Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Georgia should be posted here.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:53 PM

Default Yes/No: Send Parole letter

Has anyone written a letter to GA Parole about your LO? GA DOC said his 1/3 is on July 20, 2020 & parole will look at possible setting his TPM. Any successful stories you’ve experienced w wife/family writing parole board? All help would be greatly appreciated! I’ve heard, “no, they don’t care” & to “yes, take chances,” write them for his file! His stats: First felony, Non-Violent; 3y sentenced. Also judge approved First Offender on his case!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2020, 09:50 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,116 Times in 17,124 Posts

Hi MCV, I'm not in Georgia, but I've written the KY Parole Board on My Mr's behalf - 3 times. He's made parole all 3 times (yeah, don't ask ). Does it help? I like to think it does but I can't say for sure. I can say that all three times he earned his parole by working, taking classes, attending meetings (AA) & staying out of trouble.

If you decide to write the Board, do not make any excuses for his behavior (he was high; he was an addict, he was with "the wrong people; wrong place wrong time; etc etc et all). The Board likes to hear accountability, actions taken to be a better person (classes/programs completed; therapy; GED / employable skills); how they're going to stay focused on staying out of prison (enroll in college; skills that will help him find employment; cintinuing w/therapy or AA; support if/when released. Support from friends & family include: Housing, employment opportunities, transportation, encouragement.

Good luck! I hope he is home soon

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Bikerguy (06-21-2020), fbopnomore (06-21-2020), GingerM (06-21-2020), MCV (06-21-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 07:18 AM

I wrote the parole board of a different state too. The warden immediately took him for a conversation where she offered him some classes and is trying to get him to camp, etc. It was clear she had read the letters. Concentrate on what happens upon release. Where will the stay, jobs they can have, counseling if appropriate. A support structure is what matters.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jacob's Girl For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-21-2020), GingerM (06-21-2020), MCV (06-21-2020), patchouli (06-21-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 04:38 PM

Thanked 2,276 Times in 896 Posts

It's great that he has 1st offender & can get parole. I've heard mixed opinions about if a parole packet helps or not. If he has kept his nose clean while incarcerated & since it's his 1st felony with 1st Offender status he should have a good chance of getting parole especially if he has a strong family/community support.
I put together a Moving Forward parole guide (with how to examples) for the National Incarceration Association advocacy group. If you want, I can send you a copy of it. I don't think it's posted on the NIA website yet. Also, the Southern Center For Human Rights did a parole guide that explains the process & answers a lot of questions you might ask. Theirs is at https://www.schr.org/wp-content/uplo...dbook-2015.pdf
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
GingerM (06-22-2020), Jacob's Girl (06-21-2020), MCV (06-21-2020), patchouli (06-21-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 09:23 PM

Thank you all so much for responses; patchouli, Jacob’s Girl & GaReform in reaching out to me! Your insight to this means a lot! ❤️ This site has been such a comfort in time of need. I hope after this process I can help others in answering questions.

Three times parole approved? AMAZING! And the warden read your letter! WOW! Y’all are pros at writing! Yes GaReform, please send me whatever formats you have! I spent 5 hours writing one, but I’d like to see another’s view. Add anything pertinent I may have missed. I definitely focused on his positive attributes & him taking accountability.
(He hasn’t been in prison long enough to do any classes. He served 8 mos in conviction county. Bonded out. Went back to court where he immediately went to same county jail March 5th - May 22. Then has been at GDC since May 22. He said he is done there & waiting for a transfer but with COVID a lot has been delayed.)
I just focused on trustee & plans when he gets out of what his goals are. Btw are small details ok to add? I will have his mom & sister write one. I also plan to ask previous his employer (he had to quit before he went in; she understood & said if he needed help let her know) So yes any formats would really help! Yes he has stayed out of trouble. I put in there he served as trustee pretty much the whole 3 mos before being transferred to GDC. Literally 5am-6pm. Sometimes doing night detail at 11pm. (Side note there were only 2 trustees up to 70+ inmates; I’m so proud of him!) I don’t know if parole knows this bc it didn’t shave off any time. Also heard through someone the jailers miss him bc he was hardworking, non-complaining. Does GA parole allow previous correctional officers/kitchen/laundry employees write recommendations? Jw.
I know it’s not easy to pin parole, but does parole look at First Offender as a quicker TPM? Can a PED (1/3) turn as a TPM?
Thank you all! I’m SO looking forward to writing on specific forum his TPM then his coming home date!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MCV For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-22-2020), Jacob's Girl (06-22-2020), patchouli (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 03:41 PM

Thanked 2,276 Times in 896 Posts

Most GDC employees won't commit to giving any recommendations even if they wish they could. If his record while incarcerated shows good behavior that's about all you get. But any classes he attended, any extra help he gave (tutoring others, bible study, etc) all is a plus. Keeping fingers crossed that you get good news soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
MCV (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 07:09 PM

