Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > Death Row & Capital Punishment Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Death Row & Capital Punishment Discussions Discussions relating to inmates on Death Row / facing capital punishment in the United States and abroad that don't fit into any of the other forums

Old 12-23-2019, 04:21 AM

Default Trying To Think Like a Doomed Realist On Death Row

THOUGHTS OF AN UNINCARCERATED PERSON,
ONE TRYING TO THINK LIKE A DOOMED REALIST ON DEATH ROW

CONTROVERSIAL QUESTION:

WHEN A CRIMINAL IS SENTENCED TO DEATH IN AMERICA AND THE SENTENCE IS CARRIED OUT, IS THE "Pleasant, Peaceful, Painless Passing" OF THE MENACE TO SOCIETY AS MUCH OF A BLESSING TO THE MENACE, to the malefactor, AS IT IS TO THE SOCIETY, to "people of the United States" [a] WHOSE LEGITIMATE INTERESTS [b] ARE WELL SERVED BY THE EXECUTION?

[a] Constitution of the United States

[b] not only legitimate interests such as " . . . justice . . . domestic tranquillity . . . [and] the general welfare" [a] but also the people's interest in there being government spending of an acceptable sort, a proper sort, the sort where as much of the spending as possible benefits ONLY law-abiding citizens or the entire law-abiding population and as little money as possible is spent on unconscionable lawbreakers, that is to say, on incorrigible troublemakers whose damnable crimes and indefensible actions have done serious harm to one or more fellow Americans or some other person or persons

FOUR-PART ANSWER TO THE QUESTION, an answer largely consisting of worldly suppositions:

SECULAR MUSINGS OF A DEATH ROW INMATE

I. Exceedingly Compact CHRONOLOGY
II. Honest, Unhurried, Big House THINKING
III. Execution Chamber EPIPHANY
IV. Dark, Deprecatory AFTERWORD

NO CONSCIOUSNESS OF ANY KIND BEFORE CONCEPTION | and | ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE BEGINNING OF TIME

THEN . . .

AN OCCASIONAL AWARENESS THAT LACKING CONSCIOUSNESS OF ANY KIND IS THE CASE WITH NEARLY EVERYTHING | throughout | THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE

THEN . . .

NO CONSCIOUSNESS OF ANY KIND AFTER DEATH | and | FOREVERMORE

To the best of my knowledge and belief, | I DID NOT EXIST AND WAS NEVER CONSCIOUS | prior to my conception in a womb. | [ NONEXISTENCE and NO CONSCIOUSNESS WHATSOEVER for at least 13.8 BILLION YEARS ]

And to the best of my knowledge, | I WILL NO LONGER EXIST after I die AND WILL NEVER AGAIN BE CONSCIOUS. | [ NONEXISTENCE FOREVERMORE and NO CONSCIOUSNESS WHATEVER ]

One could say, therefore, that present periods of undisturbed and dreamless UNCONSCIOUSNESS, | of uninterrupted and very sound sleep, | are a return to NORMALITY, to NORMALCY, to a time before conception, | a time of NO SUBSISTENCE, NO SENSIBILITY, and " . . . no . . . mourning or crying or pain, . . . " | (Revelation 21:4, NIV)

SHEER NONEXISTENCE AND ZERO CONSCIOUSNESS are the be-all of nonbeing and the end-all of being | and amount to naught but A STATE, so to speak, OF ABSOLUTE NOTHINGNESS, | A MERE VOID that is every single individual's TRUE NATIVE SOIL and PRINCIPLE PLACE OF RESIDENCE | in this dark and pointless* universe.

*"If there is no Creator, then the universe does not exist for a purpose."

And, if nothing else, each and every former nonentity alive today and facing certain annihilation | should endeavor to spend hours and hours quietly and contentedly occupying | his or her CUSTOMARY PLACE in the overall scheme of things, | that is to say, | his or her REAL HOME in this colossal and cold and cavernous cosmos.

For to every pitiful, perishable person upon this terrestrial globe is given but one chance to live, | naught but a single, small sip from the titanic, topfull Tankard of Reality, | which means that every single person has not only just one brief, mortal existence | in which to experience again and again, | be it ever so slightly, | the startling similarity between an ordinary, narcotizing afternoon nap | and | the COMPLETE ABSENCE OF CONSCIOUSNESS | that prevailed throughout the entirety of AN EARLIER NONEXISTENCE | but also just one brief, earthly sojourn | in which to acquire and to savor, | even if only notionally, | a great many tantalizing, tranquilizing foretastes | of the TOTAL AND INTERMINABLE BLACKOUT awaiting all sentient beings at death-- | naught, I say, but one lifetime, one lifelong opportunity, | to undergo daily or almost daily ante-mortem obliterations, | as it were, | of every thought and feeling and of every trace of individuality, | an opportunity unsought and irksome, to be sure, | but also lasting only as long as an ever-aging, ever-endangered soul | can continue to inhale and exhale upon this obscure, bluish globule, | this wet and rocky planet endlessly whirling through endless space | while swiftly and silently and ceaselessly orbiting a nearby star.

