Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 03-11-2009, 07:50 AM

Default What timescale will this really mean?

Hello,

Is there anyone who can tell me what sort of timescale I can expect with the information I have been given...I'm so confused with it all!

He says: "2, 9 - 18's running consecutive...should have got 9 - 18 flat" and says he'll be out October 2020
DOC says: Initial Release Appearance/Date June 2020; Earliest Release October 2020; conditional release October 2026 and Maximum Expiration October 2038.

I'm sure it's not an exact science and there will be many factors such as behaviour etc that can influence these things, but where would you pitch a reasonable guess??

Thanks so much,
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Always Remembered
Donation Award 

Thanked 30,845 Times in 11,079 Posts

If he challenges the *consecutive* sentencing, then things would change, but right now, it means the first time he sees the parole board would be the June 2020 date. If he's done all his programs, held a job, not gotten any disciplinary write-ups, and if the crime wasn't heinous, he might get released October of 2020. If he fouls up or if they really dislike his crime and he hasn't shown proper remorse, then they may flop him (in other words, they say no, not this time, but come back in 1/2/3 years and we'll talk about it again). If all the above - no major write-ups, programs done, etc, is good and they don't have a major reason, then they'll let him out on parole 2026.

If he blows everything, keeps getting sent to the hole, starts fights, whatever, then he won't get out until he maxes at 2038.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Thank you nimuay,

Things seem to happen very differently on the opposite of the world. He seems quite happy for me to find out 'what's what', but I know he gets quite stressed trying to explain these things to me. He says that he's awaiting an appeal; I know his conviction is for rape 1st and robbery 1st and I know he's been throught the system several times. I think he's doing everything he can to get through this stretch as quickly as possible!

The sentencing in the states seems more than harsh; we've had a case this week of someone being given four life sentences and the recommendation they serve 20 years...
Old 03-11-2009, 11:33 AM

I know that sounds like a long time, but actually for rape and robbery it doesn't sound bad, particularly if he is a repeat offender. A friend of mine just got 268 years for lewd behavior - not sure if rape was involved or not, but he is a repeat offender,
so 3 life sentences. Good luck to you both.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:08 PM

Thank you for you rsupport...with a sentence of 268 years there doesn't seem to much incentive to behave or to take a controlled risk at the time the crime is being committed does there...?
Old 03-14-2009, 12:02 AM

Thanked 1,701 Times in 851 Posts

268 is just a number. Could have just as easily been 110 or 310. They are just saying this guy has done crimes so often, his chances are now up. Society does not want to deal with him any longer. The exact number is sort of irrelevant. Just as long as it's long enough to make darn sure he never comes out alive.

It's sad but true. No one gets unlimited chances in life, whether it's 3 strikes, 5 strikes or whatever. If you can't reform and behave yourself, eventually you run out of chances.