Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:20 PM

Thanked 1,248 Times in 632 Posts
Default Receiving Medical Records after outside tests?

My husband was taken out of the prison camp today for a CT scan. It has to do with information in his PSR from a CT scan he had last November where it was recommended he have another one in 12 months. He had been told he would have one sometime this month. Of course they don't tell you when, so when he was called up today, to report to be taken to the local hospital it was unexpected. He just figured it wasn't happening or would be in October.

So with that -- they don't have the actual prior CT scan. They just have some notes from the Dr. that are in his PSR. So..

1. A radiologist at the hospital will obviously be writing up notes, but they don't have a prior scan to compare to, so what do they use to compare it with?

2. Since I have HCPOA, can I contact the hospital they took him to and request these medical records so that they can be sent to his physician so they can accurately be compared to his two prior scans since they actually know what they are watching for?

3. If the answer to #2 is no, then what is the point of the BOP taking him for the scan, if they don't have all the information and what they're going to do with it?

4. Do they provide him with the results of the scan? ie (The notes of the radiologist)?

5. Again if #2 isn't doable, how can he request the results if not me? Or, what do I need in order to get them on his behalf?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2018, 03:49 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,532 Times in 11,944 Posts

Yes, you, or he, can send a HIPAA request for the prior scan results from the hospital that did the test, and another one to the one that scanned him now.

My experience, which may or may not be the same for him, was that I never received any feedback from the bop medical staff for any tests done outside of the prison.

I also requested a copy of my bop medical records two months before I was released from prison, but my request was ignored. I did send a letter to the warden after I was home that was a formal HIPAA request for my medical records. When I finally received them, I was surprised that they did contain all of the private hospital records from my extended outside hospitalization, but there was nothing in the records about any review by the bop medical staff.

I'm sure the hospital test results will be reviewed by a radiologist, but if they don't have access to his previous tests, the review will be limited to today's CT scan.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post

I'm sure the hospital test results will be reviewed by a radiologist, but if they don't have access to his previous tests, the review will be limited to today's CT scan.
That's my point. They seem to be pretty useless, if they don't have the actual baseline scan.

After I talk to my husband to hear what they told him at the prison about the results, then I'll figure out how to proceed. I need to review his HCPOA to see if the HIPAA is necessary. It may have that covered, otherwise I'll just have him fill it out. We don't care about any tests the BOP have done during the time he's there, with the exception of this one. Nothing else is relevant. I guess if he had anything major was there for a long time, it would be a different story.

The Dr. there is pretty conservative, considering he did have him go for this scan, less than a year after he had the last one, and close to him being released. Now, if they would just give him the dental cleaning, which he cares more about than this test and he would gladly pay out of pocket for! Ironic since this test will cost more than the stupid dental cleaning will cost them.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:37 PM

You have to remember, BOP doesn't particularly care about your LO's health. All they care about is "proving" that they've done a good job. In the case of medical services, that means generating impressive statistics like the number of scans performed.

My LO saw people being scheduled for tests, not because the tests were medically necessary, but because the relevant technician was there with the equipment and had available time slots. If my LO hadn't refused, they would have given him totally unnecessary (and potentially hazardous) multiple chest X-rays every year.
The Following User Says Thank You to 99mtg00 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-29-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 04:38 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,096 Times in 1,198 Posts

If BOP dental services are anything like IDOC's, he's probably better off just waiting a few months until he gets released to get his teeth cleaned professionally, especially if he needs any dental work done. The one time I went in for a cleaning, it was a dreadful experience, the dental room was less than sanitary, and they had no electrical tools (like motorized toothbrushes) at all, so it was literally poking and picking and scraping at your teeth with manual objects the whole time. (YIKES!) No fluoride or any other chemical treatment either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99mtg00 View Post
You have to remember, BOP doesn't particularly care about your LO's health. All they care about is "proving" that they've done a good job. In the case of medical services, that means generating impressive statistics like the number of scans performed.

