Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Georgia should be posted here.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:37 PM

Default Sentenced 20 years do 10 for robbery: Any possibility of early release?

Hello everyone I’m very new to this! My fiancé has been sentenced to a crime he committed when he was 17 he is now 21 ! He is currently awaiting in county jail to be ship to diagnostics! He is 21 with no prior convictions and he was sentenced 20 years do 10 for robbery ! My question is when will he know if he would have a tpm or would they really allow for him to stay in prison for 10 years ? Any possibility of him getting released sooner
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2017, 09:45 PM

Thanked 1,524 Times in 610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker2016 View Post
Hello everyone I’m very new to this! My fiancé has been sentenced to a crime he committed when he was 17 he is now 21 ! He is currently awaiting in county jail to be ship to diagnostics! He is 21 with no prior convictions and he was sentenced 20 years do 10 for robbery ! My question is when will he know if he would have a tpm or would they really allow for him to stay in prison for 10 years ? Any possibility of him getting released sooner
Once he gets to his permanent location,his counselor can tell him if he's eligible for early release. If he has no priors then he might be eligible depending on his crime. If he is eligible then doing everything he can to earn points will help make that date earlier. That means taking classes offered, staying out of trouble, etc. Here is a link to the DOC guideline to earn points. http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/sites/de...t%202017_0.pdf

You might also consider visiting the National Incarceration site for info on things dealing with incarceration in GA. they post info on events & things that might be helpful. Their site is https://joinnia.com/
Old 11-18-2017, 08:51 PM

Well... I'm probably going to be the bearer of bad news in this situation.

1. He's not going to know anything about a TPM until he does a third of his time. From what you said, is he already 4 years into his probation, and got revoked the full time? I'm going to act like he just got sentenced and he's been fighting it for 4 years.

3.33 is a third of 10 years, so, he should look for a TPM around the beginning of 2021. Then, according to his guidelines, depending on if the burglary was a dwelling... it's not positive. The parole board takes property crimes pretty seriously, and they weigh heavy on their sentencing. I know MANY friends that had to pull 80 percent of their time, although I think the recommendation is 65%. So, that's 6.5 years right there.

2. Here are the positives:
Once he is 4 years out from his max, or TPM, he will be able to go to a transitional center. He could potentially get a TPM early, I got mine 6 months before my PED (Parole Eligibility Date). Everyone gets a PED, it's set at a third of your time. I had a 7 year sentence, my PED was at 28 months... I didn't find out until 22 months, SO almost 2 years in.

He needs to: Get a work detail that gives him a PIC point every 6 months
Keep his nose clean.
Make amends with the victims, because they can write things to put in his file that could keep him from the TC or from getting an earlier TPM. ( he should do this through a lawyer though, don't contact them on his own)

If you have any other questions, or want to share more specifics, you can PM me.

I hope this helps. Don't get discouraged, take it a day at a time. BUT I always hate when people give false hope, he'll get a lot of that in there. He is also a guy, so his timeline might move a bit faster than women's BUT that property crime is what is going to hit him hard.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:06 AM

This has nothing to do with the op' s questions just an observation ..when I see someone getting 20 years with 10 yo serve I would have expected someone to be seriously injured or killed. It boggles my mind that someone will be punished for that length of time for robbery. I know it happens ..but it still blows me away. Particularly if as the op stated the crime occurred when he was 17. Doesn't seem right.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cljinct View Post
This has nothing to do with the op' s questions just an observation ..when I see someone getting 20 years with 10 yo serve I would have expected someone to be seriously injured or killed. It boggles my mind that someone will be punished for that length of time for robbery. I know it happens ..but it still blows me away. Particularly if as the op stated the crime occurred when he was 17. Doesn't seem right.
Georgia maxes out sentencing, they are almost always going to give you a split sentence for your crime. I had a 15 serve 7 for my crime, nobody died. 15 is the maximum amount of time I could be sentenced to, while 1 was the minimum. If Georgia would just do straight sentences, life would be a little bit easier for a lot of people.

However, if you don't break the law then you won't get in trouble... so, there's that.
The Following User Says Thank You to KaylaPaige For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (02-03-2018)
Old 11-19-2017, 12:29 PM

can someone tell me what does TMP mean
Old 11-19-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshaye25 View Post
can someone tell me what does TMP mean
Tentative Parole Month, the month that you could be released if the board grants you parole.
The Following User Says Thank You to KaylaPaige For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (02-03-2018)
Old 11-19-2017, 01:38 PM

Okay what about is someone is offer a 12 or 11 plea with a 80 percent. Is this for California the tentative parole month
Old 11-20-2017, 03:38 PM
She's Home! Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 4,952 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Okay what about is someone is offer a 12 or 11 plea with a 80 percent. Is this for California the tentative parole month

Shaye, this thread has to do with the state of Georgia, their sentencing laws are different than ours.

-E
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (02-03-2018)
Old 11-20-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
Shaye, this thread has to do with the state of Georgia, their sentencing laws are different than ours.

-E

Aww man lol i just wish I can be with my boyfriend now
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oshaye25 For This Useful Post:
missingdee (11-20-2017), Sarianna (02-03-2018)
Old 11-20-2017, 03:48 PM
She's Home! Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 4,952 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Aww man lol i just wish I can be with my boyfriend now

I know, I know. Patience...
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
Old 11-20-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
I know, I know. Patience...

I am trying my hardest and I am attending to job corps but it’s hard to stay focus I see a lot of people coming home early and I just be so sad