release date or the end of their sentence, which he is. I would tell him to "drop" (which is prison slang for submit a remedy slip) to classification once he is at Bayside Farm and request to go to the HH. Remember, as I said before, everything moves at DOC pace, which means SLOW. He could be out of there in 3 months and to the assessment center or they could make him wait longer. There is no rhyme or reason to their methods. Whatever you do, DO NOT attempt to try and understand it. The more you try and understand, the more it will frustrate you. Prison is not like everyday life...what is rational here on the outside isn't necessarily rational there.

I hope this helps...as always, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Again, and I can't stress this enough - make sure you hammer into his head to stay clean and free of any trouble while he's at the farm. That way, when it comes time for them to decide on whether or not to send him to the HH, there isn't any reason for them to deny him.

-Dave
I just found out they moved him to Bordentown I dont understand why I just talk to him Saturday he was still at bayside he was waiting to see classification.im so stressed out I don't understand why they moved him.he hasn't called yet I assumed they moved him today.i hear that's one of the worst places to be.i was hoping for him to stay at bayside because they move there paper work fast now I don't no what's gonna happen.

Last edited by Batmanswife7; 06-19-2017 at 08:26 PM..
Old 06-20-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I just found out they moved him to Bordentown I dont understand why I just talk to him Saturday he was still at bayside he was waiting to see classification.im so stressed out I don't understand why they moved him.he hasn't called yet I assumed they moved him today.i hear that's one of the worst places to be.i was hoping for him to stay at bayside because they move there paper work fast now I don't no what's gonna happen.
Bordentown (AC Wagner Youth Correctional Facility) is exactly what it's name implies - a youth facility. Classification will send men there up to 29 years old. How old is your boyfriend?
Tina (06-22-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Bordentown (AC Wagner Youth Correctional Facility) is exactly what it's name implies - a youth facility. Classification will send men there up to 29 years old. How old is your boyfriend?
He is 27 he'll be 28 on the 26th of this month but craf sent him to bayside he was there for about 11 days then bayside sent him to bordentown.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:29 AM

Quote:
He is 27 he'll be 28 on the 26th of this month but craf sent him to bayside he was there for about 11 days then bayside sent him to bordentown.
Hello,

Interesting that Bayside would do that and not CRAF...The fact that he is 27 doesn't surprise me with that they sent him to Bordentown. They send many people under 30 to youth facilities. Are you sure that he didn't get in any trouble down at Bayside? I only ask that because Bordentown has an Ad-Seg unit that the DOC uses for lockup for inmates around the state.

Also, just because he's at Bordentown doesn't mean it's bad. They have a minimum security unit there and if that's where he's going to stay, they will most likely put him there and he can drop for the halfway house from there.

Keep me posted!
Old 06-21-2017, 04:47 AM

He called he said bayside farm is full so that's why the sent him there he at the camp in bordentown .He also said that anchors facility is now shut down.