Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:51 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,213 Times in 2,287 Posts
Default Deadliest U.S. Prison Riot in 25 Years Shines Light on Inhumane Conditions

Deadliest U.S. Prison Riot in 25 Years Shines Light on Inhumane Conditions in Prisons Across Nation

"At least seven prisoners died and 17 were seriously injured after bloody violence broke out Sunday night at a maximum security prison in South Carolina. It was the deadliest prison riot in the United States in 25 years. A coroner said all of the prisoners were stabbed, slashed or beaten. "

https://www.democracynow.org/2018/4/...son_riot_in_25
Tinker8ell55 (04-17-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2018, 04:16 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,756 Times in 11,562 Posts

An inmate smuggled out some gruesome, extremely graphic photos of the riot's brutal aftermath, which have been published in an article by reporter Steve Horn.

State officials Monday blamed the carnage on a turf war between gangs over territory, money and contraband items like cellphones.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:51 AM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
An inmate smuggled out some gruesome, extremely graphic photos of the riot's brutal aftermath, which have been published in an article by reporter Steve Horn.

State officials Monday blamed the carnage on a turf war between gangs over territory, money and contraband items like cellphones.
Those photos and videos have been shared by a number of news sources and on social media. It's sad that we do not see these men in a humane manner. No one cared to think, this is someone's family.
*Da Princess* (04-21-2018), fbopnomore (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 06:58 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,515 Times in 1,525 Posts

That's what I thought as well... if I'd see my boyfriend laying in blood not moving I'd be completely hysterical and upset beyond belief.

But I do have a question, and please forgive me for being naive, why would inmates kill other inmates? Wasn't this against the "system" and the "conditions"?
Old 04-18-2018, 07:16 AM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzyMuffling View Post
That's what I thought as well... if I'd see my boyfriend laying in blood not moving I'd be completely hysterical and upset beyond belief.

But I do have a question, and please forgive me for being naive, why would inmates kill other inmates? Wasn't this against the "system" and the "conditions"?
Don't believe everything you're reading. SC has taken away all rec, job and educational programs. These men are lockdown for days, they've covered the windows with paint or metal coverings, they may have times when they're not allowed to shower for 3-4 days, and in times like these they're given 2 hard boiled eggs, a slice of bread, and juice/milk/water for a meal. Many of those who should not be in the same housing unit have been placed together. It's really bad here and it takes these incidences to happen before the attention is put on what's happening in the prisons. Unfortunately, the administration blames "violent offenders" and "cell phones" and neither was a factor in this case. It's been happening, this time it got way beyond their control and people died, again.
fbopnomore (04-18-2018), yourself (04-20-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 07:38 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,515 Times in 1,525 Posts

I haven't read much but I know what's given to the press is not always what was really happening.
Those conditions are seriously unacceptable and I get the protest, but why kill fellow inmates?
fbopnomore (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:55 AM

Thanked 1,090 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Those conditions are seriously unacceptable and I get the protest, but why kill fellow inmates?
Rational question, probably doesn't have a rational answer. My guess:

There are violent, dangerous people and society does need LEO and criminal justice and prisons because of that. This is a max security prison so those people are there. As choclgs reports there are also many inmates who should not be there and they are all treated like animals by too many people who don't give a shit. Before the smoke has even cleared, you have state officials making statements about how it's about gangs and territory and cellphones and contraband. Every one of those officials are ass buckets and should be fired immediately; their statements and attitude make it worse. Does not have to be that way but they have a powder keg. Anyone here surprised?

The riot starts for whatever reason. Then the killing. The guards are locked out of it waiting until major reinforcements arrive. Inmates are on their own for potentially a very long time. I have to believe that now, no matter who you are as an inmate, you have to be prepared to kill to survive. So more killing happens. The "rational" answer at that point for killing other inmates is so you don't get killed.