While still alive and kicking, then, | I should devote much of my remaining time | to being either fast asleep and completely oblivious to the troublesome, tiresome cares and concerns of this life | or else wide-awake and exceedingly grateful for deep slumber, | for recurrent states of sumptuously silken and supremely satisfying UNCONSCIOUSNESS, | of blessedly obliterative INSENTIENCE, | an assuasive INSENTIENCE often lasting for hours.

THE MOST TRAGIC EVENTS in every person's life are a person's very own CONCEPTION AND BIRTH,

[an opinion perhaps shared by the author of Ecc 4:3]

which makes every person's DEATH, | every new case of UTTER UNCONSCIOUSNESS FULLY RESTORED, | a HAPPY ENDING.

[an opinion clearly shared by the author of Ecc 4:2]

ECCLESIASTES 4:2-3; 1:18; 9:5, NIV:

2 And I declared that the dead,
who had already died,
are happier than the living,
who are still alive.

3 But better than both
is the one who has never been born,
who has not seen the evil
that is done under the sun.

18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
the more knowledge, the more grief.

In other words,
the more consciousness, the more grief,
and
the less consciousness, the better,

5 For the living know that they will die,
but the dead know nothing; . . .

QUESTION

HOW CAN A PRISONER CONDEMNED TO DIE MAKE THE MOST OF HIS OR HER FINAL DAYS (or years) OF LIFE UPON THIS BEASTLY AND BLOODSTAINED, TINY AND TRULY AWFUL PLANET?

ANSWER

IN ADDITION TO ENJOYING A LIFE OF EASE--ALBEIT ONE BEHIND BARS--AND CONTINUING TO VALUE AND SUSTAIN A FAIRLY SOUND MIND IN A FAIRLY SOUND BODY, A DEATH ROW INMATE CAN SPEND AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE BEING DEEPLY UNCONSCIOUS, THAT IS TO SAY, WHOLLY AND COMPLETELY UNAWARE OF THE FROTHY AND FLEETING PERSONAL EXISTENCE ABOUT TO BE EXTINGUISHED, AN EXISTENCE NOT UNLIKE THAT WHICH COUPLES EVERYWHERE ARE EITHER THOUGHTLESSLY OR HEARTLESSLY IMPOSING UPON POOR, UNFORTUNATE, UNCONSENTING OFFSPRING, UPON HAPLESS, HELPLESS INFANTS BEING DRAGGED WITHOUT MERCY INTO AN ALIEN AND UNAPPEALING WORLD, A WORLD NOT ONLY WIDELY REGARDED AS AN UNSETTLED AND UNSAFE PLACE TO BE BUT A WORLD WHICH REALLY AND TRULY IS INHERENTLY UNSTABLE AND TERRIBLY INSECURE AND THEREFORE ENTIRELY UNSUITABLE FOR THE CHILDREN OF PARENTS WHO CLAIM TO LOVE THEIR KIDS AND WANT WHAT'S BEST FOR THEM.*

*IN BRINGING AN INNOCENT CHILD INTO THIS INIQUITOUS AND TURBULENT WORLD, CRIMINALLY CARELESS OR UNCARING ADULTS SET THAT YOUNGSTER ON A COLLISION COURSE WITH DANGERS AND DISEASES, WITH DIFFICULTIES AND DISAPPOINTMENTS AND DISCOMFORTS, WITH DISAGREEABLE PAIN OR PERHAPS A DISHEARTENING DISABILITY, WITH DESPICABLE PEOPLE AND DETESTABLE PESTS AND PATHOGENS, WITH UNTOLD HEADACHES AND HEARTACHES, AND WITH THE VERY REAL POSSIBILITY OF AN EARLY AND/OR UNTIMELY DEMISE.

OLD QUESTION:

When a criminal is sentenced to death in America and the sentence is carried out, is the PLEASANT, PEACEFUL, PAINLESS PASSING of the menace to society as much of a blessing to the menace as to the society?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2019, 12:29 AM

The answer to your question is i don't believe so
Old 12-25-2019, 09:36 AM
The perfect bad example

Some see the glass half-full while others view it as half-empty.

From your post, do you see that same glass as; needs to be shattered?

