Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Questions, Questions SAFP

My husband is at Johnston SAFP. Anyone know about this facitlity? I know I should call before to make sure he is able to have visits and such. At visitations do they allow you to use the restrooms when you want. How long are the visits? Which days are better to visit Saturdays or Sundays!?! Sorry for so many questions!!!!

Also he is already showing up in the system but his projected release date is not showing up in the system yet when will it show up??

HE'S HOME!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2007, 08:36 AM

I might can help alittle. The Johnson Unit is 16 miles from me.
My boyfriend was there in 2002. At that time the SAPF program
was 1 year with halfway house for three months. Now at that
time he wasn't my boyfriend, my best friend's brother. I didn't
visit him while he was there. She told me alot about it. Seems
like you get extra time for visitation if you take some kind of
counseling thing before. It's a nice facility, I have a friend
that I graduated with and she is a guard there. I don't like the
SAFP program. My boyfriend just finished up his second go
round, this time it was 6 months at Glossbrenner. Call the
unit they can help you
Old 02-16-2007, 08:48 AM

MBB-Thanks for relpying and helping me answer my questions. Im hoping this place is not as strict. Im more then willing to go to couseling there. Im just worried he hasnt called but im sure he cant though. Im hoping to hear something soon.

HE'S HOME!

Old 02-16-2007, 08:49 AM

Oh and this facitlity is 2 hours from me. Not to bad.

HE'S HOME!

Old 02-16-2007, 10:55 AM

The SAFP programs are strict, but it's not strict like it needs
to be they strip you of your dignity, your pride and the idea
is to then build you back up, sorry I'm not buying I work for
the state health department in our county for over 20 years
alot of the same issues we see. Private rehab works much
better for most people. It's really just an extension of the
prison system they call it rehab but not in my opinion, like I
said my boyfriend has just finished his second time. Great guy
he is an addict. I pray he has learned, he's no kid, he was in the
army so the boot camp thing like SAFP didn't bother him
they just don't offer extensive counceling that they need for
alcohol or drugs. Just my opinion, but been here two times.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:49 PM

yes you are right Safp is a very mean program they put the offenders in and it does them zero good Safp is a joke
Old 02-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Mom of an EX-Inmate

Visits are 2 hours, Saturday or Sunday. Yes you can use the restroom, or we could at Halbert, Womens's SAFP. But the offender can not. If they have to go during a visit - the visit is ended!

It will not show a projected release date since he is in SAFP. It probably has something like 0101. They will not give a release date even on the status line after their certificate is printed due to the HIPPA law. He will know about a month ahead of time. Once he completes the SAFP he will have to stay there if he has to wait for space at a halfway house.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:31 AM

Pami you said it all but on my niece 's out date it shows not available maybe because she is probation and not parolee
Old 02-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,161 Times in 731 Posts
Smile

My son was also at Glossbrenner - the visits were two hours between eight and five on Saturday or Sunday. If you register for the family group that lasts for an hour your visit is extended. We were allowed the restroom as was he. We tried to go at the same time so that we didn't miss any precious minutes of visit! I always went for the first round of visits on Saturday morning - around 8:00 - because it wasn't as crowded and easier to carry on conversation. We were permitted physical contact when he first came out and at the end of the visit. You can hold hands across the table during the visit. But there were many times when I got up to go to the vending machines that I'd come back and kiss him on the top of the head and nothing was said. Much depended on the c/o's present. I always made the effort to greet them and be friendly.

As was already stated his release date will not show. He must pass his staffing about midway through the program before he'll receive a tentative prd to the h/way house. It's possible that once he completes the program he may leave sooner if there's availability but also a set back waiting for availability.

Yes, it's a very strict program. I'm fortunate that my son seems to have benefitted from the program itself and lets me know in no uncertain terms that he doesn't want to return to it! If it works, that's okay with me though I may not approve of much of the discipline part.

Janice

"Though I am surrounded by troubles, You will bring me safely through. Your fist is clenched against my enemies. Your power will save me."

Old 02-17-2007, 12:18 PM

Janice- How do you register for the group classes? Will they let you take kids to these classes? I know he is dying to see our boys. I know they will let me take them to visit him but I wasnt sure about the classes. Are they everytime you go? Did you call the facility to make sure he could have visits? Again sorry for all the questions!?

HE'S HOME!

Old 02-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,161 Times in 731 Posts
Smile

Well, at Glossbrenner we would get there early and the first family class was held at 9:00 or so. When we first got there we would ask them to let us know when sign up for the class was because there was limited space. Several times Stephen and I let go of our space so that a family with children could attend. I believe they were at nine and one in the afternoon.

I usually brought a baggie with some tissues and my quarters for the vending machines. The machines there were usually well stocked and worked.

Hon, don't apologize for the questions! Someone once answered them for me!

Janice

"Though I am surrounded by troubles, You will bring me safely through. Your fist is clenched against my enemies. Your power will save me."

Old 02-18-2007, 02:56 PM

Valerie,

Hi again! Janice is right don't apologize for asking questions, it is how we all survived the journey. Johnston might be different from Glossbrenner regarding the times they have the family counseling, but from what I have seen each unit offers them. They do extended your visit by an hour. PM me again when you know you are going and I will help with what I did my first visit, etc. I do hope you get to go next weekend.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:24 AM

Sandy,
Im hoping to go real soon. I just need to call the unit to make sure my mom and his mom are on the list. I want to go with my mom first then I will take his mom in a couple of weeks. Only because something always comes up when we want to go see him.

HE'S HOME!

Old 02-20-2007, 09:00 AM

When B. went to SAFP this last time, his PRD was his one from before
when he was at a regular unit 6-26-07. They aren't allowed to
put a release date on there because of HIPPA and drug treatment.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:33 AM

MBB- IS there a certain you can call to the unit. I called on Saturday (the lady was very nice) she just said to call during the week from 8-5 to see if I am on the visiting list. But im not sure if I call the same number or not.!?

HE'S HOME!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:05 PM

Hi, I am extremely new to this-my husband just got sentenced to SAFEP this afternoon and I have been trying to read the posts here to find out anything I can. All I know is he is waiting in county lock-up until he gets an empty bed and he will be special needs. They said it could take 90 to 120 days for him to go. How long does it really take? Is there any loopholes to get him in faster? I know there are different SAFEP facilities, so how will we know which one he will get sent to? Do they go by region or what? He is suppose to be on suicide watch at the county jail, but the guards there are really jerks and probably don't care. This was his first offense and he has never spent more than a few hours in jail (when he was arrested). I know his head is really messed up right now & I hate not being able to be there for him. I would appreciate any help with answering my questions-we really weren't expecting this.

babydoll_310
Old 02-22-2007, 08:31 AM

Babydoll_310- I am new to the SAFP thing also. From what I seen on here alot of people wait about 3-4 months to go to SAFP. My husband got very lucky and wait about a month and a half. I think this was because Dallas County needed to start releasing and letting inmates go where they needed. He is there now. I have not heard from him yet because I think he has to wait 30 days to write or have commisary. I plan on going to see him this weekend. If he is able to have visits. I can keep you updated on what I experiance. I have met some wonderful people on here who have experianced this all..and are very helpful.

HE'S HOME!