Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Georgia should be posted here.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:46 PM

Default PIC Points and Last Minute Release date

My Fiance's counselor told him it looks like he'll be going home around April 21st. But his TPM still shows Oct 2017. He said a lot of the guys found out they were going home a week before their release date. To me this is ridiculous how are we suppose to plan anything and make sure everything is taken care of? I'm so frustrated with the system and how they work. The family is not the one that got in trouble but we still have to suffer. I am curious if anyone elses LO has a TPM of this year and if and when they applied the PIC points and got a release date.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2017, 06:21 PM

Be happy he gets out before his max date.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:07 AM

Thanked 1,483 Times in 595 Posts

I would be over the moon if they said my son was being released early. I know it's frustrating especially if there are special requirements to him being released but the system does the craziest things. My son is due to be released next February & there's no TPM posted for him. He doesn't get PIC points because his sentence was 24 months. If it was 25 months, he'd be home already. Crazy! Get ready for him to come home & good luck!!
Old 03-29-2017, 09:18 AM

My loved one is not eligible for early release due to her charge. Because of that statutory requirement she is unlikely to know her TPM until after her PED. She has a good number of PIC points, but we have no idea if they will be applied. To make things even more uncertain they are talking about changing the grid this summer. So I get your frustration.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jleighcam1001 View Post
My Fiance's counselor told him it looks like he'll be going home around April 21st. But his TPM still shows Oct 2017. He said a lot of the guys found out they were going home a week before their release date. To me this is ridiculous how are we suppose to plan anything and make sure everything is taken care of? I'm so frustrated with the system and how they work. The family is not the one that got in trouble but we still have to suffer. I am curious if anyone elses LO has a TPM of this year and if and when they applied the PIC points and got a release date.
Did you LO get released?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:59 PM

Since todays date is the 28, I'm not sure if you still need help.
Hi, my brothers original TPM was October this year. They moved it up to April. They didn't say what date in April. He found out about 3 weeks ago that he was going to be paroled out on April 26 (this past Wednesday).
I'm not sure of the situation about his PIC points.

Has your fiance given addresses to be approved for him to be paroled out to (where he will live?) If so (or even if not), you might be interested in our situation to be aware --

He is still there because of the prisons incompetence. His address to parole out to (his uncles house) was approved a week ago. Then, the night BEFORE he was suppose to leave, they come back and told him the address was not approved. I had to pull teeth to find out why, and the reason is that the parole officer who checked the address 'must not have' known the rules. All of the people I asked, they didn't even know the real reason!! Stupidness all around!!

They are letting him stay till he finds somewhere. Did you fiance complete the reentry program? If so, the prison is suppose to find him somewhere like a halfway house, transition center, etc IF the addresses he told them he wants to live were not approved.

But, if he does have somewhere, I understand what you are saying, that you don't have time to get things situated. And I found out, they just don't care.

My brothers counselor is saying that he and his family are suppose to find somewhere for him to go, even though the reentry program states THEY are suppose to do this. She just give him a sheet of paper with list of places and said good luck.

He is too scared to fight back about this. He doesn't want me to go above their heads to tell them they are not following their own laws and doing their job.
He said the prison he is at is one of those third party contracted prisons, and they more people in there, the more money they get. So that probably is the reason all this is happening.

He told me today that someone is finally helping him find somewhere to go. It's someone up above the counselor. It makes me sick that they are doing her job for her instead of making her do it herself. He said he has heard this is all she does.
Since he doesn't want me involved in helping him, there's nothing I can do.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:47 PM

You've gotten a lot further than me! His TPM is still showing October. he hasn't been released yet. And we know absolutely NOTHING. Every time I call the parole board they tell me the same thing. that his TPM Still shows October and that they are not obligated to award the PIC points. They won't tell me how I can find out if there is anything holding it up. They won't tell me if I can find out if his address is approved. They won't tell me a damn thing. They just tell me to keep checking the website to see if the TPM has been moved up. If his PIC points were awarded he would be home by now. It's a shame that he worked so hard to earn them and they won't even give them to him. He has done all the programs he is supposed to do. he's only been gone for 18 months so he doesn't have to go to a halfway house or anything. As for a reentry program, I don't know anything about it. My Fiance said he finally has a competent counselor and she does her job but he hasn't heard anything from her yet. He talked to her two weeks ago and she said she was going to look into his situation because we should have heard something by now. For all I know the parole board won't even look at his case again until October. it's not fair. They want these guys, and girls, to do better and work hard and better themselves and they do and the system just spits in their face practically. I don't care if I should be happy he'll be home soon. He's been gone long enough as it is. 18 months for some stupid trumped up charge on some bs he didn't even do and lost the whole first year of his daughter's life who is almost 16 months old now. This time you can't get back. I'm sorry but I"m running out of patience. And I've never been through anything like this and now that I know what the system is like I feel so very sorry for families and their loved ones that are incarcerated.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:25 AM

Any update on this? We are in the same situation.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:55 PM

Have you had any updates on your situation?

