Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:44 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,271 Posts
Default Federal CO indicted on one charge of taking a bribe at FCI Yazoo City

Federal prison guard faces bribery indictment in Mississippi
ASSOCIATED PRESS | THE CLARION-LEDGER | 3:36 pm CDT October 10, 2018

A federal prison guard in Mississippi has been indicted on one charge of taking a bribe from an inmate. According to the indictment, Robinson accepted bribes from inmates at the Yazoo City Federal Correctional institution.

or the complete story please see this link

"
There is no question that in virtually all circumstances in which people are doing things in order to get rewards, extrinsic tangible rewards undermine intrinsic motivation." the New Scientist (12th April 2011, pp 40-43)

" Every life you touch, every fear or pain you ease, every loved ones' heart that you ease the burden from is the reason you are here."

Last edited by patchouli; 10-17-2018 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: fixed link to article
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2018, 02:58 AM

Link isn’t working

OWL
Old 10-17-2018, 03:39 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,375 Times in 1,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshardtowait View Post
Link isnít working
Google "clarionledger prison bribes" and it will take you to the paper's website. I would attach a link but mine is the European version so it would probably not connect for ya
Old 10-17-2018, 07:07 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,632 Times in 14,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshardtowait View Post
Link isnít working

It works now

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-17-2018), Itshardtowait (10-17-2018), Sarianna (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 08:31 AM

Thanked 1,133 Times in 570 Posts

Ironically, that goes to the point I was making yesterday about tobacco! Just let them have the cigarettes and a smoking area and then things like this would be less of an issue and they can focus on things that are an issue and do their jobs - well, maybe do their jobs.

Some of the bs and time wasting is just ridiculous.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,143 Times in 11,758 Posts

In one day, cigarettes went from $2.00 a pack at the commissary to the contraband price of over $100.00, and expensive "nicotine/stop smoking" products took their place.

Where else in the world could someone be facing a 15 year prison sentence for providing legal (anywhere except in the bop) cigarettes?
Old 10-17-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
In one day, cigarettes went from $2.00 a pack at the commissary to the contraband price of over $100.00, and expensive "nicotine/stop smoking" products took their place.

Where else in the world could someone be facing a 15 year prison sentence for providing legal (anywhere except in the bop) cigarettes?
So back in the day, they used to sell cigarettes in the commissary? Interesting.

I guess it's no different than when I was in high school and they used to have the smoking area outside for the "burn outs" as we called them.

I guess one argument could be that if they allow them to purchase and smoke cigarettes that the BOP health costs will increase since smoking does lead to higher rate of cancer and other medical issues, but come on, if a prisoner wants to smoke and kill themselves that way, that's on them, not on the people who are not smoking, nor want to be around it, but forced to inhale the second hand smoke, or forced to be in a room with the people who are smoking it, and risk getting a shot when it gets caught in the room of the smoker! I shake my head daily at the idiocy of some of the stupid rules.

This guy should definitely be charged btw, but the issue is that he took a bribe and he probably took it for other things as well, but we all know he is not the only one, and they really need to clean house and do something. Starting from the bottom up since we know nothing is happening from the top down!
Itshardtowait (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,143 Times in 11,758 Posts

Smoking was allowed outside, in a very few designated "smoking areas". Now that it is contraband, smoking (tobacco and drugs) moved into the rest rooms and cells.

I always suspected the truth of increased medical costs, since smokers die sooner, which shortens the time the bop has to provide their substandard medical care for anyone who doesn't outlive their prison sentences.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Smoking was allowed outside, in a very few designated "smoking areas". Now that it is contraband, smoking (tobacco and drugs) moved into the rest rooms and cells.

I always suspected the truth of increased medical costs, since smokers die sooner, which shortens the time the bop has to provide their substandard medical care for anyone who doesn't outlive their prison sentences.
Well, not like their medical care is anything to write home about, and they know they're smoking in the bathrooms and doing much worse than smoking, so it is all so stupid. Appearances maybe? Still stupid. I guess they could just say, "buyer beware" and tell them they won't be treating any ailments related to smoking if they are indeed smokers. That would safe them a lot of money I bet. Half the stuff they spend on medical tests is a waste anyway - i.e. making my husband get an x-ray to really confirm he actually broke his back in 2006 in a car accident, even though it was very clearly written in his PSR and confirmed by his probation officer who wrote up the PSR.
fbopnomore (Yesterday)
Old 10-17-2018, 09:31 PM

I doubt increased health care costs were ever part of BOP's decision in banning tobacco. They don't spend any more than they've budgeted, no matter how many people get sick. And I suspect that any CO bringing in tobacco could be persuaded to bring in other, more lucrative contraband.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 99mtg00 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (Yesterday), xolady (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:20 AM

Thanked 5,855 Times in 3,054 Posts

It used to be inmates could smoke in Florida, but CO's couldn't. Now Co's can but inmates can't!!! The bullshit continues.................
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (Yesterday), Itshardtowait (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM

Thanked 11,011 Times in 5,972 Posts

Bribery and introduction of contraband cigarettes existed even when tobacco was legal...the reason was that not all brands were sold in the commissary. As such, there was STILL a premium to be had for the name brands.

I will never understand the allure of risking one's job (and retirement benefits) over such stupidity, but prosecutions of this nature have gone on for as long as I have been around the correctional system (back into the 80's). Before then, a lot of people just got fired. First one I remember taking their case to trial was circa 1988 or 1989...guy got an additional sentence for getting up and hitting the IAD investigator as the IAD guy came out of the witness box.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (Yesterday), safran (Yesterday)