Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:43 PM

Default questions, questions, questions

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but hopefully someone will have some information. My son is in the camp at Florence. There is multiple facilities there. If one facility goes on lockdown, does it affect the others or is each facility seperate when it comes to something like that. Just wondering. Also how often can an inmate write and send mail. Is it anytime or only once a week. Also, we are trying to keep my sons business going so he has something to come home to. We are really struggling and have some questions that need answers to or it is going to fold. Could we be writing and asking him questions that could get him in trouble. We haven't heard anything back yet and he should have been able to call by now according to the one letter we did get. We thought we would have at least received a second letter by now. His restitution amount was determined by his business and I don't think he'll have anything to come home to. If the business does go under, will they redetermine his restitution payments based on whatever he does when he gets out? Sorry so many questions.....
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2007, 07:53 PM

Not a dumb question at all. All of the facilities in Florence are stand-alone, although the camp is now run by the ADX. If one goes on lockdown, the other three run normal operations. It doesn't affect them at all. He should be able to write as much as he wants as long as he has the stamps to send the letters out. Be careful what you write to your son about his business. He can get in trouble for "conducting a business" while in prison. If they catch him, he could end up in the hole, lose his phone privileges, lose his visiting privileges, lose his good conduct time. If he is caught running a business, they will monitor his mail for the duration of his incarceration meaning every letter that he sends and receives will be gone over with a fine tooth comb and photo copied. They will also monitor him everytime he uses the phone. Just be careful. I'm sure he doesn't want to be under the microscope or get written up. I hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,490 Posts

I can't answer all your questions but inmates are not allowed to conduct business while incarerated. Other than speaking to him in person, he can't advise much. If he has gotten in trouble for this, I suppose eventually he can write you and tell you. Since he just went in, he probably hasn't gotten in trouble, but hasn't gotten through orientation smoothly. There are people here with loved onesin Florence. Check them out. Probably best that you not refer to his business when writing anymore. Regarding restitution, it is based on the charges and loss, not the business income. Good luck with everything sounds like you have quite a plateful.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,380 Times in 4,637 Posts

I had heard that rule, about inmates not conducting business from inside. I am wondering if anyone can point me to the actual BOP policy # so I could read the exact wording of the rule? Or is a requirement that is outlined in the Court's Order?? And just as a side comment on this issue - it can be authorized by the BOP case manager for an inmate to conduct business relating to settlement of an inheritance/probate matter. Z.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:27 PM

New Here,too My Son Is At Fci Florence. Called Last Night Said He Waited To Get Phone Card Til The First Because Min.dont Roll Over.conselor Can Give One Free Call.he Has Wrote Once .hope This Helps.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 PM

thank you for all your quick responses. he has actually turned the business over to his wife, but has left with so many unanswered questions on how certain things work. I would hope they would understand that he isn't actually running the business, just answering our questions on some things he forgot to tell us about. I made a mistake on the restitution, I meant they based his payment amount for payback on what he made on the business. sorry for that. his business is a wireless internet company and we don't know how to fix a piece of equipment that went down.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Donation Award 

Mamatried - just for your information (and you son's), the minutes don't roll over from month to month but the funds on the account do. So no need to wait until after the 1st of the month to put more funds on the phone account. They do not pay for minutes in advance. They just transfer money to the phone account and the money is deducted as they use the minutes (up to 300/month). Z.

Last edited by Zelda50; 02-02-2007 at 11:06 AM..
Old 02-02-2007, 02:58 PM

thanks zelda50.i think he understood that.it was me that didnt.so much new stuff to remember and keep straight. also we run a small business and our son worked with us and will when he returns home. we always try to include him in whats going on with it on the phone.do you think this is ok. him and his dad love to talk work.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Donation Award 

You have to be very careful about talking about business. General information - maybe. Like, I've been working my butt off and we're doing O.K. Or - I've been working hard and really enjoying it and Buddy says hi. But they should stay away from the inmate giving advice about the business or giving directives on what to do - or your son asking him - especially about financial aspects. This is from what I've heard - I still haven't seen the exact written policy of the BOP on this subject - and would like to, if anyone knows where it is or could post it or a link to it. Z.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:18 PM

Well I'm sure it is going to fold, we have just been telling everyone to go somewhere else. What a shame to lose so much over such a petty thing. They take away the head of the business, so it fails and leaves the wife and four kids with nothing to live on while they are gone and then they require money to be sent to the inmate from the family. Makes no sense. So much devestation. Now the guy that put him in prison wants to trade some of his equipment for the restitution. Ya right. He's just trying to get it all. Can you believe he called my sons wife to make a deal and said he was sorry, he really didn't want him to go to prison, ya right, he stood right in court and asked the judge to throw the book at him. what a two faced liar. he just wants everything. He doesn't care. A lot of people feel sorry for my son and wish the guy who pursued it was the one sent to prison. I say he put him in prison, well he can get him out and then we will talk about giving him some of the company's equipment. He just can't stand any competition, wanted the whole town to himself.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Donation Award 

Sorry you all are going through such tough times and still have to deal with that other guy. I do want to say that the BOP does not require you to send him money. They do provide for his basic needs, so you need to be really honest with yourself and him about what, if any, funds you can afford to send him while you are struggling so much. A roof over your heads, food on the table, and clothes for your children - that should come first. I'm sure there are others here, who've been right where you are, who can tell you how they struggled at first and found ways to make it through and found themselves stronger for it. And closer as a family, valuing the love and understanding over all else. We do weep tears through this experience but we also learn to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and keep on truckin'. When things feel tough, take a walk and find something beautiful in the world to inspire you. Z.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:05 PM

I know you are right Zelda, it is just so sad to be going through so much because of another person's stupid mistake. I know we'll make it because we don't have any other choice.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:39 PM

Default I know how you are feeling

Cottagegal, I know exactly how you are feeling. My husband, the soul breadwinner to our family of 7(we have 5 young kids) was sentenced to 12 years for a stupid mistake. I still am feeling the tremendous stress of how to keep us afloat. It can be unbearable at times, but somehow I seem to get through another day. Zelda is absolutely right when she says that we don't have to send them money, but I know that you are feeling that you need to to make the transition easier on him. I am the same way. My husband pleads with me to not send money. He says "I am ok, I have everything I need". His concerns are with me and the kids, but I am the one who feels the need to "take care of him". Try to focus on the family and keeping them taken care of, he needs that the most.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:06 AM

Default Generally no

Generally prisons maintain their own distinctions when it comes to lock downs and such. I have served ten years in Michigan and have been through numerous lock downs and nearly always the lock down is localized to the specific facility. There are some instances when there may be an aberration to that rule such as when the not guilty ruling came down for O.J. Simpson and prison officials had some state wide concerns about how some may react to a broad issue such as that.
So unless the problem is a statewide issue of some severity than I doubt that the lock down would include any other prison.