Does anyone spiral into control?
Old 12-26-2019, 02:00 PM

Our lifetimes are short in the scheme of things and I believe everyone born is in pursuit of joy and happiness and meaning. So with that being said when we decide to rob another of fulfilling their pursuit it is either out of self serving at the expense of another or to protect others from individuals who have by their actions denied others of that pursuit. So the question becomes are we living in ways that bring more harm or good to ourselves and others? And do we deserve to exist if we have destroyed the existance of others?
Old 12-27-2019, 01:08 AM

There's a false premise to this very, um, winded query, which is that the passing in question is PLEASANT, PEACEFUL, and PAINLESS. I don't believe it ever is.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:01 AM

GREETINGS, Born, e-Tex, Desertdweller11, and Taliba00!

Born (Post #2):

AllarGoners:

It is written:

"People will not believe something just because you do.
Let them hear your reasons.
If your reasons make sense, you may convince them."

Born, I now know that you do not agree that an execution by lethal injection in America is as much of a blessing to a criminal as to the country.
However, I do not yet know why you disagree.
May I "hear your reasons"?

(I suspect that your reasons are ones of a religious nature, but that is just a guess. : - > )

e-Tex (Post #3):

5 OPTIONS:

a half-empty glass
a glass only half full
a glass only half empty
a half-full glass
no glass at all

Inasmuch as all four glasses with contents are identical in every respect, the only choice actually given to an individual on death row is a choice between A GLASS WITH SOMETHING IN IT and NO GLASS AT ALL.

And in order to make an informed decision, a prisoner sentenced to die must first know what is in the glasses.

A heavenly nectar?
A toxic brew?
An obnoxious but innoxious beverage of some sort such as, say, lukewarm water with little more than just a hint of a fruity flavour?

In the case of a death row inmate, the glasses are highly unlikely to hold a heavenly nectar or anything else even remotely savory or satisfying, and, that being the case, NO GLASS AT ALL--or possibly a shattered one--may very well be what is most in keeping with a constantly confined and definitely doomed realist's own personal preference.

Desertdweller11 (Post #4):

Our lifetimes are short in the scheme of things and I believe everyone born is in pursuit of joy and happiness and meaning. So with that being said when we decide to rob another of fulfilling their pursuit it is either out of self serving at the expense of another or to protect others from individuals who have by their actions denied others of that pursuit. So the question becomes are we living in ways that bring more harm or good to ourselves and others? And do we deserve to exist if we have destroyed the existance of others?

AllarGoners' TAKE ON THE ABOVE TEXT:

Life is short, and everyone is endeavoring to experience as much happiness and as little unhappiness as possible and to find as much meaning in life as possible.

A criminal inevitably hinders someone somewhere from either finding or enjoying and perpetuating happiness.

In order to prevent a criminal from ever again doing so, a society sometimes ends a criminal's life.

In ending a criminal's life, a society fully and forevermore protects everyone on earth from the criminal.

However, in ending a criminal's life, a society also puts its own interests ahead of those of the criminal and prevents the criminal from ever finding happiness and fulfillment.

All persons ought to be frequently asking themselves whether their way of life is furthering or impeding their own or others' efforts both to maximize happiness and to find ever greater meaning in life.

If someone doesn't care about other people's happiness and well-being but is instead KNOWINGLY and NEEDLESSLY and SERIOUSLY diminishing other people's quality of life, SHOULD THE EXISTENCE OF THAT TROUBLEMAKER BE TERMINATED, terminated without undue pain, of course, but also without a lengthy delay or any compunction?

OTHER THOUGHTS:

If decent, caring, law-abiding human beings' subsolar lives are ever to become just as good as they can possibly be upon this gyrating globe, then a great many unenlightened, immature, and misbehaving world citizens will first have to come to their senses* and agree with their more enlightened, more mature, and more well-behaved neighbors that blessed SOLUTIONS ARE infinitely BETTER THAN accursed PROBLEMS, and all will then have to start taking very much to heart the lessons of World War I as regards the cheapness and violability of human life in a momentous struggle and begin to favor government authorities responding WITH A VENGEANCE** to every sort of grievously antisocial and intolerable behavior.

*Has any prescribed cure for the ills of society--any time-honored ism or ology, any especially popular, newfangled notion--ever proven to be a better antidote for what ails society than a first-rate and unfailing kindness, than a never-ending endeavoring always to GO WHERE THE GOOD LIES, than a superlative use of common sense and a common courtesy practiced to perfection?

** "Because wrongdoing is not punished swiftly and severely, a great many individuals do not hesitate to engage in evil." (Ecclesiastes 8:11)

Taliba00 (Post #5):

There's a false premise to this very, um, winded query, which is that the passing in question is PLEASANT, PEACEFUL, and PAINLESS. I don't believe it ever is.