Has your loved one been released? If so, how has his release process been? Also, do they put him in the hole before his release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jleighcam1001 View Post
You've gotten a lot further than me! His TPM is still showing October. he hasn't been released yet. And we know absolutely NOTHING. Every time I call the parole board they tell me the same thing. that his TPM Still shows October and that they are not obligated to award the PIC points. They won't tell me how I can find out if there is anything holding it up. They won't tell me if I can find out if his address is approved. They won't tell me a damn thing. They just tell me to keep checking the website to see if the TPM has been moved up. If his PIC points were awarded he would be home by now. It's a shame that he worked so hard to earn them and they won't even give them to him. He has done all the programs he is supposed to do. he's only been gone for 18 months so he doesn't have to go to a halfway house or anything. As for a reentry program, I don't know anything about it. My Fiance said he finally has a competent counselor and she does her job but he hasn't heard anything from her yet. He talked to her two weeks ago and she said she was going to look into his situation because we should have heard something by now. For all I know the parole board won't even look at his case again until October. it's not fair. They want these guys, and girls, to do better and work hard and better themselves and they do and the system just spits in their face practically. I don't care if I should be happy he'll be home soon. He's been gone long enough as it is. 18 months for some stupid trumped up charge on some bs he didn't even do and lost the whole first year of his daughter's life who is almost 16 months old now. This time you can't get back. I'm sorry but I"m running out of patience. And I've never been through anything like this and now that I know what the system is like I feel so very sorry for families and their loved ones that are incarcerated.

Last edited by patchouli; 10-24-2017 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Merged 2 consecutive posts
Old 10-24-2017, 06:29 PM

No.. the new parole guidelines pushed his tpm back from march 2018 to march 2019
The Following User Says Thank You to Billiegirl567 For This Useful Post:
StoJac (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 06:32 PM

Unhappy Pic

Omg, this is so frustrating. My loved one TPM is August 2018, but he is confident that he will get out December 2017 based on his Pic points but, I'm so nervous he might not get out.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:31 AM

They are reviewing eveyones tpm based on the new parole guidelines. Charging you points for prior arreat instead of convictions... its messed up.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:42 PM

Billiegirl567,

My loved one TPM was just pushed back from August 2018 to May 2019. He completed all classes and even had 9-11 PIC points earned. He has been incarcerated since 10/2014 for a "First Degree Burglary/ Dwelling" charge and was sentence 10 years. I'm so furious about this and do you have any detail information about this? Why didn't they apply his PIC points?
Old 11-29-2017, 06:04 PM

The guidelines changed in July. They recalculated and they do not have to give them credit for their pic points. Whats the point on even giving them??
Google updated georgia parole guideline. This wont let me post a link.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:45 PM

Billiegirl567,

I'm with you, like why should they even give the PIC points then? What is your loved one new TPM date?
Old 11-30-2017, 08:59 AM

It was pushed back a whole year 4/2019
Old 11-30-2017, 09:08 AM

Billiegirl567,

My loved one was pushed back 5/2019.....I think that is just so unfair and will make them become even more angry and want to act out in rage...then in return they will get time added on for misbehavior.....Our system is just so backwards. So basically they did work detail and all of those classes for nothing? If there's not anymore classes for them to take to earn more PIC points they just sit in there basically until their time is closer?
Old 11-30-2017, 02:34 PM

Find me on fb billie shields oneill
Old 12-04-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoJac View Post
Billiegirl567,

I'm with you, like why should they even give the PIC points then? What is your loved one new TPM date?
When I was in, it was described to me like this.

The GDC is what awards you PIC points, and the Parole Board has the final say. Like they say, it's al about performance incentive... they want you to do good while you are in, and it gives you something to strive for.

I've seen some stuff about the new guidelines, but most everything in this state is backwards anyway!