We are unsure if the County let GDCP know the work he did. He repainted cells, did floors, pulled all of kitchen out and did a DEEP clean in kitchen. It’s like their word against him. But you know what. God saw & knows all. I trust in Him more than anything!
Old 06-25-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV View Post
Has anyone written a letter to GA Parole about your LO? GA DOC said his 1/3 is on July 20, 2020 & parole will look at possible setting his TPM. Any successful stories you’ve experienced w wife/family writing parole board? All help would be greatly appreciated! I’ve heard, “no, they don’t care” & to “yes, take chances,” write them for his file! His stats: First felony, Non-Violent; 3y sentenced. Also judge approved First Offender on his case!
Hi, I wrote the parole board for my husband. I am in Georgia, I wrote a total of 4 times. Each time I received a response, and my questions were answered. I waited until he had a year left. As of now his TPM changed on Monday June 15 to July 2020. On 25 June which was yesterday, the parole board called and verified his address. I would say email them it honestly doesn’t hurt, and it lets them see that he has a voice on the outside and someone that cares.
webmaster@pap.ga.gov
fbopnomore (06-26-2020), GaReform (06-26-2020), MCV (06-26-2020), patchouli (06-30-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 07:16 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,898 Times in 13,716 Posts

To show the parole board that he has a strong support system outside of the prison system, by having a few people write to the board, has to be a positive addition for their decision.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:35 PM

Thank you all for the response and encouragement! It means a lot to me; esp through this time.
It feels good to know ppl care.
Knowing this won’t last forever is what keeps me going!
I actually got our lawyer starting his parole packet Thurs & sent him my letter. (He said it was really good! But it’s true, my LO has amazing support & life goals! My LO wants to show he made a mistake. We are trying to get packet in before July 1st. We’ll see! I’m praying! God knows!
fbopnomore (06-27-2020), Jacob's Girl (06-26-2020), patchouli (06-30-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorelove18 View Post
Hi, I wrote the parole board for my husband. I am in Georgia, I wrote a total of 4 times. Each time I received a response, and my questions were answered. I waited until he had a year left. As of now his TPM changed on Monday June 15 to July 2020. On 25 June which was yesterday, the parole board called and verified his address. I would say email them it honestly doesn’t hurt, and it lets them see that he has a voice on the outside and someone that cares.
webmaster@pap.ga.gov
I’m so excited for you!!! Less than 1 month!! I was going to ask if GA PO visits or calls for residence verification? They can do both; call & visit my house. Question: does my LOs name “have” to be on lease agreement?
Old 06-30-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV View Post
I’m so excited for you!!! Less than 1 month!! I was going to ask if GA PO visits or calls for residence verification? They can do both; call & visit my house. Question: does my LOs name “have” to be on lease agreement?
Hi,
So the PO called on Wednesday and he verified the address over the phone. Today which is June 30,2020 my husband signed his release papers. I will be picking him up on Monday July 6, 2020. Your LO doesn’t need to be on the lease. Make sure his stuff is up to date. Because if he has been in before and they have an old address or phone number they will call that number first. So tell him to make sure he is updating his information whenever possible
fbopnomore (06-30-2020), GaReform (07-01-2020), GingerM (07-01-2020), Jacob's Girl (07-01-2020), MCV (07-01-2020), patchouli (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:23 PM

And thank you!! I’m very excited as well. This has been a long two years.. Now if Monday can hurry up so I can pick him up. I wish you all the best
fbopnomore (06-30-2020), MCV (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 08:46 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,116 Times in 17,124 Posts

Moorelove18: Whooo Hooo!! Congratulations on the July 6th Homecoming If you'd like to count down the last few days, make a thread in the Countdown forum....shoot, I'll count 'em down with ya! I do love a Homecoming Here is a link to that forum: The Countdown

MCV: Any jobs that he's had can be used on his resume in one way or another. If he doesn't want to list each job and the facility were he had that job, he can still add them to his job skills list on the resume

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
GaReform (07-01-2020), GingerM (07-01-2020), Jacob's Girl (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Hi,
So the PO called on Wednesday and he verified the address over the phone. Today which is June 30,2020 my husband signed his release papers. I will be picking him up on Monday July 6, 2020. Your LO doesn’t need to be on the lease. Make sure his stuff is up to date. Because if he has been in before and they have an old address or phone number they will call that number first. So tell him to make sure he is updating his information whenever possible
It’s his first time in, so the address & phone number he put is ours! So that makes me feel better! Thank you for dates it helps to get an idea! So about a week between the call, him signing release papers & you picking him up! Perfect! Thank you!
Old 07-01-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
And thank you!! I’m very excited as well. This has been a long two years.. Now if Monday can hurry up so I can pick him up. I wish you all the best
I AM SOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU BOTH! How exciting!!!!!! You’re welcome and I wish y’all the best to come! (2 years seems short but actually doing it, it’s not so short!)
Old 07-01-2020, 10:40 AM

If everything goes to plan & no delays; the lawyer will submit his parole packet tmrw 7/2!! I’ll keep y’all posted once I know what happens with it, but wondering if anyone has an idea on how much time will parole take off? I know nothing set exactly and they do what they want to do. What’s your experience with actual sentence vs TPM w parole packet.
GaReform (07-04-2020), GingerM (07-02-2020), patchouli (07-01-2020)