Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & events Please use this forum to share information concerning Covid -19 in Arizona, including institutions affected and lock downs. Please do not discuss individuals who have the virus.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:06 PM

Default Covid-19/N614 This pathogen is serious

N614 is a mutated version of the Wuhan strain that has a stronger spike to penetrate the primary ACE protein that takes blood/O2 to our lungs. Why is this important? The stronger spike makes it 10 times more infectious. This new and improved version can also cause blood platelets to become hyper active this can cause strokes and heart attacks. This puts a whole of already at risk folks at even greater risk - with no one in DOC listening. Ask the 500 in San Quentin that tested positive. I see the staff are masked, but what about the inmates that in the dorms are stacked within 3 feet of each other?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2020, 04:36 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,100 Posts

I cannot find any information on a new strand. Can you please provide where you are getting this from?
The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
marco1969 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 04:57 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,903 Times in 13,719 Posts

Google "covid 19 mutation" to find numerous, different articles.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:02 PM
Полезный дурак

This is the scientific article on that has been at the root of the media reports in regard to D614 — the new mutation. It has been accepted for publication in peer reviewed „Cell” so it can be viewed as reliable. Please format to suit & sorry for posting in Arizona forum.

https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(20)30817-5.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-03-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,399 Times in 3,198 Posts

piedpiper - I don't see anything either on the N. Please provide link to where you got your information.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:08 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne Plach’ View Post
This is the scientific article on that has been at the root of the media reports in regard to D614 — the new mutation. It has been accepted for publication in peer reviewed „Cell” so it can be viewed as reliable. Please format to suit & sorry for posting in Arizona forum.

https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(20)30817-5.pdf
I saw this one. It is highly spreadable, but not deadly. I did not see the one mentioned above.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:49 PM
Полезный дурак

I only mentioned that paper cause it was timely about the discussion on a new mutation / isolate. It is making headlines. It could have been a wrong assumption. My apologies.

If anyone is interested in the new mutations [and have a scientific understanding] the website Nextstrain updates information as it is released by the public health agencies. It is updated until 26.06 right now and unless OP is on the front lines in the lab, I am unsure how this is known.

I looked up „614” and there were „similar” matches, but nothing exact. There is no „N” [as I expected] though Wuhan - types are generally acknowledged as „O”. Such as „USA/MI-MDHHS-SC206614/2020” This means that there was a mutation in the virus genome [as expected as it is a living thing], but not an isolate or mutation that will go on to create a new „super type” of the virus.

The other point that could have got mixed into the news cycle is that the University of Utah, American Heart Foundation, and NIH released a study 3 days ago [see: Blood academic journal] that noted that the virus does cause blood clots due to inflammatory proteins as an immune response. None of this mentioned any new sort of mutation, but rather factors related to the cytokine storm and rate of viral replication.

What the OP argues is correct in that there is a surface strike at glycoprotein 614, but that has already been known in the study of D614G.

Sorry, but as a public health program person, we eat / sleep / dream this stuff. Hope it ends soon. I, too, await the source to see relevant information in regard to this claim.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:50 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
I only mentioned that paper cause it was timely about the discussion on a new mutation / isolate. It is making headlines. It could have been a wrong assumption. My apologies.

If anyone is interested in the new mutations [and have a scientific understanding] the website Nextstrain updates information as it is released by the public health agencies. It is updated until 26.06 right now and unless OP is on the front lines in the lab, I am unsure how this is known.

I looked up „614” and there were „similar” matches, but nothing exact. There is no „N” [as I expected] though Wuhan - types are generally acknowledged as „O”. Such as „USA/MI-MDHHS-SC206614/2020” This means that there was a mutation in the virus genome [as expected as it is a living thing], but not an isolate or mutation that will go on to create a new „super type” of the virus.

The other point that could have got mixed into the news cycle is that the University of Utah, American Heart Foundation, and NIH released a study 3 days ago [see: Blood academic journal] that noted that the virus does cause blood clots due to inflammatory proteins as an immune response. None of this mentioned any new sort of mutation, but rather factors related to the cytokine storm and rate of viral replication.

What the OP argues is correct in that there is a surface strike at glycoprotein 614, but that has already been known in the study of D614G.

