Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legislation & Laws
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Legislation & Laws Discuss and learn about pending legislation or changes in laws that affect various prisons and institutions

View Poll Results: Which's More Important?
Sentence Reduction (Good Time) 1,415 86.33%
Extended Family Visits (Conjugal/Trailer Visits) 224 13.67%
Voters: 1639. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2007, 07:25 PM

I would definitely vote for sentence reductions!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2007, 11:35 AM

I definately say prison reductions.. from what I've seen is as the sentences get more extreme so do the crimes. These extreme and severe sentences were supposed to deter crime not help make them turn more severe and horrific themselves. Besides like everyone else has pointed out is alot of the inmates who are becoming better people and who are indeed changing for the better and turning their lives around should be released and be able to not only show themsleves but the world that they can positively contribute to society once more. From what I have understood that was supposed to be the whole purpose of prisons and rehabilitation..not locking them up and throwing away the key..nor locking them up,treating them cruel and worse then animals and then deciding to perhaps release them into the community when they no longer have room for them. Don't get me wrong..I'm all for someone being locked up forever if they cannot change and cannot be released back into the public to be as bad or worse as they were before..but for alot of inmates this is far from the case and yet they might never get the chance to prove it. How is that acceptable? Not posting this to rile anyone up or cause a debate..just thought I'd put my 2 cents in like everyone else.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:07 AM

WITHOUT A DOUBT, SENTENCE REDUCTIONS, THAT IS WHAT WOULD REALLY BE BETTER FOR THE FAMILY!! AND THE INMATE,STATE,ETC.?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:52 PM
EDMsGirl

Sentence reduction by 50% would be wonderful!!! My man has to serve a 40-year sentence......long story...and to be able to have it cut to 20 years would be a God-send! He's a model prisoner...keeps to himself....stays out of trouble, is infraction-free. He has already served 8 years. As it stands, he is only 20 % done. I'd love to have him home in another 12 years.....maybe less with good behavior. I say...REDUCED SENTENCE is the most important.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:09 PM

This is kinda tricky because My husband just got LIFE so Extended family stays would be SOO nice!! IF they would give 50% of a LIFE sentenced then i would love that!! lol SO IDK about this one!! Does anyone have an opinion about this one who has a Man/Woman with a LIFE sentence?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by KristinGish
How would i go about writing a proposal for congugal visits to be legal in the state of illinois and or is that possible? does anyone know why they have been taken away everywhere and when that started?

thanks
<3 kristin

Well ive heard that they took them away cuz A. They say they are criminals and they dont deserve that. and B. That supposibly the inmates take out all their frustration out on their spouses. Women use to come out all bruised up.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:28 AM

senteance reduction for me i want him home
Old 04-11-2007, 02:32 AM

I think I'll go with sentence reduction once they're home they can have all the conjugals they desire
Old 04-12-2007, 04:09 AM
Always and forever

DEFINATELY Sentence reduction - without a doubt

Distance between 2 hearts is not an obstacle, rather, a great reminder of just how strong true love can be.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:43 AM
ride or die

I'd say sentence reduction 4 all of those who got a chance 2 get out n extended family visits 4 those who got live or worse. What do a person need extended visits 4 when his or her people live 2 far 2 visit anyway? They should keep our incarcerateds close 2 home n don't put'em outta state. My mans people live in VA n KY but they put'em 2 WA 2 do his time. Ain't nobody can't go up there on a regular...... Just my 2 cents
Old 04-13-2007, 10:42 PM
What - me worry?
Donation Award 

I'd be ecstatic with either....but unfortunately, I get neither.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:00 PM
nikki-nik

considering my husband has 15yrs with 12 more to go and frp would be nice if he ever moves were in new york state which has that program but he is at a max that does not have it i still would pick the sentance reduction i would rather him get more time in his children life on the outside bumpin is good but a father role in the house helps much more and is more important then any 2 day stay .
Old 04-16-2007, 03:59 PM

Thumbs up Wa state EFV policy Change

hello, this is my first post and i am looking for all Washington state families to write Olympia. the "Powers that be" are again discussing reinstatement of EFV for those of us married after incarceration. Please write and express your opinion!!!
ssramsey@DOC1.WA.Gov
Thank you, vth's wife..
Old 04-16-2007, 08:53 PM

Ok, at the risk of seeming completley inane, what does EVF mean???????????????
Old 04-16-2007, 08:55 PM

Ok, Now I know what it means........forgive me please..............
Old 04-21-2007, 02:37 AM
Closed

i believe sentence reduction because therefore u could have ur inmate home sooner and wouldnt need a family visit...but if my fiance where doing life (praise god hes not) i would say family visits cause they dont do those for lifers.. xoxo
Old 04-21-2007, 11:39 PM

I also go for the reduced time with help like getting a GED, substance abuse, and the life skills. I have a son who just went to prison in Michigan, and I sure hate to see him stay there any longer than he has to, especially if he tries to better himself and get the help he needs to be successful out of prison.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Getting better everyday!

Hey all! Its great to see all the responses! I would have to say family visits. As I've read before, the family visits are beyond physical contact... I know Mississippi not only offers conjugal visits for married couples, but in a few facilities, they offer 48 hour (I think, I'll check) family visits. The family, including children, can go with their inmate and stay in a "hotel" for a specific set time.

I would say that if an inmate has a mandatory long sentence or life in prison, this option would be awesome!

Thanks for all of the input!!
Old 04-28-2007, 12:30 AM
still in love..still here

well good time allows them to get out quicker and here in mich that is a huge issue, we have no bedspace and no money! Early release could benefit the budget if they are prepared for release properly to do the best to keep them out! it would also benefit the welfare system because many homes will get back the main source of income alot sooner. But as I said before it is only good if they are prepared properly to ensure they do not return. And as far as conjucal visits, sure they would be nice but you would have the problem with women getting pregnant and going after more welfare and since the man isnt gettin out any earlier we are still stuck with the bedspace problem, people ruin everything out of ignorance so things of this nature are pretty much gone for good. It sucks, but we dont need more kids we cant afford and they will have no father right away it just could cause a mess.sending daddy home to the ones that are already here would be more important to me. And I am not sure about the cleanliness issues when it comes to the trailers either, I know other family can stay but I wouldnt want my kids to sleep in one. you dont know what diseases are floating around. Prisons are full of hep c and other things that are contagious, I dont know if I could get naked in a place evryone else uses to have sex and you know better than to expect the c/o s to keep it clean, they have to have a porter in the visiting room.
The Following User Says Thank You to dydasgirl For This Useful Post:
Hosea&Gomer (01-04-2010)
Old 05-31-2007, 07:26 PM

Time reduction.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,227 Times in 608 Posts

Early release time i say. I want him home to make love to him every night for the rest of our lives. Sex is important but not more important than knowing is safe at home with me and his son.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:39 AM
B's Baby Girl For Life!

More good time off, for sure! I want him home more than just sex or physical pleasures. I want a 24 hour partner, not a part time one!

Old 06-03-2007, 04:43 PM
I Scam Inmate Families

Sentence reduction, definitely. If they could get some time cut off their sentence, we would all be happier.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:10 PM
<3

I agree.. sentence reduction.. theres NO WAY I would pass that up for a trailer visit
Old 06-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Forever Waiting!!!

I definately want sentence reduction because sex isn't that important. I don't want my first sexual experience with him to be in a trailer. I wantit under our conditions not the systems. I have a question though what do people mean when they put a percentage at the end of there loved ones set prison time. for example, if he has 10 years at 45%. If anyone knows the answer please send it to me in my inbox.

Thanx
Katie