AllarGoners:

Then please allow me to assure you, Taliba00, that there has been at least one execution that was mostly PLEASANT, mostly PEACEFUL, and practically PAINLESS.

A relative of one of Timothy McVeigh's Oklahoma City bombing victims (19 April 1995) was allowed to witness Mr. McVeigh's death by lethal injection (11 June 2001) and was not at all happy about the difference between the way in which Mr. McVeigh died and the way in which his victims had died. Her complaint was that McVeigh's victims had suffered horrible deaths in clouds of dust and heaps of rubble but that McVeigh had appeared simply to fall asleep.

And if I be not mistaken, the same article also reported that McVeigh had looked in the direction of the gallery only one time and, while doing so, had smiled, smiled at least slightly, faintly.

Anyway, ALL THE BEST TO ALL FOUR OF YOU!
Old 01-19-2020, 01:56 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,898 Times in 17,032 Posts

Hmmmm.....I take offense on My Mr's and my own behalf in being referred to as unenlightened, immature, and misbehaving. And I must beg to differ that those who favor government authorities responding WITH A VENGEANCE** to every sort of grievously antisocial and intolerable behavior are more enlightened, more mature, and more well-behaved.

By whose standards And why are (your / your god's) standards correct and the only standards by which to measure one's enlightenment, maturity, and behavior?

PTO is a loved-ones-of-the-incarcerated support site, a prison support site, a site that welcomes (in your words) those that are unenlightened, immature and not so well-behaved. PTO is also non-judgemental and, per PTO policy, not the place to debate whether or not anyone should be in prison, should prisoners and their families have rights or what kind of punishments should be meted out to the guilty (see HERE).

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
e-Tex (01-19-2020), LifeTraveler (02-20-2020), MizzyMuffling (01-19-2020), She'sMyAngel (01-19-2020), Taliba00 (01-20-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 02:10 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,290 Times in 2,188 Posts

Do you even have experience with prison either first hand or as a loved one? My very personal opinion is that you just needed to write this all down to be controversial and to get a reaction out of people. You did and now go back and read "A Stable Genius"...
patchouli (01-19-2020), Peacefinder (01-19-2020), Taliba00 (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 05:34 AM

[quote=MrAllarGoners;7808058]GREETINGS, Born, e-Tex, Desertdweller11, and Taliba00!

Born (Post #2):

AllarGoners:

It is written:

"People will not believe something just because you do.
Let them hear your reasons.
If your reasons make sense, you may convince them."

Born, I now know that you do not agree that an execution by lethal injection in America is as much of a blessing to a criminal as to the country.
However, I do not yet know why you disagree.
May I "hear your reasons"?

(I suspect that your reasons are ones of a religious nature, but that is just a guess. : - > )

My reasoning has nothing to do with religion. But more so to do with humans and humanity. Not everyone who is imprisoned is guilty of their crime and a lot of people on death row are innocent people who have been and will continue to be executed. Not so much by society or by the country as you put it, but rather by our governments. Also because the current penal system dictates that one is guilty until proven innocent and there's not much assistance available to prove ones innocence.

Now we come to the murders, rapists and criminals, before we judge these people we first have to ascertain what made them commit the crime in the first place. Were they once victims themselves? were they raped, beaten, abused. Do they suffer from mental health? are they depressed, delusional, bipolar? Was the crime in self defense? Were they protecting their family, a loved one. And lastly what kind of an environment did they grow up in? were they rich, poor, indifferent?

A lot of people around the globe are desensitized to killings and murder due to war, video games, killings, TV shows like CSI, Crime Movies, Documentaries and shootings. A lot of people have the copycat attitude and will go on killing sprees. for the notoriety and five minutes of fame. Again we don't know what their though processes are nor would i want to.

Irrespective of why a murder was committed we as humans should not take the stance of judge or prosecutor. It's not our god given right.

I know that there are a lot of people out there whom are grieving because they have lost a loved one to murder and or crime. And if you've ever had the chance to speak with them you will find that all that the grieving family wants is closure. They're not after revenge. They just want to know and understand why their loved one was taken away from them. And whether or not they suffered.

Last edited by Born; 01-20-2020 at 05:37 AM..
Old 01-22-2020, 04:03 AM

Greetings, patchouli, MizzyMuffling, & Born!

Gomer Pyle: "Surprise, surprise, surprise!"

AllarGoners:

"You've sure got that right, Gomer."

patchouli, MizzyMuffling, and Born, my plan is to return to a library with a PC, type up your posts, and go to work on a reply.

