Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:52 AM

Question BOP Marion Illinois, What is its future?

Does anyone know if this factual or rumor? Or how to find out? It's our sons location, his legal help for others there have gotten one a Obama Clemency and 4 or 5 early outs for others, he's asked me check into this going around the rumor mill inside.

1. The possibility that the feds plan on closing United States Penitentiary - Marion in the next 10 years or so.

2. The possibility that the feds plan on turning Marion into a "transgender" facility to a specialized degree, or some sort of policy or stated goal.
Thanks for looking
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2018, 05:38 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,493 Times in 11,920 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forum. I hope you get answers from someone who knows, but every prison rumor I ever heard turned out to be false.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeW View Post
Does anyone know if this factual or rumor? Or how to find out? It's our sons location, his legal help for others there have gotten one a Obama Clemency and 4 or 5 early outs for others, he's asked me check into this going around the rumor mill inside.

1. The possibility that the feds plan on closing United States Penitentiary - Marion in the next 10 years or so.

2. The possibility that the feds plan on turning Marion into a "transgender" facility to a specialized degree, or some sort of policy or stated goal.
Thanks for looking
My best friend, who is in Marion, has heard that Marion has been designated as one of the facilities to house transgender inmates. I have, on occasion, seen a couple of transgender people during visitations.
Do you know if the clemency (and "early outs") were just drug related?

Last edited by John M; 03-28-2018 at 10:28 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to John M For This Useful Post:
GeorgeW (03-29-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
My best friend, who is in Marion, has heard that Marion has been designated as one of the facilities to house transgender inmates. I have, on occasion, seen a couple of transgender people during visitations.
Do you know if the clemency (and "early outs") were just drug related?
The Obama Clemency was a drug related conviction (out of Oklahoma) I believe, most all that have been helped by my son and I with my access to Pacer, which is bull that inmates can not for themselves do alone btw.
The window of opportunity is largely only in a inmates favor on "errors in sentencing guidelines" and miscalculation (PSR) of points. The restrictions of Corrlinks makes it difficult to expedite anything. Another was a mule for smuggling people from Mexico. Another got sent to far less restricted federal facility with internet with a S.O. They want to reach out via me to my son and that I will not do, although sympathetic it's problematic. He hides my contact information and only failed once in that.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:21 PM

Default none

Quote:
The Obama Clemency was a drug related conviction (out of Oklahoma) I believe, most all those that have been helped by my son and I with my access to Pacer, (which is bull) that inmates can not for themselves do alone btw.
The window of opportunity is largely only in a inmates favor on "errors in sentencing guidelines" and miscalculation (PSR) of points. The restrictions of Corrlinks makes it difficult to expedite anything. Another was a Coyote for smuggling people from Mexico. Another got sent to far less restricted federal facility with internet with a S.O. They want to reach out via me to my son and that I will not do, against the rules although sympathetic it's problematic. He hides my contact information and only failed once in that. Another difficulty for inmates is they have no access to State Laws just Federal. Some times you have to attack the State conviction that accelerated
the thirst for blood by the Feds. it took 3 tries to get him a calendar one year since baby Jesus bottom was showing for instance in one. I call them the Nazies and think of them all that way now, the overseers in the mail room, Putin is no threat or Rocket man in comparison to the Judicial, Governmental, Political professionals that get Elected to suppress supposedly a free people
This is my reply on that
Old 06-22-2018, 01:40 PM

Default I was hoping for more replies on my post question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forum. I hope you get answers from someone who knows, but every prison rumor I ever heard turned out to be false.
It seems to me personally that a lot of people here on the site (relationship wise) and for personal human fundamental reasons and comfort mentally need to have discussions to relieve the mental burden they themselves feel. There is no doubt in my mind that talking about your personal pains or thoughts through whatever avenue, you yourself and with others are the most comfortable with are gaining something in at some level by a response and a continuance of a discussion. It is, I believe helpful to be able to tell your story to someone, as hard of a story it may be, it should be told by words or voice. This site is a good avenue, I myself just was hoping for someone who knew about something factual I had asked about originally in my post is all.
My conclusion is since the Feds don't know what they are doing, it is not unreasonable to find out, no one else will as well either. It was a false hope on my part is all.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:54 PM

Thanked 1,235 Times in 628 Posts

Marion is a large facility with a camp as well. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone can make any predictions of what the BOP will be doing in 10 years, when they don't even know what they'll be doing in 10 days! The left doesn't know what the right does in the Federal Government.

Last year at this time, Pekin was a male camp, now it's female. In the current budget for next year, it states that 2 free standing camps are closing, eluding to the possibility of those camps being either Duluth and Pensacola or Yankton and Pensacola. But nothing has happened at any of the camps. So it is not worth it to speculate, as you will just drive yourself crazy.