I cannot imagine.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
choclgs (04-18-2018), fbopnomore (04-18-2018), Lordbew/us (04-18-2018), MizzyMuffling (04-18-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 05:22 AM

Horrible place how ever it is a violent prison,and the inhumane conditions have caused more violence.Gangs are usually the evilest and most dangerous prisoners so this is no surprise. I believe the prison officials need to make conditions more humane,locking people up in cages causes incidents like these.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:07 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,138 Times in 7,430 Posts

Quote:
Same reason people riot in their own neighborhoods and cities, burning and looting in places like Furguson.

In prisons that treat people worse than animals, people who need to be locked away forever as "criminals" rather than any sort of rehabilitation, where all populations are mixed together whether they can work and play well with others or not, where the food, the access to daylight, the access to basic hygiene, the access to the most basic aspects that create a secure human being who can then work on himself to correct problems and address issues - those guys do not have access to the parking lot where they can take out minor frustrations by keying some CO's car. They don't have rec where they can burn off frustration constructively. They aren't being listened to, grievances and wrongs are not being met.

It is a descent into madness where the smallest spark can set off a Forrest fire. Here, it obviously exploded a powder keg. The same impetus that can cause an individual in suicide can send an entire population into self destruction as well.

We, as families, friends, loved ones, are just lucky that it wasn't worse.

And don't expect a lot of sympathy for the families, friends, and loved ones in this post, "get tough on crime" era, where all criminals should be warehoused with nothing until they rot - politicians and the general public looks upon family, friends, and loved ones as somehow complicit in the creation of most inmates.

With every program, right, meal, service we strip away from inmates, we strip away some of states society's humanity. When we don't view food, clothes, housing, medical care as rights in society, they get resented and stripped away in prisons by people who somehow view them as entitlements. Budget saving entitlements. Profit producing (for private prisons) entitlements that can and should be stripped away as part of that punishment.

This saddens me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
*Da Princess* (04-21-2018), choclgs (04-20-2018), fbopnomore (04-20-2018), Lordbew/us (04-20-2018), MizzyMuffling (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 04:23 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Same reason people riot in their own neighborhoods and cities, burning and looting in places like Furguson.

In prisons that treat people worse than animals, people who need to be locked away forever as "criminals" rather than any sort of rehabilitation, where all populations are mixed together whether they can work and play well with others or not, where the food, the access to daylight, the access to basic hygiene, the access to the most basic aspects that create a secure human being who can then work on himself to correct problems and address issues - those guys do not have access to the parking lot where they can take out minor frustrations by keying some CO's car. They don't have rec where they can burn off frustration constructively. They aren't being listened to, grievances and wrongs are not being met.

It is a descent into madness where the smallest spark can set off a Forrest fire. Here, it obviously exploded a powder keg. The same impetus that can cause an individual in suicide can send an entire population into self destruction as well.

We, as families, friends, loved ones, are just lucky that it wasn't worse.

And don't expect a lot of sympathy for the families, friends, and loved ones in this post, "get tough on crime" era, where all criminals should be warehoused with nothing until they rot - politicians and the general public looks upon family, friends, and loved ones as somehow complicit in the creation of most inmates.

With every program, right, meal, service we strip away from inmates, we strip away some of states society's humanity. When we don't view food, clothes, housing, medical care as rights in society, they get resented and stripped away in prisons by people who somehow view them as entitlements. Budget saving entitlements. Profit producing (for private prisons) entitlements that can and should be stripped away as part of that punishment.

This saddens me.
It's not surprising to me as you've stated about those feeling we need to be tough on crime and their attitudes towards those who are incarcerated. I've heard people say that because these men were in prison (especially after local news media released their public records from court and DOC), they deserved this because of the crimes they committed and the "what do you expect, they're in prison" attitudes.

I'm frustrated by the state's government because they've been told time again what's been happening for years. If the director says it's contraband that's what they accepted, even as more riots and deaths happened. It took this time for them to say they want to take a deeper look into it.