Born, thank you for taking the time to explain to me some of your thinking. I will surely be giving your explanation a good deal of thought.

patchouli, you left me FLABBERGASTED. For more reasons than just one. However, I did begin asking myself, "Is this not a "Death Row & Capital Punishment Discussions" thread? I checked, and it is. But I also read the fine print: "Discussions relating to inmates on Death Row / facing capital punishment in the United States and abroad that don't fit into any of the other forums."

I didn't recall that information. So if I missed a mark in any way on account of my negligence or forgetfulness, I APOLOGIZE.

All the best to all three of you!
The Following User Says Thank You to MrAllarGoners For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-22-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 06:32 PM

Umm.... you know, at a younger more stupid age I was pro DP. As I've aged I've learnt better, and of course it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind. lol.

But guys, I cannot for the life of me decipher the intent of the OP. I like to think I'm a woman of at least average intelligence and yet still, WTH was this post even really about? Please, if I'm missing something, enlightened this idiotic soul.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to She'sMyAngel For This Useful Post:
Ann Onimous (02-16-2020), patchouli (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 07:03 PM
Until the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by She'sMyAngel View Post
Umm.... you know, at a younger more stupid age I was pro DP. As I've aged I've learnt better, and of course it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind. lol.

But guys, I cannot for the life of me decipher the intent of the OP. I like to think I'm a woman of at least average intelligence and yet still, WTH was this post even really about? Please, if I'm missing something, enlightened this idiotic soul.....
Hey, if you find that out, please let me know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Visitor611 For This Useful Post:
Ann Onimous (02-16-2020), She'sMyAngel (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor611 View Post
It also occurs to me that we are all doomed from the day we are born.... so isn't the human condition that our mortal vessels have limited life anyway.....
The Following User Says Thank You to She'sMyAngel For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (02-20-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 09:13 AM
Green Eyed Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor611 View Post
Lord, I thought it was just me.

The Following User Says Thank You to 4Bobby For This Useful Post:
Ann Onimous (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Bobby View Post
Lord, I thought it was just me.
Nope. Not just you.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:54 AM
The perfect bad example

This thread's theme song should be

*The Twilight Zone*

Does anyone spiral into control?
Old 02-20-2020, 05:35 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,428 Times in 1,742 Posts
Default The Lion's Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAllarGoners View Post
THOUGHTS OF AN UNINCARCERATED PERSON,
ONE TRYING TO THINK LIKE A DOOMED REALIST ON DEATH ROW

CONTROVERSIAL QUESTION:

WHEN A CRIMINAL IS SENTENCED TO DEATH IN AMERICA AND THE SENTENCE IS CARRIED OUT, IS THE "Pleasant, Peaceful, Painless Passing" OF THE MENACE TO SOCIETY AS MUCH OF A BLESSING TO THE MENACE, to the malefactor, AS IT IS TO THE SOCIETY, to "people of the United States" [a] WHOSE LEGITIMATE INTERESTS [b] ARE WELL SERVED BY THE EXECUTION?

[a] Constitution of the United States

[b] not only legitimate interests such as " . . . justice . . . domestic tranquillity . . . [and] the general welfare" [a] but also the people's interest in there being government spending of an acceptable sort, a proper sort, the sort where as much of the spending as possible benefits ONLY law-abiding citizens or the entire law-abiding population and as little money as possible is spent on unconscionable lawbreakers, that is to say, on incorrigible troublemakers whose damnable crimes and indefensible actions have done serious harm to one or more fellow Americans or some other person or persons

FOUR-PART ANSWER TO THE QUESTION, an answer largely consisting of worldly suppositions:

NO CONSCIOUSNESS OF ANY KIND BEFORE CONCEPTION | and | ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE BEGINNING OF TIME

THEN . . .

AN OCCASIONAL AWARENESS THAT LACKING CONSCIOUSNESS OF ANY KIND IS THE CASE WITH NEARLY EVERYTHING | throughout | THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE

THEN . . .

NO CONSCIOUSNESS OF ANY KIND AFTER DEATH | and | FOREVERMORE

To the best of my knowledge and belief, | I DID NOT EXIST AND WAS NEVER CONSCIOUS | prior to my conception in a womb. | [ NONEXISTENCE and NO CONSCIOUSNESS WHATSOEVER for at least 13.8 BILLION YEARS ]

And to the best of my knowledge, | I WILL NO LONGER EXIST after I die AND WILL NEVER AGAIN BE CONSCIOUS. | [ NONEXISTENCE FOREVERMORE and NO CONSCIOUSNESS WHATEVER ]

One could say, therefore, that present periods of undisturbed and dreamless UNCONSCIOUSNESS, | of uninterrupted and very sound sleep, | are a return to NORMALITY, to NORMALCY, to a time before conception, | a time of NO SUBSISTENCE, NO SENSIBILITY, and " . . . no . . . mourning or crying or pain, . . . " | (Revelation 21:4, NIV)

SHEER NONEXISTENCE AND ZERO CONSCIOUSNESS are the be-all of nonbeing and the end-all of being | and amount to naught but A STATE, so to speak, OF ABSOLUTE NOTHINGNESS, | A MERE VOID that is every single individual's TRUE NATIVE SOIL and PRINCIPLE PLACE OF RESIDENCE | in this dark and pointless* universe.

