Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of New Jersey, including lockdowns.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:54 PM

Default CRAF Questions

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know if they receive stamps at craf, and how long before he can call me. Is it true no cell phone calls? Has anyone had any success with google voice?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2013, 12:47 PM

Hi Catherine,

I just heard from my fiance who was transferred to CRAF last Thursday. They are not allowed to call cellphones, you must get a home phone and setup an account with Global Tell Link, you put money under your house number and then they are able to call you.

My fiance said that things aren't half bad, the food is better, they are in two man cells, they only receive one hour a day which they are allowed to leave their cells in which time they have to shower and attempt to use the phone, he said there is only one phone working where you first arrive "downstairs" and then after a few days you are transferred "upstairs".

He said he saw people there from County who had left over 3 weeks ago so I don't anticipate this moving quickly. But overall he didn't sound to stressed so it's not as bad as you imagine. If you have the ability to make a call though be prepared to have alot of people asking him to have you make a call on their behalf.

All the best.

Alex
The Following User Says Thank You to Alexxxy101 For This Useful Post:
CatherineH (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 PM

Hi Catherine,

My love was at craf for about 3 weeks. I didn't hear from him for the first 2 weeks he was there. He had to submit a phone list and it took about a week to get approved. Like Alex said, you have to have a land line phone. I don't know about Google Voice, I think it's a call forwarding service and it may not work. As far as the stamps go, My love said he got enough stuff to write two letters, including 2 prepaid envelopes. I received one letter from him from CRAF, but I didn't get it until after he was out of there for a few days. Like Alex said, once you get a phone number approved, be prepared to have people ask him to make a call. I'd use caution with that. My love asked me to do it and I did and it worked out ok, but the more I thought about it, I probably shouldn't have gotten involved. For all you know, they could have you call someone that they may not be allowed to contact and it could become a legal issue. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my contact with my love, so I won't likely do it again.

Best of luck! Not too many people post on here, but if you scroll through, most of my questions were answered. It is nice to know there are others going through the same thing!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jrsygrl70605 For This Useful Post:
CatherineH (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:46 PM

Thank you so much I just ordered a land line today and I received a letter as well, conditions sound pretty rough...I hope my number gets approved quickly I read on the doc website its every 90 days for phone list approvals I hope that's not right. The waiting is the worst but at least I know he is ok. Thank you again!!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:25 AM

The numbers you add while your at CRAF follow you to State Prison, so if you dont add a number when you get to CRAF and you want to add it later you have the ability to add numbers to your approved list every 90 days.

Don't do three ways or google voice, it's not worth the risk. There are some inexpensive internet based phone providers out there.

Alex