My LO saw people being scheduled for tests, not because the tests were medically necessary, but because the relevant technician was there with the equipment and had available time slots. If my LO hadn't refused, they would have given him totally unnecessary (and potentially hazardous) multiple chest X-rays every year.
He needed the CT scan. His Dr. here is watching something closely and it was in his records to have it done over the next 12 months, so he knew and we're happy they did it. My point is that we want to make sure we get the results accurately reflected to compare to the prior scans he has had. They don't bring a technician there. They actually take them to the hospital in Duluth for the procedure. Not at all opposed to this as this one is medically necessary. He has not had any unnecessary tests, or vaccinations. In fact, what I cannot believe, is that they just also had their flu shots and I'm shocked at the number of inmates that refused the (optional) flu shots. It's expected to be even worse than last year, they're in confined unsanitary spaces. Not smart. But you can't reason with some people I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
If BOP dental services are anything like IDOC's, he's probably better off just waiting a few months until he gets released to get his teeth cleaned professionally, especially if he needs any dental work done. The one time I went in for a cleaning, it was a dreadful experience, the dental room was less than sanitary, and they had no electrical tools (like motorized toothbrushes) at all, so it was literally poking and picking and scraping at your teeth with manual objects the whole time. (YIKES!) No fluoride or any other chemical treatment either.
My husband has advanced gum disease. It's not that he needs any dental work done, thank god he doesn't. He needs to have a cleaning. In general, for anyone, who doesn't have a cleaning at least 2x a year, the plaque that builds up on your teeth and gums is bacteria and makes your mouth therefore your body, more prone to infection and that actually leads to more health issues. Proper dental care if so important, yet it is one of the first things people skip over. Anyway, they have a dentist that only comes about once/month. He saw him once, but the guy admitted that although he does have advanced gum disease, based on the BOP standards/definition of it, he doesn't. For my husband, he needs to have a cleaning 4x/year - twice a year by a periodontist and twice a year by a dentist.

Fortunately, I was allowed to send in his dental apparatus to use since they weren't giving him the cleanings, and he has been brushing and flossing extra like crazy so he has had no issues, which is what the dentist has suggested is the best he can do while gone, but god knows what they will look like.

As for manual cleaning, I actually prefer a manual cleaning, and as for fluoride treatments, unless your prone to cavities, not drinking water, etc. not sure why any adult would be having them. I haven't had a cavity since I was a child and I have definitely not had a cavity probably in over 40 years, my husband hasn't had any at least as long as I've known him, and my kids who do not get fluoride treatments, have no cavities. Not sure why you think the BOP would provide fluroide treatments anyway, when most dentists don't even recommend or push fluoride treatments, unless they view it as necessary for that particular patient. Not to mention, this is prison, not the Ritz.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:26 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Just keep in mind that prison dentists (just like most prison medical staff) are those who couldn't cut it in private practice, which is why they are resorting to seeking employment in prisons in the first place. Definitely not the "top of their class" in the profession.

A good reason to avoid any medical treatment inside if you can at all help it, and wait to seek professional service on the outs.
xolady (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Just keep in mind that prison dentists (just like most prison medical staff) are those who couldn't cut it in private practice, which is why they are resorting to seeking employment in prisons in the first place. Definitely not the "top of their class" in the profession.

A good reason to avoid any medical treatment inside if you can at all help it, and wait to seek professional service on the outs.
I honestly have no idea where you get your information from or if itís the same nonsense that goes around between prisoners that is just pure gossip, but there is a shortage countrywide of dentists. If someone wanted to be a dentist in the federal government they would actually be doing pretty damn well financially in pay as well as benefits, so they are not people who are at the bottom of their class! A lot of people take these government jobs because they are actually really kushy jobs - great benefits, vacation, insurance, pensions, hours, etc. In this case in fact, due to the shortage, they have a dentist from the community who comes once/month for the prisoners. So at most maybe 8-10 inmates are seen a month and there are 630 inmates. That is the issue. Itís no different than the people who spew the nonsense about the Dr. not being licensed in the state. Of course not. Because to be a Dr (or lawyer) for the DOJ (ie government) you do not need to be licensed in every state. There is reciprocity. A perfect example is a SCOTUS that may have been a Judge in Illinois, doesnít suddenly have to go pass the bar in DC in order to be on the SCOTUS.

