Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories Information, inspiration, and resources for addiction.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Driscoll View Post

Not so in some other cultures--Irish, for example, and Native American, and African-America

FD
Let me see if I saw that right... ....culture ( heritage? ) plays a part of whether you are an alcoholic? I am soooo mad at my mom for not being Irish so I can take up drinking and even madder at my dad for not being Jewish so it wouldn't effect me if I did.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2008, 02:25 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

Could be worse....you could be Scandinavian and have to deal with being alcoholic AND depressed besides!

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 05-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Altheasskweez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokiegirl View Post
Let me see if I saw that right... ....culture ( heritage? ) plays a part of whether you are an alcoholic? Not culture; genetic heritage. It's actually fairly well documented I am soooo mad at my mom for not being Irish so I can take up drinking Taking up drinking is not the problem; not being able to put down drinking is the problem and even madder at my dad for not being Jewish so it wouldn't effect me if I did. Again, it's a genetic, not a cultural (religious) thing. Did Sammy Davis, Jr. stop drinking when he converted to Judaism? I don't think so.
Best,

FD
Old 05-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Banned

[quote=Frank Driscoll;

I read somewhere that the reason you almost never see an alcoholic Jew is that Jewish culture has included drinking alcohol forever. The poison has done as much damage as it is going to do among Jews. Therefore, the gene for alcoholism is rare.

FD[/quote]

I don't know about this Mr Driscoll, sometimes I don't believe everything I read but I will be installing 'goggle' later today.
I tried to look up Sammy Davis, Jr but so far all I found was that he was some kind of singer back in the day.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention that alcoholism is a genetic problem because I was not aware of that. I thought alcoholism was more like a disease and that a person got it from tipping the bottle a little too much. So what are you saying? Because a person is born Irish, Native American or African American then there is gene inside them waiting to be awaken to become an alcoholic? Is it already in their bloodline? It sounds more like a myth to me but as I said above I will be goggling documents and statistics later tonight to better understand. sokie

Last edited by sokiegirl; 05-14-2008 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Can't spell again! ;-)
Old 05-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,014 Times in 7,141 Posts

Genetic heritage does play a role in predisposition... in other words, a person of Native American or Irish descent is at greater risk for alcohol dependency that, say, a Scottish or German descendant, but no one is "destined" for alcoholism and no one is immune.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Altheasskweez

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBeau View Post
Genetic heritage does play a role in predisposition... in other words, a person of Native American or Irish descent is at greater risk for alcohol dependency that, say, a Scottish or German descendant, but no one is "destined" for alcoholism and no one is immune.
Amen. Especially to the part about no one being immune.

The pros call it a dose-dependent disease. That is, you can be as genetically predisposed to alcoholism as possible and if you don't drink, you'll never develop the disease. (Sounds like a truism, I know.)

On the other hand, if you drink enough alcohol you will become addicted to it. Stopping alcohol intake abruptly causes classic withdrawal symptoms, just like opiates, barbiturates, and benzodiazepines. Acute alcohol withdrawal is one of the scarier medical conditions. I can kill you--which is why if you're waiting to get into a detox bed you'll often be told to drink enough alcohol to keep the DTs away while you're waiting.

The theory, I suppose, is that people with the genetic predisposition to alcoholism are more likely to become alcoholic, and people who are alcoholic are less likely to reproduce than people who aren't. With this process at work over thousands and thousands of years, the gene for alcoholism becomes rarer and rarer.

Consider: prior to the coming of the white man, no Native American had ever had a slug of Old Tanglefoot. Four hundred years is the blink of an eye in evolutionary terms--perhaps 30 generations.

As I said, alcoholism just hasn't killed enough of us yet to make it go away on its own.

Best,

FD
Old 05-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Altheasskweez

Default Feeling older than usual

Quote:

I don't know about this Mr Driscoll, sometimes I don't believe everything I read but I will be installing 'goggle' later today.
I tried to look up Sammy Davis, Jr but so far all I found was that he was some kind of singer back in the day.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention that alcoholism is a genetic problem because I was not aware of that. I thought alcoholism was more like a disease and that a person got it from tipping the bottle a little too much. So what are you saying? Because a person is born Irish, Native American or African American then there is gene inside them waiting to be awaken to become an alcoholic? Is it already in their bloodline? It sounds more like a myth to me but as I said above I will be goggling documents and statistics later tonight to better understand. sokie
I'm saying that if a person is born Irish, Native American or African-American, he or she is more likely to have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism than other ethnic groups, like Jews, who have had thousands of years of experience with alcohol. It's no myth; it's real. Just like Afraican-Americans get Sickle Cell anemia, people whose ancestors were from the Mediterranean get thalassemia, and Jews get Tay-Sachs, people with the genetic predisposition to alcoholism are more likely to become alcoholic if they're "tipping the bottle a little too much."

