Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:07 PM

Default Home passes / Furloughs: Denied pass to my house, BOP hasn't checked it

My boyfriend got a pass to his sister's house and was told no more. Then he talked his way into another pass to go see his brother. He has been contacting BOP a lot trying to get a pass scheduled for my place but he said he was told absolutely no more.
Is this normal? I thought he could go to any house as long as it was checked? All they have to do is come out and walk through it... Can I call and talk to someone?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2018, 04:25 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,143 Times in 11,758 Posts

Passes from minimum security camps are usually very limited. Most people I knew who were allowed passes near the end of their sentences were one and done.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:12 AM

I also suspect that while it is completely possible that he is not allowed any more it is also possible that it is because you are not considered to be immediate family. Was he living in your home at the time of his incarceration?
Old 10-14-2018, 04:29 PM

This is the first time I have used this forum. I hope someone can help me get the info I need to pass on to my friend. She is going to be sent to a HWH, Marvin Gardens,9411 S. Central, Los Angeles, Ca. in January. She needs me to find out if she allowed to have her car there. She has kept it insured ,also if she can have her iphone there, and is there internet/email at this facility. I hope someone can help me with this, I am so out of my element here, and appreciate this so much. Thanku
Old 10-14-2018, 05:30 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The rules for that HWH, a privately owned business, will need to come from them. She will be given the rules and go through orientation when she arrives, but she can also contact them and ask for an advance copy.

Here is a link to a PTO thread with rule books for two different HWHs, but they will be similar to the ones in Los Angeles since they all have to comply with bop directives.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=713211

In my HWH in Seattle, cell phones were only for work, and had to be turned in whenever the "resident" was at the HWH. Some folks were allowed to have cars (DL, registration & insurance were required) if they could convince the staff of their need. There was no internet or email either.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:40 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

miracleawaits: If the denied pass is from a half way house instead of from prison, the common reason is because a home visit inspection hasn't been completed. That is for home visits, especially if that is the place where he plans to reside after release. Eligibility for any pass is limited by HWH rules, but only "home passes" require prior inspection.

Even more importantly, US Probation must approve the residence before he will be allowed to live there after his bop end of sentence release.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadynPDX View Post
This is the first time I have used this forum. I hope someone can help me get the info I need to pass on to my friend. She is going to be sent to a HWH, Marvin Gardens,9411 S. Central, Los Angeles, Ca. in January. She needs me to find out if she allowed to have her car there. She has kept it insured ,also if she can have her iphone there, and is there internet/email at this facility. I hope someone can help me with this, I am so out of my element here, and appreciate this so much. Thanku
All the federal halfway houses have slightly different rules and procedures. It can be challenging to get your hands on the rule book for a particular facility, and even more difficult to find staff that are willing to provide information prior to her arrival. It is worth a try to call and ask! I did 6-months of federal halfway house and was able to have my car after about six weeks. It will help greatly to have a job while there to get the car approval. The facility I was at had a nearby parking lot, which was free. Los Angeles might be a bigger challenge in that regard. She will have to have proof of insurance, etc., so it’s good that she kept it in place.

The phone situation will be different at each house, so it’s hard to say if a smart phone with camera and internet will be allowed or not. Hopefully someone on the forum has experience with Marvin Gardens and can provide specific information.