Sorry if you had such a poor medical experience, but your basic facts are incorrect. Itís like the guys that are actually not getting flu shots because they think the government is objecting some sort of tracking device in them!
Old 09-29-2018, 05:50 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

You might want to take a peek in the General Health Care forum to hear what other members have to say about the healthcare (or lack thereof) their loved ones have received inside:

http://prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47

I don't think my experience with sub-par prison medical care was atypical at all.
xolady (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 05:56 PM

Medical/Mental/Dental where my hubby is....is laughable to say the least. After his last visit to medical, my hubby called and told me not to be surprised if he died while in there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnielg For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (09-29-2018), xolady (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 05:35 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,532 Times in 11,944 Posts

As bad as bop healthcare is, dental is significantly worse. The biggest problem I encountered was their inability to keep a dentist on staff.

One inmate I knew was actively looking for a pair of pliers so he could try to pull his own abscessed tooth after months of pain, and no antibiotics since the medical physicians assistants refused to prescribe them for dental issues.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:44 AM

Thanked 5,960 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
I honestly have no idea where you get your information from or if itís the same nonsense that goes around between prisoners that is just pure gossip, but there is a shortage countrywide of dentists. If someone wanted to be a dentist in the federal government they would actually be doing pretty damn well financially in pay as well as benefits, so they are not people who are at the bottom of their class! A lot of people take these government jobs because they are actually really kushy jobs - great benefits, vacation, insurance, pensions, hours, etc. In this case in fact, due to the shortage, they have a dentist from the community who comes once/month for the prisoners. So at most maybe 8-10 inmates are seen a month and there are 630 inmates. That is the issue. Itís no different than the people who spew the nonsense about the Dr. not being licensed in the state. Of course not. Because to be a Dr (or lawyer) for the DOJ (ie government) you do not need to be licensed in every state. There is reciprocity. A perfect example is a SCOTUS that may have been a Judge in Illinois, doesnít suddenly have to go pass the bar in DC in order to be on the SCOTUS.

Sorry if you had such a poor medical experience, but your basic facts are incorrect. Itís like the guys that are actually not getting flu shots because they think the government is objecting some sort of tracking device in them!
You are clueless to what happens in PRISON, your white collar criminal husband isn't in a prison he's in a CAMP!!! I know you think your a pro when it comes to all things prison but your husband is not in a prison.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:52 AM

Thanked 5,960 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:

LMAO you have no idea what the heck your talking about so stop insinuating that people with actual real life experience with medical in prison don't know what they are talking about. Again your husband is in a camp!!!
Old 09-30-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
LMAO you have no idea what the heck your talking about so stop insinuating that people with actual real life experience with medical in prison don't know what they are talking about. Again your husband is in a camp!!!
Really??? Is this the game we're going to play? I'm pretty sure when you're landlord is the United States of America who dictate your every move it's still a prison whether you think it is or not!!

I simply do not understand the issue of "my crime is worse than your crime" thing here!! Pretty sure that's not something to necessarily be proud of. We are all in the same boat here and without our loved ones (or losing them soon) and just looking for answers. The holier than thou attitudes suck!!
Old 09-30-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
As bad as bop healthcare is, dental is significantly worse. The biggest problem I encountered was their inability to keep a dentist on staff.