As for transgender, I have heard nothing about them making Marion a transgender facility. Are there that many transgender prisoners in the system right now? I know where my husband is, there is 1 transgender inmate. I can't imagine a prison that is specifically set up for transgender inmates only wouldn't spark some sort of lawsuit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-24-2018), GeorgeW (08-22-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:54 AM

Default Marion BOP changing mail requirements to inmates

My son told me effective 10/20/18 new incoming mail requirements put in place by Staff that address and return address labels will no longer be accepted for inmates, I do not know what all the changes involve yet, does anyone?
Old 10-02-2018, 03:03 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

No idea, sorry, but it wasn't long ago that the bop REQUIRED address and return address labels, at least on correspondence to and from FCI Petersburg. Any rule change provides bop staff with even more ways to harass inmates.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
No idea, sorry, but it wasn't long ago that the bop REQUIRED address and return address labels, at least on correspondence to and from FCI Petersburg. Any rule change provides bop staff with even more ways to harass inmates.
My son will be mailing me and anyone who writes him, a BOP copy of the Marion changes to take place soon he's said. From what he has told me it's because of some chemical people use to mail inmates that is used or can be used for whatever purpose on labels. So we all suffer, I do not know how to scan a image and attach it for others information as well. I communicate often with my son but by email usually. Others are not that fortunate and send USPS mail that will be returned is one concern, they not knowing on what the new rules are or are going to be in the future. I will then know more and be than happy to send it to this forum for consideration, in not knowing ahead of time they may have done it wrong according to the new projected rules he told me about. That facilities site still shows how to do it is not updated and they leave the notice up to inmates from loved ones to inform them first?? Crazy! I'll see what I get when he sends it to me on it. Looking up "Michigan state DOC" may be a good clue.

Last edited by GeorgeW; 10-02-2018 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: accuracy
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeW For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 08:39 AM

Thanked 1,235 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
My son will be mailing me and anyone who writes him, a BOP copy of the Marion changes to take place soon he's said. From what he has told me it's because of some chemical people use to mail inmates that is used or can be used for whatever purpose on labels. So we all suffer, I do not know how to scan a image and attach it for others information as well. I communicate often with my son but by email usually. Others are not that fortunate and send USPS mail that will be returned is one concern, they not knowing on what the new rules are or are going to be in the future. I will then know more and be than happy to send it to this forum for consideration, in not knowing ahead of time they may have done it wrong according to the new projected rules he told me about. That facilities site still shows how to do it is not updated and they leave the notice up to inmates from loved ones to inform them first?? Crazy! I'll see what I get when he sends it to me on it. Looking up "Michigan state DOC" may be a good clue.
No idea about mail changes, but I have a vague recollection of my husband mentioning something to me about inmates receiving letters that had K2 on the backs of stamps and that it's a way to hide it because like you say it's an invisible substance and then they just lick it off. So gross. So maybe it's something like that? Of course, they could just change the policy and open all the mail and take it out of the envelopes altogether and not give them anything with stamps, stickers, etc. I know when my husband gets a letter from me, it's opened but then stapled back shut.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

For now, Marion's bop web page has a link to the 2011 Program Statement 5265.14, Correspondence, which requires mailing labels on outgoing letters.
https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5265_014.pdf

Will it change because of the "new policy"? Only the bop knows that answer.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
My son told me effective 10/20/18 new incoming mail requirements put in place by Staff that address and return address labels will no longer be accepted for inmates, I do not know what all the changes involve yet, does anyone?
My friend is sending me a printed copy of the new mail policy. Nothing new, it seems, as far as letters. Cards, however (from what he read to me), will no longer be given to the inmate. They will make a photocopy, of the card (giving that to the inmate), and throw away the original card.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:01 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
No idea about mail changes, but I have a vague recollection of my husband mentioning something to me about inmates receiving letters that had K2 on the backs of stamps and that it's a way to hide it because like you say it's an invisible substance and then they just lick it off. So gross. So maybe it's something like that? Of course, they could just change the policy and open all the mail and take it out of the envelopes altogether and not give them anything with stamps, stickers, etc. I know when my husband gets a letter from me, it's opened but then stapled back shut.
If they follow what the Michigan DOC is doing which is on their website, I assume parallel BOP rules, they will be removing communications from the lopes and put it in a blank lope, so the contents also need to have all the inmates information on them as well so it won't get lost. I assume the mailroom lopes will not be reusable either by some broad bold text on them but to be trashed or returned to the mailroom nazies. I wondered what the hell could be on a label TY for telling me about your take K2?, rockchalk1;7747204]!
Old 10-03-2018, 06:36 PM

At FMC Springfield where my son is the mail rules are, white envelopes only, no more that 5 pages, no labels only handwritten return and addresses, only greeting cards that are Un embellished, no glitter no embossing, and only in white envelopes. They open both incoming and out going mail and staple it shut again. If it comes into the mailroom stained in anyway it is rejected. Unfortunately Rockchalk is correct people can dip the stamps into just about any illegal substance you can imagine, and there have been many overdoses on K2, and deaths and permanent brain injury due to fentanyl. I also just read an article that a State Prison in the South had many people die due to some drug person making silicon molds for Xanax and filling those molds with fentanyl, and they made there way into the Prison down there, There will always be those people who mess up things for everyone else. As far a Marion changing no one will ever know until it does or doesn’t happen.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshardtowait View Post
At FMC Springfield where my son is the mail rules are, white envelopes only, no more that 5 pages, no labels only handwritten return and addresses, only greeting cards that are Un embellished, no glitter no embossing, and only in white envelopes. They open both incoming and out going mail and staple it shut again. If it comes into the mailroom stained in anyway it is rejected. Unfortunately Rockchalk is correct people can dip the stamps into just about any illegal substance you can imagine, and there have been many overdoses on K2, and deaths and permanent brain injury due to fentanyl. I also just read an article that a State Prison in the South had many people die due to some drug person making silicon molds for Xanax and filling those molds with fentanyl, and they made there way into the Prison down there, There will always be those people who mess up things for everyone else. As far a Marion changing no one will ever know until it does or doesn’t happen.
Here, in Arkansas, there were 5 inmates (I believe it was 5) who OD on K2 at Varner Prison.