Sorry, but as a public health program person, we eat / sleep / dream this stuff. Hope it ends soon. I, too, await the source to see relevant information in regard to this claim.
Can you break it down in layman terms? Lol you're so much more well versed in this area than I.
The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Ne Plach’ (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 09:41 PM
Полезный дурак

Hihihi, I will do my best.

Viruses always mutate when they are spread. It is a living thing and as it infects and then transmits, it gains some genetic diversity. As you are aware, there are discussions that there are 2 types of COVID - 19: the Wuhan type and the European type. Epidemiologists, infectious disease doctors and researchers conclude that the differences are very small, so the viruses will continue to act alike.

Just cause there is a mutation, it does not mean there is a drastic change, such as a new type. For what it is worth, this matters in regard to questions over vaccines.

For the sake of study and data, public health and researchers keep track of these mutations, and they get numbered. Nextstrain does this with a variety of viruses and you can look at identified mutations. I search that place by continent and did not find any „N614” besides that number showing up as part of a larger number, but nothing specific, like a certain new type.

Blood clots and strokes in hospitalized patients has been an issue early on in treating COVID patients. This is not new and doctors continue to study why. The article in „Blood” argues that the massive immune response from the body to fight the virus causes the certain proteins [that come with an immune response] cause certain blood platelets to go crazy, and in doing so, cause blood clots.

And so, this has been found in patients in the USA, Europe, and China already — so no new type as mentioned. It is another side - effect of the disease in general.

To explain the surface strike, there is a Washington Post article. It explains it simply, but also reiterates points by the OP.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...e/?arc404=true

Yes, the virus is mutating, but it not a new type. And further, it highlights this development as D614G — the type from „Cell” article. And like you said, easier to infect, not necessarily more deadly.

Since it can infect easier, it will be able to cause a big immune response, which subsequently leads to the blood clots.

Every thing ties together, except the N16 name. Still would like to see that source.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-03-2020), onedayatatime13 (07-03-2020), patchouli (07-02-2020), SympatheticSis (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 06:33 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Hihihi, I will do my best.

Viruses always mutate when they are spread. It is a living thing and as it infects and then transmits, it gains some genetic diversity. As you are aware, there are discussions that there are 2 types of COVID - 19: the Wuhan type and the European type. Epidemiologists, infectious disease doctors and researchers conclude that the differences are very small, so the viruses will continue to act alike.

Just cause there is a mutation, it does not mean there is a drastic change, such as a new type. For what it is worth, this matters in regard to questions over vaccines.

For the sake of study and data, public health and researchers keep track of these mutations, and they get numbered. Nextstrain does this with a variety of viruses and you can look at identified mutations. I search that place by continent and did not find any „N614” besides that number showing up as part of a larger number, but nothing specific, like a certain new type.

Blood clots and strokes in hospitalized patients has been an issue early on in treating COVID patients. This is not new and doctors continue to study why. The article in „Blood” argues that the massive immune response from the body to fight the virus causes the certain proteins [that come with an immune response] cause certain blood platelets to go crazy, and in doing so, cause blood clots.

And so, this has been found in patients in the USA, Europe, and China already — so no new type as mentioned. It is another side - effect of the disease in general.

To explain the surface strike, there is a Washington Post article. It explains it simply, but also reiterates points by the OP.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...e/?arc404=true

Yes, the virus is mutating, but it not a new type. And further, it highlights this development as D614G — the type from „Cell” article. And like you said, easier to infect, not necessarily more deadly.

Since it can infect easier, it will be able to cause a big immune response, which subsequently leads to the blood clots.

Every thing ties together, except the N16 name. Still would like to see that source.
Thank you! This was very easy to understand. Some people are stating g this is more of a blood disease than a virus, but that may contingent upon how the body's immune system responds to the foreign substance that has entered.

When things get overally technical, my brain doesn't absorb the information. Thank you for summizing it for me.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:40 PM

I didn't generate the post to foster any debate but for information only. In fact the information as presented is accurate and borne out by medical professionals.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,399 Times in 3,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedpiper View Post
I didn't generate the post to foster any debate but for information only. In fact the information as presented is accurate and borne out by medical professionals.

I understand that but you still need to provide a source of where you got the information. That's so much easier for us to verify and also so no one goes off on a wild goose chase trying to find it.