Sammy Davis, Jr. was an entertainer, a song-and-dance man, back (as you so indelicately put it) "in the day." He was an associate of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Joey Bishop, and Peter Lawford.

He was black, and "back in the day" he caused quite a stir when he converted to Judaism in order to marry a white German chanteuse named May Britt.

Jesus, I feel old.

FD
Old 05-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Donation Award 

Don't feel old, Frank- It was a highlight of my childhood when I met Mr. Davis at a Hollywood restaurant and it just breaks my heart to hear anyone say "Who?"

Sammy Davis,Jr. was.... an institution- Brilliant, funny, talented and he broke down a lot of doors for the black entertainers that followed him.... he was one of the first people of colour to be regarded as "An entertainer" rather than "A black entertainer"....and he was nice to starstruck children.

Speak your mind-

The Following User Says Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
gypsydancer (05-15-2008)
Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Banned

Red face

It was not my intention to make anyone feel old. I suppose it is the way we talk now "back in the day", "old school" but it was not meant to be disrespectful to anyone from the Sammy Davis, Jr generation. Heck, be proud you have lived this long and can share history with people such as myself who have no first hand knowledge. I met a WW2 veteran the other day and was very impressed when he spoke of storming Normandy and Omaha Beach. He was a very fiery speaker at 86 years old
I appreciate both you and LeBeau taking the time to explain the genetic part of alcoholism to me because I was under the impression that alcoholism was a self induced disease. ( Thats why I stepped away from the bottle so fast ) I am interested in this problem in America and will continue to read about it so I have knowledge.
Thank you, sokie
Old 05-15-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBeau View Post
Absolutely!!!

Sammy Davis was one hell of an entertainer and a pioneer!!( Ever hear of the Original "Brat Pack"?) R.I.P., "Candyman"

...Just the humble opinion of another member of "The Old Fogies Club"

Last edited by gypsydancer; 05-15-2008 at 01:59 PM..
Old 05-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Altheasskweez

Default Nailing it down

Quote:
It was not my intention to make anyone feel old. I suppose it is the way we talk now "back in the day", "old school" but it was not meant to be disrespectful to anyone from the Sammy Davis, Jr generation. Heck, be proud you have lived this long and can share history with people such as myself who have no first hand knowledge. I met a WW2 veteran the other day and was very impressed when he spoke of storming Normandy and Omaha Beach. He was a very fiery speaker at 86 years old
I appreciate both you and LeBeau taking the time to explain the genetic part of alcoholism to me because I was under the impression that alcoholism was a self induced disease. ( Thats why I stepped away from the bottle so fast ) I am interested in this problem in America and will continue to read about it so I have knowledge.
Thank you, sokie
The term I like is OG. A couple of years back, I got tagged for a DUI and got thrown into the clink overnight. The fellas started calling me "OG" which, I was told, means original gangster.

Aw, shucks!

Anyway, no offense taken. My pleasure, actually.

I sense a teachable moment here, so I'd like to add that it is a self-induced disease in the sense that you can't be an alcoholic unless you drink. But if you have the genetic predisposition and drink you're at much higher risk to go on and develop alcoholism.

This, at any rate, is what my reading and experience have led me to believe.

Good luck,

FD
Old 05-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Altheasskweez

Default Afterthought . . .

It probably stands for "Old Goof."

FD
Old 05-16-2008, 11:28 AM

Oops I meant "Rat Pack"..I'm always crossing my wires these days...
It's a beach getting old...but it beats the alternative...
Old 05-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
It's a beach getting old......
So that's why half my joints feel like they're full of sand in the morning!

Speak your mind-

Old 05-22-2008, 10:35 PM
replanted cheesehead

I just want to say that I LOVE you guys here!!!

Old 06-08-2008, 01:37 AM

Your asking the question so that must answer it for you..............think about why you had the need to do that? I have a feeling you know why!