*"If there is no Creator, then the universe does not exist for a purpose."

And, if nothing else, each and every former nonentity alive today and facing certain annihilation | should endeavor to spend hours and hours quietly and contentedly occupying | his or her CUSTOMARY PLACE in the overall scheme of things, | that is to say, | his or her REAL HOME in this colossal and cold and cavernous cosmos.

For to every pitiful, perishable person upon this terrestrial globe is given but one chance to live, | naught but a single, small sip from the titanic, topfull Tankard of Reality, | which means that every single person has not only just one brief, mortal existence | in which to experience again and again, | be it ever so slightly, | the startling similarity between an ordinary, narcotizing afternoon nap | and | the COMPLETE ABSENCE OF CONSCIOUSNESS | that prevailed throughout the entirety of AN EARLIER NONEXISTENCE | but also just one brief, earthly sojourn | in which to acquire and to savor, | even if only notionally, | a great many tantalizing, tranquilizing foretastes | of the TOTAL AND INTERMINABLE BLACKOUT awaiting all sentient beings at death-- | naught, I say, but one lifetime, one lifelong opportunity, | to undergo daily or almost daily ante-mortem obliterations, | as it were, | of every thought and feeling and of every trace of individuality, | an opportunity unsought and irksome, to be sure, | but also lasting only as long as an ever-aging, ever-endangered soul | can continue to inhale and exhale upon this obscure, bluish globule, | this wet and rocky planet endlessly whirling through endless space | while swiftly and silently and ceaselessly orbiting a nearby star.

While still alive and kicking, then, | I should devote much of my remaining time | to being either fast asleep and completely oblivious to the troublesome, tiresome cares and concerns of this life | or else wide-awake and exceedingly grateful for deep slumber, | for recurrent states of sumptuously silken and supremely satisfying UNCONSCIOUSNESS, | of blessedly obliterative INSENTIENCE, | an assuasive INSENTIENCE often lasting for hours.

THE MOST TRAGIC EVENTS in every person's life are a person's very own CONCEPTION AND BIRTH,

[an opinion perhaps shared by the author of Ecc 4:3]

which makes every person's DEATH, | every new case of UTTER UNCONSCIOUSNESS FULLY RESTORED, | a HAPPY ENDING.

[an opinion clearly shared by the author of Ecc 4:2]

ECCLESIASTES 4:2-3; 1:18; 9:5, NIV:

2 And I declared that the dead,
who had already died,
are happier than the living,
who are still alive.

3 But better than both
is the one who has never been born,
who has not seen the evil
that is done under the sun.

18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
the more knowledge, the more grief.

In other words,
the more consciousness, the more grief,
and
the less consciousness, the better,

5 For the living know that they will die,
but the dead know nothing; . . .

QUESTION

HOW CAN A PRISONER CONDEMNED TO DIE MAKE THE MOST OF HIS OR HER FINAL DAYS (or years) OF LIFE UPON THIS BEASTLY AND BLOODSTAINED, TINY AND TRULY AWFUL PLANET?

ANSWER

IN ADDITION TO ENJOYING A LIFE OF EASE--ALBEIT ONE BEHIND BARS--AND CONTINUING TO VALUE AND SUSTAIN A FAIRLY SOUND MIND IN A FAIRLY SOUND BODY, A DEATH ROW INMATE CAN SPEND AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE BEING DEEPLY UNCONSCIOUS, THAT IS TO SAY, WHOLLY AND COMPLETELY UNAWARE OF THE FROTHY AND FLEETING PERSONAL EXISTENCE ABOUT TO BE EXTINGUISHED, AN EXISTENCE NOT UNLIKE THAT WHICH COUPLES EVERYWHERE ARE EITHER THOUGHTLESSLY OR HEARTLESSLY IMPOSING UPON POOR, UNFORTUNATE, UNCONSENTING OFFSPRING, UPON HAPLESS, HELPLESS INFANTS BEING DRAGGED WITHOUT MERCY INTO AN ALIEN AND UNAPPEALING WORLD, A WORLD NOT ONLY WIDELY REGARDED AS AN UNSETTLED AND UNSAFE PLACE TO BE BUT A WORLD WHICH REALLY AND TRULY IS INHERENTLY UNSTABLE AND TERRIBLY INSECURE AND THEREFORE ENTIRELY UNSUITABLE FOR THE CHILDREN OF PARENTS WHO CLAIM TO LOVE THEIR KIDS AND WANT WHAT'S BEST FOR THEM.*

