Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New Jersey that do not fit into any other New Jersey sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:34 AM

Default Can anyone help me out understanding sentencing in New Jersey?

Hi, I'm new to this site and My man just got sentenced May 6, 2016. I just found out a few days ago that they sent him to Yarsdville. I went to court with him the day of the sentencing but I would like for someone to break it down throughly to me if someone can please about how much time he will actually do behind the wall (in prison) and how much time will he do in the halfway house? I want to understand how this whole thing works. I've been googling questions but everyones time frame is different so im wondering can someone break his down for me personally please. We just had a baby in March they gave him an extention to watch his first son being born which was nice. So heres the story, please bear with me guys thank you

He caught a charge back in 2014, he did 7 months in the county and bailed out. December 2015, he took a plea. Which was 4 with an 85 for his charges. Later, he caught another charge and his lawyer made him plea guilty to run his charges together. BUT for that charge he was accepted into drug court and was going. His lawyer put a motion in for his 2014 charge to accept him into drug court as well, sadly they denied him. Im guessing his laywer should have went with that BEFORE making him cop a plea. But he wasnt thinking about it, then when he did it was too late. Fast forward. Sentencing came around and they gave him a Mandatory Minimum Term of 3 years 4 months 23 days, Maximum term 4years. His other offense with this charge has no minimum mandatory term but has a maximum term of 8 years. His current max release date is 2022, his current parole eligibilty date is in 2019. He has to go to court next month for the other charge he caught which was 3 years. so we dont know yet what they will say hence the fact they gave him drug court for it before. But im guessing they will just run the terms comsecutively if anything. Now my main question is how much time will he do in prison before he is release to a halfway house program, crediting him for the 7 months prior to being in the county? Can anybody please help me with that? I will appreciate it! I want my man home. Its so depressing without him here and I'm raising my two little boys. Thank god for family support! I have yet to speak to him since he's been transferred.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2016, 10:26 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,305 Times in 13,648 Posts

I'm not familiar with NJ, but from what you've posted it doesn't sound like he's going to be home anytime soon At least (IMHO) until his PED of 2019, and parole is never guaranteed. Usually Halfway House is at the tail end of a sentence as I understand it.

Welcome to PTO!
Old 05-27-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
I'm not familiar with NJ, but from what you've posted it doesn't sound like he's going to be home anytime soon At least (IMHO) until his PED of 2019, and parole is never guaranteed. Usually Halfway House is at the tail end of a sentence as I understand it.

Welcome to PTO!
Thank you, yes I know for a fact he wont be home anytime soon. In NJ people usually do a certain amount of time in prison and they could spend a month to a year in the halfway house. It sucks that parole isnt guaranteed. He can appeal his case within the 45 days from sentencing. Some paperwork was missing prior to sentencing and I think another lawyer will be looking into any other factions. But even that isnt always guaranteed as well! Thank you for your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smiley615316 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-27-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 06:41 PM

he's going to have to at least serve the mandatory minimum term of 3 years 4 months and 22 days. if any of the time he's spent in county was for the charges he was sentenced to, they'll subtract that from the time he has to serve.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMick88 View Post
he's going to have to at least serve the mandatory minimum term of 3 years 4 months and 22 days. if any of the time he's spent in county was for the charges he was sentenced to, they'll subtract that from the time he has to serve.
Thank you very much ! I finally got to visit him he's actually about to start a 9-12 month program soon and then to the halfway house after he completes the program.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley615316 View Post
Thank you very much ! I finally got to visit him he's actually about to start a 9-12 month program soon and then to the halfway house after he completes the program.
That's awesome, I wasn't sure if the halfway house would be included in the mandatory minimum time. What kind of program is he going to be doing? Do you know where he'll be going (which prison)? My guy's in Burlington County Jail 😣
Old 06-14-2016, 08:35 AM

Sorry for the delay & actually im shocked about the whole halfway house thing because I've heard they'll let them do their time then come straight home. Now when he does he will be on parole. He's in Garden State Youth Correctional Facility in Yardville. So far June 6th made a month since he's been sentenced & they moved him around to his current destination i wanna say abt 3 weeks ago. The program is going to be like a drug counseling program since he smokes. & he told them that when he was sent to trenton from Middlesex County Jail so they recommended him. & the parole board looks at everything from work credits, school, u know all that. He's a point away from being eligible for the halfway house but he's doing the program first then they said automatically he goes to the halfway instead of the camps then halfway. Hows everything working out with your guy?
Old 08-15-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley615316 View Post
Sorry for the delay & actually im shocked about the whole halfway house thing because I've heard they'll let them do their time then come straight home. Now when he does he will be on parole. He's in Garden State Youth Correctional Facility in Yardville. So far June 6th made a month since he's been sentenced & they moved him around to his current destination i wanna say abt 3 weeks ago. The program is going to be like a drug counseling program since he smokes. & he told them that when he was sent to trenton from Middlesex County Jail so they recommended him. & the parole board looks at everything from work credits, school, u know all that. He's a point away from being eligible for the halfway house but he's doing the program first then they said automatically he goes to the halfway instead of the camps then halfway. Hows everything working out with your guy?
hey sorry for my delay so far not too good, they moved him from burlington county jail to the workhouse, he's got a bail finally so I should have him bailed out on the 26th, but when he gets sentenced hell most likely get some time, he's got 11 pending charges smj