One inmate I knew was actively looking for a pair of pliers so he could try to pull his own abscessed tooth after months of pain, and no antibiotics since the medical physicians assistants refused to prescribe them for dental issues.
This is my point. It's the access the health care, whether it be dental or otherwise that they cannot get in prison. There is already a shortage of dentists, as I mentioned previously. So take that into consideration with the fact that the prisons can't find anyone to work full-time, they wind up not being able to staff the position. So, it creates a domino effect. I believe the issue of the pliers. My husband's roommate recently was in major tooth pain and was taking advil (ibuprofen) to no avail, because even when he went to sign up to see the "emergency" dentist, the dentist only comes once/month. This unfortunately, in turn results in bigger issues. The guy should've then gone to sick call to at least get on an antibiotic to not get an infection. I believe the pain ultimately went away (the tooth probably died) before he saw the dentist.

It's the same thing with the physician(s) that work there, these are doctors not trained to treat all illnesses, so again, access to care. Another problem is many prisons are in more rural areas, and this is where the shortage in physicians generally occur, yet, this is also where the highest paying jobs can be found. So, if a town/city is able to sway a physician to come there, it is going to take a lot of money, and these Dr's will also work for the gov't but they moonlight and then are only there on a part-time basis, or they're the ones who do take the jobs full-time, because as I said the benefits are amazing. When my ex husband was first starting out, he could moonlight in a prison for a 4-5 hours shift and make an extra $1500. It was a great way to supplement our income. The problem was that he had to drive an hour each way, and it was tough with babies in the house. But this is unfortunately how it works. Why there is a shortage, and unfortunately, the access to specialty medical care sucks. My ex is an internist and a psychiatrist. There are a lot of things he obviously couldn't treat. So it's a catch for all. It would be nice if the system had something in place where they allowed prisoners to pay for specialty services, or took them out for dental care, because as I said, not having proper dental care is the root of a lot of other health issues, including but not limited to heart disease and increased risk Alzehimers.

As for the rest of the nasty comments, this is not a contest over who's loved one has it worse or not. At the end of the day, they're all in prison, and it sucks for them and it sucks for us, and yes, even a camp is a prison, that comment was uncalled for. They still have lost rights, they are still convicted felons, and at the end of the day, when they are out of those hell holes, they are no different than the next. FORMER INMATE. They're the experts based on their experiences, I have never claimed to be, nor am I claiming to be. I merely asked in this thread about getting my husband's medical records, period. I then rebutted a comment about dentists being people who couldn't make it in private practice as false, and was then attacked. That is not necessary.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:31 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

rockchalk, I want to apologize.

I didn't mean to derail your thread. I was merely sharing my own observations based on my own experience, I didn't mean for it to take off on a tangent or get anyone riled up.

I think just the fact that prisons can't attract skilled doctors and medical staff to keep those positions filled is testament to the inferior pay and compensation not being as lucrative as what is available so often in the private sector in so many local markets. Which is why so few want to go out on a limb to "volunteer" their services inside a penal institution in the first place, leading to a shortage of staff in those positions. Even if as you said, part of the problem is that so many prisons are so far out of town to make it inconvenient for staff to travel out of their way that far, they really need to offer better pay to make it worthwhile if they hope to keep those positions filled.

Prisons are always trying to cut corners on expenses though, and many of them are contracting out their medical services these days to the lowest bidder, who usually win those bids because they do offer less-than-stellar compensation packages to those they hire, just to keep their overall costs down.

But I'm not here to argue. It would be nice if prisoners could pay for outside care out-of-pocket, or at least keep their insurance even while locked up, so they only had to pay small co-pays to allow them to see specialists on the outs. But the only problem with that approach is that it would be grossly unfair to all those who are indigent and can't afford to pay for their own medical. It would truly become a "pay to play" system where those with money got all their healthcare needs met, while those without money languished and suffered even worse than they are now. It's not a good situation, but unfortunately the care and needs of prisoners seems to be a very low priority when it comes to politicians and what to allocate taxpayer money towards.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
rockchalk, I want to apologize.

I didn't mean to derail your thread. I was merely sharing my own observations based on my own experience, I didn't mean for it to take off on a tangent or get anyone riled up.