*IN BRINGING AN INNOCENT CHILD INTO THIS INIQUITOUS AND TURBULENT WORLD, CRIMINALLY CARELESS OR UNCARING ADULTS SET THAT YOUNGSTER ON A COLLISION COURSE WITH DANGERS AND DISEASES, WITH DIFFICULTIES AND DISAPPOINTMENTS AND DISCOMFORTS, WITH DISAGREEABLE PAIN OR PERHAPS A DISHEARTENING DISABILITY, WITH DESPICABLE PEOPLE AND DETESTABLE PESTS AND PATHOGENS, WITH UNTOLD HEADACHES AND HEARTACHES, AND WITH THE VERY REAL POSSIBILITY OF AN EARLY AND/OR UNTIMELY DEMISE.

OLD QUESTION:

When a criminal is sentenced to death in America and the sentence is carried out, is the PLEASANT, PEACEFUL, PAINLESS PASSING of the menace to society as much of a blessing to the menace as to the society?
Mr. AllarGoners, I don’t know that I entirely disagree with your perspective on the death penalty, but the way you express yourself has a lot of room for improvement. The Gomer Pyle bit……this is not a website that is to do with a 1960s Hollywood comedy sitcom, sir. Those of us that are part of this online community, we don’t come here for the purpose of carrying on as if life were a joke and the best way to deal with our problems is to laugh it off. The point being what, you may ask? Try showing some respect instead of showing your backside.

The Death Penalty debate, I struggle with that issue. Before 1989, the time in which began going to prison here in Texas which is my home, I didn’t believe in the death penalty. I thought it was morally wrong. I also feared for the poor that may be or will be executed for a crime they didn’t commit and it’s happened on more than one occasion. When money is the difference between the right thing being done or not being done at all concerning something this serious……well…..that’s a matter that needs to be corrected, seriously corrected.

Texas leads the nation in executions. It prides itself concerning this matter, so much in fact, Texas has led the nation in executions since 1976, if I’m not mistaken. When they say “don’t mess with Texas”, it’s no joke.
I was in prison at the Gurney unit in Tennessee Colony when they executed Karla Faye Tucker back 1998 and to this day, it saddens me when I think of her execution. That was wrong. This woman actually testified on behalf of the State in the trial/conviction of the guy who plotted what took place. I’ve never heard of anyone being executed who testified on behalf of the State to convict someone else. Not like that.

On the other hand, when I think of someone like Kenneth McDuff or Henry Lee Lucas or Spencer Goodman……..the death penalty wasn’t good enough for these three. Kenneth McDuff is without a doubt the most extreme example of someone who had been on death row, got off of death row, got out of prison and then murdered twice as many people as he did to begin with when he was placed on death row the first time. There’s not a word or phrase ever written to define or describe just how insanely evil this guy was. Henry Lee Lucas…..he was much the same. Spencer Goodman….murdered the wife of Bill Ham. Bill Ham was the manager for Z.Z. Top and Clint Black at one time.

The world is a better place because of people who are against the death penalty, but for some of us, it’s not an issue or a question of what is moral. It’s the breath of the lion that causes some of us to feel the way we do who’ve been to prison. Concerning prison, it is one thing to speak of what goes on in the lion’s den if you’ve never done time. It is one thing to see what goes on there from a distance on this side of the razor wire. It’s another thing altogether to have lived in the lion’s den and felt the breath of fear, sexual assault, helplessness, gang rape and the presence of the gangs and predators….that is what it means to have the felt the lion’s breath upon you. No, I was never sexually assaulted in prison or jail. I was always a little bigger than the average person in there and I’ve always been willing to stand up for myself. So, for me, the predators in prison were not the issue or the concern that they are for some men.

Still, I’ve been very close to some circumstances that cut me to the bone and because of what I’ve been exposed to, I am for the death penalty, but it’s a different kind of penalty by death that I’m all about. Death is too good for some of the men I’ve done time with. Men that rape other men and what I’ve witnessed in the 18 years spent behind bars……death is not good enough for some of the monsters I’ve had to live around.

Prison is the lesser of evils compared to death and yet, for some men…..death is too good for the evils they’ve committed and the victims they have created. The world is a better place because of people like you who are against the death penalty, but the world is a very real place among those of us who believe in it because we know what it is to have felt the lion’s breath upon our face while doing what we can to survive in the lion’s den.