Sorry about what you're going through!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:42 AM

Billiegirl567,

I sent you a message on FB this weekend. and my loved one new TPM is May 2019.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:10 AM

Thanked 1,483 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoJac View Post
Billiegirl567,

My loved one was pushed back 5/2019.....I think that is just so unfair and will make them become even more angry and want to act out in rage...then in return they will get time added on for misbehavior.....Our system is just so backwards. So basically they did work detail and all of those classes for nothing? If there's not anymore classes for them to take to earn more PIC points they just sit in there basically until their time is closer?
Have you contacted the DOC Pardons & Parole & asked about the change? There is also the Ombudsman's office that might be able to help. Here is a link to some info about that office- http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/InmateIn...sman/Ombudsman . You might also want to reach out to an advocacy group. The National Incarceration Association is based in the Atlanta area & they are working to help change conditions that affect those incarcerated & their loved ones. Their site is https://joinnia.com/

I know it's frustrating when they do everything right inside & still get treated the same. But remember that their behavior can help them have an easier time once released. If they're still going to be on parole, they might can use the good behavior to help them eventually ask to be released early.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:49 PM

Default 2017 Parole Guidlines

My husband’s incarceration began in November. I have completed tons of research because our attorney provided us with the new grid information and crime severity table. According to the grid he would have a TPM set for approx 17 months out although he was sentenced to 8 years. Our attorney is very reputable and stated that he fully expected my husband to be released before our appeals process was completed. HOWEVER, my research is indicating that there is no way to really know when his TPM will be. He’s eager to get home so he is also already working and taking classes to earn PIC points. We are trying to plan for the worse. What I have learned:
1.) According to the new legislation passed there is no longer a 1/3 sentence requirement. Parole eligibility now comes from the new risk to re-offend scale and the new crime severity chart. However, his counselor said all people are required to do at least 1/3 of their time.
2.) It looks like if you are a level VIII on the crime severity chart, you are not eligible for PIC points.
3.) Many crimes are not listed on the crime severity chart and there is no way to find out what the actual level is for a crime not listed unless you call the parol board. We have been given all kinds of contradictory information. Our attorney said he was a level IV. But he is being gridded on a level III. The counselor said he was now a level VI. Our attorney said he was not aware of that change. The severity chart says to find the crime most like the one on the chart but that is impossible if you are not a criminal defense attorney. You have a crime that follows under a specific code; but in that code of “similar crimes” there is a range from misdemeanor all the way to a serious felony.
4.) The most troubling issue that I am seeing is that the new guidelines seem to be retroactive. This means that with the numerous crimes that were moved to a level VIII, someone was originally incarcerated on a lesser level is now under the new guidelines. This seems to be pushing so many incarcerated loved ones’ TPM date further out and making no longer eligible for the PIC points they earned.
5.) While it is still too early to actually see a trend, it appears that the new guidelines are mostly being used to keep people in and they aren’t using the guidelines to help people get out quicker because it is still at the board’s discretion to accept or reject the guidelines. I have looked up numerous TPM’s as well as sentencing lengths and crime severity levels for numerous inmates and this is what I am seeing. Keep in mind that I do not know the risk to re-offend rating or if they have any DR’s. In addition to the risk to reoffend (low-mid-high), the grid also provides for the security status of the inmate (low-medium-high).

Please see the attached actual amended Georgia code with the new guidelines, and the crime severity level. You will see the crimes added and scratched through. I have also attached the new grid. There is also information about PIC points on the pardon and parole website that includes the part about being ineligible if the crime requires a certain percentage to be served and provides some level VIII crimes as examples.

I told my husband that basically there really is no way to really know when his TPM date will be..... just earn as many PIC points as possible and no DR’s.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 475-3-.05.3.2017.changes.1.pdf (167.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf 2017 CSL chart (Grid) (1).pdf (118.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-17-2017, 05:45 PM

My son was told by his very expensive attorney that he would only serve aboit 18 months of his 5yrs. That was March 2014. He had a tpm from very early on of April 2018 until the new guidelines. Now pushed back to April 2019. Which is one month over his 5 yrs.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiegirl567 View Post
My son was told by his very expensive attorney that he would only serve aboit 18 months of his 5yrs. That was March 2014. He had a tpm from very early on of April 2018 until the new guidelines. Now pushed back to April 2019. Which is one month over his 5 yrs.

How in the world is it over the sentencing time? That doesn’t make any sense. Have they given you any explanations?
Old 01-30-2018, 12:26 PM

They changed his tpm back..its now 4/2018. Parole officer showed up yesterday for his parole plan.