I think just the fact that prisons can't attract skilled doctors and medical staff to keep those positions filled is testament to the inferior pay and compensation not being as lucrative as what is available so often in the private sector in so many local markets. Which is why so few want to go out on a limb to "volunteer" their services inside a penal institution in the first place, leading to a shortage of staff in those positions. Even if as you said, part of the problem is that so many prisons are so far out of town to make it inconvenient for staff to travel out of their way that far, they really need to offer better pay to make it worthwhile if they hope to keep those positions filled.

Prisons are always trying to cut corners on expenses though, and many of them are contracting out their medical services these days to the lowest bidder, who usually win those bids because they do offer less-than-stellar compensation packages to those they hire, just to keep their overall costs down.

But I'm not here to argue. It would be nice if prisoners could pay for outside care out-of-pocket, or at least keep their insurance even while locked up, so they only had to pay small co-pays to allow them to see specialists on the outs. But the only problem with that approach is that it would be grossly unfair to all those who are indigent and can't afford to pay for their own medical. It would truly become a "pay to play" system where those with money got all their healthcare needs met, while those without money languished and suffered even worse than they are now. It's not a good situation, but unfortunately the care and needs of prisoners seems to be a very low priority when it comes to politicians and what to allocate taxpayer money towards.
Thank you, I appreciate your comments.

The problem with not offering the prisoners the option to pay for their own healthcare, or some healthcare, may in fact cause the government more money than if they gave that option. We all know the system is unfair as it is. Everyone knows which guys have the $300+ commissary coming in every month. I know someone who was sending her husband in $300 every other week. He was paying different guys to cook for him, do his laundry, do other chores for him, etc. Why? Because he was able to and could afford it, he didn't want to, and finally because he wanted to help these guys. Of course, now he's out and these guys don't have him to give him anything.

They charge $2 to go to sick call, nothing for those they deem indigent. But I assume for inmates that have restitution where they take the $25/quarter, they're not going to the sick call when they need it, because they don't want to pay the $2. So again, it does become the "pay for play" to some degree anyway. So, at the end of the day, even in there, they are not treated equally because those with the restitution vs ones without restitution are treated so different, or are just able to buy things. It is heartbreaking to know that most of these guys never have a visit, can't buy the radio, can barely get what they need from commissary, etc.

As for the jobs, these are the best jobs, but no one wants to move to rural areas to take them. I remember when my ex husband finished residency and the headhunters were calling offering $300-$400k to start in psychiatry no less (one of the lower paid specialities) if only he would go to timbuktu because there is such a shortage. I wanted to move back here, so we were not going to yet another out there place. We have been back here for 17 years, he has been out of our house for 11 and I still get headhunter calls for him here. That's how desperate they are. Instead, he actually chose to work for the State of IL in as a forensic psychiatrist and ultimately he is going to be eligible to retire when he is 55, with only 20 years of service (in his case it'll be more than that because he started when he was so young) and will be paid 62.5% of his highest annual salary for the rest of his life as his pension. He currently works 8-4, no weekends, no federal or state holidays, has 12 sick days/year, 4 weeks of vacation, got paternity leave when he had additional kids, has unbelievable health insurance, and other benefits..and will make more than most people will ever make in a year, for sitting around twiddinling his thumbs during his retirement. This is the draw for government jobs. If he had a job that he had to worry about social security, he would be waiting until he is 70, and would make 25% of what he is going to make from his pension for being a physician in state government. The Federal pension isn't much different. The problem with all of it, is the bureaucracy. He wants to retire at 55, because of the burnout and that is probably the biggest problem with any of these government workers -- they need to stay to get those high lifelong pensions, but they wind up going through the motions!! Something has to change all around!!
Old 09-30-2018, 06:22 PM

Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,286 Posts

Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate your comments.