Last edited by Firebrand; 02-20-2020 at 05:37 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firebrand For This Useful Post:
Born (02-20-2020), LifeTraveler (02-20-2020), thetenderheart (02-21-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 08:09 PM

I would like very much for AllarGoners to come back and explain himself. He's obviously riled up a few people on here and has gotten on their wrong side. I don't believe in the death penalty due to the reasons that i have given above. But that is my own opinion.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
Mr. AllarGoners, I don’t know that I entirely disagree with your perspective on the death penalty, but the way you express yourself has a lot of room for improvement. The Gomer Pyle bit……this is not a website that is to do with a 1960s Hollywood comedy sitcom, sir. Those of us that are part of this online community, we don’t come here for the purpose of carrying on as if life were a joke and the best way to deal with our problems is to laugh it off. The point being what, you may ask? Try showing some respect instead of showing your backside.

The Death Penalty debate, I struggle with that issue. Before 1989, the time in which began going to prison here in Texas which is my home, I didn’t believe in the death penalty. I thought it was morally wrong. I also feared for the poor that may be or will be executed for a crime they didn’t commit and it’s happened on more than one occasion. When money is the difference between the right thing being done or not being done at all concerning something this serious……well…..that’s a matter that needs to be corrected, seriously corrected.

Texas leads the nation in executions. It prides itself concerning this matter, so much in fact, Texas has led the nation in executions since 1976, if I’m not mistaken. When they say “don’t mess with Texas”, it’s no joke.
I was in prison at the Gurney unit in Tennessee Colony when they executed Karla Faye Tucker back 1998 and to this day, it saddens me when I think of her execution. That was wrong. This woman actually testified on behalf of the State in the trial/conviction of the guy who plotted what took place. I’ve never heard of anyone being executed who testified on behalf of the State to convict someone else. Not like that.

On the other hand, when I think of someone like Kenneth McDuff or Henry Lee Lucas or Spencer Goodman……..the death penalty wasn’t good enough for these three. Kenneth McDuff is without a doubt the most extreme example of someone who had been on death row, got off of death row, got out of prison and then murdered twice as many people as he did to begin with when he was placed on death row the first time. There’s not a word or phrase ever written to define or describe just how insanely evil this guy was. Henry Lee Lucas…..he was much the same. Spencer Goodman….murdered the wife of Bill Ham. Bill Ham was the manager for Z.Z. Top and Clint Black at one time.

The world is a better place because of people who are against the death penalty, but for some of us, it’s not an issue or a question of what is moral. It’s the breath of the lion that causes some of us to feel the way we do who’ve been to prison. Concerning prison, it is one thing to speak of what goes on in the lion’s den if you’ve never done time. It is one thing to see what goes on there from a distance on this side of the razor wire. It’s another thing altogether to have lived in the lion’s den and felt the breath of fear, sexual assault, helplessness, gang rape and the presence of the gangs and predators….that is what it means to have the felt the lion’s breath upon you. No, I was never sexually assaulted in prison or jail. I was always a little bigger than the average person in there and I’ve always been willing to stand up for myself. So, for me, the predators in prison were not the issue or the concern that they are for some men.

Still, I’ve been very close to some circumstances that cut me to the bone and because of what I’ve been exposed to, I am for the death penalty, but it’s a different kind of penalty by death that I’m all about. Death is too good for some of the men I’ve done time with. Men that rape other men and what I’ve witnessed in the 18 years spent behind bars……death is not good enough for some of the monsters I’ve had to live around.

Prison is the lesser of evils compared to death and yet, for some men…..death is too good for the evils they’ve committed and the victims they have created. The world is a better place because of people like you who are against the death penalty, but the world is a very real place among those of us who believe in it because we know what it is to have felt the lion’s breath upon our face while doing what we can to survive in the lion’s den.
I think you have more or less stated what everyone else wishes to express but didn't have the words to say so.

Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
Firebrand (02-20-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Tex View Post

lol!!
Old 04-02-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdweller11 View Post
Perhaps that is the simplest form to deal with morality. If it causes bad for others, it is bad.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:22 AM

I was totally lost in the initial post, but I would say two things:

1) What is the death penalty? They take you to prison and take you out in a box. What is life without parole? They take you to prison and take you out in a box.

2) I think it's great lesson to people that if there's someone you don't know what to do with, you just can't seem to reach them, they just do horrible things - then you kill them. Hmm. I know a lot of people whose bosses and spouses probably make them feel that way. Good lesson!

I guess I can handle the idea of the death penalty for truly the worst of the worst. Jeffrey Dahlmer, Timothy McVeigh, the inventors of astroturf and clamshell packaging. Truly, just the worst of the worst, and unrepentant to boot.