The problem with not offering the prisoners the option to pay for their own healthcare, or some healthcare, may in fact cause the government more money than if they gave that option. We all know the system is unfair as it is. Everyone knows which guys have the $300+ commissary coming in every month. I know someone who was sending her husband in $300 every other week. He was paying different guys to cook for him, do his laundry, do other chores for him, etc. Why? Because he was able to and could afford it, he didn't want to, and finally because he wanted to help these guys. Of course, now he's out and these guys don't have him to give him anything.

They charge $2 to go to sick call, nothing for those they deem indigent. But I assume for inmates that have restitution where they take the $25/quarter, they're not going to the sick call when they need it, because they don't want to pay the $2. So again, it does become the "pay for play" to some degree anyway. So, at the end of the day, even in there, they are not treated equally because those with the restitution vs ones without restitution are treated so different, or are just able to buy things. It is heartbreaking to know that most of these guys never have a visit, can't buy the radio, can barely get what they need from commissary, etc.

As for the jobs, these are the best jobs, but no one wants to move to rural areas to take them. I remember when my ex husband finished residency and the headhunters were calling offering $300-$400k to start in psychiatry no less (one of the lower paid specialities) if only he would go to timbuktu because there is such a shortage. I wanted to move back here, so we were not going to yet another out there place. We have been back here for 17 years, he has been out of our house for 11 and I still get headhunter calls for him here. That's how desperate they are. Instead, he actually chose to work for the State of IL in as a forensic psychiatrist and ultimately he is going to be eligible to retire when he is 55, with only 20 years of service (in his case it'll be more than that because he started when he was so young) and will be paid 62.5% of his highest annual salary for the rest of his life as his pension. He currently works 8-4, no weekends, no federal or state holidays, has 12 sick days/year, 4 weeks of vacation, got paternity leave when he had additional kids, has unbelievable health insurance, and other benefits..and will make more than most people will ever make in a year, for sitting around twiddinling his thumbs during his retirement. This is the draw for government jobs. If he had a job that he had to worry about social security, he would be waiting until he is 70, and would make 25% of what he is going to make from his pension for being a physician in state government. The Federal pension isn't much different. The problem with all of it, is the bureaucracy. He wants to retire at 55, because of the burnout and that is probably the biggest problem with any of these government workers -- they need to stay to get those high lifelong pensions, but they wind up going through the motions!! Something has to change all around!!
Majority of taxpayers don't want their money going to prisons period except for locking them up and staffing. Everything else to them are comforts and extras. Until that mindset changes, nothing changes.

My brother has a heart attack in prison. Swallowed a bottle of aspirin to keep himself alive. Next day he was taken to the hospital. I don't know all the details because there was a black out of communication for months.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
He needed the CT scan. His Dr. here is watching something closely and it was in his records to have it done over the next 12 months, so he knew and we're happy they did it. My point is that we want to make sure we get the results accurately reflected to compare to the prior scans he has had. They don't bring a technician there. They actually take them to the hospital in Duluth for the procedure. Not at all opposed to this as this one is medically necessary. He has not had any unnecessary tests, or vaccinations. In fact, what I cannot believe, is that they just also had their flu shots and I'm shocked at the number of inmates that refused the (optional) flu shots. It's expected to be even worse than last year, they're in confined unsanitary spaces. Not smart. But you can't reason with some people I guess.
I'd never suggest that his CT was unnecessary, but rather, that necessity doesn't factor into BOP's decisionmaking process. For them, it's all about putting up numbers "proving" they did a good job. More CTs = better job. Standard government bureaucracy in action.

Comparing his current CT with the prior one, while diagnostically useful, won't show up in their performance evaluations as an accomplishment. And they're probably too incompetent to keep track of where the prior one is anyway, if they didn't trash it already.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99mtg00 View Post
I'd never suggest that his CT was unnecessary, but rather, that necessity doesn't factor into BOP's decisionmaking process. For them, it's all about putting up numbers "proving" they did a good job. More CTs = better job. Standard government bureaucracy in action.

Comparing his current CT with the prior one, while diagnostically useful, won't show up in their performance evaluations as an accomplishment. And they're probably too incompetent to keep track of where the prior one is anyway, if they didn't trash it already.
They don't even have the prior one!! All they have is what's in his PSR! But as it turns out, he's going to wait a couple weeks and see if he can get some sort of written results, and if not, then he'll sign a HIPAA form, and I'll go in with the HCPOA and get a copy of the records (which we probably ought to do anyway) and get them in the hands of the Dr. here. Better safe than sorry!!! The Dr. here can then tell us also, if he needs to follow up in another year, or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-02-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 09:29 AM

Just a follow up to this thread as it hit me today, that it's been more than 2 weeks since my husband had the CT and no one (no surprise) has given him any results.

I decided to call the hospital where he had the scan done and ask how we go about getting the records and results sent to us/me. For any of you that have loved ones taken out of prison for medical tests, I have to tell you this was easy as can be.

I had two options - have my husband fill out the medical document request form (numerous ways to get it to him, I could print it from their website, have it faxed, sent, emailed, etc. directly to him) or as POA I could fill it out on and sign it. I did not need a HIPAA as long as I had his HCPOA, which in his case clearly stated that I had authority to obtain medical records on his behalf. So instead of dealing with sending him the form, and then him sending it back to me, I just went ahead and printed off the document request and then emailed it back to them along with the HCPOA. I threw in the POA as well just in case there were any other issues.

I also asked if by now the Dr at the prison would've been given the results and was told yes. So basically, it's up to my husband if he wants to go and ask what if anything is on the scan, but of course, the prison doesn't have any of the prior scans so they don't know what they're looking for anyway, so it's sort of a moot point. I feel much better having the records ourself, and then I can take a look and bring them to his Dr.

Further, they also offered to send them directly to his Dr if we wanted.

I also decided to ask for any records dating back to the beginning of his incarceration, just in case any other tests he had done previously may have been run through there. We have no idea, but couldn't hurt to check and get the whole thing.

She said if I wrote URGENT (which I didn't) I would have them in 3 days!! Nice to know some places are efficient, unlike our wonderful government!! Again, definitely no surprise.

The worst thing however, would be if there was some sort of change on this scan compared to what is in the PSR, and they did nothing and didn't notify my husband. Because at least in that regard, they should know if there was cause for some alarm. Then we it will be a whole different ballgame! Hopefully no change. Fingers crossed..as he has been relatively healthy during his stay and just over 100 days to go!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-15-2018), Girl22472 (10-15-2018), MPsQueen (10-15-2018), Nickel Timer (10-17-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 06:09 PM

I forgot to follow up to this post. My husband was finally called in to get the results of his CT scan (1 month after he had the test).

Of course, they had no baseline as I previously mentioned to compare to. However, at home they recommended another scan in a year, at this hospital the radiologist recommended a follow up in 6 months. They called it a level and based on the level is how they determine when to recommend the follow up. I looked at his prior scans and there is nothing in there about a level, so that information the Dr at the prison gave him isn't consistent, so he is actually the one getting the records and I'll give it to the Dr here, or compare to the records we have.

But, here is the kicker. My husband is leaving Duluth in January. 6 months from the date of his scan he will be out on SR. The Dr. actually told my husband he can stay the 6 months and have the scan. Lol. My husband was like no way! He is like why would anyone stay in here when they don't have to be. Ironically, the Dr said because some people want to get the free medical test so they will stay. I'm thinking, ok, but even if they get it, and it shows something, are they actually going to treat it? Probably not.

We are at 79 days. I'm praying my husband doesn't get sick. Apparently, the only thing that can stop them from releasing him is if they put him on a medical hold if he gets sick. Barring some emergency, he is not planning to go to medical for any reason whatsoever before he gets out of there!! They kept some other guy who was supposed to leave a few months ago and he missed all of his HWH time and was just released.